Don't have an account? Create one!

Age Difference.

AuthorMessage
Your Ghost.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Your Ghost.
May 16th, 2009 at 08:47pm
I've come to find, that no matter what people think, its truly not up to us. Us meaning the outsiders from someones personal relationship. If the 14 year old is in love with the 18 year old, so be it. We have no control over them, they have to work out their own relationship. If its by their will to be with the other person, that is completely their decision. I'm not saying that a 15 year old wanting to be with a 29 year old is normal or excpected of such people, but theres no reason for me to butt in to that. If the 15 year old is being in the relationship by their own will then the law shouldnt be involved and if the 29 year old isn't a pedophile then the law, once again, shouldnt be involved. Age is simply a number telling us how many years we've been alive, not whom we are allowed to be in a relationship with.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
May 16th, 2009 at 09:45pm
"Age is simply a number telling us how many years we've been alive, not whom we are allowed to be in a relationship with."

It is, but during that time, you grow and you mature. A fifteen year old would most likely be a very different person once another 14 years have passed. But you're right. It's none of anyone else's business (except for perhaps, the parents of anyone under 18 ) who may be dating who and what age they are unless it is a sexual relationship, where one person is under and one person is over the age of consent. Then, in the eyes of the law, many times it is illegal.
Your Ghost.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Your Ghost.
May 16th, 2009 at 09:53pm
I understand completely what your saying and I'm glad that you get my point as well. What you said is what I was trying to express.
K.K.
Bleeding on the Floor
K.K.
May 22nd, 2009 at 10:33am
Well I don't know everything about them, but no sex and not too much touching, I guess.

Edit:I think if he waits for her those two years, and if they survive them, they kinda have a chance.
xxizzyrossxx
Killjoy
xxizzyrossxx
May 31st, 2009 at 05:49am
i truely think that if ur under 13 than you should date pepole ur age or one year older or younger!but if ur 13 and older you should only date pepole 3 years older or younger!if ur 16 and older age shouldnt matter as long as ur in love and happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LunacyFringe
Killjoy
LunacyFringe
May 31st, 2009 at 09:11pm
Bandit Way.:
I've come to find, that no matter what people think, its truly not up to us. Us meaning the outsiders from someones personal relationship. If the 14 year old is in love with the 18 year old, so be it. We have no control over them, they have to work out their own relationship. If its by their will to be with the other person, that is completely their decision. I'm not saying that a 15 year old wanting to be with a 29 year old is normal or excpected of such people, but theres no reason for me to butt in to that. If the 15 year old is being in the relationship by their own will then the law shouldnt be involved and if the 29 year old isn't a pedophile then the law, once again, shouldnt be involved. Age is simply a number telling us how many years we've been alive, not whom we are allowed to be in a relationship with.

But the fact of the matter is that if a 29 year old is interested in someone who is 14, then they are a pedophile. By law anyone under 18 is a child. So that means that an adult is romantically interested in a child. The law DOES have the right to intervene to protect children (child labor laws, no smoking under 18, etc.). And because by law adults cannot have sex with minors, and because we cannot wed until we are 18 (without parental consent), then there really is no point in an adult being in a relationship with a minor. They cant have sex, and no matter how in love they are they cannot get married. So why not just wait until the minor matures a little more and turns 18?

There is also no doubt that both girls and boys under 18 could very easily be manipulated by someone who is an adult. The law is there to try and protect children from potentially dangerous and emotionally harmful situations.

When it comes to the protection of children, the law does have the right, and should have the right, to intervene.
Ghostgirl191
Jazz Hands
Ghostgirl191
June 3rd, 2009 at 11:26am
well at the current time im interested in a 23 year old and im 17. chances are its not gonna happen lol. because i want to live (my mom would kill me, even though she's already met him.)
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
June 3rd, 2009 at 05:19pm
I personally think 23 and 17 are perfectly reasonable tbh.

After you turn 16 ( the legal consent age in the UK, I dont know about anywere else) I think you can date anyone you want, Major extremes I find abit odd but we cant stop them, its perfectly legal after you hit 16.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
June 3rd, 2009 at 05:57pm
I think it's fine up to a point. A 16 year old dating a 20 year old, ok. A 15 year old dating a 30 year old, not ok. If it's more than three or four years, then the couple should at least wait until the younger one is legal.
xxtoryxx
Killjoy
xxtoryxx
June 3rd, 2009 at 07:01pm
my beother is 18 and he is dating a 15 year old they are realy cute together. I think that there should be limits but love is love and no one can help who they love.
Fear and Regret
Crash Queen
Fear and Regret
June 4th, 2009 at 09:05pm
questionable content:
"Age is simply a number telling us how many years we've been alive, not whom we are allowed to be in a relationship with."
I completely agree with this because I think age is literally holding true romances and love back that people need.
The Lunacy Phringe
Bleeding on the Floor
The Lunacy Phringe
June 5th, 2009 at 03:39pm
Seriously, age means nothing. You can fall in love with anyone of any age. If people were restricted to only dating someone in a 2 year age range, the world would be a very messed up place. As long as there's mutual respect from both people in the relationship, it can work.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
June 5th, 2009 at 04:22pm
Black and Blue:
Seriously, age means nothing.
That is not an accurate statement when referring to, say, a 12 year old with a 35 year old.
Search and Destroy
Search and Destroy
June 8th, 2009 at 02:33pm
John St. John:
I personally think 23 and 17 are perfectly reasonable tbh.

After you turn 16 ( the legal consent age in the UK, I dont know about anywere else) I think you can date anyone you want, Major extremes I find abit odd but we cant stop them, its perfectly legal after you hit 16.
Just to clarify, the age of consent in Northern Ireland (which is part of the UK) is 17, not 16 is the age of consent for the rest of the UK. I have no idea why & to be fair if I lived in another part of the UK chances are that I wouldn't know NI has a different age of consent.

There is fair age gap between my parents but that has never bothered me, but I wouldn't want such a sizable age gap between me and any future boyfriend.

I do think its fine for a 17 year old girl to be with a 23 year old fella as no laws are being broken and it isn't too big an age gap.

I disagree with the comments about age meaning nothing.
If a 13 year old girl has the same maturity level as a 17 year old does that mean she & her 19 year old boyfriend should ignore the face that she is under the age of consent just because she understands what it means?
The law does not distinguish between age and maturity levels as far as I am aware.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
June 8th, 2009 at 02:58pm
Search and Destroy:

If a 13 year old girl has the same maturity level as a 17 year old does that mean she & her 19 year old boyfriend should ignore the face that she is under the age of consent just because she understands what it means?
The law does not distinguish between age and maturity levels as far as I am aware.

Plus the laws are there for a reason. There are a lot of people out there who will take advantage of young boys and girls.

I have to admit though, when I see a couple that has a huge age difference, even if they are both adults, I'm a little bit weirded out. When I see a 30 yr old woman with some 75 yr old man I assume that she is a gold digger or something of that sort. It's an unfair assumption, but one that I still make.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
June 8th, 2009 at 05:08pm
Just to clarify, the age of consent in Northern Ireland (which is part of the UK) is 17, not 16 is the age of consent for the rest of the UK. I have no idea why & to be fair if I lived in another part of the UK chances are that I wouldn't know NI has a different age of consent.

Oh I see, I feel a little stupid for not knowing that even though I like in the UK =/ Thanks for clearing that up

My parents also have a big age gap (a 16 year age gap I think..) however I dont see the problem as both of them were over the age of consent therefor the relationship is perfectly okay.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
June 9th, 2009 at 09:49am
Search and Destroy:
But how can that possibly be? How can a 13 year old possibly have the maturity level of a 17 year old?

Faraday:
When I see a 30 yr old woman with some 75 yr old man I assume that she is a gold digger or something of that sort. It's an unfair assumption, but one that I still make.
I don't think it's an unfair assumption; it's usually an accurate one.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
June 9th, 2009 at 10:04am
I don't think it's an unfair assumption; it's usually an accurate one.

Yet you can't tar everyone with the same brush
K.K.
Bleeding on the Floor
K.K.
June 9th, 2009 at 02:44pm
Deb:
Black and Blue:
Seriously, age means nothing.
That is not an accurate statement when referring to, say, a 12 year old with a 35 year old.

I agree.
Just because a 12 year-old is able to fall for a 35 year-old doesn't mean she/he's mature enough to be in a relationship with him/her.
In my opinion, age does matter. But when people are in love they can live with it- if not ignore it.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
June 9th, 2009 at 03:20pm
tear:

I agree.
Just because a 12 year-old is able to fall for a 35 year-old doesn't mean she/he's mature enough to be in a relationship with him/her.
In my opinion, age does matter. But when people are in love they can live with it- if not ignore it.

Forget maturity, it would be illegal, not to mention pedophilic on the part of the 35 year old. An older person having a relationship with a child is wrong period, for the very fact that there is a child involved.