Don't have an account? Create one!

Pledge of Allegiance

AuthorMessage
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
March 6th, 2007 at 11:18pm
It was the 1950's, during the red scare. You know, to ward off those godless communists.
jedicam10
Fabulous Killjoy
jedicam10
March 6th, 2007 at 11:48pm
Oh, i was close. Back then was almost like now. If your not with America, your with the terrorists.
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
March 7th, 2007 at 03:43pm
"Once the communist now the terrorist

With blood as thick as yours"

you're quite right, it's very similar. i once talked to a kid who said that if you don't say the pledge, you should be shot for treason. not kidding.
Casimir Pulaski Day
Shotgun Sinner
Casimir Pulaski Day
March 7th, 2007 at 06:05pm
Anybody who says you are commiting treason or a terrorist by not saying the pledge is not right. If I didn't say the pledge, does that make me a terrorist? Who I am really hurting? Nobody. I find them to be meaningless words.

Also, just an thought I had, America commited treason to be free from England, so the pledge is kinda like treason in itself. . . Does that make sense? Not that I see it that way, but it's just a silly thought I thought I'd share. Razz
jedicam10
Fabulous Killjoy
jedicam10
March 7th, 2007 at 08:34pm
It does huh... lol. This country is a country of traitors!! lol

But on a serious note, americans can get their heads too high in the clouds until we think we own the earth.
Insanexthexdayxb4
Killjoy
Insanexthexdayxb4
March 20th, 2007 at 07:49pm
I think that you should sing it in the language you speak.
Teaching kids to sing it in a different language really isnt being anymore patriotic or whatever they are supposed to be being when they sing it in the first place.
geradsredskittle666
Really Not Okay
geradsredskittle666
March 20th, 2007 at 11:53pm
no one should be forced to say the pledge of alliegience. What if they don't believe in the values imposed in it? They shouldn't be forced to say it in any languge. Not english, not german.
geradsredskittle666
Really Not Okay
geradsredskittle666
March 21st, 2007 at 12:03am
jedicam10:
I stoped doing it in 4th grade.

But as an athiest, they should take out the "Under God" part. That's my only complaint.

I agree. not everyone believes in the same god or a god at all.
dont stop.
Salute You in Your Grave
dont stop.
March 24th, 2007 at 11:12pm
I don't like the fact that they make you do the pledge of allegiance at all.

I'm not a terrorist. I'm just saying that it's wrong that america has so much god damned pride in itself...

America is trying to take away Iran's rights to have nuclear weapons, yet...america can have them.

THAT'S NOT FAIR.

And sending MORE troops to Iraq isn't needed.

So I don't think we should do the pledge for a country that is trying to TAKE OVER THE WORLD.

I also don't agree with the "Under God" part...because I'm Atheist...you don't expect EVERYONE IN THE WHOLE WORLD TO BELIEVE IN GOD.
dont stop.
Salute You in Your Grave
dont stop.
March 24th, 2007 at 11:17pm
MistressRhi:
I don't think it's right, i think that if you live in a predominately English speaking country then you should speak and sing in English and if you have another language speak/sing it at home. If you were in Germany/Spain/France etc they would not do it for you.

Acutally they would...see, english is a very popular language...

people do it so they can achieve the 'american dream'.

But really I don't believe that. America is a land or racism because of the anti illegal immigrant thing and the KKK. And America has many problems with trying to take control over all countries.
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
March 24th, 2007 at 11:50pm
Brutal Romance:
America is trying to take away Iran's rights to have nuclear weapons, yet...america can have them.

THAT'S NOT FAIR.

Just to point out, according to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, the US, UK, France, China, and Russia are supposed to be the only countries with nuclear weapons. All other countries are agree not to receive, manufacture, or in any other way seek to acquire nuclear weapons. Iran signed the treaty, so yes, Iran has no right to have nuclear weapons, yet America can. Iran is allowed to develop nuclear energy, which is what they say they're doing, but not weapons. It might not be fair, but it's what everyone agreed to.
YourStarlessEyes
Killjoy
YourStarlessEyes
March 25th, 2007 at 08:38pm
The poor kids don't get any say in this, and the angry and annoying parents probably won't help. I think that since people make such a big deal in the national anthem that America is a free country, the kids should have rights to decide whether or not they would like to do this. This is just my opinion, mail me for yours?
x__SaltyEyes
Jazz Hands
x__SaltyEyes
March 31st, 2007 at 12:46am
The Pledge of Allegiance is shit. "one nation under god"

fuck that. i dont believe in god. so what about that?!? bitches.

Everday the whole school is told to stand and recite the pledge. i stand in honor of my country. but i REFUSE to recite those words. thats all. i will not say them. i will not put my hand over my heart either. i only stand for the pride of the country. which is very hypocritical. i wouldnt even stand if my teacher didnt force us. so yeh. its shit.
Casimir Pulaski Day
Shotgun Sinner
Casimir Pulaski Day
July 12th, 2007 at 09:45am
"Under god."
God does not run the country. They should take that phrase right out. Separation from church and state, my ass; you have a "religious" phrase right in your pledge! Especially when I recite it in my public school.
I am not religious, nor am I an atheist, but I don't like it in there.
dont stop.
Salute You in Your Grave
dont stop.
July 12th, 2007 at 03:25pm
Fake Plastic Trees:
"Under god."
God does not run the country. They should take that phrase right out. Separation from church and state, my ass; you have a "religious" phrase right in your pledge! Especially when I recite it in my public school.
I am not religious, nor am I an atheist, but I don't like it in there.
No one's going to be able to change that, though.
And anyway, the original pledge of allegiance didn't have 'under god' they added it later because they thought it fit.

Really, I hate the fact that they force us to do it. There was a girl who didn't want to say the pledge, she said she didn't understand why we did it and they sent her home. I think they even kicked her out of school because I never saw her again.
It's a pledge. It's supposed to be said once.
dont stop.
Salute You in Your Grave
dont stop.
July 12th, 2007 at 03:29pm
Fezzik:

Just to point out, according to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, the US, UK, France, China, and Russia are supposed to be the only countries with nuclear weapons. All other countries are agree not to receive, manufacture, or in any other way seek to acquire nuclear weapons. Iran signed the treaty, so yes, Iran has no right to have nuclear weapons, yet America can. Iran is allowed to develop nuclear energy, which is what they say they're doing, but not weapons. It might not be fair, but it's what everyone agreed to.
I think, most likely, if Iran hadn't signed that the United States would've started war with them. I mean, it's all about power.
dont stop.
Salute You in Your Grave
dont stop.
July 12th, 2007 at 03:31pm
xmusicxchiccxx:
The Pledge of Allegiance is shit. "one nation under god"

fuck that. i dont believe in god. so what about that?!? bitches.

Everday the whole school is told to stand and recite the pledge. i stand in honor of my country. but i REFUSE to recite those words. thats all. i will not say them. i will not put my hand over my heart either. i only stand for the pride of the country. which is very hypocritical. i wouldnt even stand if my teacher didnt force us. so yeh. its shit.
If you really don't believe in god, like me, you wouldn't have a problem with saying his name once in a while.
I say it, and I don't mind. If I don't believe in him, I shouldn't mind if someone else does.
Just so long as they don't shove their religious beliefs in my face.
writerGrrl
Salute You in Your Grave
writerGrrl
July 12th, 2007 at 09:19pm
I never say the pledge at school; I don't think it's right to pledge to an inantimate object. What really scares me though is how the last time anybody really says it with meaning is in the 1st grade because after that, you know it so well that you can say it without thinking like a little robot.

Besides, there are so many people from other countries at my school that almost nobody says it.
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
July 12th, 2007 at 11:43pm
All of you talking about being "forced" to say it...if it really is getting to be a problem and you truly believe that you should not be saying it, then fight it. The Supreme Court has deemed it unconstitutional to force someone to say the pledge, if you want to put the time and effort into fighting it, you can and you will almost definitely win.

Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
July 13th, 2007 at 12:19am
writerGrrl:
I never say the pledge at school; I don't think it's right to pledge to an inantimate object.

Far better to pledge to an inanimate object than to a person or a specific government.
Besides the Pledge goes, "I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands", meaning you're pledging to the flag as well as what it stands for - the United States of America.

I really have no problem saying the Pledge, because I believe everything in it (though I do think the "under God" bit should be taken out, even though I do believe in God). It's pledging support to a united republic with liberty and justice for all - I don't see anything wrong with that.