Don't have an account? Create one!

Pledge of Allegiance

AuthorMessage
Rhys Webb
Awake and Unafraid
Rhys Webb
September 18th, 2007 at 04:29am
i just stand, and look at the flag. to be honest i refuse to say it because i do not completely agree with it, especially the fact that "one nation under god" is in there, because that was NOT the original writing to begin with. and i certainly do not agree with it being on out currency as well. but you need to use the money, right? we really have no say in that one.
river phoenix.
Salute You in Your Grave
river phoenix.
September 18th, 2007 at 02:45pm
It seems much more logical to say it in English, even if it is the only thing you can say in English. Nearly everyone in the US speaks English as a first or second language, so... I dunno, it just seems right to me that it should be in the most spoken language
Eight Bitter Years.
Killjoy
Eight Bitter Years.
July 31st, 2008 at 07:14pm
I dont mind the language thing, because america has no forced language, but i dont think people should have to recite it at all. especially the line "under god" because of the suppossed separation of church and state. that line should be taken out. I have no religion and it angers me that i am forced to make it sound like I do.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 31st, 2008 at 08:09pm
olafmychem:
but i dont think people should have to recite it at all. especially the line "under god" because of the suppossed separation of church and state. that line should be taken out. I have no religion and it angers me that i am forced to make it sound like I do.

You don't have to say it. You don't even have to stand if you don't want to, it's polite to stand, but I don't think you have too.

A lot of people mentioned that the words 'under god' are not in the 'original' version of the pledge so I decided to look up what the 'original' version was.

This pledge was created in 1892:
"I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

In 1923 it was changed to:
"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

and in 1954 the controversial 'under god' was added. Personally I like the 1923 version best.

As far what language to say it in, I say whatever language you want. Those who have French class during the morning announcements at my school say it in French. You shouldn't be forced to say it in another language, but if english isn't your first language, I see no problem with saying it whatever is your first language.
xxWolvenPrincessxx
Joining The Black Parade
xxWolvenPrincessxx
August 5th, 2008 at 10:57am
I see no problem with it but when you force a kid who doesn't believe in the line "one nation under god" there could be problmes. But it's really not a problem when you have kids recite the pledge in another language that just gives them a chance to learn another language.
IceHog69
Bulletproof Heart
IceHog69
August 5th, 2008 at 12:42pm
I think that you should be able to say the Pledge of Allergiance in your native language, if you have to say it in anyother language. It is generally accepted that the USA is and English speaking country, and therefore, that ino would be the first choice and seeing as I think it was most likely written in English, that again would a pretty good reason to say it in English, but if you want to say it in your native language, go ahead. I think it is a bit weird for say and italian kid to say it is say, spanish, italian, sure, english, sure, but not spanish. If you live in a predominantly spanish speaking neighborhood, then, yes, but if it's just a random language, then no. I think it should eb said in the most common language in the area, and if you take the entire of the US, that is most likely english, but if you go more local, it changes.

What I love about America is it's patriotism, and the sheer love for the country. Other countries are almost embarresed about their identity, but America screams it for the world to hear. There is nothing wrong with loving your country. The UK has lost it's sense of identity. The british people that have been there for generations are afraid to say 'I'm British', incase they get called racist, and the immigrants that come in from various places in the world, don't get to feel like they are part of a country. In America it's different, people are accepted, and welcomed, and I love that. I was in a diner the other day, and this family came in, and they were obviously tourists, and everyone stared, and the mom looked scared, but they came in, and sat down, and when they came back in the next day, everyone smiled, and I thought, that is great, to be able to love your country so much, yet still accept that other people are there. It makes me proud.
Craig Mabbitt
Really Not Okay
Craig Mabbitt
August 6th, 2008 at 04:16am
live the life.:
i just stand, and look at the flag. to be honest i refuse to say it because i do not completely agree with it, especially the fact that "one nation under god" is in there, because that was NOT the original writing to begin with. and i certainly do not agree with it being on out currency as well. but you need to use the money, right? we really have no say in that one.

Same here. I'm not exactly the most 'Patriotic' person around, and, it would be a lie to recite it myself, in my opinion.
Not that I don't like America and all, but, I really hate how it's being run.
VeexVenom
Thinking Happy Thoughts
VeexVenom
August 11th, 2008 at 05:57pm
live the life.:

Just a question.
If that wasn't the original writing of the Pledge, then what was?
the desperate ranks.
Always Born a Crime
the desperate ranks.
August 11th, 2008 at 06:17pm
As much I believe whole-heartedly in God, I don't think they should have it in the Pledge of Allegiance. Much of the US population is Christian, but not all of it. It's not necessary, and truly, I think it contradicts the first amendment; it's almost like advertising a certain religion. And absolutely no one should be forced to recite it. If you don't believe in God, and it goes against your beliefs, don't say "one nation under God." I wouldn't if I wasn't a Christian. As an American, you have freedom of religion, speech, and expression. Be proud of what you believe in.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
August 11th, 2008 at 08:37pm
Victoria-Venom_MCR:

Just a question.
If that wasn't the original writing of the Pledge, then what was?

Eponine:

This pledge was created in 1892. It was meant to be able to be used by many countries:
"I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

In 1923 it was changed to:
"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

and in 1954 the controversial 'under god' was added.
Rexperience
Bleeding on the Floor
Rexperience
August 11th, 2008 at 10:21pm
^ Thats really intersting to see the history of the pledge. My APUS teacher said the "Under God" was added to separate us from the Commies during the Cold War, which seams like a pretty lame, political reason for it.

I for one think "God" should not be there, or it the g should atleast be uncapitalized. But I feel that of all the problems in the world, we sould not waste our time and money with two printed words.

I problably sure you don't have to say it if you don't want to, but I can bet teachers would freak. I can remember in 6th grade when I lazily stood up and had on lag bent backwards on my chair. My teacher stood by me till I realized what was happening and then made a comment how we "need to be respectful" afterwards. ~ Rex
G Way
Jazz Hands
G Way
August 15th, 2008 at 01:18pm
I don't say the under god part because it makes me mad that I have to conform to society because they think that all people should be believers in god. I personally don't believe in god and do not like to pretend to believe in something that I don't believe in. The pledge type thing bothers me. Any type of thing the government forces on us (besides some laws of course) bothers me because we live in America where we have the choice to do things, and the government shouldn't make us say that. I refuse to say "under god"
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
August 15th, 2008 at 07:28pm
Disenchanted Parade:
I don't say the under god part because it makes me mad that I have to conform to society because they think that all people should be believers in god.

Only not. I think what Kind Rex said above was right. That is was added to separate us from communists. While that might have been deemed necessary during the cold war, it is definitely not needed now.

Any type of thing the government forces on us (besides some laws of course) bothers me because we live in America where we have the choice to do things, and the government shouldn't make us say that. I refuse to say "under god"

The 'government' can't make you say anything. (Really no one can make you do anything) You could be a hardcore communist, but unless you where threatening lives they aren't (or shouldn't be) allowed to do anything to you.
Rexperience
Bleeding on the Floor
Rexperience
August 16th, 2008 at 12:49am
^ Well said, but you are pressured in school cause other wise you have to explain yourself an it's almost impossible to not look anti-american.

Now this might just be a false memory, but before 9/11 did we only say the pledge once a week and then after we started to say it everyday? Maybe i only remember saying it more after the tragedy...
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
August 16th, 2008 at 01:51am
I don't really remember (I was in fourth grade) I went to a really weird public school, and we always listened to this song that I think was a little patriotic, but not a lot. I think we also said the pledge everyday, but they didn't make us say it, they just made us stand up. After it happened they sang the national anthem everyday.

As for now, almost no one in my class says the pledge. I guess I just go to a really unpatriotic school.
Rexperience
Bleeding on the Floor
Rexperience
August 17th, 2008 at 03:19am
^ Wow, I hardly knew that was possible. My village is rather sheltered and (on the surface) quite conservative.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
August 17th, 2008 at 10:22am
Well I go to a public intercity school, and the city I live in is rather liberal, while the whole state is really conservative.
jazmine richardson
Killjoy
jazmine richardson
September 2nd, 2008 at 09:35pm
that is absolutely the most rediculous thing i have ever heard in my entire life. our fore-fathers are are rolling over in their graves.
MilitaryFairy
Killjoy
MilitaryFairy
September 7th, 2008 at 07:29pm
I don't think we should be forced to sing it in other languages, because we're Americans, hello. This is America. We have a right to sing our anthem in our native language.

But I don't see a problem letting immigrants or people with cultured background sing it in their language. Because America is supposed to welcome everyone...
Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
September 8th, 2008 at 01:56am
Has anyone else lately had their state pledge changed? In Texas, we say a pledge of allegiance to the U.S flag, and then to the Texas flag. Just this year they added "one state under god" to the pledge, which frankly, pisses me off. So I'm wondering, is this happening to anyone else, or is this only in Texas?