Don't have an account? Create one!

Pledge of Allegiance

AuthorMessage
Excentrique
Banned
Excentrique
February 4th, 2007 at 09:04pm
Yes it does offend me. If you move to a country, you should learn the language they speak in that country. That country and its language has been there for way longer than you've been alive.

Let's do it on a smaller scale then. Let's say you get an asian speaking kid in your class, and that asian speaking kid suddenly demands that all the text books should be rewritten to contain asian script and language, and the school cafeteria should change its entire menu and serve asian type food. Would you accept that? In a class of 30 kids, is it fair to change EVERYTHING just because there's one different kid that refuses to do what everyone else is doing?
electric love;
Bleeding on the Floor
electric love;
February 4th, 2007 at 09:07pm
so tired of this:
Yes it does offend me. If you move to a country, you should learn the language they speak in that country. That country and its language has been there for way longer than you've been alive.

Let's do it on a smaller scale then. Let's say you get an asian speaking kid in your class, and that asian speaking kid suddenly demands that all the text books should be rewritten to contain asian script and language, and the school cafeteria should change its entire menu and serve asian type food. Would you accept that? In a class of 30 kids, is it fair to change EVERYTHING just because there's one different kid that refuses to do what everyone else is doing?

i agree completly with you on this
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
February 4th, 2007 at 09:08pm
But that's not the same. Or at least, I don't believe it is. One out of thirty is really the (approximate) ratio of Spanish speakers to English speakers in southern California? Also, most schools would provide materials for the child to adjust to America, ie textbooks with whatever language he/she speaks. And it's not "changing everything", it's just adding some extra lines to street signs so some people don't get run over. How much does it really effect you?
Ceiling Gerard
Awake and Unafraid
Ceiling Gerard
February 4th, 2007 at 09:10pm
I am sorry, but I was born and raised with the English language. I will not say my national athem or my Pledge in any other language but English. And forcing kids to say the Athem and Pledge in Spanish when they are only taught English is wrong. Plain and Simple. The majority speaks English. It is going through the House of Representatives to make the official language English. Don't change it.
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
February 4th, 2007 at 09:11pm
Most schools force children to learn a different language. Is that offensive too?
Ceiling Gerard
Awake and Unafraid
Ceiling Gerard
February 4th, 2007 at 09:14pm
That is different. That is called broading your herizons because in College it is required you take one of five different languages. No one expects you to become fluent in those classes unless you are in College doing you Graduate and you have to read books from other countries. That's called education.
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
February 4th, 2007 at 09:15pm
I learned to say the pledge in Spanish in Spanish class. Isn't it just another form of education, broadening your horizons, etc?
Ceiling Gerard
Awake and Unafraid
Ceiling Gerard
February 4th, 2007 at 09:16pm
Resurgam:
I learned to say the pledge in Spanish in Spanish class. Isn't it just another form of education, broadening your horizons, etc?

You just learned how to say it: you aren't forced to say it in that language in your other classes.
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
February 4th, 2007 at 09:19pm
Actually we were forced to say it. But the teacher was a little crazy.

I don't agree with being forced to say it at all. But I don't think saying it in a different language is such a big deal.
Excentrique
Banned
Excentrique
February 4th, 2007 at 09:24pm
Learning a different language is EXACTLY what' I'm talking about.
In most countries outside America and Britain, it's pretty much required to learn English. because it is the number 2 most spoken language in the entire world.

When you study a different language in school, it's so you can go to a country where they speak that language, and you can be understood, and you can understand what's going on. For example, you take french and then you go to France and speak french. You can't just go to France and demand that everyone knows english just because you're too effing stuck up to learn their language.

So learning a different language in school is one thing. When you go to an American school, English is the primary language. You're taught American culture, history and whatnot. I'm talking about the pledge of allegiance here. Something more American than McDonalds and Walmart. Something that's been part of America since America became America. What right to Mexicans have, demanding the pledge of allegiance to be said in any other language than English?

On fourth of july, when you and your family go out to the park or wherever it is you decide to celebrate the independence day... how would you feel if you suddenly hear people singing the national anthem in German? or Greek? Or any other language than intended when written.
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
February 4th, 2007 at 09:30pm
1. I don't know that any people have ever demanded that Americans learn their language. I was under the impression that most Mexicans lived in pockets of the country where Spanish is the primary language
2. Nor was I aware that it was any particular group demanding that the pledge be said in different languages. I thought it was more of a government-mandate thing to increase diversity in education and whatnot.
3. Actually, the Pledge was written in 1892, not at the beginning of the US
4. I personally wouldn't mind if I heard people singing the national anthem in a different language at all (though i wouldn't know what they were singing Razz ). That's what makes America great. Though we are very diverse, we are all united. The national anthem can be sung in many languages, but it's the same words and about the same country.
Excentrique
Banned
Excentrique
February 4th, 2007 at 09:34pm
Unity and diversity seldom go hand in hand.

Just the fact that there are parts of America where Spanish is the primary language shows how un-united we are. In no other country are the people as divided as America, and it's only getting worse.

I don't mind that there are millions of people from different countries, with different colored skin, different religions or different upbringings. When you decide to live permanently in a country, I think it should be required to be part of that country as a unity, as a whole. If you want to live in Spain, learn Spanish. Speak Spanish. If you want to live in Norway, learn Norwegan. Speak Norwegan.
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
February 4th, 2007 at 09:41pm
But Spain and Norway are completely different from America. We are founded by immigrants. We take your tired, your poor, your huddled masses...it's kind of our thing. There has never been one ideal American because we are diverse. We're all different but we're all the same because we all live in the same grand country. Yes, unity and diversity seldom go hand in hand. That's why it's so cool that America's been able to keep it going for two hundred + years.

I think the real thing is that back in the 1800's with the influx of immigration, most immigrants tried to conform to their idea of America. They went out of their way to learn English and learn the new American culture. They were so grateful to have the opportunities America provided and to be away from the trouble in wherever they came from that they were more than willing to cast their old lives aside. Now, people have more pride in where they came from. They don't want to have to give up part of their identity to conform to other American's standards. So it demands the question: is that a bad thing, to want to keep your culture intact?
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
February 4th, 2007 at 10:04pm
so tired of this:
What's wrong with promoting unity and patriotism?
I don't give a crap about the different nationalities that live in America, that the native americans were here first (that's like saying that the african americans shouldn't be here because they were forced here, and thus came here last).

Maybe English is not the official language, but the fact is that it is spoken by the majority of people. Just because mexicans (or latino americans if you may) decided to emigrate here, doesn't mean we all have to conform to their ways. It's already unacceptable to me that some restaurants have to change their menus, and road signs have to be added on to just because mexicans refuse to learn the language.

Most of southern California (a state belonging to America I must point out) is covered and taken over by mexicans.

I say if you move to a country, you damn well better learn the language and culture.

If you moved to say.... Egypt. Would you refuse to learn arabic? Would you demand that they change things to YOUR language just for your convenience?

They're not changing it.
From what I gather they're not saying you can only every speak English when reciting the pledge.
It might be that if you're in your Spanish or German classes they ask that you say in it Spanish for all we know.
Excentrique
Banned
Excentrique
February 4th, 2007 at 10:16pm
druscilla_way:
It might be that if you're in your Spanish or German classes they ask that you say in it Spanish for all we know.

Nope, they're talking about graduation ceremonies and other school events.

No matter what, the pledge of allegiance is a pledge to the United States of America, not to Mexico, Germany or any other country.
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
February 4th, 2007 at 10:18pm
so tired of this:
druscilla_way:

Nope, they're talking about graduation ceremonies and other school events.

And they're only saying it in other languages?
They're not saying it in multiple languages?
And where are you getting your information, if you don't mind my asking.
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
February 4th, 2007 at 10:19pm
Does anyone know the degree to which it's being enforced? Would a person get in trouble if they didn't say the pledge? I mean, a person could just stand there and wait for it to be over.
Excentrique
Banned
Excentrique
February 4th, 2007 at 10:20pm
http://www.kbcitv.com/news/5282901.html

http://www.newwest.net/index.php/city/article/nampa_girl_silent_for_pledge_of/C108/L108/

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/news/local/16593576.htm

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=central&id=5002945

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A50421-2005Mar19.html

http://www.idahopress.com/articles/2007/01/28/news/news7.txt

Fifth Grader Chandra Carlson has a problem with reciting the Pledge of Allegiance.
Since last October, she's been having to say it in English, Spanish and German.
On Friday, she protested.

"We said the Pledge of Allegiance in English and then he started saying it in Spanish so I sat down," Chandra told CBS 2 News.

Chandra says her principal at Nampa's Centennial Elementary leads the students.

"And then when it was over, I stood back up and then she saw me and she was like you are to stand and say the Pledge of Allegiance in no matter what language," Chandra said.
Bleeding Stares
Really Not Okay
Bleeding Stares
February 4th, 2007 at 10:22pm
Resurgam:

That's actually what my first post was about, I wouldn't have a problem saying the Pledge (besides by force) in the respective language class. But to force the school to do it is ridiculous.
xMari_Malicex
Motor Baby
xMari_Malicex
February 4th, 2007 at 10:27pm
O_o Nobody can make you say the pledge.
I sit when they do it because it's just not a main part of my day.