Don't have an account? Create one!

Meaning of Life

AuthorMessage
Shadows of the Past
Killjoy
Shadows of the Past
January 6th, 2007 at 12:22pm
What, in your opinion right at this moment, is your purpose in life? Do you think every person has a purpose? What happens if you don't live up to your purpose?
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
January 6th, 2007 at 02:19pm
I believe life to be a game, kinda like survival of the fittest. That the last person left will be the winner.
I think that things are thrown into it, like global warming and "natrual" diasters to test us, I think that is only one true winner and everyone else is put here as things to make the game more interesting.
I don't think we have a purpose other than to await the winner, who could come at any time, they could even be on this world right now, they could even be me or you.
Total Phreek
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Total Phreek
January 7th, 2007 at 04:39am
The answer to life, the universe and everything: 42! Sorry, quote from Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, i couldn't help myself!
Personally i believe we are just a fluke of nature, we are just able to live in out very delicate environment. To live on earth and be able to live on water and crops and animals and things like that. In the perfect temperature of us, if we were anywhere else in out solar system we would pretty surely die, but where we are at the moment we are in a perfect balance. It is truly amazing.
As for myself i really see no point in my life full stop. I am still wondering if i have a purpose, i think everyone must have a purpose, they have to do something in life, even if it is not huge and was really small like have a child who has a purpose or something like that. I don't know what my purpose is, lately i have been wondering if i have one but there is still a bit in me that is looking, but i am afraid i will searching forever...
K.i.m.m.e.h
Joining The Black Parade
K.i.m.m.e.h
January 7th, 2007 at 09:39am
Angel of Darkness:
The answer to life, the universe and everything: 42! Sorry, quote from Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, i couldn't help myself!
Personally i believe we are just a fluke of nature, we are just able to live in out very delicate environment. To live on earth and be able to live on water and crops and animals and things like that. In the perfect temperature of us, if we were anywhere else in out solar system we would pretty surely die, but where we are at the moment we are in a perfect balance. It is truly amazing.
As for myself i really see no point in my life full stop. I am still wondering if i have a purpose, i think everyone must have a purpose, they have to do something in life, even if it is not huge and was really small like have a child who has a purpose or something like that. I don't know what my purpose is, lately i have been wondering if i have one but there is still a bit in me that is looking, but i am afraid i will searching forever...

I must second 42!

I'm still trying to figure that one out. I think that we have a reason for being here, and that most people don't know, nor will they ever, know why. I've also wondered, if we have a pupose, and we don't fufill it, are we reincarnated so that we may try again? And if we are, is there a limit to the number of times we can be reincarnated.

Sorry about kinda changing the subject...
bloodredruby69
Banned
bloodredruby69
January 7th, 2007 at 06:01pm
The straight answer, the harsh truth is that we are here to;
mature, reproduce and die. In that order.
We are only here to further our species, and the same can be said of anything else.

But that is the purpose of existance, not the philosophy of living.
xXDr. KrazyXx
Fabulous Killjoy
xXDr. KrazyXx
January 8th, 2007 at 12:09am
We are here to breed, nothing more, nothing less. Whether we fullfill this doesn't matter. Whether we do something we see as 'important' and make a change in the world doesn't matter, either. The way we live, we die from memory eventually also. Truth is, we will be dethroned eventually as top of the foodchain and we will simply be dogs.
the.sound.of.black
Jazz Hands
the.sound.of.black
January 8th, 2007 at 12:15am
My_only_fan_is_me:
We are here to breed, nothing more, nothing less. Whether we fullfill this doesn't matter. Whether we do something we see as 'important' and make a change in the world doesn't matter, either. The way we live, we die from memory eventually also. Truth is, we will be dethroned eventually as top of the foodchain and we will simply be dogs.
well said.
the original JULES
Demolition Lover
the original JULES
January 9th, 2007 at 02:05am
bloodredruby69:
The straight answer, the harsh truth is that we are here to;
mature, reproduce and die. In that order.
We are only here to further our species, and the same can be said of anything else.

But that is the purpose of existance, not the philosophy of living.

That might be what a scientist will tell you.
And, though technically speaking, you're right: that is the purpose of existance - but only for some.
Those that believe in a religion or faith might have a completely different view on their purpose of existance.
And that's where the argument of religion vs. science comes back into action.
Of course, I agree with you Ruby. But I don't believe that's the sole purpose of existence.

I think we are here to teach. We teach ourselves, based on our experiences, and we teach others. I believe that if nothing else - if not to become a saint, or to fulfill a prophecy - we are teachers. That's it.
Some of us have more expertise in different aspects of life: both literally and emotionally.
For example, I've never personally - or known anyone close to me that has - experienced say, rape. So I can only give you minimal advice on that. But someone who has been involved in that situation can teach you, help you to learn, give advice, share an educated perspective, etc.

That's what I think we're all here for. In one way or another, we're here to help each other survive, in more than a scientific way.
i'm_not_okay_07
Killjoy
i'm_not_okay_07
January 9th, 2007 at 04:06pm
I believe everybody is here for a purpose and that they will work it out as they grow older. x
Not.To.Be.Noticed.
Killjoy
Not.To.Be.Noticed.
January 9th, 2007 at 04:46pm
We are. These two short words are the base of everything - every thought, speech and action. Because every aspect of our lives could be defined as just being - we try to understand the purpose of it. Every single one of us has asked these questions, even if we don't want to admit it: 'Why am I here? Why am I?!'. And they are the incorrect questions. Before we start thinking about the purpose of our lives, we have to find out who we are. And that is the hardest part of all.
Only after answering that question, we can start thinking about why we are who we are. Then comes the part that everyone tries to get right at the start: why do we exist?
I didn't get to that part yet, therefore there's nothing left for me to say.

Of course they are just my own, personal thouhts that probably are completely wrong.
lover of others
Bleeding on the Floor
lover of others
January 9th, 2007 at 04:47pm
I think that the meaning of life is the search for the meaning itself. The goals we try to accomplish and the questions we try to find an answer to are the meaning. Those things give our life a greater purpose and inspire our way of living and our life.
Casimir Pulaski Day
Shotgun Sinner
Casimir Pulaski Day
January 10th, 2007 at 12:52am
Right now I feel like it is to be 'stepped-on.' Not much of a purpose, but then again I can change that.

I do think everybody has a purpose, though. They just have to find it. Whether it be now, or on your deathbed. . . You have changed somebody's life, maybe even without knowing it.
rachi_left4deadx_x
Motor Baby
rachi_left4deadx_x
January 10th, 2007 at 12:09pm
Girl:
Right now I feel like it is to be 'stepped-on.' Not much of a purpose, but then again I can change that.

I do think everybody has a purpose, though. They just have to find it. Whether it be now, or on your deathbed. . . You have changed somebody's life, maybe even without knowing it.

Yes, I agree!
Demented
Killjoy
Demented
January 10th, 2007 at 11:07pm
Questioning life and existance makes you realize thats there isnt much out there of a purpose. As much as I've wondered of what my purpose is, I failed miserably to come up with a solution/conclusion/answer. I can stay up for hours wondering why I am here and nothing comes to mind. Yet its best not to know all the answers. I think we need to grow, learn and live and hopefully at the end of our lives we get a glimpse of our accomplishments in life.
knights of cydonia.
Salute You in Your Grave
knights of cydonia.
January 11th, 2007 at 12:05am
Demented:
Questioning life and existance makes you realize thats there isnt much out there of a purpose. As much as I've wondered of what my purpose is, I failed miserably to come up with a solution/conclusion/answer. I can stay up for hours wondering why I am here and nothing comes to mind. Yet its best not to know all the answers. I think we need to grow, learn and live and hopefully at the end of our lives we get a glimpse of our accomplishments in life.

Exactly. To me, basically the whole meaning of life is actually living. Learning from mistakes and bad experiences, creating memories of both joy and misery, to strive in life and make something of ourselves. For some people, there might not even be a meaning of life. I guess it all just depends on what we think. On our outlook on actual life. Not even science can tell us that.
setmybodyonfiresoica
Demolition Lover
setmybodyonfiresoica
January 11th, 2007 at 10:32am
To say the meaning of life is to live is a direct understatemet.
snow at christmas.
Crash Queen
snow at christmas.
January 11th, 2007 at 10:31pm
42 is not the meaning of life.
It's just the answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything.

I don't really think there is one, except to try and live it in a way that you're satisfied when it's over.
I don't feel like there's some grand power, I do feel that there is a general tendency to have working together end up with better results than otherwise. And I don't think that was the phrasing I wanted, and I think I'm getting off topic.
*shuts up*
mercy in the sky.
Shotgun Sinner
mercy in the sky.
January 12th, 2007 at 03:34am
None of us have any way of knowing.
So it's hard for me to have an opinion on it...

I'm more fascinated with death than life, I think.
geradsredskittle666
Really Not Okay
geradsredskittle666
January 12th, 2007 at 04:44am
We have a porpuse.....im just not sure what mine is......everyones porpose is different....it depends on our natural talents i think....if you don't live up to you porpose you die away
Names are stupid!
Shotgun Sinner
Names are stupid!
January 12th, 2007 at 10:50am
My purpose is to appreciate good music or write books i haven't decided yet