Religion

AuthorMessage
rockpapersuzi.
Always Born a Crime
rockpapersuzi.
July 19th, 2006 at 03:46pm
Starr:
*nods*
Most definately. It's stupid the way that schools expect majority of the kids to be from good Christian homes. I mean, most of the Christians in my classes know less about their religion than I do because they don't take the time to try to understand what it means, they just follow it literally. And that's quite sad.
But on the other hand, they also don't take the time to try to understand my religion. They just automatically assume that it's all to do with devil worship and killing things, which Wiccan most certainly isn't.
Religion is such a beautiful and personal thing and you should be allowed to have your own thoughts on it, without having someone dictate what you must think.

I think you have an excellent point. A lot of people in my school haven't taken much time to figure out their own religon and immediately have negative views about other religions. I think that's sad.

I also hate it when we have a new student in the school who may not have the same beliefs as the majority of the class and I see people in the halls whispering about them. Jeez, give 'em a break! The more religous people even try to plot schemes on how to convert them. Let them believe what they believe! I agree with you on many points.
Kid__
Always Born a Crime
Kid__
July 19th, 2006 at 03:51pm
Suzical the Musical.:
I think you have an excellent point. A lot of people in my school haven't taken much time to figure out their own religon and immediately have negative views about other religions. I think that's sad.

I also hate it when we have a new student in the school who may not have the same beliefs as the majority of the class and I see people in the halls whispering about them. Jeez, give 'em a break! The more religous people even try to plot schemes on how to convert them. Let them believe what they believe! I agree with you on many points.

Why thank you. I have very strong opinions on religion because, as a young child, my parents tried to force Christianity upon me, but I questioned it far too much. There were just so many points that were taught to me that I didn't agree with.

Recently my friend said spreading the word of God is good, but I personally feel there is a fine line between trying to spread the word of God to those wanting to hear it, and trying to force your religion on every single person you ever talk to, and many people don't seem to realise that and cross the line so often.
Toro_Sex
Joining The Black Parade
Toro_Sex
July 19th, 2006 at 05:08pm
I go to church every week and I believe that there is a God, but I like having a very personal relationship with him and don't like it when people tell me that I should pray about something or go to their chuch. My faith is my faith and it is what I believe in (I once was very confused but I'm okay now). I think everyone should believe in something.
FlamingXbaby
Thinking Happy Thoughts
FlamingXbaby
July 19th, 2006 at 10:41pm
Yeah it pisses me off when people try to shove their religion on people.
Then when I even bring it up, people assume the worst.
I would like to get people to believe in God and all, but I can't make them and I accept that. God gave us free will... big mistake, but he did.
reinvent love.
Bulletproof Heart
reinvent love.
July 19th, 2006 at 11:32pm
it's kind of hard to believe that there even is a god when all of this crap is going on in the world. i mean, yes, he gave us free choice, but what if he isn't even real? and if he is real, why does he let kids suffer from aids, or anorexia, or any type of sickness for that matter when they didn't do anything?
assiralc talc
Really Not Okay
assiralc talc
July 20th, 2006 at 02:04pm
FlamingXbaby:
God gave us free will... big mistake, but he did.

I don't know if you're joking or not...but I went wtf there. How can it be a mistake to allow us the freedom to make our own choices? God isn't a dictator. Well, at least he shouldn't be.
Kid__
Always Born a Crime
Kid__
July 20th, 2006 at 04:11pm
clarissa:
FlamingXbaby:
God gave us free will... big mistake, but he did.

I don't know if you're joking or not...but I went wtf there. How can it be a mistake to allow us the freedom to make our own choices? God isn't a dictator. Well, at least he shouldn't be.

Actually I quite agree with FlamingXbaby on this one.
Free will allows us to make our own choices, but most people have a habit of choosing what's worst for themselves. When you think about that, free will isn't such a great thing after all.
paperwings.
Bleeding on the Floor
paperwings.
July 21st, 2006 at 05:05am
"If there's a God, then why are all these bad things happening?"

I see that question raised alot.

He doesn't let us do anything. He gave humanity free will, therefore, humanity is doing it, not Him.

I guess it's just about faith, and whether you have it or not.

Confused
assiralc talc
Really Not Okay
assiralc talc
July 21st, 2006 at 03:06pm
Starr:
Actually I quite agree with FlamingXbaby on this one.
Free will allows us to make our own choices, but most people have a habit of choosing what's worst for themselves. When you think about that, free will isn't such a great thing after all.

Wouldn't you rather be able to make your own decisions though? Not every choice people make is going to turn out to be a mistake. I couldn't worship a god that didn't allow me the opportunity to make my own choices. I'd just end up resenting him. How is it life if you can't decide how to live it for yourself?
Kid__
Always Born a Crime
Kid__
July 21st, 2006 at 03:36pm
clarissa:
Wouldn't you rather be able to make your own decisions though? Not every choice people make is going to turn out to be a mistake. I couldn't worship a god that didn't allow me the opportunity to make my own choices. I'd just end up resenting him. How is it life if you can't decide how to live it for yourself?

Yes I would rather make my own choice, but when you make your own choices, how many times do you screw up? It's certainly more often than not screwing up.
And if you go by the Christian Bible, you don't actually have free will because God has everything in your life pre-planned for you. So it may feel like free will to you, but really it isn't.
assiralc talc
Really Not Okay
assiralc talc
July 21st, 2006 at 03:58pm
[quote="Starr"]
clarissa:
Yes I would rather make my own choice, but when you make your own choices, how many times do you screw up? It's certainly more often than not screwing up.
And if you go by the Christian Bible, you don't actually have free will because God has everything in your life pre-planned for you. So it may feel like free will to you, but really it isn't.

Well, I think I'd rather be able to make my own choices. Even if I make the wrong ones, at least I'd made them myself. If I belived god was planning my every move, I think of him as a bit of a facist.

I didn't get the bit about the Bible because I really don't know it very well. But how can it say that god gave us free will and then say that our lives are pre-ordained. Or is that just one of its many contradictions?
Kid__
Always Born a Crime
Kid__
July 21st, 2006 at 04:05pm
clarissa:
Or is that just one of its many contradictions?

I think that's the one.

The reason why I don't follow Christianity. Too many contradictions in my opinion- and also the leaders of the religion tend to dislike it when you question the Bible.

All I know is, it says God has a plan for everyone on the Earth and knows how their life is going to work out, so what I'd like to know is, if God knows people are going to be gay or bisexual, why is it still viewed as wrong by the Church? Surely if God has planned it for the person, it must be right- according to your own teachings?
I think I'll go to the homosexuality thread with this point now...
FlamingXbaby
Thinking Happy Thoughts
FlamingXbaby
July 21st, 2006 at 11:13pm
I don't think God plans our lives out for us.
I think he might know what's going to happen, but I don't think he controls it.

And I love the point about religious officials. They suck. I prefer people who have a relationship, not a religion.
FlamingXbaby
Thinking Happy Thoughts
FlamingXbaby
July 29th, 2006 at 07:48pm
If people were to follow the biggest thing God wanted us to, a lot of people would hate Christians a lot less.
Just love your neighbors and love God.
That is the only thing in the bible that I really really wish I could force on people.
It would make life a lot more simple. Even if the bible wasn't real, it would make life a lot more fun.
Jake
Joining The Black Parade
Jake
July 31st, 2006 at 02:39pm
I'm a Christian.
I like being a Christian.
If I didn't have God to believe in, I'd probably feel very empty.
Plus it helps to explain why there is a world, and why I'm here, and stuff like that.
I think religion is good.
MistressRhi
Motor Baby
MistressRhi
August 9th, 2006 at 03:15am
I'm a witch so i dont believe in what the "mainstream" (by mainstream i mean christians, anglicans, catholics etc) religions teach. I believe that there is a force out there that all of us are part of and come from, i believe that nature is the most amazing thing and that we really need to take care of the earth because we wont have anywhere else to go. I believe in different goddesses and gods and that there is a living force inside everything, trees, rocks all of it (this part is called Animism) I believe that everyone is entitled to their own opinion as long as they dont force it upon others and that faith is an amazing thing. I respect anyone who has faith or doesnt have faith as long as they respect me.

I really wish there wasnt so much division between all of us in the world, but there is nothing i can do to change it.

phew long winded speech there...hope i didnt bore anyone.
Mud
Really Not Okay
Mud
August 9th, 2006 at 04:28am
I don't mean to sound ignorant, but its really just cos I'm interested. What do you mean by "witch"? Also, how did you get into this way of thinking? Cos, like you said, its not exactly mainstream. Was it something you thought of and then researched further, or something you were told about by others?
Kid__
Always Born a Crime
Kid__
August 9th, 2006 at 08:35am
MistressRhi, are you by any chance Wiccan? It just sounds as though you follow the Pagan beliefs very closely and you refer to yourself as a "witch"...
FlamingXbaby
Thinking Happy Thoughts
FlamingXbaby
August 9th, 2006 at 01:47pm
Catholics... I haven't decided about catholics.

I wish you lived near me. Then you could go to my church.

I went there with band shirts and purple hair and this other kid has a mohawk.

Really, baptism doesn't define rather you're going to heaven or not.

Just whip out that o-so-cliche verse, John 3:16, and you'll see why.

Anyway. The people you go to church/school with remind me of the Pharisee...s? I dunno.
but anyway.
ByeHalyconDays
Bleeding on the Floor
ByeHalyconDays
August 9th, 2006 at 05:06pm
Isn't there a three fold rule for people who use magic(ie witchs)?