Don't have an account? Create one!

Pledge of Allegiance

AuthorMessage
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
February 4th, 2007 at 10:28pm
so tired of this:
"We said the Pledge of Allegiance in English and then he started saying it in Spanish so I sat down," Chandra told CBS 2 News.

Well, that's a different story. Sitting down during the Pledge is just disrespectful. You should always stand during the Pledge / Anthem, no matter what country your from. When I go to Irish Football games, I stand during the Irish Anthem even though I'm not a citizen. The Russian-born kids in my class stand during the Pledge even though most of them don't say it. It's like taking your hat off in a church / government building. It's about respect. Not saying it is one thing; sitting down is another all together.
electric love;
Bleeding on the Floor
electric love;
February 4th, 2007 at 10:36pm
^i don't think its disrespectful at all....she has a right to sit down if she doesn't want to say it in spanish...i would have done the same thing.
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
February 4th, 2007 at 10:39pm
I think that if they're also saying it in English then there's no problem.
All the uneducated people who think English is our official national language get what they want.
And we have diveristy in America.
Why not demonstrate it?
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
February 4th, 2007 at 10:41pm
But it is disrespectful. It may be disrespectful in an archaic and seemingly pointless way, but it is. Yes, of course she has the right to sit down. But she shouldn't.

Standing during national anthems / pledges is an old tradition. It's not a very hard one to follow, and it means a lot to a lot of people (ie war veterans). I don't really know how to explain what I mean, but there are certain rules you follow. It's arrogant of our generation to think it's okay to sit during the pledge. It's a sign of respect.
BeastxInxRepose
S/C/A/R/E/C/R/O/W
BeastxInxRepose
February 4th, 2007 at 11:01pm
Resurgam:
Does anyone know the degree to which it's being enforced? Would a person get in trouble if they didn't say the pledge? I mean, a person could just stand there and wait for it to be over.

That's what my high school did. They were very lenient and respectful of each student's individual feelings towards The Pledge. You didn't have to put your hand over your heart or even say it, but you had to at least stand up.
electric love;
Bleeding on the Floor
electric love;
February 4th, 2007 at 11:03pm
well yes i know it is a tradition to stand during the pledge...and i do....as long as its in english...hmm...im trying to think of how to explain what im thinking....

oh i got it.

if its not a big deal for us to learn to say the pledge in different languages, then why is it such a big deal for them to learn it in our language??
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
February 4th, 2007 at 11:04pm
It's not. And I believe most people do. But that doesn't mean we can't stand for 20 seconds or so and listen to it in another language.
electric love;
Bleeding on the Floor
electric love;
February 4th, 2007 at 11:16pm
but why do we have to say it in spanish??? i just dont see why we should be FORCED to say it in other languages, when english is our main (i did not say official) language, that most of us have used for a very very long time, when instead we have to learn a different language?? i just see no point.
electric love;
Bleeding on the Floor
electric love;
February 4th, 2007 at 11:16pm
BeastxInxRepose:
Resurgam:
Does anyone know the degree to which it's being enforced? Would a person get in trouble if they didn't say the pledge? I mean, a person could just stand there and wait for it to be over.

That's what my high school did. They were very lenient and respectful of each student's individual feelings towards The Pledge. You didn't have to put your hand over your heart or even say it, but you had to at least stand up.

is this in english or other languages?
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
February 4th, 2007 at 11:18pm
XxTWiSTEDxDiSASTERxX:
but why do we have to say it in spanish??? i just dont see why we should be FORCED to say it in other languages, when english is our main (i did not say official) language, that most of us have used for a very very long time, when instead we have to learn a different language?? i just see no point.

Well, I don't think we should be forced to say it either. But I don't think it's such a huge sacrifice to listen to it be said in the language of a majority of a population.
electric love;
Bleeding on the Floor
electric love;
February 4th, 2007 at 11:20pm
but why should we have to listen to it in other languages?
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
February 4th, 2007 at 11:23pm
Well, if a lot of the people in that area speak that language, and they want to say it in their native language, it's just a nice thing. And it's not like it's a tremendous ordeal. The Pledge only takes around 20-30 seconds to say.
Excentrique
Banned
Excentrique
February 4th, 2007 at 11:26pm
Resurgam:
Well, I don't think we should be forced to say it either. But I don't think it's such a huge sacrifice to listen to it be said in the language of a majority of a population.

Mexicans are not a majority. They're a minority.

I'll say it again. The Pledge of Allegiance is a pledge to the United States of America.

When in Mexico, I'll stand if they're doing the Mexican national anthem in spanish. I will NEVER expect them to sing THEIR national anthem in MY language.

Saying the pledge of allegiance, or singing the american national anthem, in ANY other language than english is unpatriotic.
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
February 4th, 2007 at 11:26pm
XxTWiSTEDxDiSASTERxX:

Because there are other languages.
And America is supposed to be diverse.
There are lots of languages.
Excentrique
Banned
Excentrique
February 4th, 2007 at 11:27pm
Resurgam:
Well, if a lot of the people in that area speak that language, and they want to say it in their native language, it's just a nice thing. And it's not like it's a tremendous ordeal. The Pledge only takes around 20-30 seconds to say.

The recent controversy happened in Ohio, a state where the majority of people are not only white, but also English-speaking.

No matter how long it takes to say it, the Pledge is written by Americans, in English, to America.
BeastxInxRepose
S/C/A/R/E/C/R/O/W
BeastxInxRepose
February 4th, 2007 at 11:28pm
XxTWiSTEDxDiSASTERxX:
is this in english or other languages?

It was in English. Now I don't know about the other foreign languages that my high school offered, or the other teachers, but none of my Spanish teachers taught us to say The Pledge, even just as speaking practice. Then again, my school probably doesn't want anymore unnecessary attention after the Abington School District v. Schempp Supreme Court case episode. Yes, I graduated from Abington.
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
February 4th, 2007 at 11:33pm
But in some areas, people who speak different languages are in the majority. Like where I live, the majority of people speak Russian. That doesn't mean the majority of the whole state of New Jersey speaks Russian; just Radburn. Also, it could be a [i]significant[i] population that speaks a language. Though (say) 1/3 might not be the majority, that doesn't mean it should be ignored.

Once again, America is different from other countries because it is made up of immigrants. And it is certainly not unpatriotic to say it in a different language. English is not the official language of America
electric love;
Bleeding on the Floor
electric love;
druscilla_way:
XxTWiSTEDxDiSASTERxX:

Because there are other languages.
And America is supposed to be diverse.
There are lots of languages.

but like so tired of this said...the pledge was made by americans, for americans, for america. if it was written in spanish or another language then it would be for their nationality.

yes there are other languages, but the majority of the people in the united states speak english as their first language, and many of those who don't still know some english.

i understand america is diverse. but it's just the principal of the matter.
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
so tired of this:
Resurgam:

The recent controversy happened in Ohio, a state where the majority of people are not only white, but also English-speaking.

No matter how long it takes to say it, the Pledge is written by Americans, in English, to America.

And times change.
The Pledge of Allegiance was written in 1892.
The world has changed a lot in over 100 years.
More people have moved her from other places.
America needs to learn to adapt.
It doesn't hurt anybody to say the Pledge in another language, just like it doesn't hurt to not say it.
Ceiling Gerard
Awake and Unafraid
Ceiling Gerard
February 4th, 2007 at 11:34pm
Just because America has alot of languages doesn't mean we have to learn them all. America is also about Freedom of Choice. If someone chooses not to say the peldge in Spanish: he/she doesn't have to. Freedom of Protest.