Don't have an account? Create one!

Eating Disorders and Weight Loss/Gain

AuthorMessage
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
October 6th, 2007 at 09:38pm
Does anyone think, if schools educated people about eating disorders from say, 12 or 13, that less people may develope them?
Like, if they knew exactly what eating disorders do to your body, and symtoms ect.
I think it could help prevent it, I know that things like anorexia and bullmia are mental diseases, but with the right education, even if the person developing these things can't realise it and prevent it, someone close might see it happening and be able to do something about it.
All_You_Need_Is_Love
Joining The Black Parade
All_You_Need_Is_Love
October 6th, 2007 at 10:18pm
Most people can see it happening anyway.

I don't think programs about it in school would do anything positive. Think about DARE and other drug education programs, and sex ed where they teach that if you ARE going to have sex you should wear a condom.
How many teenagers do drugs? How many have unprotected sex?

Learning about the effects of those things don't deter people from doing them, I don't really see how educating people about the effects of eating disorders would be any different.
sweet disposition.
Banned
sweet disposition.
October 6th, 2007 at 11:19pm
I don't think talks in school would help; we had a woman come into ours to talk to us about it.

All the girls acted as if they really cared about what she was saying. But when she asked if anyone had any questions, everyone asked the same thing - how are they losing weight?

And of course, she told them.

So instead of educating us, it was more like giving us tips.
Rhys Webb
Awake and Unafraid
Rhys Webb
October 7th, 2007 at 01:21am
Simple and Clean:
Does anyone think, if schools educated people about eating disorders from say, 12 or 13, that less people may develope them?
Like, if they knew exactly what eating disorders do to your body, and symtoms ect.
I think it could help prevent it, I know that things like anorexia and bullmia are mental diseases, but with the right education, even if the person developing these things can't realise it and prevent it, someone close might see it happening and be able to do something about it.

i doubt it, and here is my reasoning as to why:
you can educate a person to the fuliest extent, and if they are determined, then they will decide to starve or purge.
sometimes education does jack shit.
Spring Nicht.
Bleeding on the Floor
Spring Nicht.
October 8th, 2007 at 10:12pm
Why do people get eating disorders?

I believe it's all in their brain that they think they have to stop eating, or they have to throw everything up. It's a mental thing that they choose whether to take people's comments to heart or if they just let them slide. It's also WHO says the comment that makes the difference. Like, if someone on the street called me fat, I'd brush it off. But my dad has told me that I have huge arms, and I felt so bad about it. My friend has also said to me that I'd look "so pretty" if I were thinner. To me, eating disorders develop of two things: Mental balance, and peer pressure. I really don't think the media has anything to do with it.
DhaniCauldwell
Killjoy
DhaniCauldwell
October 8th, 2007 at 11:28pm
Well, I used to weigh about 245 pounds and dropped down to 175 all because I stopped eating simple sugars (candy, cookies, soda) and ate normally and went on daily walks with my dad and didn't eat after 7 P.M. All it takes is a little self-discipline. ^_^ As for diets in America, they focus too much on size and not enough on what is really healthy for a person. My doctor says that my BMI is still too high for my height of 5'8" and says that I need to drop another 35 pounds in order to be in a good range Rolling Eyes.
Sonnet 130
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Sonnet 130
October 8th, 2007 at 11:38pm
The eating disorder anoxira may just be starving yourself to be stick then and in some cases it is; but it's also has to do with a mental illness. Some people use it as a way to feel in control, these are called control freaks. People who do it for rests like this also need serious help, you could have this eating disorder in your thirties but it could be connected to something that happened in your childhood.

Sometimes it comes down to pressure. Like say for friend and also been skinnier then you but you think nothing of it until say she becomes a model, or even always gets the lads. You under pressure to look like her because your jealous of the way she looks.
Rhys Webb
Awake and Unafraid
Rhys Webb
October 9th, 2007 at 04:32am
a person who is anorexic constantly sees his or herself as fat -- they can be a perfect looking stick, but once they look in that mirror, they see their bodies outlined with fat. that is anorexia nervosa.
but you can ALSO just have anorexia, which is just the need to be thin.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
October 9th, 2007 at 04:40am
All_You_Need_Is_Love:
Most people can see it happening anyway.

I don't think programs about it in school would do anything positive. Think about DARE and other drug education programs, and sex ed where they teach that if you ARE going to have sex you should wear a condom.
How many teenagers do drugs? How many have unprotected sex?

Learning about the effects of those things don't deter people from doing them, I don't really see how educating people about the effects of eating disorders would be any different.

so true, teens experiment, they are so going to test their diet and mess with thier wieght. but trust me anerxia is no walk in the park. now i'm much better now but before i would eat one actual meal a day go to a mirror see how "fat" i was then get so upset. i still call myself, but i'm eating pretty good now and exercising so...
dinosore.
Bleeding on the Floor
dinosore.
October 10th, 2007 at 04:56am
Most people don't know that people don't choose to have an eating disorder. I've learned through treatment for my ED that you really can't help it. And mostly perfectionistic, determined people get them, some can even be born or destined to have an ED. Sometimes it even runs in the family.

I'm really pissed off how people view us: self centered, weight obsessed freaks. We can't help it. It is a mental illness.

As for treatment...If you know someone who is struggling with an eating disorder, tell someone or talk to them yourself. Tell them you're worried, and even though they'll feel like shit for having their secret found it, it will save their life. And please [b]please[/b don't watch them eat or monitor their food intake. It just stressed us out, though many people find that the only way they can "help"

I sound wierd saying all this, considering I'm hospitalized right now for anorexia, really not wanting to get better, but therapy and other patients have taught me. Anyone, feel free to talk to me if you have questions about eating desorders and such, I've been there.
xGerardifiedx
Killjoy
xGerardifiedx
October 21st, 2007 at 09:41am
what if you just cant eat much?if you are skinny, cant eat much, but you do get decent exercise! is that bad? is it harmful?
sweet disposition.
Banned
sweet disposition.
October 21st, 2007 at 11:56am
^^ My friend says she's like that, and that one small meal a day fills her up.

I think she has an eating disorder though.
DeadInTheWater
Fabulous Killjoy
DeadInTheWater
October 21st, 2007 at 01:36pm
okay heres my opinion.,

society is so fucked up nowadays that if you actually eat and your clothes dont hang off you you are seen ad fat, which in reality is bull.
Saying that, even people like me who realise that it's just the media having control over people to be 'perfect' can help but feel fat sometimes.

Take a look at any celebrity magazine, they will mock people for 'being fat' when in reality they are healthier and of a medically average weight that the stick thin model on the next page who is being praised for losing 3 stine by eating nithing but cabbage for about 2 months or some shizz like that.

The best way to loose weight is with healthy food and exercise, but i think before people even try to diet they should ask themselves 'am i dieting to look thinner aned be able to wear smaller sized clothes? or am i dietig because it would be better for my health if i were thinner?'

Everyones different and anyone who wants to be stick thin just to fit in with celebrities is just being a sheep and following the crowd. I mean theres all this thing about being individual and that, and that shouldnt refer to just clothes and what you wear it should refer to weight aswell. You should be at a weight which is healthy for you and where you are eating enough to not be hungry.

end of,
(lol, sorry if i started to go on a bit )
=D
x
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
October 21st, 2007 at 01:58pm
In defense of the people above, I don't have to eat much to fill up either, and I am a little overweight. Part of it is my age -- my metabolism is slowing down, so if I have a big meal, I really only need a snack later in the day. But then again, I've always been that way. People would try to force me to eat more than I wanted and I would get sick. There is a fine line. I'd say that if your friend is healthy, active, and doesn't obsess over her weight, she's probably okay. There's nothing I hate more than people telling me I don't eat enough. I eat until I am full. Some days that's a bowl of Easy Mac. Other days it's the full Cheeseburger in Paradise with fries and a raspberry margarita, followed by a large milkshake and a cookie. My body knows what it needs/wants so I don't force myself to eat more than what I am hungry for. I've also lost 60 lbs over the last year, so I don't even worry about counting calories because I'm active enough to burn off more than what I'm taking in. It all works out.
sweet disposition.
Banned
sweet disposition.
October 21st, 2007 at 02:07pm
psychochip:
I'd say that if your friend is healthy, active, and doesn't obsess over her weight, she's probably okay.

She is obssessed with her weight a bit.
She's incredibly insecure, when she needn't be.
I mean, she's got a 23 inch waist and wears an English size 6/8 with C cup boobs!
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
October 21st, 2007 at 05:32pm
Yes, but is it the normal "I'm a girl so I have to pretend to care about my weight to fit in" or is it truly obsessive, where she counts calories, won't eat *any* junk food, and plays with the food on her plate?

I've even, in certain places, had to pretend to be a girly-girl (which I am most definitely NOT, by any stretch of the imagination) and act like I care what I'm eating, when in reality I'd rather bypass the salad and have an extra slice of pizza instead.
xGerardifiedx
Killjoy
xGerardifiedx
October 21st, 2007 at 07:26pm
i agree with psychochip! i also hate it when my parents force me to eat more than i can! it happens all the time at buffets for me and that is why i hate buffets. same goes for when people complain on how they think im skinny, i really, truly dont give a damn if im skinny, im happiest the way i am right now
sweet disposition.
Banned
sweet disposition.
October 21st, 2007 at 07:49pm
psychochip:
Yes, but is it the normal "I'm a girl so I have to pretend to care about my weight to fit in" or is it truly obsessive, where she counts calories, won't eat *any* junk food, and plays with the food on her plate?

I've even, in certain places, had to pretend to be a girly-girl (which I am most definitely NOT, by any stretch of the imagination) and act like I care what I'm eating, when in reality I'd rather bypass the salad and have an extra slice of pizza instead.

She doesn't care about fitting into clothes properly or anything like that.

She doesn't touch junk food.
And will survive on lettuce for a week if she feels like that.
sweet disposition.
Banned
sweet disposition.
October 21st, 2007 at 07:50pm
psychochip:

She doesn't care about fitting into clothes properly or anything like that.

She doesn't touch junk food.
And will survive on lettuce for a week if she feels like that.
Berylla
Motor Baby
Berylla
October 22nd, 2007 at 10:48am
i think more education on it is a good idea, but in the end, it wont work.
ive read too many girly books on the topic, i know exactly how to eat healthy and how to lose weight in a responsable way.
i also know i look very thin and that im a little underweight. none of this can hold me back though on skipping meals and eating irregular and feeling fucked up because of my weight. noone is able to convince me i look just fine, and the complicated part is that i actually know i do.
what im trying to say, when someone is completely into this stuff, you cant just get them out.