Don't have an account? Create one!

Pledge of Allegiance

AuthorMessage
Mr.Armstrong
Awake and Unafraid
Mr.Armstrong
February 7th, 2007 at 04:38pm
i feel there is no need to sing the pledge of allegiance in school!but then again when you sing the anthem your showing respect for the country!and your staying in the country so i think you have to show respect!!waht do you guys think about that?
Casimir Pulaski Day
Shotgun Sinner
Casimir Pulaski Day
February 7th, 2007 at 07:13pm
Excentrique:
How do you feel about this?
What would you say if your school made you sing your country's nation anthem in a different language?
Do you think it's right for students to protest and refuse to sing it in any other language than the language of the country they live in?

Well, if you are pledging for the country, I see it this way. . . in the constitution, which is obviously a huge part of this country, you pledge for the freedom of speech. So, technically, nobody can really force you to say anything you don't want to. (< if that made any sense).

If you don't want to do it, don't. You cannot be forced to.
MistressRhi
Motor Baby
MistressRhi
February 7th, 2007 at 07:48pm
I don't think it's right, i think that if you live in a predominately English speaking country then you should speak and sing in English and if you have another language speak/sing it at home. If you were in Germany/Spain/France etc they would not do it for you.
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
February 8th, 2007 at 08:11pm
People keep comparing America to countries like Spain / France / Norway / Azerbijan / wherever. But I don't think you really can compare America to countries like that. America is made up entirely of immigrants (except for a tiny portion of Native Americans, but let's be realistic here). We're not an Old World country over here. Since white people got here, the culture and language of America has always been dictated by immigrants. It's not fair to say that just because one group of immigrants got here first, they get to decide what language everyone talks in all the time.
Oxycontin Genocide.
Banned
Oxycontin Genocide.
February 10th, 2007 at 02:20pm
Resurgam:
People keep comparing America to countries like Spain / France / Norway / Azerbijan / wherever. But I don't think you really can compare America to countries like that. America is made up entirely of immigrants (except for a tiny portion of Native Americans, but let's be realistic here). We're not an Old World country over here. Since white people got here, the culture and language of America has always been dictated by immigrants. It's not fair to say that just because one group of immigrants got here first, they get to decide what language everyone talks in all the time.

I agree. The pledge of allegiance is American, not English. This country is supposed to be a country for all races and languages, so saying the pledge of allegiance in any language should be encouraged. Personally, I don't like the pledge of allegiance because of the words "Under God", because I am not Christian and I shouldn't have to have Christianity shoved down my throat everyday, but that's a whole other thing.
MerciPourLeVenin_XXX
Really Not Okay
MerciPourLeVenin_XXX
February 18th, 2007 at 10:48am
When I was younger, everyone said it because we had too. For the past two years, my 1st period teachers didn't make us say it, but made us stand and put our hands over our hearts. There are maybe 2 or 3 in my class that actually say it.
There was an article about a girl getting expelled for bringing a Bible to school and reading it in her spare time. If we can't do that, then why can we say One nation, under God?
IXPROMISE
Jazz Hands
IXPROMISE
February 20th, 2007 at 02:12pm
i think we should always say it
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
February 20th, 2007 at 04:25pm
i'm surprised no one has brought this up yet.
you don't have to say it even in english, so there's no way in hell that they can constitutionally force kids to say it in a different language.
don't aim to please.
Banned
don't aim to please.
February 22nd, 2007 at 12:56am
nobody in my school really says it anymore or even stands up. not cuz we're unpatriotic...it's just annoying.
highwaytohell
Killjoy
highwaytohell
February 23rd, 2007 at 09:32am
I have no problem with it.
But its Your choice whether to say it or not.
I personally dont say it,
because i dont think i should plegde my love for a country to an Unanimous object.
S713
Joining The Black Parade
S713
February 24th, 2007 at 05:28pm
I agree. The pledge of allegiance is American, not English. This country is supposed to be a country for all races and languages, so saying the pledge of allegiance in any language should be encouraged. Personally, I don't like the pledge of allegiance because of the words "Under God", because I am not Christian and I shouldn't have to have Christianity shoved down my throat everyday, but that's a whole other thing.[/quote]

It can be any god you want it to be. It doesn't have to be the Christian one. Also, you are not FORCED to say any of it. If you are talk to your administrator, unless its a private school.

If you are a legal US citizen and want to say it in another language go ahead.
But, if you live in America, and want to be able to communicate with other people in America. Learn how to speak it. The USA has to stop catering to everybody. If I went to another country I wouldn't expect them to print everything in American English.. or learn it just for me.
Illegal immigrants come over the US border every day. Since then, I can't get a landscaping or construction job almost anywhere, all my instructions are in Spanish, and they get mad at me when I can't understand what they are saying. Also, when they call the fire department, they sometimes shoot at them because they think the firefighters/paramedics are police that are going to take them back to Mexico (or elsewhere). So now I have to learn Spanish so I dont get shot.

Besides that, Maryland wants to give them free/Assisted tuition, to pay for them to go to college... WTF? I live here, and they won't do that for me. They won't even give the fire department enough money to maintain its paramedic equipment and fire apparatus. But, they will give people who are not even citizens free education and get out of jail free cards. If they want to live here, they should become legal citizens....

Sorry, for getting a little sidetracked... Those last two paragraphs probably deserve their own topic..
echo lawrence.
Jazz Hands
echo lawrence.
February 24th, 2007 at 05:30pm
I don't say the pledge, and I won't until it truly stands for 'liberty and justice for all'. EVERYONE.
And I don't like the 'under god' bit.
S713
Joining The Black Parade
S713
February 24th, 2007 at 05:40pm
Lucent.dossierxlizz:
I don't say the pledge, and I won't until it truly stands for 'liberty and justice for all'. EVERYONE.

As nice as it sounds, it's impossible to ever have.
echo lawrence.
Jazz Hands
echo lawrence.
February 24th, 2007 at 05:46pm
LVFD:
Lucent.dossierxlizz:

As nice as it sounds, it's impossible to ever have.

Then I guess I'll never say it. :/
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
February 24th, 2007 at 06:41pm
LVFD:
If you are a legal US citizen and want to say it in another language go ahead.
But, if you live in America, and want to be able to communicate with other people in America. Learn how to speak it. The USA has to stop catering to everybody. If I went to another country I wouldn't expect them to print everything in American English.. or learn it just for me.
Illegal immigrants come over the US border every day. Since then, I can't get a landscaping or construction job almost anywhere, all my instructions are in Spanish, and they get mad at me when I can't understand what they are saying. Also, when they call the fire department, they sometimes shoot at them because they think the firefighters/paramedics are police that are going to take them back to Mexico (or elsewhere). So now I have to learn Spanish so I dont get shot.

Besides that, Maryland wants to give them free/Assisted tuition, to pay for them to go to college... WTF? I live here, and they won't do that for me. They won't even give the fire department enough money to maintain its paramedic equipment and fire apparatus. But, they will give people who are not even citizens free education and get out of jail free cards. If they want to live here, they should become legal citizens....

Sorry, for getting a little sidetracked... Those last two paragraphs probably deserve their own topic..

But other countries are different from America. America is a country of immigrants, where everything, language included, is dictated by immigrants.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but I highly doubt that it's really impossible for you to get some sort of job to fit your needs. It's likely that any illegal Mexican immigrants working landscaping are making just enough to scrape by a living for their family, which I'd guess you would not be doing. The same with breaks on college tuition; I don't think free-rides are the way to go unless college education is made free, but I'm willing to bet that it's easier for you to pay for college than the children of / illegal Mexican immigrants.

Getting citizenship in the US is no picnic. My parents are Irish and were both here illegally for a while. My mother was only able to get a green card and citizenship because her sister was already a citizen here, and my dad because the company he was working for helped him out. Most of the Mexican immigrants in this country are extremely hard-working and I think it's rude to assume they wouldn't enter the country legally if that was really an option.
S713
Joining The Black Parade
S713
February 24th, 2007 at 09:06pm
But other countries are different from America. America is a country of immigrants, where everything, language included, is dictated by immigrants.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but I highly doubt that it's really impossible
-------------------------------------------------------
I didn't say it was impossible. And I did eventually get one, until we went out of business, because a new one moved in across the street.. you can guess who worked for them... until the INS paid i little visit.
--------------------------------------------------------

for you to get some sort of job to fit your needs. It's likely that any illegal Mexican immigrants working landscaping are making just enough to scrape by a living for their family, which I'd guess you would not be doing. The same with breaks on college tuition; I don't think free-rides are the way to go unless college education is made free, but I'm willing to bet that it's easier for you to pay for college than the children of / illegal Mexican immigrants.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
You'd be wrong. If they want to live in America, they should be American citizens. Its not my job as a US citizen to pay for Mexican citizens.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Getting citizenship in the US is no picnic. My parents are Irish and were both here illegally for a while.

My mother was only able to get a green card and citizenship because her sister was already a citizen here, and my dad because the company he was working for helped him out. Most of the Mexican immigrants in this country are extremely hard-working
and I think it's rude to assume they wouldn't enter the country legally if that was really an option.[/quote]
It IS an option. Other people did it. They can do it to. Why should they recieve benefits just because they are not legal residents.
bloodredruby69
Banned
bloodredruby69
February 25th, 2007 at 12:18am
This is a thread for discussing the Pledge of Allegiance.
If you would like to discuss Illegal Immigrations, there is a thread around here
somewhere for it, and you can talk about it there.
You just have to surf the pages and find it.

Lets get back onto this topic when in here, ok?
jedicam10
Fabulous Killjoy
jedicam10
March 6th, 2007 at 09:13pm
I stoped doing it in 4th grade.

But as an athiest, they should take out the "Under God" part. That's my only complaint.
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
March 6th, 2007 at 10:21pm
jedicam10:
I stoped doing it in 4th grade.

But as an athiest, they should take out the "Under God" part. That's my only complaint.

I agree.
Especially since it wasn't there to start with.
jedicam10
Fabulous Killjoy
jedicam10
March 6th, 2007 at 11:15pm
Christian-Based Americans did that. I think thet added it in the 60's.