Don't have an account? Create one!

Adoption

AuthorMessage
karah
Killjoy
karah
February 28th, 2007 at 08:39pm
i think you can have the same parenting experiences if you adopt or have your own children. personaly if i want to have children i'm going to adopt. you can help a little baby who's only mistake was being born at the wrong time or to the wrong people or in the wrong place.
xLaVenin
Killjoy
xLaVenin
February 28th, 2007 at 11:45pm
I'd adopt.
Just 'cause I don't want to go through all the pain of pregnancy.
Inertiatic Esp.
Bleeding on the Floor
Inertiatic Esp.
March 1st, 2007 at 12:23am
I dont know.

I have to wait till im ready to have a child
Catharsis
Jazz Hands
Catharsis
March 1st, 2007 at 07:04pm
Speaking as someone who can't have children but would like to be a mother one day, i think adoption is great and i would definantely think seriously about using this method to fullfil my maternal instincts.

Not only would it allow me to do something which i otherwise wouldn't have the oportunity to do nad be someone i wouldn't otherwise be able to be but it would give a child the opportunities they would otherwise miss out on if they were to continue living in overcrowded orphanages etc.

On the other hand whenever i think about it i always have this issue which plagues my mind of whether i would be able to truely feel like the child was mine, whether i could truely feel like a mother because there is no actually genetic relationship.
bloodredruby69
Banned
bloodredruby69
March 2nd, 2007 at 01:47am
^Blood has very little to do with actual familial love.
If you think about it, it's nothing more than genetic similarities.
We are not obliged to love those whom we share blood with,
and we are not born with bonds to those people, just because we are "family."

Family is what you make of it; your relatives and friends that you love with
all your heart. You can detest your entire blood family, and be really close to
your friends - the family you choose.

Because without the feelings to back it, blood is nothing.

That's why adoption works.

I can understand where some people would feel that they are not
as close to a child because they are not genetically linked,
but the fact that the person raised you and cared for you, and called
you "son" or "daughter" is what makes them your child.

Not if you have a half dozen aleles in common or not.
miss may; ballroom
Bleeding on the Floor
miss may; ballroom
March 7th, 2007 at 09:02pm
I am all for adoption. Both of my older sisters are adopted, and I can't imagine life without them.

For those who insult and degrade mothers who give up their children, I do not understand you. My sisters would have grown up on the streets of Seoul [It's the capital of South Korea.] They wouldn't have lived a normal life at all. If you were a mother, with a little child, could you make the decision for them to have that kind of life?

And about giving a child up because you don't want it. I, personally, think that it is a good thing. Should a child grow up in a home where he/she is unwanted and unloved? Adoptive parents choose their children, and they do love them.
I will adopt when I am old enough and mature enough. I decided that four or five years ago. There are children everywhere with no home and no family. If I could give that to someone, I'd do anything to make it happen.

Also, I believe prospective adoptive parents shouldn't just go for babies. There are thousands, if not millions, of older children out there who need a home just as much as the babies. I plan on adopting not just babies, but older kids too. I don't need to have my own biological children to know that I would love them.

Also, I am bisexual. I may never have kids with MY DNA. But I do know that I will have kids and love them. It's something I've always wanted.

And I know being adopted can mess a kid up. To put it in the best words, "the wires in my sister's head are crossed." She has so many problems, and they don't just affect her. I know that. But part of that is how she was born, and being here, in my family, is better than having all those problems out on the streets.

Adoptive parents love their adopted children just as much as their biological ones. I'm not adopted, and my sisters are, and my parents love them just as much as me, and me as much as them.

So basically, I'm for adoption. It's fabulous. It's such an amazing thing that it brings tears to my eyes.
Stripey-Stripes.
Motor Baby
Stripey-Stripes.
March 8th, 2007 at 09:18am
i think adopting is an excellent idea...there are so many choldren who dont have homes and we can do so much for them.
i plan on adopting (especially foster children) there are so many teens in the US who dont have homes and have no hope for one bc they're too old or have a medical issue and thats not right. even if they're 17 and will be declared adults in a matter of months they deserve to know whats its like to belong to somebody and have a family.
Muted Scream
Fabulous Killjoy
Muted Scream
March 9th, 2007 at 06:56pm
Although i myself was adopted from South Korea, i would want to have a stab at having my own children first before adopting myself. In fact, i am having a baby right now, my g/f is due in May, we're having a baby girl. This is a great feeling, cause i am honestly alone here, from what i know, i am the only one of my bloodline and lineage here in the USA ( i was adopted when i was 13 months old). My oldest sister was adopted from korea too, although we aren't related. i guess it's the feeling of me starting my own bloodline, a piece of me, looking back at me. when i was growing up, i had a big fear of stumbling across things that were hereditary. like alcoholism(i was sure i was...but it turned out i was really just a manic depressant) and depression, anxiety, bipolarism..blah blah. so if you're going to adopt (which is a good thing, otherwise i wouldn't be here) just consider your kids feelings, they might want tomeet their birth parents one day. i have yet to do such a thing, and i don't really plan on it, although me and my sister did go thru a rough time in our lives pondering why our parents didnt want us in the first place. also, if they are of a different culture, try to throw that into the upbringing. I know very very little Korean, i know almost nil about my culture, and i am honestly the whitest asian you will ever meet.
YourStarlessEyes
Killjoy
YourStarlessEyes
March 25th, 2007 at 09:19pm
Well, I have heard that the world will soon become over populated, and maybe in 30-50-100 years or so there will be fourteen billion people on the planet. So adoption is definetely something to consider, especially since so many children are being abused. But it may be hard, because many couples want to have their own child, and an adopted child might find it hard growing up, living with the fact that their parents aren't their actualy parents. Please don't judge me on my opinions, I respect yours too.
YourStarlessEyes
Killjoy
YourStarlessEyes
Well, I have heard that the world will soon become over populated, and maybe in 30-50-100 years or so there will be fourteen billion people on the planet. So adoption is definetely something to consider, especially since so many children are being abused. But it may be hard, because many couples want to have their own child, and an adopted child might find it hard growing up, living with the fact that their parents aren't their actualy parents. Please don't judge me on my opinions, I respect yours too.
YourStarlessEyes
Killjoy
YourStarlessEyes
My apologies for the double post.
Helena_Way
Killjoy
Helena_Way
March 26th, 2007 at 03:51pm
I think adopting is a great thing to do! my parents are foster parents so at this moment we have 2 foster kids in my house and 4 adopted. i think its a thing everyone should consider.....i think its the best thing my parents could have done for anyone
Optimistic Pessimist
Motor Baby
Optimistic Pessimist
March 27th, 2007 at 01:41pm
yes, i would consider adopting a child. There are so many children in the world without homes and go through life alone and without a family.

However some of the complications that could happen with adopting a child is that considering the fact they're not living with what some would call "they're real family" , some kids could have a problem . But I guess it all depends on how old they are when theyr'e adopted. If they're older, then they're probably going to have some adjustments to go through. But if they're younger than it's sometimes easier. However, as the child gets older they could start asking questions about if anyone knew about their biological parents and why they were put up for adoption in the first place
I luv Frankadizzle
Jazz Hands
I luv Frankadizzle
March 27th, 2007 at 09:52pm
my childhood hero/still role model was adopted
I dunno his story kinda promted me to adopt a child.
Basically children who relm from foster care to foster care end up leaving in broken lives.
I think its good because even if they were they still have parents that love them
Insurgentes
Bleeding on the Floor
Insurgentes
March 27th, 2007 at 11:43pm
I have always said that if I wanted to have a child, I would much rather adopt.

I think it's a wonderful thing to do for kids who don't have homes anymore because their parents either died or gave them up simply because they didn't want them anymore. It's an incredibly wrong and cruel truth about the world that people can just have a baby and decide they don't want them.
You made them, so you should keep them!

Although, if parents didn't really want their child and kept them anyway, they might abuse them or something to that extent just to take out their frustrations because they weren't ready. Which is why it's a good thing that there's such things as foster care and adoption centers.
It's just unfortunate that there are more children that need homes than there are people who are willing to give them loving homes.

The biggest problem is that people adopt and decide they can't handle it, so they give the child up to another family and they constantly roam with no stable homes. It can have horrible effects on their lives and damage them in the long run.

So, like I said before, if I wanted a child, I would most likely adopt and give a child a loving home to grow up in.
echo lawrence.
Jazz Hands
echo lawrence.
March 28th, 2007 at 01:21pm
I was adopted as an infant--11 days--, and I think if I chose to adopt, I would try to do that--adopt someone with no name and no memories so I could witness first steps and first words and first smiles. Because it would be hard to understand and picture a previous life for your child, especially one thst was unpleasant or troubled enough to warrant adoption, and because of that lack of understanding I'm not sure that I would be able to give that child the kind of life it deserves, in a way. It's hard to explain but the entire notion of a previous life, without me or my partner, would make me a bit uncomfortable.
ILuvMCRandYotas
Motor Baby
ILuvMCRandYotas
March 29th, 2007 at 01:25pm
I would consider adopting an older child. There are so many children in the world without good homes. It's always a gamble though, if the child will accept you, etc. But if it's something that a person or a couple really wants to do, they should go for it, especially if they can't have children on their own.
Disturbia
Salute You in Your Grave
Disturbia
April 10th, 2007 at 04:08pm
Adoption is right for women that cant have children, my aunty adopted a child when she found out that she couldnt give birth, and i think it was an amazing choice cos me and my cousin, Will, are real close

But angelina jolie adopting all those forgien kids, and she's supposed to be giving them a life Neutral
I would never raise a child in the spotlight. I wouldnt want to bring up a child if i was as famous as her, i would want my child to have a normal life, and angelina can have children, she's proved it, she's had one already.
Ben Dover
Fabulous Killjoy
Ben Dover
June 5th, 2007 at 10:32pm
I would definatley adopt a child.
Im adopted and Im so grateful for it.
I think I am going to adopt a child, I might have one naturally, But i KNOW I want to adopt a child. Maybe form Cambodia or somewhere else.
Im not sure.
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
June 6th, 2007 at 12:39am
peter petrelli.:
But recently, i had test run for a Kidney infection, and it showed i had a 5 cm Cyst in my ovary, and they have to remove my entire right ovary.
The chances of me actually becoming pregnant are practically none, and for a while, i was extremely depressed.
I still envy people who can experience pregnancy and secretly loath people who just don't want kids, but thats a resentment i have to learn to live with.

I can't speak for your individual situation, there's probably more to it than what you've described here, but women have two ovaries, not just one, so with one removed because of the cyst, you should still have a fairly good chance of falling pregnant if the other isn't damaged. Sure, the chances of you falling pregnant are halved because you have half the amount of eggs now, but chances are still pretty good.

I personally would never adopt a child. I had considered it in the past, because I had never been pregnant and had always figured if I couldn't conceive, I'd adopt rather than remain childless, but now that I'm definitely capable of having my own babies, I'll never adopt.
For one, I certainly cannot afford to adopt, and in this country the laws and waiting times are absolutely ridiculous - a potential adopting couple has to have a huge regular income to prove they can support the child, must own their own home, must have a certain amount of savings in the bank, must be married for a minimum period, and must be a certain age. To me, the age is probably too old (I can't find the exact requirements, but logic suggests that if there's an age/money/etc limit, the age isn't going to be less than 30), the amount of money you have to have is astronomical, and therefore basically only rich people can adopt, and when you have to wait up to 8 years to get to the top of the list, you're too damn old to be raising a child anyway. Say, you and your husband get married at 32 and try for six years to have a child, only to be told that you can't conceive. So, you go through the process of getting into the system, only to be nearing 50 by the time your chance comes along. By then, the agency won't give you a child because you're too old.

In addition to the legal requirements and waiting times, which are positively moronic (although I can understand the need to prove to the agency/government that you're financially capable of raising a child), I personally would be worried about the child itself.
I mean, this kid is a stranger - I don't know what herditary medical problems it might develop one day, I don't know what quirky or unsavoury personality traits s/he could grow into (and yes, while a lot of a child's personality etc is due to their upbringing, there's a lot that's inherited from their family), I don't know if there's a history of, say, mental illness, or if the child could grow up to be antisocial or have ADD or otherwise difficult.
If the child had experienced abuse by its parents or foster carers, that trauma could manifest itself later on and there's nothing I could do about it.
And the sad thing is, I know I personally would not be able to bond with and love a child that not only is not my own, but is 'difficult' or has problems. I'd have a hard enough time bonding with my own flesh if it was flawed.

I definitely agree with Yara. Yes, Ruby, although 'family is what you make it' (I know that's not exactly what you meant, but I get your explanation about family being an emotional bond rather than biological), I just feel that I couldn't love someone as much if I hadn't carried them for nine months and gone through every single step of raising them and giving them life, right from conception.

So, I'll never adopt. I would never give a child of mine away for adoption, I'd much, much, much rather abort a pregnancy than carry it for nine months, only to hand it over to an orphanage or potentially abusive/unloving foster parents.
I don't care about overpopulation, I live in one of the lucky countries where I have the option of using birth control to keep my family at a manageable, affordable size, and the problem with overpopulation is that foreign cultures (eg Africa, China) need education to stop them breeding so prolifically. I don't believe 'overpopulation' is a viable excuse to not have your own children and therefore adopt in Western society - we have enough resources, money, space and smarts to choose how big our families are. And mine will stay small - no more than two children. It's these uneducated people who have a child resulting from every sexual encounter they have, that leads to overpopulation and poverty.