Don't have an account? Create one!

Euthanasia

AuthorMessage
Littlemisschem
Fabulous Killjoy
Littlemisschem
March 24th, 2008 at 06:40pm
I don't really support euthanasia. I guess if the person just really wanted you to put them out of their misery.... nope, I still don't like it.
stac-renee
Killjoy
stac-renee
April 1st, 2008 at 09:49am
EUTHANASIA IS ACTUALLY NOT LEGAL, I BELIEVE THE LORD WILL TAKE YOU WHEN HE IS READY AND YOU SHOULD BE PATIENT NO MATTER WHAT CONDITION YOU ARE IN.
HOWEVER, THE MEDICAL GROUP HOSPICE THAT TAKES CARE OF TERMINALLY ILL PATIENTS ACTUALLY DO COMMIT EUTHANASIA BY GIVEIN THEIR PATIENTS MORPHINE AND SLOWLY INCREASING THE DOSE UNTIL YOUR RESPIRATIONS ARE SO LOW YOU JUST STOP BREATHIING
ciara.
Crash Queen
ciara.
April 7th, 2008 at 08:29am
Littlemisschem:
I don't really support euthanasia. I guess if the person just really wanted you to put them out of their misery.... nope, I still don't like it.
same here.

in cases like this, i don't think death should be a decision by any person, not even the person in the situation
maybe my pov is like that because i'm a christian... but idk...
Gerards-Angel
Killjoy
Gerards-Angel
April 8th, 2008 at 09:35am
I agree with alot of you that it should be legal.
Living in pain and being tataly dependant on someone else must be so difficult and although its alot to ask of someone, I know that I would like someone to help me out if I ever get to that stage.
The problem is, if it was made legal, many murders may happen but then use the excuse "they wanted me to do it". Which could cause many problems =/
xxx
William the Bloody
Killjoy
William the Bloody
April 8th, 2008 at 03:00pm
If someone were in a great deal of pain and they wanted to end their life, then they should have that option. I would be more fair to let a person die quick and painlessly then watch them fade away slowly for a long period of time.
doctor.
In The Murder Scene
doctor.
April 11th, 2008 at 11:08am

It is commonly said that people aren't in the right state when they ask for euthanasia. However, what some people are forgetting is that they may be in this state FOREVER. Therefore, surely they are capable of deciding how their life goes.

I believe euthanasia gives the option to die in dignity. Also, many people get illness where they lose certain parts of their memory. Surely, letting them die whilst they remember their life.

If something can be done in order to save someone's life, it would be best to go ahead with that and try whatever possible to spare them.
Girl Anachronism
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Girl Anachronism
April 11th, 2008 at 05:00pm
If the person you were doing it to agree with it and you had their consent, then I'm for it. If what they have is going to kill them anyway, its incurable, and they are in horrible pain, then I think it should be aloud, because it would be a more peaceful, less painful death then whatever they have would bring them.
I say its okay as long as the person wants you to do it, or if they've been in a coma forever and their family can't stand seeing them like that, there's like, no chance of them ever waking up, or the family can't pay the medical bills in order to house them in the hospital much longer, then, go for it, I guess.

But I'd say only doctors should be able to do it, that way, no murders can say 'but its what they wanted'. We wouldn't want that....
sir_pleb
Jazz Hands
sir_pleb
April 12th, 2008 at 07:12pm
I'm a bit surprised that no one in this thread has mentioned the Netherlands, where euthanasia is legal.

Before anyone says people can just go around murdering others, there is strict procedure.

The patient must have the agreement their own doctor, as well as an independent doctor. The patient must be suffering with no prospect of improvement, and must make persistant requests for euthanasia over time. The patient must also not suffer from any mental illness. It is also allowed for children between 12 and 16 with parental consent. Any younger than 12 is illegal.

However, there is something called the Groningen protocol, which when followed in the case of an under-12, prosecutors will not charge the doctor. This requires a decision from a group of doctors, social workers and the parents. There is then a waiting period of several days for the parents to change their minds. This, it must be said, is only followed in very extreme cases of child illness.
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
May 12th, 2008 at 02:24am
stac-renee:
EUTHANASIA IS ACTUALLY NOT LEGAL, I BELIEVE THE LORD WILL TAKE YOU WHEN HE IS READY AND YOU SHOULD BE PATIENT NO MATTER WHAT CONDITION YOU ARE IN.
HOWEVER, THE MEDICAL GROUP HOSPICE THAT TAKES CARE OF TERMINALLY ILL PATIENTS ACTUALLY DO COMMIT EUTHANASIA BY GIVEIN THEIR PATIENTS MORPHINE AND SLOWLY INCREASING THE DOSE UNTIL YOUR RESPIRATIONS ARE SO LOW YOU JUST STOP BREATHIING

Just playing devils advocate here but what if you dont believe in jesus or god ? gotta remember a lot of people are out there that aren't Christian

im alright with euthanasia i think everyone has a right to end things providing theres a damn good reason.

its really just a question of ethics and morals .
ethics are whats right and wrong according to my position
and morals are what i personally think is right and wrong

as a doctor ethically it would be right for me to keep the guy alive.
but morally it would be right for me to make sure he goes in dignity.

HEY AMY
Salute You in Your Grave
HEY AMY
May 12th, 2008 at 05:02am
Migatron.:
stac-renee:

Just playing devils advocate here but what if you dont believe in jesus or god ? gotta remember a lot of people are out there that aren't Christian

im alright with euthanasia i think everyone has a right to end things providing theres a damn good reason.

its really just a question of ethics and morals .
ethics are whats right and wrong according to my position
and morals are what i personally think is right and wrong

as a doctor ethically it would be right for me to keep the guy alive.
but morally it would be right for me to make sure he goes in dignity.

yeah. i agree. cos, the person may be in a lot of pain, and them being peacefully put out of their misery might be for the best.
im not too sure what i think though.
for me, its kinda the whole 'god is the only one who has a right to take a life', but like you pointed out, that obviously doesnt work for everyone. so im not too sure...
IceHog69
Bulletproof Heart
IceHog69
May 12th, 2008 at 10:34am
stac-renee:
EUTHANASIA IS ACTUALLY NOT LEGAL

Euthanasia is legal in a lot of countries, including:

Colombia
the Netherlands
Belgium
Norway
Finland
Japan
Switzerland
Albania (with 3+ family members consent)
Luxembourg is waiting for a second reading for it to come into force. Plus in Oregon, Texas, and possibly California

is turning off a life support machine euthanasia?
The?!Society
Fabulous Killjoy
The?!Society
May 12th, 2008 at 11:20am
is turning off a life support machine euthanasia?

That's a good question. In that case, if you were the one on life support, the case in whether or not you live is not in your hands. It's in your doctor/family's hands. Wouldn't that be the same as murder? Or is it considered okay if you were only living because of the life support?
Heart Attack.
Salute You in Your Grave
Heart Attack.
June 8th, 2008 at 04:43pm
Well, if the person is suffering so much that they have lost the will to live, and they basically can't function anymore, then it would be cruel to keep them alive. The option should be open to them, even if some people dont believe its right.
Heybaberiba
Fabulous Killjoy
Heybaberiba
June 8th, 2008 at 05:08pm
The best thing everyone here can do is informing your loved ones how they should act if it was you in that hospital bed.

I could personally not imagine living as a vegetable and would want my loved ones to turn the machines off and make sure that my organs comes to good use.
If i would be terminally ill and it was painfull, dope me up or put me to sleep. Smile
Tikva
Fabulous Killjoy
Tikva
June 8th, 2008 at 05:28pm
Heybaberiba:
The best thing everyone here can do is informing your loved ones how they should act if it was you in that hospital bed.

I could personally not imagine living as a vegetable and would want my loved ones to turn the machines off and make sure that my organs comes to good use.
If i would be terminally ill and it was painfull, dope me up or put me to sleep. Smile

Ditto. Although I think there would need to be some kind of legal aspect put in place for this. Maybe it is something that could be included when you get your Drivers License? You fill out some kind of legal form in which you state the specific circumstances under which you would want to be 'put to sleep'. Here in New Zealand you can decide whether or not you would like to be an Organ Donor when you get, and renew, your Drivers License. Unfortunately, even if you do decide to be a donor, your 'next of kin' can stop it from happening in the event of your death, which I believe is wrong.

Personally, I am not against Euthanasia, as long as there are strict protocols in place, and that it is done by a Professional Medical Doctor. I don't think I agree with the practice mentioned above where you have to request it repeatedly before you are taken seriously.

If we as a society have the compassion and mercy to put an animal to sleep when they have a terminal illness, or have been extremely badly wounded in some way, then we should have the compassion and mercy to do it for human beings as well ~ as long as it IS the choice of the person themselves, and NO ONE else.
IceHog69
Bulletproof Heart
IceHog69
June 10th, 2008 at 08:06am
In my personal opinion, i think that if a person has said that they would want their life support machine turned off after a certain time, or a DNR, then people should respect that wish, and must turn it off. If they haven't and they are suffering, (be it pain, or just plain vegetative state) then it is up to the family. If they person is not going to recover, and their life at the moment can't be called a life, then they should be allowed to 'put them out of their misery'.
annaaloves
Bleeding on the Floor
annaaloves
June 12th, 2008 at 03:15pm
it's the sick persons decision and nobody elses, they know when things get uncomfortable and unbearable for them and they should have the right to say if they want to live or not.
Just Steph...
Motor Baby
Just Steph...
June 18th, 2008 at 02:38pm
I'm for it.
I don't see why suicide should be legal, yet euthanasia isn't, when a depressed person can be helped but a terminally ill person can't.
neville longbottom.
Banned
neville longbottom.
June 27th, 2008 at 12:56pm
I'm for it.
Even if there isn't something terminally wrong with you but you want to be dead and don't want to commit suicide (in case of needless pain etc) then you should be able to do it.
It seems very lateral thinking that a person should be allowed to die when they want.
ladygelliza
Bleeding on the Floor
ladygelliza
June 27th, 2008 at 10:50pm
if someone is suffering horribly, it would be better to go into a peaceful place instead of barely living painfully so yeah im for it.