Don't have an account? Create one!

Religion

AuthorMessage
DKScully
Joining The Black Parade
DKScully
July 2nd, 2006 at 01:27am
It is believed by Christians (like me) that God inspired these men to write the books of the Bible. All of the Gospels save one were written not too long after Jesus' death and subsequent resurrection. They're pretty reliable sources.

In times like that, there were no printing machines. Everything had to be copied by hand. And, when copying the holy scriptures, if a scribe ever made even the slightest mistake, even if he had been working for hours on a page, and gotten to the bottom of it, and made a mistake, he was required by law to start over.

Did you know that there are more pieces of written evidence to prove that Jesus lived, died, and rose again, than there are that George Washington existed? I doubt neither...but it's still something
Mud
Really Not Okay
Mud
July 2nd, 2006 at 04:37am
DKScully:
It is believed by Christians (like me) that God inspired these men to write the books of the Bible. All of the Gospels save one were written not too long after Jesus' death and subsequent resurrection. They're pretty reliable sources.

In times like that, there were no printing machines. Everything had to be copied by hand. And, when copying the holy scriptures, if a scribe ever made even the slightest mistake, even if he had been working for hours on a page, and gotten to the bottom of it, and made a mistake, he was required by law to start over.

Did you know that there are more pieces of written evidence to prove that Jesus lived, died, and rose again, than there are that George Washington existed? I doubt neither...but it's still something

Who's word have you got for the men being appointed by God other than their own?

Actually, the Bible was only translated from Latin relatively recently. A very long time after Jesus's death, in any case. And at that time, there were printing machines.

Most of the evidence to support Jesus's existence and resurrection is all from one source and . Jesus was a fairly common name at that time, so its not surprising that there was a man named Jesus who lived then or in fact was crucified in the manner explained by the Bible. However, I highly doubt that the evidence for his miracle-work and resurrection is nearly as solid as that for George Washington's existence.
dRowNingInmYsorRowS
Thinking Happy Thoughts
dRowNingInmYsorRowS
July 2nd, 2006 at 03:43pm
--Yara--:
Dujo and I decided that there should only be one religion thread. The INO Chamber one is spammed, so we're starting off on a new page.

How do you feel about religion? Are you religious?

Here are some definitions:

Atheist - One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods.

Agnostic - One who believes that it is impossible to know whether there is a God or not.

Buddhism - The teaching of Buddha that life is permeated with suffering caused by desire, that suffering ceases when desire ceases, and that enlightenment obtained through right conduct, wisdom, and meditation releases one from desire, suffering, and rebirth.

Pagan/Heathen - One who does not believe in the god of an organized religion.

Whoa..I didn't know that being an atheist meant that you didn't believe in any gods.. I've been telling everyone that I'm atheist, but I do believe in something...kind of like that God isn't just one all-powerful guy in a robe, but that God's everywhere and nothing really rules over us..(yeah, I'm going to go to hell; lots of Christians/non-Christians have already told me that)
dRowNingInmYsorRowS
Thinking Happy Thoughts
dRowNingInmYsorRowS
July 2nd, 2006 at 03:49pm
April?!:
I'm not really religious, just because my family never took me to church.
I sometimes believe there is a god, sometimes not =/.
I'm so undecided in this issue.
It really really confuses me.

I think to be really sure if there's a god or not, you have to know the meaning of life. I have like, my own little religion based on my beliefs, and stuff...
assiralc talc
Really Not Okay
assiralc talc
July 2nd, 2006 at 04:04pm
Ella falls from grace:
But what good is he to us when he's dead? How can he help us when he's six feet under?

He is useful as an example of virtue and selflessness. Many people look to him for how to live their lives. He's one of the few surviving examples of self-sacrifice, and that's influencial for many people.

And since everybody's involved in this whole Jesus' sacrifice debate, let me ask you something: God sent Jesus on Earth to sacrifice Him in order for our sins to be forgiven, right? Forgiven by whom? Forgiven by God. So, if He is the one who forgave the sins, why was the sacrifice of His own son necessary?

You confused me, could you explain what you're getting at?

I'd like to know, why only men can become priests and not women?

It depends on the denomination, I think women can become priests in the Anglican Church but not in the Catholic. (I could be wrong...)

And, when copying the holy scriptures, if a scribe ever made even the slightest mistake, even if he had been working for hours on a page, and gotten to the bottom of it, and made a mistake, he was required by law to start over.

I thought that was Judaism? Again, I could be wrong. Could be both. :/
FlamingXbaby
Thinking Happy Thoughts
FlamingXbaby
July 2nd, 2006 at 10:32pm
dRowNingInmYsorRowS:
Whoa..I didn't know that being an atheist meant that you didn't believe in any gods.. I've been telling everyone that I'm atheist, but I do believe in something...kind of like that God isn't just one all-powerful guy in a robe, but that God's everywhere and nothing really rules over us..(yeah, I'm going to go to hell; lots of Christians/non-Christians have already told me that)

Well they're full of crap. No one knows what God is, no one knows what he looks like, no one knows where he is.

He is omnipresent, omnipowerful, and all that jazz.

I'm sorry Christians have been saying that. They give all people who believe God and blah blah blah a bad name. Like I can't say anything without expecting people to not listen because I'm another hypocritical fire and brimstone sunday baptist holier than thou butt hole.

But I believe in God.
I also believe homosexual marriage should be legal.
I believe marijuana should be legalized, and I wouldn't use it.
I love hearing the arguments people have against Christianity, because it means they think and question.
I respect Marilyn Manson's philosophy.

I hate it when people condemn other people.

I just hope they haven't ruined your opinion of all 'Christians' or even the 'christian' philosophy.

PS.

How do you spell philosopy?
dRowNingInmYsorRowS
Thinking Happy Thoughts
dRowNingInmYsorRowS
July 3rd, 2006 at 07:13pm
well, no actually it was kinda like a joke and I didn't realize that people would actually take me seriously about the going to Hell thing, although sometimes I feel like I am going to Hell (I feel really stupid right now) but um thanks..and I have met a lot of nice Christians, and some not so nice ones that believe 'people who believe in other religions other than Christianity, aka 'heathens and savages,' will burn in hellish torment forever'......but it's nice to know some Christians don't believe in that.... oh, and philosophy is spelled just as you spelled it, I think
stormy
Demolition Lover
stormy
July 7th, 2006 at 03:22am
So I figured I'd come back here b/c I was gettin quite 'religion debating' on the homosexuality thread.

I think that organized religions are becoming tainted cults who have lost their place and ways. They're trying to become part of the goverment, trying to make things go their way. Therefore, reverting us back to the old ways. Back to the way the world was before the USA was started and when we delcared that it would be seperate from our goverment. Religion has NO place in goverment. They're becoming more fixated on power and money in the public eye. People are becoming obsessive and narrow minded because of religion. People aren't thinking for themselves so much as they are just accepting at face value without questioning, something that a minister says, a book tells them etc. That's not the way a person should function.

Leaving the church was the best decision I ever made. I don't believe in its ways. Some of them are staying true to their religion, but so many aren't. SO few people question their beliefs and what they're taught.
I think the bible is a bunch of crap. The best fiction work every written really. Its been mistranslated, misinterpretted, used so many times to punish people and start wars. How can people believe and follow such a book that keeps starting wars and fights???

Religion is a personal choice. How can you make a choice if you've never seen what else is out there??? How do you KNOW that you're a Luthern if you've never experienced Buddhism, Methodism, Baptism, Odnist, Wicca, etc...how can you know??? If you've only had vanilla, how do you know tha tyou don't like chocolate more??? How do you know that its your favourite, that its for you, if you've never samped anything else??? and really sampled, not read a pamphlet on it and saw a movie with it in there...

asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
July 14th, 2006 at 05:58am
Firstly, let me say that I am not anti-religion in any way. I have grown up in a household that, whilst we do not go to church every week, has certain ideals that could be considered religious. I was also christened when I was born, & go to an extremely religious school, so I guess I can be considered to be a religious person.
Lately though, whatever faith I had has rapidly decreased. I think that religion causes so much conflict in the world, and I do not see how people can consider themselves to be better than others based on the religion that they choose to follow.
I don’t understand how people can put their faith in something that they don’t even know what it is, & I do not understand at all how people can believe that praying can fix all their problems, it won’t.
Like just the other day, I was having this conversation with a friend of mine. He works at a take-away shop, & every couple of days a guy who obviously has a hard life buys $3 worth of chips, which he struggles to pay for. The other day my friend noticed that he had a ‘WWJD’ wristband on, & a cross around his neck, he asked the guy if he was religious & he replied that he was a christian. This guys christian beliefs have clearly let him down, no amount of praying has been able to save him from being (presumably) homeless, and he still has a tough life.
No amount of praying and reading the bible will make peoples lives perfect.
No amount of praying and reading the bible will make peoples past pain go away.

cocaine.
Shotgun Sinner
cocaine.
July 14th, 2006 at 07:31am
Behind My Crimson Eyes:
Firstly, let me say that I am not anti-religion in any way. I have grown up in a household that, whilst we do not go to church every week, has certain ideals that could be considered religious. I was also christened when I was born, & go to an extremely religious school, so I guess I can be considered to be a religious person.
Lately though, whatever faith I had has rapidly decreased. I think that religion causes so much conflict in the world, and I do not see how people can consider themselves to be better than others based on the religion that they choose to follow.
I don’t understand how people can put their faith in something that they don’t even know what it is, & I do not understand at all how people can believe that praying can fix all their problems, it won’t.
Like just the other day, I was having this conversation with a friend of mine. He works at a take-away shop, & every couple of days a guy who obviously has a hard life buys $3 worth of chips, which he struggles to pay for. The other day my friend noticed that he had a ‘WWJD’ wristband on, & a cross around his neck, he asked the guy if he was religious & he replied that he was a christian. This guys christian beliefs have clearly let him down, no amount of praying has been able to save him from being (presumably) homeless, and he still has a tough life.

That was very well said, Asha. It puts a lot into perspective, but I have something to say as well.

I agree with her, and I'm not religious in any way at all, so maybe this will be a bit biased, I'm not sure.
Praying to someone that doesn't exist won't help, but if they think it will, let them. It's not going to hurt anyone, and it certainly won't hurt us non-believers.
matfew churlz sanduz
Shotgun Sinner
matfew churlz sanduz
July 14th, 2006 at 07:38am
Scout, we're goin' down;:

That was very well said, Asha. It puts a lot into perspective, but I have something to say as well.

I agree with her, and I'm not religious in any way at all, so maybe this will be a bit biased, I'm not sure.
Praying to someone that doesn't exist won't help, but if they think it will, let them. It's not going to hurt anyone, and it certainly won't hurt us non-believers.

Whilst I do personally agree with that,
The power of the mind is amazing.
It was once said;
"It is scientifically proven that Prayer can cure diseases."

Religious people are always throwing that at "non-believers"
But there really is no truth in that statement.
While this seems to be the case, it is not Prayer that cures diseases but The power of the mind

The mind is an amazing tool, and one must never forget that.
So to say that praying to a god once a week to get a persons love
or
The newest music device does not mean it will happen.
If you believe certain things will happen, be they good or bad, most likely, they do end up happening.
FlamingXbaby
Thinking Happy Thoughts
FlamingXbaby
July 15th, 2006 at 02:41pm
Behind My Crimson Eyes:

We have faith in something that we don't know because that's what faith is. A large part of 'religion' is faith, and that's what turns people off. They want certainty.

And I'm glad you see the truth about faith won't fix your problems. God never says you'll be okay.

One day, something so bad will happen to you that you will die.

And prayer only helps sometimes.

Go figure.
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
July 16th, 2006 at 03:18am
FlamingXbaby:
We have faith in something that we don't know because that's what faith is. A large part of 'religion' is faith, and that's what turns people off. They want certainty.

And I'm glad you see the truth about faith won't fix your problems. God never says you'll be okay.

One day, something so bad will happen to you that you will die.

And prayer only helps sometimes.

Go figure.

Isn't having faith in something that may not even exist only setting people up to be let down?
Sure, it may help some people to believe that God is there for them, but what about other people who turn to God, who is pretty much meant to be a supreme being, only to be let down?

If there are no guarantees on such things, why does religion get taught in schools?
Isn't the purpose of schools to educate us?
If they teach us about religion (and basically force us to be christian, that's what happens in my school anyway), aren't they also setting us up to be let down?

I just don't understand how people who dedicate their lives to following a God can be let down so badly.
They have obviously made a choice to follow a certain religion in the hope that it will bring them a life of peace & prosperity, but some of them get let down so badly, like the guy in my previous post.
Kid__
Always Born a Crime
Kid__
July 16th, 2006 at 05:51am
Behind My Crimson Eyes:
Isn't having faith in something that may not even exist only setting people up to be let down?

Yep, basically.
Sure, it may help some people to believe that God is there for them, but what about other people who turn to God, who is pretty much meant to be a supreme being, only to be let down?

It's awful when that happens because then you think you've done something wrong or God hates you for some reason and you could end up spending houors of your time trying to work out why God hates you.
If there are no guarantees on such things, why does religion get taught in schools?
Isn't the purpose of schools to educate us?
If they teach us about religion (and basically force us to be christian, that's what happens in my school anyway), aren't they also setting us up to be let down?

They teach religion, but in the UK it's based mainly around Christianity with some Judaism and Muslim thrown in.
Why not offer choice on which religion you want to study? Or better still, teach about many other religions so that people understand them, because it's only fear of the unknown that makes people hate some religions.
Also, why can Muslim, Buddhist (sp?), Catholic, etc, kids be excused from RE in my school, but yet I can't, even though I'm not at all Christian?[/quote]
Antichrist Superstar
Bleeding on the Floor
Antichrist Superstar
July 16th, 2006 at 08:16pm
okay.
forget what i said before
i have the right to change my mind

i belive in god.
i was figthing to not belive becuase the boy i love didnt. i wanted to be just like him.

i need god right now.
im not a christain.

but i belive in god.
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
July 16th, 2006 at 08:43pm
Starr:

They teach religion, but in the UK it's based mainly around Christianity with some Judaism and Muslim thrown in.
Why not offer choice on which religion you want to study? Or better still, teach about many other religions so that people understand them, because it's only fear of the unknown that makes people hate some religions.
Also, why can Muslim, Buddhist (sp?), Catholic, etc, kids be excused from RE in my school, but yet I can't, even though I'm not at all Christian?

At my school, Religious Education is compulsory up until year 10.
In year 11 & 12 they basically force people to do Studies of Religion, which is more like what you are saying. But what about if people don't want to learn about any religions?
I didn't, & the only way that I could get out of studies of religion was to pay I think it was $60-$70 a term to be accepted into a Textiles & Design course by distance education.
Surely, if a person doesn't want to learn about religion, they shouldn't have to.
It is a personal choice, and people shouldn't be able to force their beliefs onto other people.
Mary; Without Sound
Salute You in Your Grave
Mary; Without Sound
July 16th, 2006 at 10:16pm
I’m a christen and I’m proud. And it not because I when to catholic school for 10 years and they “brain washed me”. It because It’s a personal chose, my grandma is the one who taught me all about god and when my life get tough I turn to God. I believe that whatever the devil takes from you god will give back. I take peace in knowing that at the end of each day my heart lays with God. I just can image my life with God in it.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. Jeremiah 29:11-13
FlamingXbaby
Thinking Happy Thoughts
FlamingXbaby
July 16th, 2006 at 11:16pm
That verse, my friend, was directed toward the nation of Isreal. It means he will never destroy it completely. It was for that nation, specifically. The one he sent somewhere else.

The ones who didn't leave, however, got this speech: 15 You may say, "The LORD has raised up prophets for us in Babylon," 16 but this is what the LORD says about the king who sits on David's throne and all the people who remain in this city, your countrymen who did not go with you into exile- 17 yes, this is what the LORD Almighty says: "I will send the sword, famine and plague against them and I will make them like poor figs that are so bad they cannot be eaten. 18 I will pursue them with the sword, famine and plague and will make them abhorrent to all the kingdoms of the earth and an object of cursing and horror, of scorn and reproach, among all the nations where I drive them. 19 For they have not listened to my words," declares the LORD, "words that I sent to them again and again by my servants the prophets. And you exiles have not listened either," declares the LORD.

20 Therefore, hear the word of the LORD, all you exiles whom I have sent away from Jerusalem to Babylon. 21 This is what the LORD Almighty, the God of Israel, says about Ahab son of Kolaiah and Zedekiah son of Maaseiah, who are prophesying lies to you in my name: "I will hand them over to Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon, and he will put them to death before your very eyes. 22 Because of them, all the exiles from Judah who are in Babylon will use this curse: 'The LORD treat you like Zedekiah and Ahab, whom the king of Babylon burned in the fire.' 23 For they have done outrageous things in Israel; they have committed adultery with their neighbors' wives and in my name have spoken lies, which I did not tell them to do. I know it and am a witness to it," declares the LORD.

Jeremiah 29:15-23.

God never says he won't hurt us. God wipes out entire civilizations. God orders men, women, children, horses, all to be slaughtered.

But still, I believe he's God and all that jazz.
Ohno_notAmy
Jazz Hands
Ohno_notAmy
July 19th, 2006 at 11:36am
Behind My Crimson Eyes:

At my school, Religious Education is compulsory up until year 10.
In year 11 & 12 they basically force people to do Studies of Religion, which is more like what you are saying. But what about if people don't want to learn about any religions?
I didn't, & the only way that I could get out of studies of religion was to pay I think it was $60-$70 a term to be accepted into a Textiles & Design course by distance education.
Surely, if a person doesn't want to learn about religion, they shouldn't have to.
It is a personal choice, and people shouldn't be able to force their beliefs onto other people.

What kind of school do you go to?
Because that's just sick, it really is.
Good job you didn't go, I would've been so mad that I had to get my mom to pay 60, 70 bucks, there was no reason for you to have to pay just bedcause you didn't want to learn about any religions.
Kid__
Always Born a Crime
Kid__
July 19th, 2006 at 03:31pm
Behind My Crimson Eyes:

But what about if people don't want to learn about any religions?

*nods*
Most definately. It's stupid the way that schools expect majority of the kids to be from good Christian homes. I mean, most of the Christians in my classes know less about their religion than I do because they don't take the time to try to understand what it means, they just follow it literally. And that's quite sad.
But on the other hand, they also don't take the time to try to understand my religion. They just automatically assume that it's all to do with devil worship and killing things, which Wiccan most certainly isn't.
Religion is such a beautiful and personal thing and you should be allowed to have your own thoughts on it, without having someone dictate what you must think.