Don't have an account? Create one!

Eating Disorders and Weight Loss/Gain

AuthorMessage
FrancyPansy
Killjoy
FrancyPansy
June 3rd, 2007 at 03:18pm
There are soo many theories how to loose weight.. but are there any how to gain weight! If there are successfull, please tell me! need it.. somehow cause I hate the doctors aksing me "Miss, are you anorexic".... believe me, this sucks! it really does, because I am not! Eating chocolate and high calory stuff dont help when it coms to me :J

any ideas?
The Rumor
Awake and Unafraid
The Rumor
June 3rd, 2007 at 07:50pm
That's the type of thing you should make a topic about in the personal questions sub-forum...this section/thread is for serious debate only. =)
idk. my bff jill?
Demolition Lover
idk. my bff jill?
June 3rd, 2007 at 07:56pm
What do you think is a good way to lose weight?
exercise and eat right.

Do you think it's bad for young kids to go on diets?
unless a doctor says they need too,yes

Why do people get eating disorders?
the pressure to be skinny.
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
June 3rd, 2007 at 08:04pm
Fraenci:
There are soo many theories how to loose weight.. but are there any how to gain weight! If there are successfull, please tell me! need it.. somehow cause I hate the doctors aksing me "Miss, are you anorexic".... believe me, this sucks! it really does, because I am not! Eating chocolate and high calory stuff dont help when it coms to me :J

any ideas?

High calories doesn't always equal fat stores, especially if you have a fast metabolism. Your body will burn it all up before it has a chance to turn to fat, even if you're sitting on your butt doing nothing.
Go to your doctor and ask for a referral to a nutritionist, or simply for diet tips, to help you gain some healthy weight.
My advice is more protein (meat, make sure it's lean and as unrefined as possible - ie fast food burgers no, lean steak/fish/chicken yes), healthy fats and oils such as cheese, nuts and avocados (that's just an example of fatty foods that are natural and good for you, look around on the net or your local library for more 'oily' foods), and muscle-building exercise rather than slimming exercises - join a gym and start pumping some weights, which will build muscle mass and therefore bulk you up a little and raise the scale reading; rather than slimming exercise like jogging, which works by raising your metabolism to work faster.
Also, check with your doctor to make sure your thyroid and other glands are all in good working order, as an overactive thyroid will make your metabolism too fast and you'll lose weight, in addition to a million other not-so-great symptoms, so get all that checked and make sure it's solely a metabolism thing rather than an uderlying problem.
dee dee ramone.
Always Born a Crime
dee dee ramone.
June 4th, 2007 at 07:04pm
ilovegerardway2much:
i think losing weight can be good and bad. depends if u work out a few times a week and eat healthy, then go ahead. if ur starving urself and forcing urself2throw up.... u have issues. u should like the way u r. if ppl dont like the way u look, say FUCK OFF and find new friends.

Well, some people can't help but hate they way they are. It's not an easy thing to change. You can't just wake up and decide,"Okay, today I'm going to stop all my years of self-loathing and love myself." And it's not that easy to say f--- off and find new friends when they're the only thing you have left keeping you from having already killed yourself from starvation.

Cigarettes And Suicide:

As someone pointed out before, why do people get so up in arms about skinny people, but we're meant to be sympathetic towards obese people with no self-control? I would never say anything outright to a fat stranger on the street because I'm not a cruel person seeking to hurt their feelings, but I don't see why they should be pandered to and accommodated when being fat, in my opinion, is worse than being skinny.

I agree. All the media has to say on eating disorders/weight loss or gain is "OH MY GOD SHE'S SO SKINNY BLAHBLAH SHE NEEDS TO GAIN WEIGHT! ONE PAGE 6 CHECK OUT CELEBS WITH REAL CURVES!"
Granted, the celebrity or whoever may need to gain weight, but the so-called celebs with "real curves" aren't voluptuous, healthy-looking women, they've just let themselves go a bit and they're walking around the beach in their bikinis with chunks of flesh squeezing out of places and quite frankly, it's not exactly inspiration to gain weight for those with eating disorders. I've said all this, and you might think I'm a skinny girl who thinks omgsh i hate women with boobs but I'm not. I'm not a size 6 like most of my friends, I'm a size 8-10. I'm saying this as a "woman with curves" I guess. I have a figure, but I still think it's unfair that skinny women get all this crap about how they look even thought some of them naturally look like that, and women who just are overweight are gives positive press. It's ridiculous.
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
June 4th, 2007 at 07:35pm
^ Exactly. If we're supposed to be disgusted by one extreme, why do we tip-toe around the other and try to make them feel better about themselves? If we're being realistic, obesity should be just as disgusting as anorexic figures, and normal, healthy (which you are, at a size 8, but I know what it's like to be the biggest amongst your group of friends) figures should be celebrated.
I mean, extremely thin people obviously have their self-image issues just like obese people do, but everyone shames the skinny girls and goes on about how they're terrible role models etc - well hey, I wouldn't want my kids looking up to someone like Roseanne Barr or Kirstie Alley as a role model either, because their eating habits are just as unhealthy, if not more, as someone who appears to starve themselves. My point being that, just as people assume that making a fat person feel bad about their weight will cause them to get depressed and eat more and get fatter, pointing out a skinny person's flaws doesn't do them any good either - their way of combatting depression over their image is to exercise more, eat less, and therefore compounds the problem.
If you're going to attack skinny people, stop pandering to obese people - they deserve scrutiny just as much.

Maybe I'm just biased because I've had an eating disorder since I was 14 (and I refuse to say 'suffered from', because to me it's not a bad thing), but I'm far more grossed out by useless, untoned flesh than a hip bone or rib poking out. I mean, leaner is healthier than 'I can't get out of my armchair without someone to help me', right? It's easier to fix a lack of weight than it is to take off 100 excess kilograms.
chemicalroses
Killjoy
chemicalroses
June 25th, 2007 at 02:14pm
i am a very petite person at age 14. alot of my friends are over weight and they know im not their friends cause i feel bad for them or that i starve myself. i'm a pig when it comes to food. i just was born with a fast matabalism. when people first meet me and i tell them i do ballet, they think i starve myself just because i am so skinny. i hate that if you are skinny, when people first see you, in the back of their heads people are probalbly thinking "oh she must be an anorexic" it gets really annoying
CyanidexDeath
Jazz Hands
CyanidexDeath
June 25th, 2007 at 07:57pm
^ um thats the sorta thing that should be in another form. ( welcome to INO)
i think the media pressures people to be skinny to the point where they get an eating disorder.
karma police.
Always Born a Crime
karma police.
June 25th, 2007 at 08:05pm
bamthevampire:
i think the media pressures people to be skinny to the point where they get an eating disorder.

I completely agree with you. There are so many articles talking about how you can 'Get Thin!' and such, but do any of them really work? And all the televisions ad's about the pills. The main rule of the pills is that yes you can take them. But, you also have a certain amount of exercise you have to do within a week to balance things out. Almost nothing works alone on a pill.
And why is the media putting such pressure on young girls and boys too?
I find for men it is much more centered around being the jock with muscle. Having a toned body. Then steroids come in.
If you are naturally thin that's great, but if you are naturally bigger that is okay too.
It all depends on your health. People can be thin but they might not be healthy, they may just be lucky and have a high metabolism. Or vice versa. A naturally bigger person may have great health, but just have a lower metabolism.
Media doesn't see that. Media wants perfection, to get you to strive to be like that by buying their product.

Why do you think that the pressure is more centered to women than it is to men?
Addictied To Gerard
Killjoy
Addictied To Gerard
June 25th, 2007 at 10:52pm
eating disorders are horrible. i know someone wiht one, she looks gross. she had big black bages under her eyes, you could see almost every bone i n her body (not exagerated, every bone in her face, legs, arms, ect.) she even missed about a month of school because she had to go to a physical theripy. she faited a couple times, too. : (
Rhys Webb
Awake and Unafraid
Rhys Webb
June 25th, 2007 at 11:48pm
right now i am so desperate to lose weight that i will crash diet and stick with it.

is trimspa really as bad as everyone says it is?
Casimir Pulaski Day
Shotgun Sinner
Casimir Pulaski Day
June 26th, 2007 at 03:18am
I am what you would call a 'normal' looking kid. 5'7", 110 pounds. But I want to loose weight. I think I am fat. I gained ten pounds this school year!
But, I don't think that is right. It should not be this way. I, nor anybody else, should feel the pressure to loose weight unless they really need to do so. (Morbidly obese, diabetic...)
We should really learn to accept ourselves, otherwise we will keep the circle turning. Whether we want somebody to gain weight, or loose it. I think healthy is the way to be. If you must, working out and eating less (not a crash diet, those never work unless you want to loose weight for a day and then gain it all back) always works. I wish everybody could accept a healthy weight. Even me.
Ghostgirl191
Jazz Hands
Ghostgirl191
June 26th, 2007 at 05:10am
i think that the media have a big roll to play in eating disorders, all you ever see now in the tabloids now is very thin women and how they got that way.

also i think that some girls today think that if your skinny, than your healthy. i think that schools should teach more on the subject, and fashion designers need to make clothes for girls with curves in order to say "its okay to have curves. you can still look fabulous"

i dont see why girls want no figure, why are they striving to look like little boys?
HU4L
Jazz Hands
HU4L
June 28th, 2007 at 11:47am
yes if your are 12 and think you fat thats just prolly puberty and baby fat
when puberty is over you lose some(if not a bunch or all) of it
i havent finished puberty yet but thats what the doc. said.
HU4L
Jazz Hands
HU4L
June 28th, 2007 at 11:55am
Ghostgirl191:
i think that the media have a big roll to play in eating disorders, all you ever see now in the tabloids now is very thin women and how they got that way.

also i think that some girls today think that if your skinny, than your healthy. i think that schools should teach more on the subject, and fashion designers need to make clothes for girls with curves in order to say "its okay to have curves. you can still look fabulous"

i dont see why girls want no figure, why are they striving to look like little boys?

yea i have a big but and i like it i would never wanna be some skinny thing that could hide behind a pole. i know skinny people and i wish they would eat a lot more.

and plus if you want curves such as boobs your bobs look smaller if you are really skinny. unless you get implants but i would never do that. and they're expensive. but

some people are naturally skinny and cant help it because their matabolism is quick.
xdeadsophiex
Killjoy
xdeadsophiex
June 29th, 2007 at 07:24am
i agree why can't people stop being obessed wiv there weight and eat PIZZA!!!!!!
xxmcrxfreekxx
Killjoy
xxmcrxfreekxx
July 5th, 2007 at 01:47am
What do you think is a good way to lose weight?

I think a good w*y to lose weight is to exercise.

Do you think it's bad for young kids to go on diets?

Only if they actually need to.

Why do people get eating disorders?

Because they see other people who they want to look like or they are jealous of and they want to be better then the other person.

How do we help people with eating disorders?

First off, if you know someone personally make sure they always eat and if they have bulemia, have someone by a door whenever they go to the bathroom. I know it's a bit of a privacy invasion but I certainly don't want anyone to have bulemia. If you don't know them that well, just remind them all the time they look good or compliment them on how skinny they look.
androidgirl
Motor Baby
androidgirl
July 30th, 2007 at 10:55am
its really weird because before anorexia and stuff were just in the books, but now they're like everywhere! i think that society has the blame for this because it encourages the spread of eating disorders and it brings pressure to teens and all. i think that these eating disorders may be just a trend for now, you know, since celebrities are like puking and binging and all...
conor oberst.
Bleeding on the Floor
conor oberst.
August 3rd, 2007 at 08:19am
My sister is anorexic and she has been for about a year it's really hard on the family but we all cover it up. Only our closest friends know and we all pretend to be happy when really we arn't.
Ballroom Blitz
Bleeding on the Floor
Ballroom Blitz
August 4th, 2007 at 08:59am
Obesity and food addiction for the most part, are extremely interesting for me.
i don't know why.
i find it so intriguing to listen and read people's stories of how they became to be who they are.

i think governments should learn that most cases of morbid obesity stem from a food addiction, and food addictions are real. therefore more rehab centers.
...that sentence made little to no sense, but still.