Don't have an account? Create one!

Student/Teacher Relationships

AuthorMessage
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
January 27th, 2009 at 06:25pm
^^ but theres not exactly a way to prove maturity. You couldn't say "oh, you can have a relationship with a teacher because your mature" then turn round to the next student and tell them they couldn't.

Another point, How do you guys feel about student who meet up with a past teacher after they've left school? After the student has left and started college, or got a job ect..

Is it acceptable then? Im not quite sure how i feel about that so it'll be interesting to hear other peoples views.
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
January 27th, 2009 at 06:46pm
I thought I was mature at 15. I wasn't.
The fact remains a teacher who has a relationship with one of their pupils is totally abusing the trust placed in them. I wonder if peoples views would be the same if the teacher was a ugly hairy smelly old teacher lusting after a student rather than a fit young pe type teacher?

As for relationships after they left school? It's a totally different ball game then, because they have left school, the student is on longer under their care and the law is not against them. What happens then is different. The whole issue with the situation is the 'parent in school' part of being a teacher. Once that element is removed by the student leaving school, the rules change.
demon dean
Always Born a Crime
demon dean
January 27th, 2009 at 06:53pm
Alan Carr:
^^ but theres not exactly a way to prove maturity. You couldn't say "oh, you can have a relationship with a teacher because your mature" then turn round to the next student and tell them they couldn't.

Another point, How do you guys feel about student who meet up with a past teacher after they've left school? After the student has left and started college, or got a job ect..

Is it acceptable then? Im not quite sure how i feel about that so it'll be interesting to hear other peoples views.

i wasn't saying it was a way to prove that the teen was mature. i'm saying that there are teens that could handle it.

i think that once a student has left the school, and wants to persue a relationship, then it's more acceptable.
there is no longer the duty for the teacher to teach that student, aswell as the student being of leagal status.
i don't have a problem with it.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
January 28th, 2009 at 10:02am
lackluster memories;:
but, there are cases where the student pressures the teacher into the relationship, using blackmail, etc. and the student is then portrayed as the victim.
It doesn't make any difference WHAT the student did. The teacher (and actually any adult) is supposed to know better. Minors are illegal, that is it. Feelings have nothing to do with the matter. Professors are not supposed to date their students, either, because it's a conflict of interest, however, it's not illegal.
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
February 2nd, 2009 at 08:00am
Alan Carr:

Well, personally, I think it depends.

If the student/teacher thinks "Hey! I'm out of school so it must be okay!" then no.
Just because they are both outside of school, doesn't mean that they can instantly pursue a relationship.
Bah. I'm really not explaining this right. >_<
What I mean is, that if two people meet outside in a neutral area and they take in interest in each other, one being the student and one being the teacher, then it's okay.
Basically, the (ex?) student should not pursue a relationship with the teacher just because it is a teacher. Or just because the student is a student.

I know, I didn't it explain it well. But do you get the gist of what I'm saying? Smile