Don't have an account? Create one!

Age Difference.

AuthorMessage
Jinx eh?
Salute You in Your Grave
Jinx eh?
September 27th, 2007 at 06:10am
Beeblebrox:
I think if you are of legal age, you should be allowed to date anyone you wish. Because let's face it, if Alan Rickman showed up on my doorstep tonight, there would be no stopping me. To hell with the age gap.

Yep, I'm with you on that one. I think that if you're over eighteen, and you're with someone who is also eighteen...whatever; it's legal, so if other people don't like it, there's nothing they can do about it anyway.

I also think that if you're under eighteen, and you like someone who is over eighteen...then that person should wait until they're eighteen before acting upon it. If they don't feel the same about the other person when that time has passed, then what does that tell you about how far the relationship would have lasted, anyway? Of course, there's the whole "Well, it would have been different if they could have actually been together!" thing, but hey, relationships should be able to last without sex being the major supporting factor, anyway. *ducks flying objects*
Eclipse
Killjoy
Eclipse
September 27th, 2007 at 07:29am
I used to work with this girl who was 20, and her fiance was in his 50's. NO JOKE...It was disturbing!!!
UndyingSoul.
Really Not Okay
UndyingSoul.
September 27th, 2007 at 05:35pm
demonic angel___x:
i think that dating someone that is quite a bit older than you is perfectly fine my gran and grandad for example have 10 years between them... one of my friends she's 14 turning 15 and dating a guy that is 22 years old
all love is love i dont think that it matters if you are 10 or even 50 years apart soo yeah Smile

See now that should be illegal (the 14 year old and the 22 year old, not your grandparents). Its not the age difference thats the problem, its the difference in age classes. A 15 year old girl, a girl in the middle of adolescence, dating a full grown man. That I see as a bit of an iffy situation... Neutral
Beeblebrox
Really Not Okay
Beeblebrox
September 27th, 2007 at 07:03pm
There is 17 years between my mother and her husband. Nothing weird about them.
All_You_Need_Is_Love
Joining The Black Parade
All_You_Need_Is_Love
September 27th, 2007 at 09:08pm
I do think it matters to a degree.
It's not the only thing that matters, but some age differences are just insane.
It's also that age differences seem to be less as you get older. When twenty-three year old's date sixteen year old's... I find that disturbing, personally.
gothgirl1975
Motor Baby
gothgirl1975
September 27th, 2007 at 09:59pm
Well my grandad has just celebrated his 30 year wedding anniversary. He is mid 80's and she is mid 50's. So yeah they got together when they were about 25 and 55. It can work. Though if it was a 16yr old and a 46 year old then hmm 16yr old not got enough life experience on their shoulders in my opinion.
Mr.Armstrong
Awake and Unafraid
Mr.Armstrong
September 27th, 2007 at 10:02pm
diffrent ages are acceptable its just if yeah its a legal age.
my mom was 24 when she got married and my dad was 30.
i see nothing wrong with that but when its like
13 getting married to a 17 year old then there is a problem there
SFXtra
Motor Baby
SFXtra
September 27th, 2007 at 10:25pm
Personally, I dont see anything wrong with teenage age gaps. I like a guy who's like, 4 years older than me. so what? no one can tell me not to date him because he's older, or over 18.
All_You_Need_Is_Love
Joining The Black Parade
All_You_Need_Is_Love
September 27th, 2007 at 10:27pm
xMyBlackDaliahx:
diffrent ages are acceptable its just if yeah its a legal age.
my mom was 24 when she got married and my dad was 30.
i see nothing wrong with that but when its like
13 getting married to a 17 year old then there is a problem there

A six year age difference isn't that big, though... at least not at those ages.

Personally, I just find it strange when people are several generations apart.
Bleeding Dry
Bleeding on the Floor
Bleeding Dry
September 27th, 2007 at 10:39pm
I don't think age doesnt matter as long as its love...

apart from the 90 year old famous people dating twenty years olds... strange
mercy in the sky.
Shotgun Sinner
mercy in the sky.
September 28th, 2007 at 07:16am
Depends for me on how big the age gap is.
If you're a teenager just beginning to date people ( around 13-18 ) than it's more complicated.
When you get older and become an adult, it's not so much of a big deal because you have life experience and are more level-headed.
As far as I'm concerned, the gap can be pretty big if you're a responsible adult.

Not TOO big, though. Razz
Pilgrim.
Salute You in Your Grave
Pilgrim.
September 28th, 2007 at 11:58am
There are the legal issues involved if a person underage is dating someone over 18. Although they might not have a problem with the fact, someone else in their family might have. My friend is 17 and going out with a 22-year-old, their relationship is fine but someone else's parents might have something against it.
As for the age differences overall, I've noticed that as you get older, the age starts to play a less significant part each year. Nevertheless, I doubt that I'd be able to form a healthy relationship with someone as old as my dad, but I've learned never to say never. All that depends on the two people involved, their personalities and interests more than anything else.
gemstonefromabove
Killjoy
gemstonefromabove
September 28th, 2007 at 12:13pm
age shouldnt really be a barrier in any situation (as long as its legal)

i mean come on, in the work place there are age discrimination acts.

so why should coupples be discriminated because of their age.

as long as it works for them and their happy, and werent forced into it then its all good really.

even if it makes you feel strange to see people with a large age gap, think what if i found that right person for me who was x years older/younger. would i really care???

and if u would, then your a bit uptight, so chill out. (even though thats not the easier thing in the world i know)
All_You_Need_Is_Love
Joining The Black Parade
All_You_Need_Is_Love
September 29th, 2007 at 02:41am
gemstonefromabove:
so why should coupples be discriminated because of their age.

as long as it works for them and their happy, and werent forced into it then its all good really.

even if it makes you feel strange to see people with a large age gap, think what if i found that right person for me who was x years older/younger. would i really care???

and if u would, then your a bit uptight, so chill out. (even though thats not the easier thing in the world i know)

You're fairly rude.
I just thought you should know.

The reason the age in couples* should matter is because (A) maturity... when people are two decades apart, one person has experiences twenty years more than the other person. One person is closer to death than the other. Chances are, one person is MUCH more mature than the other and (B) people are often intimidated by age. When an age gap is large enough, the younger person often feels as though because this person is an elder, they need to respect them- even though that is often subconscious.
RaggDoll
Killjoy
RaggDoll
September 29th, 2007 at 03:36am
To me age is kind of important. I dont think I would ever date a person more than 1 year younger than myself. Older is fine. Unless they are like 4 yrs or older then perhaps you should reconsider.
But if you seriously 'love/like' someone then it shouldnt matter. But the law rules the world now... so I guess it does matter.

..Live It..
ThisWarIsOurs
Motor Baby
ThisWarIsOurs
September 29th, 2007 at 10:10pm
personally i dont think age matters
if yuo loe someone then that should be enough
Elwood.
Fabulous Killjoy
Elwood.
September 29th, 2007 at 11:13pm
As long as they both know what they're doing. For instance, I don't think a 13-year-old is mature enough to date a 22-year-old, because the 22-year-old is obviously much more physically, mentally and emotionally developed than the 13-year-old. Age difference can be hindering in some relationships, but if you find a way around it, then sure, go ahead and marry your 60-year-old true love for all I care.
fancy pirouettes.
Awake and Unafraid
fancy pirouettes.
September 30th, 2007 at 02:00am
I think that I doesn't matter. If you are mature enough to handle dating someone older then you then go for it. If you are 15 and dating someone that's 18 the 13 your old better know what they are getting in to. If they can handle dating someone that is older sure fine. It all depends upon the person, how mature they are, and what they know.
On the other hand I don't think anyone would under the age of 14 should be dating anyone that more then 1 or 2 years older then them.
All_You_Need_Is_Love
Joining The Black Parade
All_You_Need_Is_Love
September 30th, 2007 at 05:00am
frerardsex:
I think that I doesn't matter. If you are mature enough to handle dating someone older then you then go for it. If you are 15 and dating someone that's 18 the 13 your old better know what they are getting in to. If they can handle dating someone that is older sure fine. It all depends upon the person, how mature they are, and what they know.
On the other hand I don't think anyone would under the age of 14 should be dating anyone that more then 1 or 2 years older then them.

How many thirteen year olds know what they are getting into when they do almost anything?
All_You_Need_Is_Love
Joining The Black Parade
All_You_Need_Is_Love
September 30th, 2007 at 05:01am
Famous_last_wordz:
personally i dont think age matters
if yuo loe someone then that should be enough

So you would date a thirty-five year old and see nothing wrong with that?