Don't have an account? Create one!

Pledge of Allegiance

AuthorMessage
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
February 4th, 2007 at 11:35pm
Fer Suuure Jenni:
Just because America has alot of languages doesn't mean we have to learn them all. America is also about Freedom of Choice. If someone chooses not to say the peldge in Spanish: he/she doesn't have to. Freedom of Protest.

I completely agree.
I just don't think the practice ought to be stopped.
If you don't want to say it don't, but you shouldn't force other people to stop.
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
February 4th, 2007 at 11:35pm
We don't have to learn them, we just have to stand up for 20 seconds to listen to them. (I don't think anyone should be forced to say the pledge)
Ceiling Gerard
Awake and Unafraid
Ceiling Gerard
February 4th, 2007 at 11:36pm
druscilla_way:
so tired of this:
Resurgam:
Well, if a lot of the people in that area speak that language, and they want to say it in their native language, it's just a nice thing. And it's not like it's a tremendous ordeal. The Pledge only takes around 20-30 seconds to say.

The recent controversy happened in Ohio, a state where the majority of people are not only white, but also English-speaking.

No matter how long it takes to say it, the Pledge is written by Americans, in English, to America.

And times change.
The Pledge of Allegiance was written in 1892.
The world has changed a lot in over 100 years.
More people have moved her from other places.
America needs to learn to adapt.
It doesn't hurt anybody to say the Pledge in another language, just like it doesn't hurt to not say it.

I think immigrants need to adapt to American culture and Language. It doesn't hurt anyone to learn the de facto language of this country.
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
February 4th, 2007 at 11:37pm
Fer Suuure Jenni:
druscilla_way:
so tired of this:
Resurgam:
Well, if a lot of the people in that area speak that language, and they want to say it in their native language, it's just a nice thing. And it's not like it's a tremendous ordeal. The Pledge only takes around 20-30 seconds to say.

The recent controversy happened in Ohio, a state where the majority of people are not only white, but also English-speaking.

No matter how long it takes to say it, the Pledge is written by Americans, in English, to America.

And times change.
The Pledge of Allegiance was written in 1892.
The world has changed a lot in over 100 years.
More people have moved her from other places.
America needs to learn to adapt.
It doesn't hurt anybody to say the Pledge in another language, just like it doesn't hurt to not say it.

I think immigrants need to adapt to American culture and Language. It doesn't hurt anyone to learn the de facto language of this country.

And I'm sure they know it if they're in public school.
But there's nothing wrong with bilingual people speaking in both languages.
Ceiling Gerard
Awake and Unafraid
Ceiling Gerard
February 4th, 2007 at 11:40pm
Actually no: everything in public school is adapted for Spanish speaking students. Special tests are made for them. They have Special classes that really don't do much. Infact, not to brag, if it wasn't for my mother five Spanish speaking students wouldn't have passed the English rejents ( a test taken in junoir year od highschool). When she first started turtoring them, they didn't know an inch of English. There's something wrong with that.

But that's another argument all together. I said my main issue was with English speaking students being forced to say it in another language.
electric love;
Bleeding on the Floor
electric love;
February 4th, 2007 at 11:41pm
Resurgam:
We don't have to learn them, we just have to stand up for 20 seconds to listen to them. (I don't think anyone should be forced to say the pledge)

and i know this goes back to respect, but why should we even be forced to stand for however many seconds long to listen to it in other languages...i think it is unpatriotic to have to listen to it in another language...i mean i understand not standing could be unpatriotic too, but should we have to if we don't think it is right to have the pledge being said in another language in the first place?
Ceiling Gerard
Awake and Unafraid
Ceiling Gerard
February 4th, 2007 at 11:42pm
XxTWiSTEDxDiSASTERxX:
Resurgam:

and i know this goes back to respect, but why should we even be forced to stand for however many seconds long to listen to it in other languages...i think it is unpatriotic to have to listen to it in another language...i mean i understand not standing could be unpatriotic too, but should we have to if we don't think it is right to have the pledge being said in another language in the first place?

You're right. And we also have the Freedom of Protest. Meaning they can sit down during the pledge being said in another language as a mock form or protest.
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
February 4th, 2007 at 11:43pm
How can it possibly be unpatriotic if we don't have an official language? And if you really want to protest it, you could...I don't know, start a petition or something. There are other ways than not standing.

Is there anyone here who thinks people should be forced to say the Pledge?
Ceiling Gerard
Awake and Unafraid
Ceiling Gerard
February 4th, 2007 at 11:44pm
No. People shouldn't be forced to say the Pledge period. It's you're right as an American. Some people are digusted with this country- my boyfriend being one of them- so why force them to Pledge for a country they have no respect for?
Ceiling Gerard
Awake and Unafraid
Ceiling Gerard
February 4th, 2007 at 11:45pm
"The United States does not have an official language; nevertheless, English (specifically, American English) is the language used for legislation, regulations, executive orders, treaties, federal court rulings, and all other official pronouncements. Additionally, one must demonstrate an ability to read, write, and speak English to become a naturalized citizen. Many individual states and territories have also adopted English as their official language:

Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois,[1] Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Utah, Virginia, and Wyoming " ~ Source, Wikipedia.
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
February 4th, 2007 at 11:45pm
^Exactly. No one should have to Pledge Allegiance to the country. We're a democracy (durr). I do think people should stand during the Pledge though.
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
February 4th, 2007 at 11:53pm
XxTWiSTEDxDiSASTERxX:
Resurgam:

I think the Pledge is the Pledge whether in English or not.
It means the same thing.
electric love;
Bleeding on the Floor
electric love;
February 4th, 2007 at 11:54pm
well...that's what you think, im not going to argue it anymore, seeing how we have two total different views on the matter, and thats not going to change, not saying that i was trying to change your view, because i wasn't, i was just simply stating my opinion on the matter, and i really don't have any other statements on the subject, since anything else i would say i would be repeating myself...
Thursday's Child
Bleeding on the Floor
Thursday's Child
February 7th, 2007 at 03:45am
Well, to start off, I don't think anyone should be forced to say the pledge, despite of the language it's being recited in.

But anyways, to everyone who's saying "but english is known as America's language," or "it's what a majority of the people speak,", take this info consideration:
- In 2003, Census Bureau reported that nearly one American in five speaks a language other than English at home.with Spanish leading, and Chinese right behind it.
- On many fact sheets about the U.S., under language, they state "english and spanish"
- By 2050, Spanish and Mandarin are expected to surpass english, with only 5% of the population of the world stil speaking it. currently, it's at about 9%.

Seeing as we're a county with no official language
they can be saying it in pig latin for all I care.
These languages are not only making up the culture of our country
but a large majority at that.
We can't live in a bubble and pretend like english is the only language we need to know
or that it's the only one that should be used.

besides, no matter what language it's in
the message is still the same in the pledge:
"with librerty and justice to all"
you know, regardless of race, religion, ethnicity or language
assiralc talc
Really Not Okay
assiralc talc
February 7th, 2007 at 12:36pm
I thought I'd better do some research before attempting to engage in discussion on this topic, and good old Wiki told me that the Pledge was written in 1892 to commemorate the 400th birthday of the arrival of Columbus to the Americas. So it was written about one of the most important dates in recent American history- the arrival of the first immigrants. Doesn't that say something about the nature of the Pledge? A lot has happened in those hundred years and maybe the Pledge should change to reflect that. I don't think saying it in other languages is a bad idea. It was designed as a way of remembering the foundation of America (as it is after Columbus, seeing as pre-Columbus days don't seem to ever be counted as American History, but that's another topic), its birth being due to immigration. America as it today is full of diverse cultures, and everyday life needs to be able to accomodate that diversity. The Pledge is recited at public events- the public is multiculural. To respect that diversity, it makes sense to recite the Pledge in the dominant languages, those being Spanish, English, etc.
xXDr. KrazyXx
Fabulous Killjoy
xXDr. KrazyXx
February 7th, 2007 at 01:27pm
It's stupid to force people to say the pledge. If it's against their religion, if the just don't want to, they shouldn't have to. And making them say it in a different language is kind of stupid and pointless, but no more wrong than forcing them to say it in their native language.
Silent_Whispers
Salute You in Your Grave
Silent_Whispers
February 7th, 2007 at 01:32pm
I don't see what the big deal is, let the people sing in any language they want, I mean, America let the people from different countries move here, why not let them sing it in there own language...It like saying, you can't speak the language you grew up knowing in our country...in my opinion its stupid, and I think they should let them sing it any language they want.
Ceiling Gerard
Awake and Unafraid
Ceiling Gerard
February 7th, 2007 at 02:13pm
Excentrique:
In recent news, there has been a lot of controversy about the Pledge of Allegiance. There are schools in America where the students are being forced to recite the Pledge of Allegiance in other languages than English, such as Spanish and German.

How do you feel about this?
What would you say if your school made you sing your country's nation anthem in a different language?
Do you think it's right for students to protest and refuse to sing it in any other language than the language of the country they live in?

^ That's the issue- students being forced recite it in a language that is NOT english. So for example: you are English speaking, and they suddenly forced you to say it in Spanish because their are more Spanish children in your class. Would you agree with that?
cLuB K!D
Really Not Okay
cLuB K!D
February 7th, 2007 at 04:33pm
Hmmmmm........... I am very split with this topic only because, although I am very shamed to say it, I am racist. At least I am truthful enough to say it.

The racist side of me says that we should recite it in english because even though there is no "national" language, everyone speaks english or needs to speak english. I don't care about accents, or anything like that. The pledge was written in english and it needs to stay in english.

But the politically correct side of me says that they should be aloud to recite it in their native tongue because that is what America is about. I mean they are still being truthful to America by reciting it. So I say hell, let em' do it.

So my final answer is let em' speak it in their own way. Just don't make the people that speak english or their own native tongue have to speak it in other languages.
cLuB K!D
Really Not Okay
cLuB K!D
February 7th, 2007 at 04:36pm
But I agree with whom ever said it that it is a right as an american citizen that you do NOT have to say the pledge of alegance