Eating Disorders and Weight Loss/Gain

AuthorMessage
TheMidnightLurker
Killjoy
TheMidnightLurker
August 7th, 2006 at 02:26pm
Why do people get eating disorders?
two words: mass media

and also, I want to point out for all the people that have stuff against anorexics...it's not their fault. It's a serious mental disorder (and that wasn't to be taken like I think anorexics are mental; it's a fact) and somehow, they think that they need to lose weight by whatever means necessary. I have a lot of friends who think anorexics are 'gross, disgusting, or stupid' and I'm ashamed, not because I'm anorexic, but because they really truly can't control it and it's like a virus that tellls them, 'you're fat; you're so fat' everyday. It's not their fault, and you shouldn't say so.
BestDamnDressIOwn
Jazz Hands
BestDamnDressIOwn
August 7th, 2006 at 02:28pm
What do you think is a good way to lose weight? Exorsising, and cutting back on fast food and such.
Do you think it's bad for young kids to go on diets? Unless they are obese, then yes.
Why do people get eating disorders? The pressure to be skinny, from the media.
Mud
Really Not Okay
Mud
August 7th, 2006 at 10:24pm
TheMidnightLurker:
two words: mass media

and also, I want to point out for all the people that have stuff against anorexics...it's not their fault. It's a serious mental disorder (and that wasn't to be taken like I think anorexics are mental; it's a fact) and somehow, they think that they need to lose weight by whatever means necessary. I have a lot of friends who think anorexics are 'gross, disgusting, or stupid' and I'm ashamed, not because I'm anorexic, but because they really truly can't control it and it's like a virus that tellls them, 'you're fat; you're so fat' everyday. It's not their fault, and you shouldn't say so.

I agree entirely. Its a medical condition; a mental disorder thats not to be underestimated. If you say its "gross, disgusting or stupid", its only going to make it even harder for someone who might be aware that they have a problem to admit it. And once they recover, you're only going to further their poor image of themselves. Its very damaging to talk about a serious illness in that way.
FlamingXbaby
Thinking Happy Thoughts
FlamingXbaby
September 2nd, 2006 at 09:29pm
I don't understand why people are so obsessed with how models look.
"Oh my God, she is too skinny. She needs to eat; she's making me feel bad about myself."
"Well, models have unrealistic bodies."
"I wish they would gain some weight!"
That's ridiculous. If the models can be skinny, you can be skinny, so just get over it. People are so jealous. It's not unrealistic. It's their business if they don't want to eat. So what if it isn't healthy!
Haha.
horse_riders_r_stable_ppl
Motor Baby
horse_riders_r_stable_ppl
September 11th, 2006 at 03:08pm
i blame celebrities like nicole ritchie for making teenage girls starve themselves to get the "perfect body". we watched a body shapes video in SFL at school and it was disgusting - but it's good that it shocked people out of starving themselves!
Keep The Faith__x
Joining The Black Parade
Keep The Faith__x
September 11th, 2006 at 03:44pm
people completely forget that it is a mental problem and think that they're just doing it for attention when really they see it as the only way to lose weight and they probably dont want it anyway. i think it usually develops for the medias ideas of 'perfect' people and for sly comments people may have recieved and read into tto much
FlamingXbaby
Thinking Happy Thoughts
FlamingXbaby
September 11th, 2006 at 04:41pm
I don't think the images presented are unrealistic. Models have the figures, actresses have the figures, kids at my school have the figures.

People just seem to have problems with people being skinny and I don't understand why.
McRgIrL13
Killjoy
McRgIrL13
November 8th, 2006 at 12:33pm
pressure from tv,models,bullies,people who are thin, stress, inpress someone

one thing : YOU LIVE ONCE
The Nightbeast.
Salute You in Your Grave
The Nightbeast.
November 8th, 2006 at 04:07pm
I have a question, but I want the actually answer, not just some stupid guess.

How is the chemical in-balance and the thoughts that they must be thin related?
Or does the chemical in-balance come from any actions taken from those thoughts?
Or are the thoughts from the chemical in-balance?
Just wondering, its been annoying me for some time now.
ami
Bleeding on the Floor
ami
November 19th, 2006 at 08:54am
penitence.:
Do you think it's bad for young kids to go on diets?

Not at all. If it's a healthy diet, like simply cutting out fats and oils. Exercising more and making it more of a lifestyle than a diet, then I don't see what's wrong with it. It's teaching kids a healthier way to eat and live and that's the best thing you can do for your child in my opinion.

nooooo. fats are an essential part of a healthy, balanced diet. It is only when they are in excess that they are bad.

People need to think about the types of fats they eat. Saturated fats, for example are the ones to look out for, they're not good for you. however, poly-unsaturated fats reduce cholesterol and have a beneficial effect on the body.
anna's just a kid.
In The Murder Scene
anna's just a kid.
November 19th, 2006 at 01:02pm
I blame Society & Media.
Magazines are always saying "Get a Hot Body!" or "Look great in a bikini!" I think that it's wrong that these things are printed continuely. It gives girls the impression that they have to always look good, and that the girls aren't fine just the way they are.

& When celebrities are constantly reported with being super under-weight and having an eating disorder, a lot of people don't realize that these girls are beginning to do the same, so that they can look like their idol.
whitney.
Shotgun Sinner
whitney.
November 19th, 2006 at 01:08pm
Again, this is the same thing as surgery. People, when you go on a drastic "Nicole Richie" diet, it's not going to make you perfect
your going to turn out to be another Nicole Richie.
And I hate to see that.
The Nightbeast.
Salute You in Your Grave
The Nightbeast.
November 19th, 2006 at 02:53pm
Darken Your Clothes:
Again, this is the same thing as surgery. People, when you go on a drastic "Nicole Richie" diet, it's not going to make you perfect
your going to turn out to be another Nicole Richie.
And I hate to see that.

The person feel they will be perfect when they reach his/her's desired weight, rather or not its healthy or not.
Maybe the person considers Nichole Richie to be perfect, so their going to continue dieting until they reach her weight.
jerseyxxkid
Jazz Hands
jerseyxxkid
November 19th, 2006 at 03:38pm
Christina for a 20:

Or does the chemical in-balance come from any actions taken from those thoughts?

Most Bulimia and Anorexia cases aren't neccessarily a chemical or hormonal inbalance. It starts with a desire, and then when your brain is so fixtated on that your brain starts sending signals to make it happy, which spirals out of control.

That's why many teen/adults with anorexia and bulimia take a longer time than younger kids. Since younger kids have more influences and listen to people. But once you get older-you're body mainly responds to you and only you.
The Nightbeast.
Salute You in Your Grave
The Nightbeast.
November 19th, 2006 at 03:42pm
jerseyxxkid:
Most Bulimia and Anorexia cases aren't neccessarily a chemical or hormonal inbalance. It starts with a desire, and then when your brain is so fixtated on that your brain starts sending signals to make it happy, which spirals out of control.

That's why many teen/adults with anorexia and bulimia take a longer time than younger kids. Since younger kids have more influences and listen to people. But once you get older-you're body mainly responds to you and only you.

Thank you, I really appreciate your answer.
Its nice to finally know the truth about how eating disorders are started.
Punk_Bling_Girl_85
Bleeding on the Floor
Punk_Bling_Girl_85
November 20th, 2006 at 10:00am
Christina for a 20:

There is evidence to suggest that disturbances in brain neurochemical systems, together with neuroendocrinal processes may contribute to the DEVELOPMENT of abnormal patterns of eating including both body weight gain and loss in humans.

I took this from a research essay that i have on this subject: Popular thought holds that these disorders are caused by people trying to fulfill a culturally imposed ideal body image which stresses thinness. As anorexia and bulimia have proven difficult to treat solely with a psychological-based treatment plan it is likely that there are many factors contributing to these disorders. Research has shown, however, that there is a significant biological component which leads to a manifestation of these disorders.

In my opinion, the chemical arguement for ed's is more understandable in cases of bulimia as it is often suggested that the binge behavior of bulimics may be in response to a chemical imbalance in the brain, that of low serotonin levels.

The truth is there are a lot of different theories when it comes to all menal illnesses. This study that I was talking about also found that after a normal meal healthy subjects described feeling satiated more often then people with bulimia. This indicates that bulimics may have a faulty satiation response center. A desire to feel satiated may cause the bulimic to try to flood their brain with tryptophan, by overeating on sugars which will lead to this precursor. The successful treatment of bulimia with fluoxetine hydrochloride, Prozac, also suggests the importance of serotonin in eating disorders. This drug acts to increase the amount of serotonin in the brain by inhibiting its reuptake. Some patients find this helps them control their binge/purge behaviors.

So i think it is perfectly correct to say that eating disorders such as bulimia and coe may well be initially caused by abnormal brain chemistry, but probably only in a smaller abount of cases.

So in most cases you are correct when you presume that the chemical inbalances are caused by the persons actions, ie once their ed is developed to a certain stage, their brain chemistry will change.
xXDr. KrazyXx
Fabulous Killjoy
xXDr. KrazyXx
November 24th, 2006 at 03:05pm
What do you think is a good way to lose weight? To go on a working diet and work out. If that does not work, and your weight is life-threatening, then bipass surgery if needed.
Do you think it's bad for young kids to go on diets? Yes, because if a child is on a diet, it will stunt their growth.
Why do people get eating disorders? Being teased and taunted by peers is what causes most. Either that, or wanting to be like models or actors.
How do we help people with eating disorders? Help them lose the weight healthily. :]
xXbleedingXx
Killjoy
xXbleedingXx
November 25th, 2006 at 11:15pm
i really think that people and young girls these days are getting eating disorders from the many pressures they face with media and with being popualr. they see the unrealistic beauty of super thin models and feel they must be the dame way to be beautiful.
sometimes they don't even realize all the the photoshop and editing the models in the magazines go through, i mean no wonder theirview of beauty is so distorted
freakgrl
Killjoy
freakgrl
November 26th, 2006 at 06:16am
I-love-you-blonde-gw:
What do you think is a good way to lose weight? To go on a working diet and work out. If that does not work, and your weight is life-threatening, then bipass surgery if needed.
Do you think it's bad for young kids to go on diets? Yes, because if a child is on a diet, it will stunt their growth.
Why do people get eating disorders? Being teased and taunted by peers is what causes most. Either that, or wanting to be like models or actors.
How do we help people with eating disorders? Help them lose the weight healthily. :]

I'm 16, almost 17 soon and I've never been on a diet.
I know kids that have been on diets, and it hasn't really been all that bad. Their growth is not stunted at all. Because really, a child's 'diet' is different to an adults. Because in an adults diet, you'd cut things out completely but in a child's diet generally, you're cutting out all the unhealthy things.
I have to say, that I've never been over weight, I've always been slightly underweight but, I'm fitter than most people and I'm happy with my body. The thing is though, I don't eat fast food, enjoy vegetables, I'm not a vegetarian and I do eat a reasonable amount of junk food.
I don't believe in children's diets, but there are exceptions. It's like when you see those 50 kilo children that are like... 10 years old and never do anything but eat junk food and lollies.
That's when you need to go on a diet.

And also, in answer to your first question:
I think that just proper eating, lots of fibre and plenty of water is a great way to start loosing weight. Vegetarian diet's are often a very fast way to loose weight, but omnivorous diets can be worked into a healthy lifestyle too, and quite easily at that. Exercise is also a key, so... It's not that hard to loose weight.

We cut bad habits out of our lives all the time,
why not cut bad eating habits too?
spencer smith.
Devil's Got Your Number
spencer smith.
November 27th, 2006 at 04:32am
{/Spam}

I had this friend who claims to be anorexic. But she basically just stopped eating one day. Then a week later, she was like 'Im a good weight now, ill start eating again' and all my friends didnt seem to understand that she wasnt anorexic. Anorexia effects the way you view yourself, and your confidence. She was just starving herself. They're 2 completely different things.

And as for the 'Celebrities putting pressure on young girls' thing, I completely agree. But did anyone ever think that it was people/media putting the pressure on the celebrities? All the magazine articles comparing them to the way they looked a month ago, and finding pictures of them in their swimwear and circling every tiny little thing 'wrong' with them. Its unbearable. I think if i had people doing things like that to me, i would feel the urge to 'perfect' myself too.
But the thing that makes it worse is how the magazines then have articles saying theyre too skinny! its like they cant win!

Sorry if i offended anyone, or pissed people off with my story of my friend.

-S