Don't have an account? Create one!

Straight Edge.

AuthorMessage
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
August 6th, 2008 at 01:04pm
xxWolvenPrincessxx:
I think that if people are going to do it, but it doesn't mean that the lifestyle they choose is ok, but that's their decision and someone else doesn't need to rag on them for it.

I'm a bit confused, if people are going to do drugs or be strait edge? I'm assuming you meant doing drugs because of the 'doesn't mean it's ok'. Again I'll say, in moderation not all drugs are bad, but I agree with you about the rest.
Volt-Zorg Boy
Awake and Unafraid
Volt-Zorg Boy
August 26th, 2008 at 06:44pm
all drugs do alter the mind in some way or another

a note on the wine discussion a page or so back
one glass is 'healthy' two or more has the opposite effects
Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
August 26th, 2008 at 07:19pm
Volt-Zorg Boy:
all drugs do alter the mind in some way or another

Which totally excludes all the physical effects (some good, some bad) that drugs can have.
Volt-Zorg Boy
Awake and Unafraid
Volt-Zorg Boy
August 27th, 2008 at 01:22am
^true

not all dependencies are physical
alot are mental
Super.Ninja.1
Killjoy
Super.Ninja.1
August 29th, 2008 at 12:28am
Straight edge sounds silly to me. No offence to anyone on this site that is. I guess I've grown up with so many things that are against that, is what I live with. I mean, the drug part is right, but other than anything else, it's something silly. Sorry if I offend you. Rolling Eyes
Emerald Muerte
Bleeding on the Floor
Emerald Muerte
August 30th, 2008 at 03:49am
^ yeah I agree.

I know the straight-edge philsophy is becoming more and more popular [with rock-stars like Davey Havok, Jade Puget etc] but do you guys think it really is changing the mindset of the current generation? Or do you think it's still a minority?

I know quite a few people who like the straight-edge lifestyle like myself who see no point in cheap thrills with recreational drugs but there are still a lot of other people who think it's cool to get stoned or what not. I wonder if there will ever be a time when straight-edgedness is a majority in society..
it's all happening
Salute You in Your Grave
it's all happening
August 31st, 2008 at 12:50am
This kind of averts the topic away from drugs, but I think being "straight edge" when it comes to drinking and smoking cigarettes is kind of inapplicable for those (like me) who are underage and aren't legally permitted to do those kinds of things anyways.

The fact that "straight edge" is a choice implies that you have the choice TO drink alcohol or smoke. I'm fifteen, so in my point of view, I can only logically be straight edge with drugs because it really isn't legal for anybody.
Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
August 31st, 2008 at 03:04am
Alpha Dog.:
This kind of averts the topic away from drugs, but I think being "straight edge" when it comes to drinking and smoking cigarettes is kind of inapplicable for those (like me) who are underage and aren't legally permitted to do those kinds of things anyways.

The fact that "straight edge" is a choice implies that you have the choice TO drink alcohol or smoke. I'm fifteen, so in my point of view, I can only logically be straight edge with drugs because it really isn't legal for anybody.
Just because it isn't legal doesn't mean it isn't possible. The fact that smoking and drinking underage isn't allowed doesn't stop anyone from doing it. Their choices do.
Volt-Zorg Boy
Awake and Unafraid
Volt-Zorg Boy
August 31st, 2008 at 03:14am
^illegal drugs are illegal no matter what age you are and people can start them as long as you (alphadog) are

i doubt straight edge will ever be a majority in society
it is abstaning from what alot of people think are the fun aspects of life
i know there are other ways to have fun, but most can't see past a drunken night that was 'awesome'

for example, tomorrow morning i will be at a bar/club in chicago for some type of show that will no doubt be amazing. At the same time, a few miles north, people will be filtering into wrigley staduim getting their drunken doushbagry on

also, it takes a strong person to be edge, not because of the fact that we say no to so much, is that we pretty much have are emotions under our own control all the time. there is no 'forgetting' about something for a few hours after having a drink. it is a constant, and i think at least, it's made me a stronger person for it
Emerald Muerte
Bleeding on the Floor
Emerald Muerte
August 31st, 2008 at 03:56am
Volt-Zorg Boy:
^illegal drugs are illegal no matter what age you are and people can start them as long as you (alphadog) are

i doubt straight edge will ever be a majority in society
it is abstaning from what alot of people think are the fun aspects of life
i know there are other ways to have fun, but most can't see past a drunken night that was 'awesome'

for example, tomorrow morning i will be at a bar/club in chicago for some type of show that will no doubt be amazing. At the same time, a few miles north, people will be filtering into wrigley staduim getting their drunken doushbagry on

also, it takes a strong person to be edge, not because of the fact that we say no to so much, is that we pretty much have are emotions under our own control all the time. there is no 'forgetting' about something for a few hours after having a drink. it is a constant, and i think at least, it's made me a stronger person for it

True true, thanks for answering that (=
Yeah I think you can decide to be straight-edge at any time so long as you're aware of drugs and alcohol and the effect they have on people regardless of whether you're at a legal age or not because it's still relative.

I agree with the emotions thing too, I feel a lot more sure of myself and I think for me it's more to be honest rather than mask your feelings with cheap thrills even if I'm only 15. It still happens with people I know. The drugs/alcohol don't last and just to state the obvious, they don't often make the situation any better than it was to start off with.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
August 31st, 2008 at 04:00am
Volt-Zorg Boy:
I'm confused by this. Are you saying you're somehow better than people "a few miles north" just because you happen to be going to a bar to see an "amazing" show? What has that example got to do with anything? Neutral

Volt-Zorg Boy:

Oh yeah, because people who aren't straightedge are just complete loonys who have no control over their emotions when they're under the influence (sarcasm).
Yeah, when you're extremely drunk or high, you are probably not as in control as someone who is sober. But just because you aren't straightedge it doesn't mean you drink yourself stupid until you can't control your emotions. And just because you might be straightedge it doesn't mean you have it together completely all the time. I've never met or known anyone who can control their emotions ALL the time, irrespective of whether they drink or take drugs etc..

I'm not trying to take away from you being straightedge - obviously it works for you and you're happy with it. But you speak of straightedgers as if they are some other race of people - like they are removed from 'normal' or 'average' people just because they "say no to so much", as you so interestingly put it.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
August 31st, 2008 at 04:06am
I kinda have to laugh at straight edge, most of the people I know who claim themself straight edge are like 13 and 14 year olds. Now true, alot of teens experiment with drugs, but just because you don't you think your better then someone who does decide to take drugs?

and a good portion of the kids I know who calim to be "straight edge" do drink occationally and have had sex and so on. I find it kinda a mockery. I think it does have a good meaning, but I doubt that most people who claim, do it for no other reason as to make a fashion statement.
Emerald Muerte
Bleeding on the Floor
Emerald Muerte
August 31st, 2008 at 04:15am
^I agree with you to some extent. It's became 'cool' yet some don't follow the philosophy behind or even know the philosophy at that. Still I think there are real straight-edgers out there who are young and opposed to the drug/alcohol culture. I for one had been attracted to the idea before I learned the term which the 'cool' kids refer to as sXe.

Mindfuck:

But you speak of straightedgers as if they are some other race of people - like they are removed from 'normal' or 'average' people just because they "say no to so much", as you so interestingly put it.

Straight-edgers are generally not your average people as the drug/alcohol culture is so immense the world-over. I know I shouldn't compare but it's like any religion type, the drinking/drugs culture assimilates that in that it's a large part of society and is accepted for what it is. Being straight-edge isn't common. I think the 'saying no to so much' was just a generalisation on part of the common social perspective. That's what people tend to think straight-edgers are like; it's just an assumption.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
August 31st, 2008 at 08:14pm
Emerald Muerte:
Straight-edgers are generally not your average people as the drug/alcohol culture is so immense the world-over. I know I shouldn't compare but it's like any religion type, the drinking/drugs culture assimilates that in that it's a large part of society and is accepted for what it is. Being straight-edge isn't common. I think the 'saying no to so much' was just a generalisation on part of the common social perspective. That's what people tend to think straight-edgers are like; it's just an assumption.

Right, so strait-edgers are so special and rare, they are just so much better than everyone else. I believe Mindfuck was referring to the fact that strait-edgers appear to have (like Volt-Zorg Boy's comment does) a higher than thou attitude. Just because you personally choose to 'say no' does not make you better then everyone else. But apparently if you're not strait edge then you're a complete idiot who is always high/drunk and doesn't know left from right. Drinking ≠ stupid. Strait edge ≠ smart.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
August 31st, 2008 at 08:29pm
Emerald Muerte:

But they're still normal people. They just don't drink or do drugs etc.
And straightedgers aren't the only ones who "say no to so much". I say no to a lot of things society throws at me, and so do a lot of other people I know. My sister, for example, says "no" to drinking - she hates it. But yet she does not follow the straightedge philosophy.

I don't see why straightedgers make such a big deal out of saying no to certain things. To straightedgers that do think that, I just say: look, you're not that special. So you don't drink, do drugs, and sleep around; wooo. Do you want a medal or something? File
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
August 31st, 2008 at 08:38pm
Eponine:

Right, so strait-edgers are so special and rare, they are just so much better than everyone else. I believe Mindfuck was referring to the fact that strait-edgers appear to have (like Volt-Zorg Boy's comment does) a higher than thou attitude. Just because you personally choose to 'say no' does not make you better then everyone else. But apparently if you're not strait edge then you're a complete idiot who is always high/drunk and doesn't know left from right. Drinking ≠ stupid. Strait edge ≠ smart.
I agree, I honestly think that most people who are "straight edge" do it for all the wrong reasons, if someone was passionate about no drugs, instead of beating up drug dealers (not every straight edge person does that but some do) they would make more of a piont if they voluenteered to teach kids the effects of drugs and so on and be and example, or maybe help in a rehab clinic and help people get clean. wow you decide not to do drugs, your every parents dream kid.

Most people do it to have a label and say that they can follow a trend. I there for do believe people that proclaim themselves as Straight Edge do think they are better, when kids found out I was smoking and drinking and doing some drugs, they looked down at me and just were so pathetic in how they would act around me. I know I was being stupid by doing the stuff I was doing, but I was smart about what I did, like when I was offered meth, I turned it down. Guess what I'm completely clean now, and they still look down on me. If they were really "such great" examples, they wouldn't condem someone and start shit up from messing around alittle bit, they weren't the one that went through withdrawls and so on.
Volt-Zorg Boy
Awake and Unafraid
Volt-Zorg Boy
August 31st, 2008 at 11:43pm
sorry if my comment came out like a holier than thou way, I didn't mean for it to sound like that (i reread it and can't really tell what i was trying to say at 2am)
What i was trying to say about the emotions. Alot of people (not all people) try to escape from what they're feeling and I feel that that's a bad thing to do
there is alot of animosity in this thread from both sides of this argument, so I'm speaking for myself on this one.
If you drink or abuse drugs I won't think less of you, I have plenty of friends who do engage in those activites. I don't. Big deal.
I have spent time teaching 4graders the danger of smoking. I enjoyed it, dispite that fact that i am not very prochildren.
We are apart of a generation lost.
It's hard to explain what I mean by that. In this culture, full of so much technology, with such a lazy population, we're all settling into our comfortable teenage lives and there is some reluctance to grow up. Our culture is supersaturated with ads and tv shows that show getting shitfaced drunk (which i know is not how everyone drinks) is fun. Drunk people are funny, but should we really be laughing as someone stumbles and can't think straight enough to walk without falling over?

as for this argument
Drinking ≠ stupid. Strait edge ≠ smart
my class validictorian drank occasionaly and would make pot bakery goods,

i've seen drug abuse and alcohol ruin people. I don't want to be that.

i'm not as dumb as i sound on a message board at 2 in the morning.
you can not change my position on the issue. I have my beliefs and ideals that are different than alot of people. If i come off as an elitist, well you're not seeing me for who i am.

side note-
anyone who has used any drug and goes clean, and stays clean
deserves alot of respect for going through that entire process.
matfew churlz sanduz
Shotgun Sinner
matfew churlz sanduz
September 1st, 2008 at 02:33am
I have a question; what really constitutes as being 'Straight Edge'?
For instance, all of the things listed that sXe people don't do, I don't do.
So does that make me Straight Edge by default?
Would other Straight Edge people consider me to be one of them, or am I in an entirely different league?
Also, do some/most/all Straight Edge people feel that others should not drink, do drugs, smoke etc. or is this more of a personal 'this is what I do, but you do what you want' thing?
I'd just like to know the consensus, I guess.
Emerald Muerte
Bleeding on the Floor
Emerald Muerte
September 1st, 2008 at 03:52am
Eponine:
Emerald Muerte:

Okay, fair enough;I see what you mean. I'm sorry if that came out sounding like that. I value straight-edgeness because I think it's good for me, and if you [you in general] choose not to follow I respect that. The only reason I was talking about it is because I view it as being relevant in terms of the kind of people I'm with at school and stuff who seem to get themselves in a lot of trouble due to their influence of drugs and alcohol, but in saying that I understand that other people can handle it and I appreciate that. I guess it didn't sound like I considered that side in my last post, thanks for picking that up. [:

matfew churlz sanduz:

I have a question; what really constitutes as being 'Straight Edge'?
For instance, all of the things listed that sXe people don't do, I don't do.
So does that make me Straight Edge by default?
Would other Straight Edge people consider me to be one of them, or am I in an entirely different league?
Also, do some/most/all Straight Edge people feel that others should not drink, do drugs, smoke etc. or is this more of a personal 'this is what I do, but you do what you want' thing?
I'd just like to know the consensus, I guess.

I don't really know if straight-edge is becoming a more generic term but if you do follow the basic philosphy it's up to you whether you want to adapt the term. I use it because it's easy for reference when people ask, it's pretty self-explanatory because a lot of people I know use it [even if they aren't straight-edge.] For me if you claim the straight-edge or claim the x symbol or whatever I'd gather that you're someone who doesn't drink/smoke/do drugs etc There are variations but that's the general gist of what the sxe term means. I mean I guess it would be kinda wierd if you claimed it but didn't follow the general no drugs/alcohol. Oh yeah, I think [for me] that it's a personal choice but not one that should shun others for their decision not to be the same as myself. I respect other people's values/choices, as I'm sure the people above do as well, so I hope that answers your question. :]
*Sorry for the looonnng post*
Volt-Zorg Boy
Awake and Unafraid
Volt-Zorg Boy
September 1st, 2008 at 01:18pm
in general terms Emerald Muerte is right
straight edge normally pertains to not smoking / drinking / doing any type of recreational drugs
if you call yourself straight edge because you don't do any of that it's generally accepted that you are straight edge

people have taken straight edge to mean:
vegan
veggie
'all about the music' - that being hardcore
militant - the people who are beating drunks up for fun
abstaining from premiscous sex