Don't have an account? Create one!

Religion

AuthorMessage
*star-crossed lover*
Salute You in Your Grave
*star-crossed lover*
June 25th, 2006 at 05:28am
wow, i don't really know what religion i consider myself. i was raised catholic, actually baptised, communed and confirmed, but i don't agree with everything they preach. i believe in god and i believe in jesus. but i don't agree with things like fearing god and confessing our sins to priest and persecuting gays. i believe that god is a kind and caring person who loves all his children and is understanding. i believe that praying and confessing my sins to god are good enough, i don't need a middle man to tell god what i've done wrong. and since god can see everything and is everywhere confessing to him my sins from the privacy of my own home suits me just fine. i have friends that are gay and bisexual and they are some of the best people in the world. there is no way that they are going to hell. i have an extreme amount of faith and without that i probably would not be alive. these are just my opinions and my beliefs.
Bloodraine
Jazz Hands
Bloodraine
June 25th, 2006 at 06:29am
FlamingXbaby:

But you are telling me that, if an aetheist lives a far more moral life than someone who does believe in God, the believer would go to Heaven and the aetheist would not? I would want to believe in, what I would see as, a more just God than that.

Morally, one sins damns you forever. If I committed one sin, I would be as bad as anyone. (except blasphemers and sexual sins, I've heard). So it doesn't matter HOW moral you are.

Yeah, it isn't fair, by our standards, but I personnally am pretty glad that I don't have to keep all the laws to go to heaven. That would suck.

What about being forgiven for your sins?. I know blasphing the Spirit is an unforgiveable sin, and there are some more, but surely once you're forgiven you're okay?. You know, there are an awful lot of sins, cross dressing is actually a venial sin, accoring to Deuteronomy. (its actually quite amusing really).

But I guess i'm going to hell (if God exists). Oh well, I can burn in hell for not believing in a bigoted, foolish, egotistical God who sees fit to burn people in hell just for not believing. Never mind the fact I might have led a wonderful life, ten times better then some of the dissolute christians in heaven, but oh no, I'm going to be confined to the fiery depths of hell just for not believing. Well, theres religion for you.
rockpapersuzi.
Always Born a Crime
rockpapersuzi.
June 25th, 2006 at 10:05am
FlamingXbaby:

And I hate it when Christians say if you're not a Christian you go to Hell.

Maybe they should, I dunno, READ THE BIBLE!

It never says people who aren't Christians go to Hell.

Actually...it does. u_u
It says blatantly that Jesus is the only way to Heaven and Jesus is the key to Christianity. I don't want to believe that other religions will go to Hell, but the Bible makes it sound that way.
gia
Bleeding on the Floor
gia
June 25th, 2006 at 12:30pm
Suzical the Musical.:
FlamingXbaby:

Actually...it does. u_u
It says blatantly that Jesus is the only way to Heaven and Jesus is the key to Christianity. I don't want to believe that other religions will go to Hell, but the Bible makes it sound that way.

Ahem....no, it doesn't......that is only an interpretation
In the Bible it says that every person will be judged according to their own God and their own religion. It would be absurd to damn someone to eternal suffering in hell just because they were born an raised to believe in a certain god that happens to be different from the christian one.
Bloodraine
Jazz Hands
Bloodraine
June 25th, 2006 at 12:55pm
gia:
Suzical the Musical.:
FlamingXbaby:

Actually...it does. u_u

Ahem....no, it doesn't......that is only an interpretation

"I am the way the truth and the life; No man cometh unto the Father but by me."- John 14:6

Interpret that however way you want, but i'd say the meaning is pretty clear. There isn't anything 'interpretation' can do about it. You ain't getting in to heaven unless you believe in Jesus/God, so she's right.
gia
Bleeding on the Floor
gia
June 25th, 2006 at 01:05pm
Bloodraine:

"I am the way the truth and the life; No man cometh unto the Father but by me."- John 14:6

Interpret that however way you want, but i'd say the meaning is pretty clear. There isn't anything 'interpretation' can do about it. You ain't getting in to heaven unless you believe in Jesus/God, so she's right.

It can be interpreted: In the Bible, Jesus says many times stuff like "I am" but when he does he refers to the new "religion" he brought, one based on love and kindness. So, what he refers to in that quote is that if someone respects the "laws" of Christianity, which are basicly to love the world, to be kind , selfless and so on they will go to Heaven.
Mud
Really Not Okay
Mud
June 25th, 2006 at 01:16pm
I think its also pretty relevant that, despite what the Bible might say, it is written by man and thus can be corrupted. Especially seeing as its a translation.
assiralc talc
Really Not Okay
assiralc talc
June 25th, 2006 at 03:06pm
Danielle Ashley.:
It's ironic how people will swallow anything to become even the tinyest bit like the musician/actor/writer/teacher they idolize. It shows how people are afraid to be themselves, and opt to be more like those who seem successful, even if it means turning your back on something you've grown to depend on, like religion or lack thereof, just to touch that same hint of success.

I disagree, I think you have to explore different ideas before you can realize what your opinions are. This usually happens through the influence of people you respect, so I don't think it's necessarily always a conscious decision to mould your beliefs to fit those of people you admire. For instance, during puberty many people don't have a fixed set of ideas and they find that they're influenced by the ideas of people they respect. Not everyone is as susceptible as you appear to think they are; we don't all think we have to be like our idols to be successful in life. And if our opinions are at all influenced by role models, its subconscious.
assiralc talc
Really Not Okay
assiralc talc
June 25th, 2006 at 04:05pm
Plus, I'm liking the theory about replicating life and making our heaven thing. I've always thought that matter had to go somewhere, why not stay on earth in a different form? Physicists are always saying that energy can never really stop or finish, it just takes different forms. You can't destroy energy, just convert, and I think that works for life too.
FlamingXbaby
Thinking Happy Thoughts
FlamingXbaby
June 26th, 2006 at 12:13am
[quote="gia"]
Bloodraine:

Believing in God doesn't make one a Christian.
Having faith in God doesn't make you a Christian.
It says to get to heaven you must have faith in God, not be a Christian.
rockpapersuzi.
Always Born a Crime
rockpapersuzi.
June 26th, 2006 at 01:14am
^Along with believing in God, you must also believe in the Trinity to get to Heaven according to the Bible...if you're following Christianity, anyhow.

True, believing in God doesn't make you a Christian....but that's because many other religions are monotheistic.
rockpapersuzi.
Always Born a Crime
rockpapersuzi.
June 26th, 2006 at 01:18am
Just a question:

How many of you people have read the Bible yet?
rockpapersuzi.
Always Born a Crime
rockpapersuzi.
June 26th, 2006 at 01:54am
I'm still working on it. It's very tedious reading.
Wow! You got through the whole thing already? That's astounding!
rockpapersuzi.
Always Born a Crime
rockpapersuzi.
June 26th, 2006 at 02:02am
Here's a verse that I looked up that I thought might help our discussion...
Matthew 19:13-22

Now a man came up to Jesus and asked, "Teacher, what good thing must I do to get etrenal life?"
"Why do you ask me about what is good?" Jesus replied. "There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, obey the commandments."
"Which ones?" the man inquired.
*Jesus lists the commandments*
"All these I have kept," the young man said. "What still do I lack?"
Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in Heaven. Then come, follow me."
When the man heard this, he went away sad, for he had great wealth.
matfew churlz sanduz
Shotgun Sinner
matfew churlz sanduz
June 26th, 2006 at 04:41am
Suzical the Musical.:
Just a question:

I have. I'm one of the few I know who have actually read the bible, interpretaed it their own way, and taken a step back to see where it fits in in their lives.
Personally, the bible has no place in my life. But I think I' allowed, as is anyone else, to say this because I actually know what is in that thing and I know I don't agree with it.
Most of the girls in my school [All girls school, I'm not just generalzing] do not have a clue as to what the bible teaches and what it is all about, but go along with it anyway. Because that's how they were brought up...
I don't have any problem with people who believe in Christianity and follow it religiously, that's great. I'm glad you've found something that can truely make you happy. But it really gets me when these other "followers" have not even read the Bible, when I know more about the Bible then they do, yet they just simply follow others.
Choose a religion you are most comfortable with, not the religion your parents or friends are comfortable with. They are not you
amandacatastrophe
Killjoy
amandacatastrophe
June 26th, 2006 at 05:36am
I kinda think I have a sorta weird thought on religion. But I dunno, you all tell me:
I was raised Catholic and went to Catholic school for 4 years. Got pretty much straight A's in religion. I don't go to church really anymore, unless it's a family funeral or something. But, I think that, as long as we pray we are okay. We don't necessaryly have to go to church. Like, I pray, every night. Unless I'm staying at a friends house or a friend stays over because I get side tracked. I do think we should go to confession, and I know I need to. But, I feel like if you just ask God for forgiveness, he will forgive you. Even if you don't go to church and mess up sometimes.

That's my thought. And I could be totally wrong in some peoeple's yes and totally right in other's.
Mud
Really Not Okay
Mud
June 26th, 2006 at 06:58am
Ella falls from grace:
Choose a religion you are most comfortable with, not the religion your parents or friends are comfortable with. They are not you

Exactly. Smile Think whatever feels right to you - whether thats organised religion, aetheism, your own independent belief or acceptance that you haven't a clue.
gia
Bleeding on the Floor
gia
June 26th, 2006 at 07:15am
Suzical the Musical.:
Just a question:

I have, but not all of it. I don't have enough time because, as far as I'm concerned, everything in the Bible is just metaphors and reading every phrase and then trying to disect it takes a lot of time. But I have had religion classes for 12 years, and I even got awards at religion contests, so I think I understand it quite well. I know that in the Bible there are things that don't make any sense, but I must admit that I'm comfortable with most of the things written there. I was born an Orthodox, I'll die an Orthodox.
rockpapersuzi.
Always Born a Crime
rockpapersuzi.
June 26th, 2006 at 10:38am
amandacatastrophe:
I kinda think I have a sorta weird thought on religion. But I dunno, you all tell me:
I was raised Catholic and went to Catholic school for 4 years. Got pretty much straight A's in religion. I don't go to church really anymore, unless it's a family funeral or something. But, I think that, as long as we pray we are okay. We don't necessaryly have to go to church. Like, I pray, every night. Unless I'm staying at a friends house or a friend stays over because I get side tracked. I do think we should go to confession, and I know I need to. But, I feel like if you just ask God for forgiveness, he will forgive you. Even if you don't go to church and mess up sometimes.

That's my thought. And I could be totally wrong in some peoeple's yes and totally right in other's.

Kudos. :]

I think that is excellent. Prayer and the closeness to God is all that really matters in Christianity. There is no need to go to church and make a show of it as some people do. I agree with you completely.
Bloodraine
Jazz Hands
Bloodraine
June 26th, 2006 at 10:58am
Suzical the Musical.:
Just a question:

I have.
Skim read, true, but still.

I actually only began to read the bible after I converted to atheism, so again another reason to disprove atheistic 'ignorance' claims. I wanted to find out for myself what the bible was, not just grow up thinking it was either good (from my christian upbringing) or bad (from my atheist coversion).