Don't have an account? Create one!

Euthanasia

AuthorMessage
GhouliaYelps
Jazz Hands
GhouliaYelps
June 29th, 2008 at 09:59am
I personally have no problems with euthanasia..my only issue is when the loved ones who carry it out are prosecuted on the grounds that the sick person was not well enough ( theres a legal term that escapes me at the moment) isn't that the whole point? that and they will probably never be 'well enough' or of sound mind to make that decision..
Spirited Away
Joining The Black Parade
Spirited Away
July 1st, 2008 at 01:07am
Well I think that it should be the person who is sick's choice. But what if that person cannot speak or move? Then how do they make that decision?
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
January 31st, 2009 at 06:14pm
There was a recent drama on tv that focused on an old woman choosing the option of euthanasia, i think it was the one with julie walters in it btw.

And as much as i support euthanasia , and i believe a human should be able to have the choice to die, for some reason a random thought popped into my head.

What about the doctors that have to perform the procedure? When i thought about it i wouldn't be too happy if the government told me that part of my job had changed and i now had to help kill a person i dont think i could do it, it'd be unfair on the doctors if you understand me.

I think my point is that id never thought of it that way, we automatically think about the person choosing to die, but its more complicated than that. Theres many more dimensions that need to be explored before one can pass judgement. Maybe thats part of the reason the government are so hesitant in making it legal.
fawkes
Bleeding on the Floor
fawkes
February 2nd, 2009 at 06:14am
I think that under the right circumstances, euthanasia is the right choice. Someone I loved very much committed suicide because she was dying and in a lot of pain. Euthanasia would have been more humane and a better way for her to go, but she didn't have that option. Having said that, it would have been harder on our family if she'd told anyone what she wanted to do. I don't think many people could live knowing that they helped or condoned someone else's wish to die, but it's not a decision anyone responsible should make on their own.

It's also a situation by situation deal, which is probably one of the reasons it's illegal. There's the argument that a cure could be found for the illness, etc before the person naturally dies, but that would be highly unlikely.

There are some doctors who support euthanasia. I don't think a doctor would perform it if it went against their beliefs. I also think that there's a difference between refusing treatment and dying and death by lethal injection (or otherwise) before natural death would occur. The first doesn't seem so harsh because no one's hurting or killing anyone. It's not as controversial.
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
February 2nd, 2009 at 07:08am

The thing for me is that people view Euthanasia as cruel, to humans and animals alike, and that is shouldn't be an option anywhere.

Let me adress the Animals first.
I'm an animal lover. I'm intrigued by animals and am planning on a career involving myself with them. I think Euthanasia should be allowed. It isn't cruel, it is humane in many cases.

If you were a vet and an animal came into your clinic that had severe burns to the whole of its body. It has a 1% chance of surving with treatment, but even so, it will never live a happy life. Are you going to make that animal suffer? Watch as it can't lead a normal life?
Normal is a subjective term, I know. What I mean is a happy life. A satisfied life.
Instead, you can Euthanasia the animal and save it a lifetime of pain and suffering. I think that letting the animal live is crueler than letting it pass away peacefully.

Now, humans.
I think it should be an option, to an extent. Somebody that is under the age of say, 18, should not have the responsibility or pressure of being able to choose to take their own life. I think somebody like a parent or guardian must also approve that the illness is too much for the child to bear, or that there is no sign of improvement and the child is in significant pain.

It's really such a sensitive and complex subject that it is quite a contradictive topic.
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
February 2nd, 2009 at 08:16am
^^ But if the child is under 18 and has been battling a life-threatening illness most of their life (say leukemia or other cancer) and has had several relapses, if they can make a sound choice that "I don't want to go through treatment again; I just want to be a normal kid until I can't anymore," then why force them through long and excruciating treatments only to relapse again? Is it not better to just allow them to be kids for that time, and then let them go in peace?

I think medical science has made amazing, mind-boggling leaps and bounds, almost to the extent that they've gone too far. The definition of "life" isn't even absolute -- people disagree as to when it begins (conception vs. birth -- and I'm just throwing that out there as a fact, if you'd like to agree or disagree please take it to the Abortion thread) and when it ends (brain wave activity vs. a pulse, respiration, or any other involuntary activity) so I feel it should be left to each person to decide according to their own values and faiths.

The only argument I have for euthanasia is that; we wouldn't allow our pet to suffer cancer or other illnesses, we give them a simple, painless passing so that they die without suffering; so why should a human not be allowed to make that choice for themselves if possible?

I have an Advance Directive or "Living Will" as it is more commonly known; I live in FL where this battle was played out a few years ago with the Terri Schiavo case. Because of what they did to her I made my wishes simple and clear. I think that choice should be given to all.
Sid
Salute You in Your Grave
Sid
February 4th, 2009 at 09:04pm
The sick person should have that choice and anyone else involved should respect that. I've heard that when people are near death, they know and if it's their time, it's their time. Why drag it out? I imagine it would be incredabley painful to experience and it's certainly painful to watch. If a sick person's life has been tragically cut short due to a terrible illness in which they have no choice but to suffer from, at least let them make the decision as to whether they want to go sooner rather than later.
believing.
Salute You in Your Grave
believing.
February 7th, 2009 at 10:04am
But it is up to the person on whether they want euthanasia or not. If they're reallysuffering, why prolong their life anymore tn they want to? Might as well let them live their life the way they want until they're ready to move on, no more suffering, no more pain.

An in the case of animals, just think. If your pet dog or cat was severely injured in an accident, and only had a fifteen percent chance of survival, would you rather let it live out the rest of its life in misery and pain, or end it? At least they can go in peace.
Darkromance
Banned
Darkromance
February 12th, 2009 at 12:27pm
It really matters what your views are, spiritual wise and moral wise. If you think there's some kind of punishment after life for intentionally killing yourself, then that is going to really affect your view.

And if you have different views, or you're an athiest with certain views for example, you may just think that it's better to end life and not go through the pain. If you just have views about life having to do with "living as long as you can no matter what", then that will obviously effect your views. No one's answer is right my everybody.
teen spirit.
Crash Queen
teen spirit.
February 20th, 2009 at 11:30am
it depends on everyone's religous views etc.
but at the end of the day, if someone is in horrible pain, i don't see why they wouldn't want to be put out of their misery.
sir_pleb
Jazz Hands
sir_pleb
March 8th, 2009 at 01:28am
tabitha:
^^ But if the child is under 18 and has been battling a life-threatening illness most of their life (say leukemia or other cancer) and has had several relapses, if they can make a sound choice that "I don't want to go through treatment again; I just want to be a normal kid until I can't anymore," then why force them through long and excruciating treatments only to relapse again? Is it not better to just allow them to be kids for that time, and then let them go in peace?.

But that situation wouldn't require euthanasia. Patients have the right to refuse treatment, this just allows their illness to kill them. A girl made that decision last year.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hereford/worcs/7721231.stm

The issue comes for non-terminal patients. There are various forms of dementia that leave elderly unable to care for themselves or remember their relatives, and one has to ask, what is their life worth? Their relatives that are left to care for them often end up resenting them before they finally die.

Also, my mother has MS. She's been diagnosed with relapsing-remitting MS, which sees her have bad periods followed by good periods that can last for years. She's been fine for about five years now, but it could well be secondary progressive, which means that later in life she'll just have steady decline. I can't imagine she'll be getting much enjoyment out of it considering how bad her first attack was, when she was completely unable to stand, felt nauseus when moving, had constant double vision, constant fatigue and incontinence. She has said that the only reason she's not let this affect her is because my younger sister is only nine and she doesn't want anything to happen until she's old enough to live on her own. I don't want to see my mother in this situation, but I certainly don't want to see come down with secondary progressive and I don't think she does either.
ClaireBear016
Killjoy
ClaireBear016
April 1st, 2009 at 02:04am
Well if i was gunna die anyway, then i dont see why not, but there would have to be boundaries...
K.K.
Bleeding on the Floor
K.K.
April 18th, 2009 at 09:58am
ClaireBear016:
Well if i was gunna die anyway, then i dont see why not, but there would have to be boundaries...

Yeah, just what I think
Daft
Fabulous Killjoy
Daft
April 18th, 2009 at 04:56pm
Euthanasia: sympathy killing. It's a hitler-esque idea actually practiced by hitler himself to kill retards and disabled people. I do suppose it's practiced these days e/g turning off life support of someone in an incurable coma.
However I think given the option to kill yourself if you think there is no other way out is...well suicide. Cos you're killing yourself.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
April 18th, 2009 at 06:53pm
It's completly different, Hitler slaughtered thousands because HE felt like it. With Euthanasia, Mature adult consent is given.

And also, is it really suicide, when all hope of life is already in tatters?
idk. my bff jill?
Demolition Lover
idk. my bff jill?
April 18th, 2009 at 09:30pm
I have mixed feelings.
I mean,if the person is suffering,and they want to end it,then let them.
But I mean,that sounds kinda...crude? I guess.
Daft
Fabulous Killjoy
Daft
April 19th, 2009 at 03:48am
John St. John:

And also, is it really suicide, when all hope of life is already in tatters?

Yes, on every occasion of suicidelity i've had any hope of living is definately in tatters
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
April 19th, 2009 at 06:28am
^^ I disagree, if you mean suicide in terms of depression, depression isn't terminal. It can be beaten and overcome
Incognito.
Bleeding on the Floor
Incognito.
April 19th, 2009 at 06:42am
Well.... as has been said it's very different killing yourself out of depression and being suicidale but with this I think that it's totally up to the individuality of the case like if they're terminal anyway and it's putting them out of their misery then sure but if they still have a chance of surviving then i think there should be atleast a second medical opinion and then the wishes of the paitent and their family...
Daft
Fabulous Killjoy
Daft
April 19th, 2009 at 05:38pm
/agree. However... As my psych asked me. If i could click my fingers and die... would you do it. If your life was shredded. and you were a danger to yourself and others.. Like, euthanasia of someone who would kill his/her wife/husband and kids? (my bad if that's grammatically incorrect)