Don't have an account? Create one!

Meaning of Life

AuthorMessage
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
March 30th, 2010 at 05:28pm
So you say the meaning of life is to be better than the Joneses?
Nova Cara Do Mal
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Nova Cara Do Mal
April 1st, 2010 at 11:38am
merlin.:
So you say the meaning of life is to be better than the Joneses?

Who?? lol
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
April 1st, 2010 at 06:08pm
Wow.

Okay.

"Better than the people around you."
Nova Cara Do Mal
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Nova Cara Do Mal
April 2nd, 2010 at 10:25am
merlin.:
Wow.

Okay.

"Better than the people around you."

Lol i meant who was you talkin to. XD
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
April 3rd, 2010 at 12:22am
You.
stockholm syndrome.
Awake and Unafraid
stockholm syndrome.
April 3rd, 2010 at 07:51pm
I think the meaning of life is proving that you're not worthless; that there was a reason why you were born. All you have to do is find it.
Nova Cara Do Mal
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Nova Cara Do Mal
April 4th, 2010 at 08:44am
@ merlin.

In that case then no, only to become the person you want to be and prove everyone who doubted you wrong.
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
April 4th, 2010 at 11:18am
I don't think that the meaning of life involves being superior than anybody else, as you've said

TheFucking scene kid:
you become more successful or happier then they are. Yes

everyone is successful in their own way. just because you may make more money than them, does money equal happiness? who says a person wants to be a huge CEO to a big company? maybe their views of success involve getting a good, stable job that may not pay the best but makes them happy. you may be a CEO to Apple, but they have their own job they enjoy doing. does that mean you're more successful? technically, yes, but from a different perspective, no. I don't think huge success has anything to do with anything.

it's what makes YOU happy as a person that counts. the meaning of life is the person as a whole and their likes and dislikes.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
April 4th, 2010 at 10:53pm
lycia.:
maybe their views of success involve getting a good, stable job that may not pay the best but makes them happy. .

Or not even having a job, and staying on the road experiencing life as it comes to them. I would be miserable doing that, but some people would be miserable in my place, so I can't assume I am "more successful."
Ashez1819
Killjoy
Ashez1819
April 7th, 2010 at 05:22pm
I think the meaning of life is to actually do something with yourself. You should make people know you rather it's for becomeing a famous scientist or just voliteering once or twice a week somewhere. You don't have to go to the extreme or anything just follow you're dream and keep perservering, die happy, I think that's the purpose.
Nova Cara Do Mal
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Nova Cara Do Mal
April 13th, 2010 at 10:20am
lycia.:
I don't think that the meaning of life involves being superior than anybody else, as you've said

TheFucking scene kid:
you become more successful or happier then they are. Yes

everyone is successful in their own way. just because you may make more money than them, does money equal happiness? who says a person wants to be a huge CEO to a big company? maybe their views of success involve getting a good, stable job that may not pay the best but makes them happy. you may be a CEO to Apple, but they have their own job they enjoy doing. does that mean you're more successful? technically, yes, but from a different perspective, no. I don't think huge success has anything to do with anything.

it's what makes YOU happy as a person that counts. the meaning of life is the person as a whole and their likes and dislikes.

wel i may have worded it wrong... I meant it as a "become what people said you wouldnt"
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
April 13th, 2010 at 05:33pm
It IS good to compete against what is perceived as the norm or against people's perceptions of you, but what happens when people stop doubting you and start just watching you succeed because you're good at it and it's enjoyable to see you work? There's no more drive, if that was your only drive to begin with.

if you don't get my meaning, I can use myself as an example of "people watching." I have had very little support as a professional photographer (my dream career), but I decided I could prove to everyone that I could succeed - I launched a facebook fan page and started getting fans, and at first I had a lot of support, but now it's really just silent for the most part. People like seeing what I do, but there's no more negativity to keep me going or anything.

In some cases, people would lose their drive and start slightly faltering at that point, either hitting a plateau or slowly declining. If the meaning of life to you is to achieve your dreams, using others' negativity only gets you so far.
lolis12007
Really Not Okay
lolis12007
April 14th, 2010 at 10:20pm
I do not know the purpose of my life as of right now but i do have a feeling that one of the greratest purposes for me in my future life is to be a very great mom and wife. I do not know why i feel this but its something i have felt for a very long time. I think one knows their purpose in life rarely, they find out what it is in their death bed knowing that they didnt have to do anything and all they
(that person on the death bed) ever wanted to fullfill or do was done to their best of their ability making that purpose real. If people know the purpose of their life and are vwery ambitious or something, mayube when they reach their goal or purpose from an instant their life may become meaningless if they have nothing to do anymore after they have fullfilled their purpose in life.
the_black_parader
Thinking Happy Thoughts
the_black_parader
April 15th, 2010 at 06:10pm
ok i know theres a religion thread BUT i think the meaning of life is to praise God.
Alexface.
Salute You in Your Grave
Alexface.
April 19th, 2010 at 02:48pm
I don't think life really has or needs a meaning. Life's great, why should we sit and think about what it means? Whatever the supposed meaning is, we're alive anyway, we may as well enjoy it while it lasts.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
August 21st, 2010 at 12:03pm
Lovesick Melody.:
merlin.:
And it's not because something is meant to happen. It's just because, whoops, these atoms touched these other atoms by chance.

So like a sequence of chemical accidents? I think that's what you meant, and I totally agree.

Other animals are born simply to reproduce. Their main goal in life is to mate and produce offspring so their genes are inherited. It could be said that we are simply vehicles to genes. I wonder what makes humans think we are any special, like you said before. How are we any different to animals around us? Why should we be considered biologically special?
I think that a lot of people (and by a lot, I do not mean all) can't accept that we don't have a higher purpose other than reproduction, and subseqeuntly turn to religion and creationism to explain a special purpose in our existance.

Why should humans be any different to the drives of reproduction in animals?

(did I go a little bit off topic? :/)

It kind of overlaps with the way people look at the meaning of life. I, as a person who believes in science over religion, see all organisms as things that want to reproduce and produce offspring before we die.

Lovesick Melody made this post on the Evolution and Religion board, and I kind of thought it fit here.
I think we are just vehicles for our genes. The purpose for which we were "created" is simply to reproduce. But I think we're at the point where we consciously realize this and have the capability to control it to some degree. Just the fact that we realize there might be a meaning and purpose of life means that we will try to create one, and now that instinct isn't the only driver of our behavior, this "meaning" is what gets us up in the morning, what keeps us from becoming spiritually empty shells .
hunteri heroici.
Always Born a Crime
hunteri heroici.
August 25th, 2010 at 10:57am
Pauvre-fille.:
I think part of finding the meaning of life is to question why we are here.
And we partially create our own meaning in life, by doing what you believe in and doing what gives you joy. I think that's as good a purpose as any, to find joy in life.

Also, helping people and last but not least, reproducing .
K.K.
Bleeding on the Floor
K.K.
August 26th, 2010 at 06:47am
the_black_parader:
ok i know theres a religion thread BUT i think the meaning of life is to praise God.

I'm pretty certain about the meaning of my life on this world, whatever anyone else may be, and I do think it is all about religion.
poetic tragedy.
Awake and Unafraid
poetic tragedy.
August 26th, 2010 at 01:37pm
i believe that the meaning of life is to find the meaning of life.
and to find the meaning of life; you live.