Don't have an account? Create one!

Eating Disorders and Weight Loss/Gain

AuthorMessage
Tanya1979
Fabulous Killjoy
Tanya1979
November 28th, 2006 at 10:46pm
Why do people get eating disorders?

I read somewhere on this thread that it was mental. Yikes..
I don't know, maybe for some people.
I am not askig people to feel sorry for me, I have changed my ways. I am also not trying to give anyone any ideas or anything.
I had a eating disorder for 5 years. I don't think it was because of anything mental at all to be honest with you, well not to begin with anyways.
It was the usual, your fat. From classmates, my dad, my sister. God even my gym teacher. I heard it time and time again, day in day out. Then.....
After while I looked in the mirror.l then started to see a fat girl, then that is when it started in my head, which I could call it being "Mental" then.

I never looked at models or anything like that. It wasn't because of magazine models, it was because of some of my family, so-called friends, teachers and classmates.

Like I said I am not trying to make people feel sorry for myself. because I came to my senses, after I got real sick of course, then had to spend time in a hospital with a feeding tube and IV. But you all get the point.
The Nightbeast.
Salute You in Your Grave
The Nightbeast.
November 28th, 2006 at 11:01pm
^Its a proven fact that eating disorders have a mental side to them.
Its not just the thinking process, its involves the chemistry of our brain as well.
Im not good at explaining this half of eating disorders, but go back a page and you'll find a great explanation.

-----
You know what sickens me about eating disorders?
The fact that girls are actually advertising their love for their ED on myspace.
I dont see how anyone could be so comfortable with this disorder,
and claim to love their eating habits.
I really dont understand why anybody would want to publically admit to millions of people that they love their eating disorder and will not change.
Punk_Bling_Girl_85
Bleeding on the Floor
Punk_Bling_Girl_85
November 29th, 2006 at 08:42am
^ i guess a lot of people feel strongly about it, and when you are so caught up in your ed, it feels like its an amazing place to be sometimes. This is wrong, at one point I was really into pro-ed sites and things like that (when I was a lot younger might I add) now im older and almost cured, I can see how completly wrong I was, but at the time, you couldnt have told me any different.

As far as posting about love for your eating disorders on here, i dont really think its a responsible move, there are a lot of impressionable people, so please be more thoughtful in your words (to anyone who "loves" their ed)
Tanya1979
Fabulous Killjoy
Tanya1979
November 29th, 2006 at 11:48am
Christ-ina-mas!:
^Its a proven fact that eating disorders have a mental side to them.
Its not just the thinking process, its involves the chemistry of our brain as well.
Im not good at explaining this half of eating disorders, but go back a page and you'll find a great explanation.

-----
You know what sickens me about eating disorders?
The fact that girls are actually advertising their love for their ED on myspace.
I really dont understand why anybody would want to publically admit to millions of people that they love their eating disorder and will not change.

What I stated was at first it did not seem like a mental prob, until later on when it had recome worst for me. At the time I could not connect my disorder with anything mental, I was far too young and caught up in it all to see that part. Yes, I do believe that now, years later.
Spiderpig
Banned
Spiderpig
December 1st, 2006 at 11:25am
i think if you have life risking weight problems such as obese i might be hard to lose weight because you just give up hope of that "one day" you`ll be "normal"
if your anorexic like my cousin was its probably pressure from other ppl oor you think your fat my cousin was in hospital.
Feel What You Feel.
Bleeding on the Floor
Feel What You Feel.
December 1st, 2006 at 03:17pm
In gym, we started the health unit a while ago. Today we got this booklet about eating disorders, but we weren't allowed to take it home.
In the back, it stated that 70% of women who look at a fashion magazine for three minutes feel depressed, guilty, or shameful. That could cause eating disorders to want to be like the models and celebrities. We also are going to see a video clip where a model goes into a studio, looking pretty bland. Then she gets make-up, her hair done, clothes, etc. Then the picture is shot and they edit everything on a photo program. And that's just for a Dove ad.
So what's in magazines, on TV, and on billboards isn't the real person. It's a fake person who doesn't look like that without the editing and make-up. If someone doesn't understand that, I believe it could lead to an eating disorder.
Punk_Bling_Girl_85
Bleeding on the Floor
Punk_Bling_Girl_85
December 1st, 2006 at 03:42pm
^^
most definatly, its all about false hopes and the expectations are unrealistic because they were never real in the first place!
DanceWithMe
Motor Baby
DanceWithMe
December 8th, 2006 at 04:31pm
some people who just so happen to be extra skinny, get called anorexic or bulimic, but they just don't have a apitite, or they have a good metabolism. i think that if people were more aware of the eating disorders that people have, they won't just lable you as anorexic or whatever, just because a size eight happens to be too big for you.
Eveline
Demolition Lover
Eveline
December 12th, 2006 at 07:47am
I was pretty normal in July , but then everything changed.
So much happened in my personal life that I became too skinny.
I started throwing up and yeah from one let the other.
My health went down like a rollercoaster.
But my friends got my through it so I gained weight and now I'm average / fat.
I recently did it again , but I promised that I'd quit.
I'd rather be fat then too skinny.
I haven't threw up since 2 weeks from now.
I'm proud of myself.
yoey962
Bleeding on the Floor
yoey962
December 18th, 2006 at 02:19pm
[quote="Tanya1979"][quote="Christ-ina-mas!"][color=limegreen][size=90]^Its a proven fact that eating disorders have a mental side to them.

-----

the thing is, you are NOT comfortable with the way you are eating. when you get an eating hang up you spend your life constantly on the edge, contemplating the next thing your gonna put in your mouth, and feeling guilty for the ten tiny bran flakes and dribble of milk that you ate for breakfast. you also constantly worry about how you are going to get out of eating lunch when you know your friends are looking at you and how you are going to persuade your family that you are ok and normal.

it is definatly a mental thing. you get so wrapped up in yourself when you get an eating hang up that you become a complete self centred bitch. you just don't know what is happening to everyone else or how your behaviour is affecting the people that LOVE YOU.

thankfully the people that love me, and my own body saved me. they did it by being deciteful and going behind my back and i hated them for it. but it was the right thing to do, and people with eating hang ups need that kick up the arse, the realisation that they are hurting people with what they are doing to shock themselves out of it.

(sorry, once i got started i couldn't stop!)
Happy in the rain
Salute You in Your Grave
Happy in the rain
December 19th, 2006 at 09:25am
I think dieting when your still young (16/17 or below) is kinda stupid in some ways yet okay in others.
On the one hand you could say that someone is still growing and so their bodies would even out, you could say that as long as their BMI (Body Mass Index) ios average, they are a healthy weght wiether they think they look fat or not. You could say that some people had dietry problems like obesity or needed to loose weight to have an operation for something.

Yet you could have an avrage BMI, and want to diet to fit ion. Wiether you wanted to become as skinny as the lastet models, people saying things to you becuse they were jelous of how amaing your figure was- peir(sp?) pressure.
The Nightbeast.
Salute You in Your Grave
The Nightbeast.
December 19th, 2006 at 10:08am
Zoe-I think you were quoting me, correct?
Your right, most people are not comfortable with their eating disorder.
I, too, have had an eating disorder and understand what you were saying.
But, if you had read my whole post, you'd realize I was talking about the pro-eating disorder people.
They tend to be more at ease with their eating habits, though that could just be a cover.
The Nightbeast.
Salute You in Your Grave
The Nightbeast.
December 19th, 2006 at 10:09am
double post
Shayna;Vengeance
Salute You in Your Grave
Shayna;Vengeance
December 22nd, 2006 at 11:56pm
eating disorders. i really don't know what to say about these. i really can't say i've delt with a person having one, but i'm thankful for that. i wouldn't someone that i loved dealing with this issue. i would have to say yes it is indeed a mental issue, we're surrounded by the media that shows us its perfect version of a woman or a man. woman aren't the only ones who go through this. we all know men do to. thats not the point either its the media, parents pressuring children, or the person themself seeing their so called flaws. there are various other reasons why people go through them in the first place, numerous reasons we couldn't get into. is it right for kids going through a diet? no absoulutely not. the child is growing up their bodies need to be nourished. the only time it is acceptable to put a child on a diet is when the child is obese and is having heart problems etc. other than that you can't really do this to a child.
Mary_Rocks
Killjoy
Mary_Rocks
December 23rd, 2006 at 12:13am
Why do people get eating disorders?

It's a nurological issue. When a woman who has an eating disorder looks it the miror, her brain doesn't not see what's there, but an altered perception of it, hence why many anorexics believe themselves to be 'fat'. Scans of the brains of people with eating disorders have shown this. Men may be affected by this condition as well, but it's less common due to the difference between male and female brain functions.
Kayla!
Joining The Black Parade
Kayla!
December 23rd, 2006 at 02:40pm
I used to be anorexic. And I slapped myself in the face for ever making myself so skinny.

The overall feeling of it is just depressing, and the side effects were horrific. I'm glad I got help.
Cyanide Laced
Joining The Black Parade
Cyanide Laced
December 23rd, 2006 at 02:45pm
yeah...i think its just really sad that people can feel so bad about themselves that they would resort to this...its sad...but i can really understand.

acouple of weeks ago i stopped throwing up after i ate...it was a really stupid thing to do but no matter what i did i couldnt slim down my hips =/
yoey962
Bleeding on the Floor
yoey962
December 23rd, 2006 at 03:23pm
Land Shark:
But, if you had read my whole post, you'd realize I was talking about the pro-eating disorder people.
They tend to be more at ease with their eating habits, though that could just be a cover.

oh sorry! totally had a blond moment there (can't help it, it's in my genes)
but i think what i said could really apply to those pro-eating disorders people too. i agree with that it is a cover because, like you said you know what it is like, and even if someone seems to be happy with that, there surely must be moments of lucidity in their lives where they are unhappy with what they are doing to themselves, and use their "i love eating disorders" crap to cover it up. but when it gets to that stage i think it might not even be about the disorder anymore. it just turns into a competition with other pro-ED's to see who can be the skinniest and not die.
Astro Zombie Manda.
Always Born a Crime
Astro Zombie Manda.
December 24th, 2006 at 08:31pm
I think are many reasons why people are annorexic. I was never like that, but there was a time about a year ago when I got so depressed I just didn't ever feel like eating. It wasn't that I hated my weight because I really was skinny and I knew that. I just didn't care. I didn't care what it ended up as. So I think it goes with depression too
The Nightbeast.
Salute You in Your Grave
The Nightbeast.
December 25th, 2006 at 06:45pm
yoey692:
oh sorry! totally had a blond moment there (can't help it, it's in my genes)
but i think what i said could really apply to those pro-eating disorders people too. i agree with that it is a cover because, like you said you know what it is like, and even if someone seems to be happy with that, there surely must be moments of lucidity in their lives where they are unhappy with what they are doing to themselves, and use their "i love eating disorders" crap to cover it up. but when it gets to that stage i think it might not even be about the disorder anymore. it just turns into a competition with other pro-ED's to see who can be the skinniest and not die.

Its quite alright, everyone has blonde moments.
Back on track, I can completely agree with your post.
There is atleast one time, no matter how comfortable they may be with the eatind disorder, where they wish they didnt have to deal with this.
I think it might also start off as a competition with a friend or something and evolve into much more.
But anyways, I agree 100% with your post.