Don't have an account? Create one!

Religion

AuthorMessage
kids
Salute You in Your Grave
kids
June 2nd, 2006 at 11:53pm
Okay I don't get how people can classify themselves as something like this.
I'm not saying it's wrong, I mean, I would love to be able to.
But it just freaks me out how you do it.
Eh, I don't know a thing about religion, for the most part, anyway.
Kid__
Always Born a Crime
Kid__
June 3rd, 2006 at 07:35am
I'm Wiccan. My parents tried to bring me up as a Christian, but I don't see why I should "be" a religion that I don't agree with completely.

The main things about Pagnism are:
Nature - Recognising the divine in nature is at the center of Pagan belief. They are deeply aware of the natural world and see the power of the divine in the ongoing cycle of life and death.
Concepts of the divine - Pagans worship the divine in many different forms, through feminine as well as masculine imagery and also as without gender. Paganism strongly emphasises equality of the sexes.
Pagan theology - Paganism is not based on doctrine. Pagan theology is based primarily on experience, with the aim of Pagan ritual being to make contact with the divine in the world.
The Elements - The Elements of Earth, Fire, Water and Wind are always acknowledged and bid welcome.

Satanism: 666 is only stereotypically Satanic and evil is not Satanic. Satanists are so called because they are the opposte to Christians. They believe that there is no higher being and everyone is responsible for their own actions. They say Jesus, if he was a prophet, should be respected but he is only a man and should therefore not be worshipped. They are closely linked to Paganism and respect the Earth and evolution, so therefore would not hurt any sort of animal, nevermind sacrifice it.

Hypocrisy: People say Christians need to accept their religion, but it works the other way around too. Don't get me wrong, don't say I'm jumping to the Christians' defence. I'm not. I'm just saying. Things work more than way. I think it's wrong how some people interpret religious teachings in the wrong way and do things that are completely against them, but claim to have done it for the religion.

"Borrowing": The Christian Church "borrowed" certain aspects from Paganism. But do you know why? To convert more people. If there's some things in a religion you recognise and believe, aren't you more likely to follow it?

The good points are that religion is there for you, to make you feel better in times of need or trouble.
Religion and faith go together. Without religion we would have nothing to put our faith in. Without anything to put our faith in, we wouldn't know how to live our lives.
I think everyone has to find their own way in life and religion is there to help you along that path.

Sorry about how long it was Embarassed
cocaine.
Shotgun Sinner
cocaine.
June 3rd, 2006 at 07:49am
I don't have a religion.
I don't believe in God.
I don't believe in Jesus.
I don't believe in anything like that.

But I do believe in angels, for some odd reason.
antennas to heaven.
Banned
antennas to heaven.
June 3rd, 2006 at 10:28am
I'm a Roman Catholic, and so are the rest of my family. But I don't believe in God and all that. I don't really know what I believe, but its definately not a religion or anything with a God.
I think the Big Bang & all that makes much more sense to me.
Bloodraine
Jazz Hands
Bloodraine
June 3rd, 2006 at 10:49am
Scout for President.:

See, thats a thing.
Whereas I may be atheist, I believe Jesus did exist.

Its hardly inconcieveable, is it, a wandering preacher from Nazareth living 2,00 years ago. I don't believe he performed miracles. But I do believe he existed.
gia
Bleeding on the Floor
gia
June 3rd, 2006 at 11:15am
I was born and raised Ortodox (Christianity is divided into Catholics and Ortodocs), like my entire family, so I do believe in God, I do pray and sometimes go to church. I do believe in some of the things I've read in the Bible, but I think that some of the things written there were a bit exaggerated and some don't make any sense. I believe that God is love, kindness, tolerance and not a superior being who's just waiting for us to make mistakes and to punish us for everything.

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, all the gods in any religion of the world (at least the monotheist ones) are, in fact, the same, unique God, but looked at from different point of views. There are just too many similarities between them.
Bloodraine
Jazz Hands
Bloodraine
June 3rd, 2006 at 11:25am
gia:
I was born and raised Ortodox (Christianity is divided into Catholics and Ortodocs), like my entire family, so I do believe in God, I do pray and sometimes go to church. I do believe in some of the things I've read in the Bible, but I think that some of the things written there were a bit exaggerated and some don't make any sense. I believe that God is love, kindness, tolerance and not a superior being who's just waiting for us to make mistakes and to punish us for everything.

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, all the gods in any religion of the world (at least the monotheist ones) are, in fact, the same, unique God, but looked at from different point of views. There are just too many similarities between them.

Orthodox is a type of Catholicism.
You have the RC's (Roman Catholics, which is the largest christian Church in the world), and the Orthodox (or Eastern Orthodox Church, which is centred around Eastern europe). Orthodox is the second largest. There are many more branches of Catholicism alone, Anglicans for example.

Then you have the protestants. Christinaity is a huge religion, there are many different denominations.
Yara; wtf...
Shotgun Sinner
Yara; wtf...
June 3rd, 2006 at 01:40pm
Bloodraine:
Scout for President.:

See, thats a thing.
Whereas I may be atheist, I believe Jesus did exist.

Its hardly inconcieveable, is it, a wandering preacher from Nazareth living 2,00 years ago. I don't believe he performed miracles. But I do believe he existed.

jhksgfjksg

I don't think I could agree with you more. It grinds my gears when people who don't believe in the christian god, deny jesus.

It is proven that there was a man named Jesus 2000 years ago.
Did he perform miracles? Probably not.
dee dee ramone.
Always Born a Crime
dee dee ramone.
June 3rd, 2006 at 02:17pm
I'm an atheist. My mom and dad are Roman Catholic, but they don't do religious stuff.

Venom__:

Satanism: 666 is only stereotypically Satanic and evil is not Satanic. Satanists are so called because they are the opposte to Christians. They believe that there is no higher being and everyone is responsible for their own actions. They say Jesus, if he was a prophet, should be respected but he is only a man and should therefore not be worshipped.

Uhm..if that's true then i guess I'm Satanic?

I don't know. Religion is a little confusing to me at times.
Antichrist Superstar
Bleeding on the Floor
Antichrist Superstar
June 3rd, 2006 at 02:32pm
Yara:

jhksgfjksg

I don't think I could agree with you more. It grinds my gears when people who don't believe in the christian god, deny jesus.

It is proven that there was a man named Jesus 2000 years ago.
Did he perform miracles? Probably not.

yes
i TOATTLY aggree
Eiri;
Shotgun Sinner
Eiri;
June 3rd, 2006 at 03:09pm
well.....i don't know much about religion so bear with me....i'm still young and have alot to learn

supposedly we are supposed to be catholics. i was baptized and all but my parents never took me to church. they never did anything like that.

i believe in god and jesus. but i like to believe in my own things. i don't like how the church basically tell us what to believe.

i reallly dont care about religion. if you want to be a certain religion then by all means go ahead, just don't get me to convert into it. i hate that. i dont like people tellin me i should be this or that. yea, we could have a discussion on it, but dont tell me to convert. if i like it and want to see what it is all about then ok. hope you get my meaning

bumper sticker : God doesn't put people into groups, only religion

those are my little thoughts. dont hurt me
Yara; wtf...
Shotgun Sinner
Yara; wtf...
June 3rd, 2006 at 03:44pm
Maybe I should've specified that this is a thread for serious discussions about acknowledged religions.
You can't make up a religion and then say that's what you believe in.
Please keep this thread (and board) calm and mature.
I can't have people running around talking about "The dust bunny religion", or "The cult of Gerard Way Followers", or "The divine church of Mikey".

If you want to talk about those, take it to the INO chamber where you can play around and spam as much as you want.
the original JULES
Demolition Lover
the original JULES
June 5th, 2006 at 04:37am
I'd really like to know if there are any Buddhists/Hinduists on this board...
gia
Bleeding on the Floor
gia
June 5th, 2006 at 10:02am
Bloodraine:
You have the RC's (Roman Catholics, which is the largest christian Church in the world), and the Orthodox (or Eastern Orthodox Church, which is centred around Eastern europe). Orthodox is the second largest. There are many more branches of Catholicism alone, Anglicans for example.

Then you have the protestants. Christinaity is a huge religion, there are many different denominations.

So, first of all, Ortodox is not a type of Catholicism. In 1504, Christianity was divided into 2: Ortodoxism and Catholicism, which later developed into Roman Catholicism and the Greek Catholicism (or whatever it's called in English). That's it.
Everything else, for example Protestants, Anglicans, Presbiteriens, Mormons and so on (sorry , I don't know how the other ones are called in English) are considered sects by both the Ortodox and Catholic churches and not considered Christian by neither the Pope, nor the Patriarhs.
Bloodraine
Jazz Hands
Bloodraine
June 6th, 2006 at 11:21am
gia:
Bloodraine:

So, first of all, Ortodox is not a type of Catholicism. In 1504, Christianity was divided into 2: Ortodoxism and Catholicism, which later developed into Roman Catholicism and the Greek Catholicism (or whatever it's called in English). That's it.
Everything else, for example Protestants, Anglicans, Presbiteriens, Mormons and so on (sorry , I don't know how the other ones are called in English) are considered sects by both the Ortodox and Catholic churches and not considered Christian by neither the Pope, nor the Patriarhs.

Orthodox.

There are other types of Christians than Orthodox and Catholics. Over 1,000 in north america alone. You can read up on them here if you want to learn more about them. Protestants, you're wrong, they are Christians. They are one of three major branches of Christianity, go Here, here or again on that link above, it will show you the other types of Christians.

Just because protestants don't accept the Authority of the pope (lets face it, they have every right not to be governed by an old man in an office in Rome), the pope does not consider them Christians. But, the pope is just a man, nothing more. What right does he have?. Nil.
Leonardo DiCaprio
Crash Queen
Leonardo DiCaprio
June 6th, 2006 at 02:25pm
I Have 2 friends that are wiccans.
what religion would they be? wicca?
Yara; wtf...
Shotgun Sinner
Yara; wtf...
June 6th, 2006 at 02:28pm
Cut My Wrists:
I Have 2 friends that are wiccans.
what religion would they be? wicca?

Yes. Wicca.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wicca
Nikki.
Awake and Unafraid
Nikki.
June 6th, 2006 at 02:36pm
I'm confused as to what religion I am.

I don't believe in God.

I believe in karma, and reincarnation though.
Yara; wtf...
Shotgun Sinner
Yara; wtf...
June 6th, 2006 at 02:39pm
You don't HAVE to be part of a religion, you have to remember that people.
Scarecrow
Fabulous Killjoy
Scarecrow
June 6th, 2006 at 03:04pm
i'm supposed to be a catholic
but im an atheist & so is my dad
ive never believed in a god
i respect people from diff religions but personally i think religions are stupid
some people at school think im a satanist because i dont believe in a god and its really annoying