Don't have an account? Create one!

Eating Disorders and Weight Loss/Gain

AuthorMessage
aliss practice.
Shotgun Sinner
aliss practice.
February 17th, 2007 at 08:41pm

Whats gets me is that some teenage girls actually want to be deathly skinny. Yes, I know it’s nice to have a flat stomach, but people like that take it too far. I read an article in a newspaper a few weeks back, I think it was about Kiera Knightley or someone, and it was all based on how celebrities are the face of the Pro-Ana phase. Pro-Ana standing for Pro [good] Anorexia. There were girls on this website with usernames like; dying2bthin and Pro-Ana rawks. It truly disgusts me that people want to give up, in my opinion, the best thing on earth, and that’s food, just to fit in. Adolescent girls need to eat healthily and exercise, without taking it to far. I am the form rep in my class at school and me and my friend Joel had to conduct a survey saying whether boys liked either; Fat girls, Skinny girls, or healthy girls. 15 boys, 13 said Healthy Girls.

So if you think that Pro-Ana is cool.

Don’t get help
Get some damn common sense

xMari_Malicex
Motor Baby
xMari_Malicex
February 17th, 2007 at 11:25pm
No, you need help if you think pro-ana is cool. O_o You've already adopted the wrong mindset by thinking it's cool, so you'd need help.
purveyors of dreams.
Salute You in Your Grave
purveyors of dreams.
February 18th, 2007 at 04:04am
What do you think is a good way to lose weight?
Eating in moderation and getting enough exercise and sleep would be the best way to maintain/achieve a healthy weight.

Do you think it's bad for young kids to go on diets?
It really depends on how young the kid is and the kid's weight. Some special diets are also essential to help some kids become healthier. Then there are the more ridiculous diets which will cause more harm in the long run.

Why do people get eating disorders?
Personally, I feel the majority of people with EDs usually have been strongly influence by society's appearance, peer pressure the media or maybe just that reputation/appearance they are dying to achieve. I have heard of some cases where the person just has a mental disability of self-perception, where no matter how hard she tried she just couldn't convince herself that she was of healthy weight already.
aliss practice.
Shotgun Sinner
aliss practice.
February 18th, 2007 at 09:31am
xMari_Malicex:
No, you need help if you think pro-ana is cool. O_o You've already adopted the wrong mindset by thinking it's cool, so you'd need help.

I think you may need to read my last post again, I was saying that Pro-Ana is not, I repeat, not cool. I am totally against forcing size-zero and skinny images upon young people such as myself. Wanting to look like half of my former self is something I am not okay with.

xMari_Malicex
Motor Baby
xMari_Malicex
February 18th, 2007 at 12:28pm
I think you may need to read my last post again, I was saying that Pro-Ana is not, I repeat, not cool. I am totally against forcing size-zero and skinny images upon young people such as myself. Wanting to look like half of my former self is something I am not okay with.
-------
And I think you've misunderstood what I said. xD I wasn't talking about YOU personally, but using YOU as a general statement. Sorry for not being more clear.
aliss practice.
Shotgun Sinner
aliss practice.
February 18th, 2007 at 01:40pm

Oh sorry, I guess I got your drift wrong. Sorry ‘bout that!

like swift.
Motor Baby
like swift.
February 18th, 2007 at 01:53pm
when he dumped me, I stopped eating...
I used to promise myself I'd never ever stop eating
and when I met my best friend jenny, I told her that if I ever skipped lunch, than something was seriously wrong.

But, when he dumped me, I just couldn't bear facing him again
so I skipped lunch to avoid running into him in the lunchroom

that was all it was at first....skip lunch, no big deal. I'll eat a big breakfeast and a big dinner.

and then I started fighting with my mom. and it was hell to sit with her at dinner time. She'd always wanna talk about things, and I just wasn't in the mood.
so I stopped eating dinner.

then one day, I was getting into my favorite jeans that my aunt gave me 2 years back...it was really werid because in my mind I was saying "Lesa, you got these centuries ago, there's no way you'll fit into them...which sux b/c you LOVE these jeans"
and then I looked down, and the jeans fit perfectly...it scared me at first, but then I was like...maybe this isn't such a bad idea

so I just stopped eating altogether
I remember my friends made a really big deal out of it, because we used to joke about all the girls in our class who had or would have an eating disorder, and how stupid they were
and then I stopped eating, and they stopped joking
they stopped talking to me
and that just made things worse

and then one day I was watching "Devil Wears Prada" with my best friend Livi[[who still talked to me then]] and there was this scence where it mentions an eating disorder..and I broke down

that was the end of it. I started eating again

and now I have to work on gaining back my friendships....
so yeah, that's muh story XD
IXPROMISE
Jazz Hands
IXPROMISE
February 19th, 2007 at 11:25am
thats really sad i hope things get better for you
stuupid like a fox
Bleeding on the Floor
stuupid like a fox
February 19th, 2007 at 03:14pm
did it take long for you to start eating normal again
bc wen my sister broke up with her boyfriend she was so devastated that she couldnt look at food without spewing.
it took her a year to get over him bc we took her on vacation and stuff like that bc this was serious and she needed to take her mind off him
and it took her like another 5 to 6 months to eating normal again
but i hope you it all goes up hill for you

this is a problem that no one cares about
some one needs to do something
and it doesnt help that all these stars that people look up to are doing the same thing and being praised for losing all the weight
xxkatiexx
Killjoy
xxkatiexx
February 21st, 2007 at 06:17am
I'm a skinny cow...I eat like a pig though...dunno really coz i don't really worry about my weight...I should gain a pound or two...
but I think its mad when people with perfect figure start eating dust and nothing else...all this size 0 rubbish...I read an article about a women who shrunk to a size 0...she had professonals helping her but she ended up in hospital and severe depression...NOOO DON'T DO IT EAT DUST...NOT GOOD...EAT HEALTHY...NO DUST...
sinking feeling
Thinking Happy Thoughts
sinking feeling
February 21st, 2007 at 08:27pm
you see tooth picks and litterally skelotons EVERYWHERE! its on tabloids, in the news and on the internet... you cant avoid it. this person weighs this much and this person weighs a whole TEN pounds more!!!! ITS SOOO DUMB... i dont care how much you weigh...at all.
SINATRA
Bleeding on the Floor
SINATRA
February 22nd, 2007 at 04:06am
i have my moments like every other girl. some days i think my body is fine the way it is, but other days, i feel gross. it's something i have always struggled with. i suffered from an eating disorder for 5 years, and i will NEVER go back again. i was unhappy, i had a difficult time doing things because i was so ill, and i was suicidal. at least i have realized that i can be happier just loving myself as opposed to putting my health in danger in order to love what i'm not.
jayness1990
Joining The Black Parade
jayness1990
February 22nd, 2007 at 07:51am
Okay Im know im not thin, To me im a f***ing fat b*****d, I hate what I look like. I need to loose weight. Everyone where I work at the Nursery are on Weight Watchers diets Im 16 so im not quite old enough to join that. If i have spare money i would spend it on food just for the pure hell of it. If theres food in ill eat it just for the hell of it . Okay Im not clinically obese but im fat and i cant take it.
PunkerThanThou
Thinking Happy Thoughts
PunkerThanThou
February 22nd, 2007 at 10:19am
I'm not anorexic, though I've dropped about 10 pounds in 3 months, I've been wicked depressed- I don't force myself not to eat, I just don't get hungry- my metabolism is way too fast for much food. I don't think I'm fat, and I seriously think girls need a wake up call concerning their image.
Schrei
Motor Baby
Schrei
February 22nd, 2007 at 07:00pm
i need your guyses advice. my best friend who is totally amazing is in great shape. i mean shes got muscle looks great in a bikini and is not happy. She wants to lose 5 lbs. CRAZY! anyway she wont belive me when i tell her she doesnt need to lose wieght, so is there anyway i can make her think shes losing weight or make her lose weigh really slowly. like some stupid set diet that looks like a diet but takes a really long time to work? please!!! i cant convince her to eat!!
my chemical reaction
Fabulous Killjoy
my chemical reaction
February 22nd, 2007 at 08:21pm
im fat iv come to terms with that i try but nothing works sooo. ..... meh
echo lawrence.
Jazz Hands
echo lawrence.
February 24th, 2007 at 05:57pm
Not to be obvious, but eat right and exercise.
I think the only diet should be balanced and healthy with the right amount of exercise. Love the body you're in if you can't change it through that. There's no reason to hurt yourself.
Because society's pressure for them to be thin is overwhelming. Look at Tyra Banks-- SHE IS BEAUTIFUL, and THIN. She gained a couple pounds and suddenly people think she's huge. That's warped.
How do we help people with eating disorders?
The only real thing to do is to talk to them, sit dowwn and spill your guts. If they don't listen, tell someone they WILL listen to--their parents, or a better friend.
chillpill
Always Born a Crime
chillpill
February 26th, 2007 at 03:55pm

When people say that the media is "brainwashing" people, they aren't lying.
If you just look at the air-brushed toothpicks on the magazines that all these pre-teens/teenagers are looking at, it's hard not to understand why they want to be like that.
Because all these girls (& sometimes even boys) believe that what's on those covers of those magazines is "perfect".

Even though we deny it sometimes, all of us have a yearning to be "perfect". Not always phsyically, but emotionally, socially, & mentally too.
eMO!
Fabulous Killjoy
eMO!
March 3rd, 2007 at 08:09pm
To exercise (after consulting some kind of professional, like a doctor/gym teacher/team coach, someone who knows what they're talking about, so you don't over do it) and eat healthy food, with small meals throughout the day. The same things don't work for everyone, though.

Only if their weight endangers their life. Little fifth grade girls poking their flat stomachs and going "I want to look like the girls on America's Next Top Model" shouldn't be dieting.

Maybe because they have low self-esteem and want to be able to know that they have control of something in their life, but I don't really know. I don't think you choose to have one, though.

How do we help people with eating disorders?
Talk to them, be honest if you really think they have a problem, and try to find them some kind of help/intervention as early as possible.

Has anyone here ever read the book "Thinner Than Thou"?
mcr_lover_duvna
Killjoy
mcr_lover_duvna
March 3rd, 2007 at 10:14pm
Ive had a lot of problems lately with weight loss and weight gain.

Last year I was about 90kg (198 pounds). Then I just stopped eating, I forced myself to be sick a couple of times, it wasnt a regular thing and I dropped 15kg (33 pounds) in 5 weeks. I have a lot of trouble forcing myself to eat even still and I often skip meals in an attempt to get this 'perfect' body image.

My mum started threatening me with doctors and my friends were constantly talking to me about it and trying to make me eat at lunch and stuff. Ive only just started to eat properly again but its a lot harder on my body to start eating again and I have a couple of health problems because of what I did.

Its really not worth it and these pictures in magazines and on tv arent perfect and most of them are dangerously underweight. My problems started because I had extreamly low self-esteem but its my friends who have helped me through it.