Don't have an account? Create one!

Eating Disorders and Weight Loss/Gain

AuthorMessage
dinosore.
Bleeding on the Floor
dinosore.
August 6th, 2007 at 05:27pm
Media really plays a big role in this. If magazines and television and whatnot show too skinny actresses or models, girls will think that is what is considered "beautiful" and "attractive". We've become so accustomed to seeing stick thin celebs that if we see one with slight curves, we jump all over her.

In one magazines someone wrote in and said that it was pretty to see girls ribs. Media has presured so many people. Me, for instance. I started starving myself and I can see almost every bone in my body, I have bags under my eyes, and I'm always tired. Trust me, that is not attractive.
The Rumor
Awake and Unafraid
The Rumor
August 6th, 2007 at 10:13pm
Yeah. You say it isn't attractive, so obviously media hasn't convinced you that it is.

I don't think media plays nearly as big of a role in this as many people say. It's also down the person susceptability to mental disorders/eating disorders, their environment and their hormones. Sure, eating disorders are terrible and common things, but there are still tons of girls who don't get ED's as well.
Ballroom Blitz
Bleeding on the Floor
Ballroom Blitz
August 6th, 2007 at 11:04pm
i wish people would stop using the media as a scapegoat.
you buy the media, you watch the media.
nobody is forcing you to listen to them.
dinosore.
Bleeding on the Floor
dinosore.
August 7th, 2007 at 05:20pm
^^agreed. but people still end up deeing it. anywhere you can find ads or pictures that can plant bad iseas in your head. media sdoes play a big role, but also peer pressure and career can. ex. a lot of dancers end up geting an eating disorder because they have to be a certain weight, and also some people notice that if their friends are skinnier than they arem they look fatter. or maybe their friends talked them into losing wieght. or other people did. there are many reasons, media just seems to be the most obvious one.
AmberHurley
Fabulous Killjoy
AmberHurley
August 7th, 2007 at 05:57pm
if kids are super unhealthy then they definitly should start eating healthier... they dont have to go on a diet
desert skies.
Shotgun Sinner
desert skies.
September 1st, 2007 at 05:55am
Now I had to do a quick speech on thsi topic.
I think that it is really bad when young children go on diets. Well at least if they don't need too. And even if children are over weight I think they should just eat healthy foods and exercise more. I really feel thats the only good way to lose weight.
And I think that the reason people start to gain a eating disorder is because they feel they have lost control in their lives and they feel that their weight is the only thing they have control over. I also blame the media.
x_iheartmcr_x
Killjoy
x_iheartmcr_x
September 1st, 2007 at 05:14pm
I think if kids REALLY need to loose it for health problems, they should exercise and watch what they eat. I'm a recovering anorexic and I'm still getting help physically and mentally.

btw, here's a quote that Gerard Way is sending to young girls who think they're fat:

"Hey girls, you're beautiful. Don't look at those stupid magazines with sticklike models. Eat healthy and exercise. That's all. Don't let anyone tell you you're not good enough. You are good enough, you are too good. Love your family with all your heart and listen to it. You are gorgeous, whether you're a size 3 or a size 14. It dosen't matter what you look like on the outside, as long as you're a good person, as long as you respect others. I know it's been told hundreds of times before, but it's true. Hey girls, you are beautiful."
Rhys Webb
Awake and Unafraid
Rhys Webb
September 1st, 2007 at 06:42pm
the media is definitely one of the biggest contributors to this day for the reason why kids (especially girls) are crash dieting and becoming bulimic. i think it is sad, because i am even seing it with my twelve year old sister, who is dying to lose weight... even though she looks completely fine. the other night i was watching Britian's Next Top Model on VH1, and it amazed me with ow much healthier their models look, compared to american ones. i really think that if so many actresses and models weren't so thin and giving off the impression that you need to be thin... then it wouldn;t be this way. but afterall, it goes back to the 80's because Karen Carptener died of anorexia, that no one knew about.

in the back of my mind i think matthew bellamy had a weight problem back in 2001... but that is just a different story...

to me it shouldn't matter what you look like, because to me? anorexia just makes you look sickly, it doesnt make you look beautiful.
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
September 1st, 2007 at 07:59pm
I've noticed another thing about this subject, in yahoo answers, I have seen people asking things like 'how do I become anorexic?'. Obviously, you don't choose to become anorexic, but what I'm getting at, is because they see celebrities who have anorexia, some people think it's how to get thin, and don't think twice about the concequences.
Rhys Webb
Awake and Unafraid
Rhys Webb
September 1st, 2007 at 09:06pm
Simple and Clean:
I've noticed another thing about this subject, in yahoo answers, I have seen people asking things like 'how do I become anorexic?'. Obviously, you don't choose to become anorexic, but what I'm getting at, is because they see celebrities who have anorexia, some people think it's how to get thin, and don't think twice about the concequences.

on livejournal you will be surprised to see that there are tons of pro-anorexia communites suggestioning ways on how to become anorexic. i took a peak and saw that one girl asked how to make her arms pencil-stick thin like nicole richie. it was really... frightening. and you will also see that there are tons of pro-anorexia websites alone.
ChildVision
Really Not Okay
ChildVision
September 2nd, 2007 at 05:06pm
i dont the media plays a big part in it unless your an actress or an model. i dont find bones sticking out attractive at all so it hasn't really affected me.
im not saying it doesn't affect some people. alot of my friends look at magazenes and ooze how much they want to be 'that skinny'
im slightly overhweight and its not becuase people tease me cause on the most part. they dont. i think its just if your parents are overweight then there's a good chance you will be too.
jenni
Killjoy
jenni
September 3rd, 2007 at 12:26am
i believe more in natural beauty, you know, be happy with whatever God gave you...and i've been active in my high school's clubs about weight gain, weight loss crap...but about two, two and half summers ago i found out my mom was taking weight loss pills, even though she was involved in the same programs i was...i'm still heartbroken, and she's a phlebotemist (sticks you with needles and takes your blood) and knows just what pills can do to her, but i'm letting her mess up the remnants of her life...i kinda feel bad doing this, not getting her help, but i'm at the point where i don't care about her anymore...i wonder how my dad's doing...
xdemolition lover x
Joining The Black Parade
xdemolition lover x
September 3rd, 2007 at 01:15am
I think that the best way to lose weight (as you usally hear) is to exercise and eat right. I mean, I know that really clichè and all, but there is a point in there if you look at it as a fact and not just a common phrase. And I also believe that if you want to lose weight, diet pills are not the way. God knows what the side effects are.
Mrs.Lovette
Fabulous Killjoy
Mrs.Lovette
September 3rd, 2007 at 01:33am
I Think Exersize And And Eating Healthy Is The Only Way To Go.
Children Should Not Go On Diets.
Society Today Makes Girls hink They Should Only Wear Pink And Be Stick Figures And Boys Can Only Play Football Players , And The Have To Be " Ripped"
I Think The Way To Stop An Eating Disorder Is To Tlak About It.
iCaNtasteTHE:winter:
Killjoy
iCaNtasteTHE:winter:
September 5th, 2007 at 03:13am
yeah well i get it alot that im anerexic or belemic at first glance cuz im hella skinny.
but im NOT i eat alot and try to gain weight but i just dont >.<
and i dont understand. i guess i just have a fast metabolism??

and i rly hate how the media does this. it portrays horrible role-models. and causes the children of today to wanna be skinny, and its very unhealthy.
xSamsKa
Killjoy
xSamsKa
September 5th, 2007 at 04:20am
Mmmm... Well, idk, it's not I think it's a good thing, but I'm not neutral, so...
Rhys Webb
Awake and Unafraid
Rhys Webb
September 5th, 2007 at 04:57am
iCaNtasteTHE:winter::
yeah well i get it alot that im anerexic or belemic at first glance cuz im hella skinny.
but im NOT i eat alot and try to gain weight but i just dont >.<
and i dont understand. i guess i just have a fast metabolism??

and i rly hate how the media does this. it portrays horrible role-models. and causes the children of today to wanna be skinny, and its very unhealthy.

some people burn it up a heck of a lot faster then others do. and you might do the same thing. nothing wrong with that.
Invisible Monster.
Bleeding on the Floor
Invisible Monster.
September 5th, 2007 at 05:19am
in my opinion, people develop eating disorders because of all the medias these days. being "pretty" is being thin, clear skin, nice hair, etc. the biggest point is being thin. some people want to lose weight fast, exersizing make take too long, so not eating and purging works faster. eating disorders may be developped if you have a low self esteem. its not only about losing weight.
Rhys Webb
Awake and Unafraid
Rhys Webb
September 5th, 2007 at 05:24am
chicken shit.:
in my opinion, people develop eating disorders because of all the medias these days. being "pretty" is being thin, clear skin, nice hair, etc. the biggest point is being thin. some people want to lose weight fast, exersizing make take too long, so not eating and purging works faster. eating disorders may be developped if you have a low self esteem. its not only about losing weight.

actually if you purge, i read somewhere that you technically stay the same weight for a long period of time because you are still eating, just vomiting or using laxatives. with anorexia, you will lose the weight because nothing is making you feel nurished.
sometimes though i feel you can devlope one because you get depressed, like princess diana. she was bulimic for two to three years.
racheltangerine
Killjoy
racheltangerine
September 6th, 2007 at 02:47am
Why do people get eating disorders?
I know that some people develop eating disorders because of stress and wanting to take control of something, something that will have a positive outcome. At the time it's like, 'If I do this, I'll loose a little bit of weight and I'll be fine and everything will be better because I'll be skinnier and it was MY desicion.' But then it spirals out of control.
also, flat out low self confidence is a big part of it. especially, i think, if the person was bullied or ever called fat.