Don't have an account? Create one!

Pledge of Allegiance

AuthorMessage
Beeblebrox
Really Not Okay
Beeblebrox
July 13th, 2007 at 05:57pm
An interesting point of view, I DO believe in god, very much so and have never had a problem speaking the pledge. However, I do feel it is very wrong to continue using that phrase when your country boasts freedom of religion (which includes the choice of none).

I respect those who choose not to believe and I really feel that our country is in error by keeping it in for "sake of tradition". Isn't that what the amendments to the constitution are for, change? We've set up a system of government to adapt to an ever changing society and yet the pledge is somehow off-limits.

As much as I'd love everyone to believe in my loving, accepting god and for us all to stand united in faith, I have no delusions of granduer. Everyone is different and faith should always be an option, not a requirement. It must be realized that our founding fathers were flawed and short-sighted, as hard as that may be to imagine.
eepshyes
Shotgun Sinner
eepshyes
July 13th, 2007 at 06:54pm
I don't think you should be forced to
pledge your allegiance to anything.
I do not say the pledge of allegiance.
I'm not going to promise my loyalty to any country.
MrRandomGuy
Fabulous Killjoy
MrRandomGuy
July 13th, 2007 at 07:21pm
I don't mind the Pledge said in another language, but being forced to do it? That violates our rights and no one should be forced to do it.
dont stop.
Salute You in Your Grave
dont stop.
July 13th, 2007 at 07:39pm
I remember when I was in bilingual classes that they made us the Pledge of Allegiance for Mexico.
I refused.
I didn't want to.
I found it extremely racist, I'm not Mexican.
I'm from Colombia.
This is the problem about america, you take the most popular of each race and use that to stereotype that certain race.

I'm not going to 'pledge my allegiance' until you grow a brain, until when you talk about latinos you don't call us mexican.
Until one of your presidents, governors, representatives don't stand up and leave when a Colombian president comes into the room.

Until when I try to get into a certain school people ask me for my documents, like I'm illegal or something.

And if I come into the room with a red shirt they pull me into a counselors office and start asking me questions.

Until on May 5th people don't sit by me and say; 'viva mexico!'

Until people don't assume that I can't speak english.

Until people stop asking me if I sell weed.
Oxycontin Genocide.
Banned
Oxycontin Genocide.
July 13th, 2007 at 08:41pm
MrRandomGuy:
I don't mind the Pledge said in another language, but being forced to do it? That violates our rights and no one should be forced to do it.

Ummm... you're forced to go to school... so, why not?
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
July 16th, 2007 at 07:02pm
Because with the right to free speech, you have the right to be silent as well. You have to go to school, you don't have to express their opinions though...as long as it's a public school anyway.

vampires_hurt_me
Fabulous Killjoy
vampires_hurt_me
July 17th, 2007 at 06:30pm
I don't think it's a problem to say the US Pledge of Allegiance in any language.

I do think it's wrong to force people to say ANY pledge, whatsoever. It doesn't matter what country, what language, or what planet you're on, you shouldn't be FORCED to say it.

However, I do think the way that Chandra Carlson went about protesting was wrong. You NEVER sit down during a pledge. Be it for your country, in your language, for someone else's country, you could be singing the national anthem of Gay and Lesbian Kingdom of the Coral Sea Islands; I quite frankly don't care. It's a greater show of disrespect to sit during someone else's anthem, or even their butchered version of YOUR anthem, than whatever that person is doing. You don't have to sing the anthem or scream the pledge from a mountain top, all you have to do is stand out of grudging respect.
gerardislove
Fabulous Killjoy
gerardislove
July 19th, 2007 at 01:55am
At this point in my life I don't believe in god, but i still say the pledge. I just skip the "under god" part.
But I also believe that people should not be forced to say it, like our teacher forced my class to.
So I also believe that we shouldn't be forced to say it in any other language.
Beeblebrox
Really Not Okay
Beeblebrox
July 20th, 2007 at 07:34pm
Domo;;:

That's your choice, but that's kind of sad. It's also kind of an insult to people who pledge their lives for you country so it can be free. These people risk their lives and die for you to have the freedoms you have. To promise loyalty to your country is upholding those freedoms.
KateConspiracy
Killjoy
KateConspiracy
July 21st, 2007 at 06:03am
druscilla; ryry:
America has no national language, erego I see no problem with it.
I don't think anyone should be forced to say the pledge in any language, however.

I agree, Americans come from all over the world, and we have not national language. But, as was said, i don't think we should have to say it at all if we don't want to. I respect my country, but wasting five minutes of my time during homeroom to recite something i've said almost everday since i was in kindergarten is unnessacary when i can be writing, reading or doing something else more useful.
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
July 21st, 2007 at 06:08am
Beeblebrox:
Domo;;:

That's your choice, but that's kind of sad. It's also kind of an insult to people who pledge their lives for you country so it can be free. These people risk their lives and die for you to have the freedoms you have. To promise loyalty to your country is upholding those freedoms.

You don't swear allegiance to any of the people risking their lives, you swear allegiance to the republic--ie, the government, not the military.

ImNotOkay3505
Salute You in Your Grave
ImNotOkay3505
July 21st, 2007 at 06:24am
Domo;;:

same here. we had to say it every morning last year and i would just stand there and my teacher yelled at me. she said "UNLESS YOU ARE A JAHOVAS WITNESS [sp?] EVERYONE SHOULD SAY THE PLEDGE." i think it goes against our rights. if i wasnt a christian, i wouldnt like to have to say "under god" every morning in school.
ImNotOkay3505
Salute You in Your Grave
ImNotOkay3505
July 21st, 2007 at 06:25am
Caitlin Caustic;;:
You don't swear allegiance to any of the people risking their lives, you swear allegiance to the republic--ie, the government, not the military.
exactly.
ImNotOkay3505
Salute You in Your Grave
ImNotOkay3505
July 21st, 2007 at 06:27am
Oxycontin Genocide.:
MrRandomGuy:

Ummm... you're forced to go to school... so, why not?
you have a point.
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
July 21st, 2007 at 07:07am
unapologetic apathy.:
Domo;;:

same here. we had to say it every morning last year and i would just stand there and my teacher yelled at me. she said "UNLESS YOU ARE A JAHOVAS WITNESS [sp?] EVERYONE SHOULD SAY THE PLEDGE." i think it goes against our rights. if i wasnt a christian, i wouldnt like to have to say "under god" every morning in school.

That's untrue. The original case did involve Jehovah's Witnesses, but the ruling applies to everyone.

eepshyes
Shotgun Sinner
eepshyes
July 29th, 2007 at 11:49pm
Beeblebrox:
Domo;;:

We have freedom. For the time being.
Our government can take that away at any moment.
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
July 30th, 2007 at 12:52am
Just another thought:

If you want to support people who've risked their lives for our country, why do it by saying words they'll never hear? Sure, it's symbolic and all, but there are countless war veterans living on the streets and in shelters because they could never readapt to society, or because they had troubles finding jobs, or for any number of reasons...I think it's a hell of a lot more disgraceful and disrespectful to them to allow that to happen than it is to sit down during the pledge. It may be cliche, but actions really do speak louder than words.

Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
July 30th, 2007 at 01:22am
Audrey Hepburn.:

Our government can only take away our freedoms if we allow it to. That's why it's every American's civic duty to vote in politicians who will represent their best interests and make sure our freedoms are protected. Sure, it's idealistic, but it's only when people assume the defeatist attitude that they cannot affect change in their government that democracy starts to fail. That's why I have no problem with saying the Pledge; it pledge's allegiance to a united republican government with liberty and justice for all ("republican" as in "a government in which supreme power resides in a body of citizens entitled to vote and is exercised by elected officers and representatives responsible to them and governing according to law", not the political party). I see nothing wrong with that.
Carrie White
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Carrie White
July 30th, 2007 at 02:04am
i think that a child should say the pledge in their own language. being forced to say it in another language is immoral. they cant force you to do anything in school, they cant even force you to say the pledge (I've never actually said it. I'd stand, sometimes put my hand on my heart but i never said it). and why just learn one thing in that language. you can say the pledge in the language, but not anything else. its really stupid that they even came up with this.
Carrie White
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Carrie White
July 30th, 2007 at 02:07am
Audrey Hepburn.:
Beeblebrox:
Domo;;:

actually they cant in the bill of rights and the declaration of indepence clearly says we have freedom and justice and because of this they cant just take it away