Don't have an account? Create one!

Pledge of Allegiance

AuthorMessage
Excentrique
Banned
Excentrique
February 4th, 2007 at 06:36pm
In recent news, there has been a lot of controversy about the Pledge of Allegiance. There are schools in America where the students are being forced to recite the Pledge of Allegiance in other languages than English, such as Spanish and German.

How do you feel about this?
What would you say if your school made you sing your country's nation anthem in a different language?
Do you think it's right for students to protest and refuse to sing it in any other language than the language of the country they live in?
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
February 4th, 2007 at 06:53pm
America has no national language, erego I see no problem with it.
I don't think anyone should be forced to say the pledge in any language, however.
electric love;
Bleeding on the Floor
electric love;
February 4th, 2007 at 06:54pm
i believe that in america, the only language we should be reciting the pledge of allegiance in is english. i do not feel it is right to be reciting it in any other language. I believe students have a right to refuse to say the pledge of allegiance/ sing the national anthem in another language, seeing how i would refuse.

i don't know how to elaborate more on why i feel this way, other than saying it is wrong...hmmm...oh i know...the pledge and national anthem was made for americans who speak english, and now the government is forcing us to say it in different languages just because we have immigrants coming here and they don't know how to speak english. if the immigrants want to come here, they need to learn our language and speak it. im sorry if you think im wrong or what not, but this is how i feel
Bleeding Stares
Really Not Okay
Bleeding Stares
February 4th, 2007 at 07:00pm
I would understand if it was in the respective class, i.e. you could say the Pledge in German in German class, but if it's schoolwide like that, then it seems wrong to me. I understand that America is a cultural mixture, but the country was founded in English and our primary language is English, so saying the Pledge of America in another language doesn't make much sense to me,
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
February 4th, 2007 at 07:01pm
Americans themselves, except for Native Americans, are immigrants.

We came here from England, Germany, etc.

And Native Americans did not speak English.

We raped this country and we have no right to say that immigrants are coming in and changing the country when the people who "Americanized" this country are immigrants.
Mr.Armstrong
Awake and Unafraid
Mr.Armstrong
February 4th, 2007 at 07:03pm
druscilla_way:

We raped this country and we have no right to say that immigrants are coming in and changing the country when the people who "Americanized" this country are immigrants.

yeah!totally just cause you live in america but your parents didnt dosent really mean your american cause.America is the country of immigrants and nothing else!!but its alright to say that your american!
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
February 4th, 2007 at 07:04pm
RoCkErChIcK101:
druscilla_way:

yeah!totally just cause you live in america but your parents didnt dosent really mean your american cause.America is the country of immigrants and nothing else!!but its alright to say that your american!

It's 100% fine to say you're an American.
But it's not 100% fine to think you're better than people in America from other countries.
Bleeding Stares
Really Not Okay
Bleeding Stares
February 4th, 2007 at 07:06pm
This is true, but methods aside, America is still recognized as a country that speaks English. And, druscilla, it's true that we came from many European countries, the English mostly made up the later United States, Spain had Mexico and South America, and French had Canada. Most Germans, Irish, etc. came here after the Revolution when America was becoming a success.
Mr.Armstrong
Awake and Unafraid
Mr.Armstrong
February 4th, 2007 at 07:06pm
yeah then your just being concited!sorta!!cause your way over your head then!!
electric love;
Bleeding on the Floor
electric love;
February 4th, 2007 at 07:07pm
druscilla_way:

hmm....yes you do have a point...but im not saying the immigrants are changing the country...now im starting to confuse myself....but like i said those are my beliefs soo....think what you want, i'm sorry i don't feel the same way as you do about the subject
Ceiling Gerard
Awake and Unafraid
Ceiling Gerard
February 4th, 2007 at 08:01pm
"Although the United States currently has no official language, English has long been the de facto national language. English is spoken by about 82% of the population as a native language and nearly everyone in the United States uses it as a daily language. On May 18, 2006 the Senate voted on an amendment to an immigration reform bill that would declare English the national language of the United States.[1] The immigration reform bill itself, S. 2611, was passed in the Senate on May 25, 2006, and now has to go back to the House of Representatives in conference to make sure amendments are agreed upon." - Source, Wikipedia.

So despte that we don't have an offical language, it is undertsood that our language is English. I would be very offended if someone forced me to say My national athem in a completely different language. It was written in English, it should be said in english. I don't think if you went to Spain they would like you saying their national athem in English instead of Spanish. Even my mother, who is an immigrant from Colombia- first language is Spanish- even said that forcing kids to say their pledge of allaigence and national athem in any other language than English is wrong. And as my mother says: "If you want to live in America, I don't see why you can't learn the language. I speak English and Spanish fine, my friends speak Spanish and English fine. Why can't they? Just because they learn English doesn't take away from their Spanish culture."
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
February 4th, 2007 at 08:08pm
I agree with druscilla on this. I don't think anyone should be forced to say the pledge of allegiance.

The point is, though, that America has no official spoken language. English is only our language in official documents, and it won over German by one vote and Gaelic by a few more. We were originally thirteen British colonies, but people have always been immigrating from different countries (plus, New York and New Jersey were originally Dutch). Without the immigrants that came to this country, we would not be the arguably great country we are today.

For legal purposes, I do think immigrants should learn at least some English, though I think under no circumstances should they be forced to. There are different pockets all over the United States speaking different languages. Like where I live, a lot of people speak either Russian or Hebrew. If they want to say the Pledge in those languages, I have no problem with it. The fact that they would want to pledge their allegiance to the United States at all is great.

But, once again, no one should be forced to say the Pledge of Allegiance. Though, to be honest, I don't see why someone would be more upset over being forced to say the Pledge in Spanish than they would to be forced to say the Pledge at all.
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
February 4th, 2007 at 08:12pm
Just because someone says the Pledge of Allegiance in Spanish doesn't make it any less of a Pledge.
You are who you are and the language you speak is what you speak, but the words are the same.
Ceiling Gerard
Awake and Unafraid
Ceiling Gerard
February 4th, 2007 at 08:18pm
Yeah but I don't agree with forcing English speaking children to say their pledge in a completely different language.
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
February 4th, 2007 at 08:26pm
^Is it that you don't agree with the forcing-them-to-say-the-pledge bit, or the different-language thing?
Bleeding Stares
Really Not Okay
Bleeding Stares
February 4th, 2007 at 08:32pm
Resurgam:
I agree with druscilla on this. I don't think anyone should be forced to say the pledge of allegiance.

The point is, though, that America has no official spoken language. English is only our language in official documents, and it won over German by one vote and Gaelic by a few more. We were originally thirteen British colonies, but people have always been immigrating from different countries (plus, New York and New Jersey were originally Dutch). Without the immigrants that came to this country, we would not be the arguably great country we are today.

For legal purposes, I do think immigrants should learn at least some English, though I think under no circumstances should they be forced to. There are different pockets all over the United States speaking different languages. Like where I live, a lot of people speak either Russian or Hebrew. If they want to say the Pledge in those languages, I have no problem with it. The fact that they would want to pledge their allegiance to the United States at all is great.

But, once again, no one should be forced to say the Pledge of Allegiance. Though, to be honest, I don't see why someone would be more upset over being forced to say the Pledge in Spanish than they would to be forced to say the Pledge at all.

According to Fer Suuure Jenni, English is now our official language =P

On a different note, I've always been taught that you had to say the Pledge of Allegiance, but for the past couple of years I've been a little skeptical (and guilty about being so) about being forced to say the Pledge of Allegiance at my school. It vaguely reminds me of a dictatorship. I know that this isn't like America, I love my country, but to pledge devotion to your country as a norm is beginning to seem odd.
Ceiling Gerard
Awake and Unafraid
Ceiling Gerard
February 4th, 2007 at 08:33pm
Like I said just now: I don't agree with forcing English speaking students to say the Pledge of Allegiance in a different language.
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
February 4th, 2007 at 08:38pm
Truce Legend:
According to Fer Suuure Jenni, English is now our official language =P

De facto official language. As in, not really official at all.

Fer Suuure Jenni:
Like I said just now: I don't agree with forcing English speaking students to say the Pledge of Allegiance in a different language.

err, okay. I don't agree with forcing people to say it at all (as Truce Legend said, it is sort of reminiscent of a dictatorship. I think the originally started having children say it in school during WWII, to promote unity and patriotism...but I digress) , but I don't see why saying it in a different language is such a big deal. Just because it's in, say, Spanish, doesn't mean your pledging allegiance to anywhere other than the US. Most schools already demand a language requirement of students, anyway.
Excentrique
Banned
Excentrique
February 4th, 2007 at 08:57pm
What's wrong with promoting unity and patriotism?
I don't give a crap about the different nationalities that live in America, that the native americans were here first (that's like saying that the african americans shouldn't be here because they were forced here, and thus came here last).

Maybe English is not the official language, but the fact is that it is spoken by the majority of people. Just because mexicans (or latino americans if you may) decided to emigrate here, doesn't mean we all have to conform to their ways. It's already unacceptable to me that some restaurants have to change their menus, and road signs have to be added on to just because mexicans refuse to learn the language.

Most of southern California (a state belonging to America I must point out) is covered and taken over by mexicans.

I say if you move to a country, you damn well better learn the language and culture.

If you moved to say.... Egypt. Would you refuse to learn arabic? Would you demand that they change things to YOUR language just for your convenience?
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
February 4th, 2007 at 09:00pm
^Well, first of all, southern California stretching to Texas originally was Mexico. We took it from them. And if a significant population moves to a country (that doesn't even have an official spoken language) why shouldn't that country (or part of a country) conform in some small ways to fit that population's needs? Is it really offending you so much to see a few extra lines on a road sign in Spanish?

Oh, and like it or not, you are descendant from immigrants who did take this land away from Native Americans. What, just because your ancestors came here on a rickety boat two hundred years ago makes you and your culture superior to someone who got here yesterday?