Don't have an account? Create one!

Magic, Magick, Ghosts & the Supernatural

AuthorMessage
Diana_a7x
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Diana_a7x
November 14th, 2007 at 01:31am
Can you still be a catholic and be studying wicca?
TakeMyFuckingHand101
Fabulous Killjoy
TakeMyFuckingHand101
November 14th, 2007 at 10:48am
Should it matter?
genresR4losers
Motor Baby
genresR4losers
November 15th, 2007 at 06:03pm
Diana_a7x:
Can you still be a catholic and be studying wicca?

Traditionallly, no. that's why i stepped away from the Church for a while. However, if you look carefully into the doctrine of Catholocism, it states that there are only two major beliefs that one must hold to and still be Catholic. And the only thing that studying wicca intereferes with is the first commandment, which isn't one of those beliefs.

The thing that keeps me believing that spirits and things of that nature are real, is that Catholocism never denied their existence. Sure, the church teaches that it's wrong to go out and actively seek interactions with them, but they never said that they weren't real.

oh, and if there are any other questions about catholocism, just pm me... i'll be happy to answer them.
Beeblebrox
Really Not Okay
Beeblebrox
November 15th, 2007 at 07:35pm
I'm not a scholar by any means, but doesn't the Catholic church believe in the holy spirit (c'mon, that's a ghost). And what about in the bible, 1 Samuel 28:7-19, King Saul seeks a woman with a familiar spirit (demon) to inquire of Samuel about what to do. That she actually manages to communicate with the dead shocks her indicating to me that it did not previously happen. So, I would say that Christianity allows belief in ghosts, witches and demons, however they seem to discourage communication with them.
genresR4losers
Motor Baby
genresR4losers
November 15th, 2007 at 08:37pm
^that's exactly right. the Church never denied the existence of spirits. They just pointed out that participating in rituals and ceremonies in order to communicate with such spirits breaks the first commandment. that's why it's frowned upon for the most part.

then again, it depends on who you talk to in Christianity. Some Christians don't believe in spirits at all... besides the fact that they belive in the Holy Spirit. Others, like myself, are what one would refer to as radicals, and we believe that spirits are out there, and that sometimes they actively seek you instead of the other way around.
Diana_a7x
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Diana_a7x
November 15th, 2007 at 11:16pm
So you really can but you aren't to be seen at church ever again?
Beeblebrox
Really Not Okay
Beeblebrox
November 15th, 2007 at 11:26pm
I think if you're instincts are pointing you towards believing in spirits but you're having conflicts with your religion, then maybe it's time to sit down and re evaluate your religion. Maybe the one you were raised up with isn't the one you agree with, and maybe by questioning a few things, like ghosts and etc. you can find a better sense of spirituality for yourself.
Diana_a7x
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Diana_a7x
November 16th, 2007 at 12:45am
And you're saying I should get more into my religion?
Star Ashes
Fabulous Killjoy
Star Ashes
November 16th, 2007 at 10:26am
magic is a strange thing. yet awsome...... t makes people think. and believe.... not in magic.... in themselves... i know that sound odd but its true.... just think....
SicTransitGloria
Bleeding on the Floor
SicTransitGloria
November 16th, 2007 at 05:54pm
The Supernatural has always intruiged me more than anything.
Here's an extract I found in a book I read. See what you think of it.

"Every place and time has had vampires, going back to the earliest times:
all across Europe, Assyria, ancient Ireland, Russia, Hungary, Transylvania, Greece, India, China, Java etc."

I don't know about you, but I think that there might be something more than just us out there. If it's so easy to believe that seals and killer whales, or worms and birds, were created together... well, why shouldn't that apply to us as well?
I also would like to think that there was once a kind of magick that lived in the earth itself... the power of everything as one harmonised system. I don't think it was God. I think it was something far deeper and more earthly, but as time has sped on we have overcome ourselves with our modernity.
Anyone else think there might be some factual proof/truth behind the myths?
Kid__
Always Born a Crime
Kid__
November 16th, 2007 at 11:59pm
emotasticvampirekid:
The Supernatural has always intruiged me more than anything.
Here's an extract I found in a book I read. See what you think of it.

"Every place and time has had vampires, going back to the earliest times:
all across Europe, Assyria, ancient Ireland, Russia, Hungary, Transylvania, Greece, India, China, Java etc."

I don't know about you, but I think that there might be something more than just us out there. If it's so easy to believe that seals and killer whales, or worms and birds, were created together... well, why shouldn't that apply to us as well?
I also would like to think that there was once a kind of magick that lived in the earth itself... the power of everything as one harmonised system. I don't think it was God. I think it was something far deeper and more earthly, but as time has sped on we have overcome ourselves with our modernity.
Anyone else think there might be some factual proof/truth behind the myths?

I doubt any of the myths about vampires or the Loch Ness monster and other things like that are really true. It's more likely an old story that's gotten out of control.
Something like someone saw a giant eel in Loch Ness originally, which over time became a huge dinosaur-like Nessie monster. Y'know?
But it's got to be based on some sort of truth or story to begin with. Legends don't come from nowhere.

I dunno, I think of magick not as an actual thing, but more of a power of the human mind.
It's not something that you can control, but you can influence it, if you know what I mean.
Diana_a7x
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Diana_a7x
November 17th, 2007 at 12:01am
So you're typing that humans can control magick?
I thought it was all about nature...which no one can control..
Kid__
Always Born a Crime
Kid__
November 17th, 2007 at 12:13am
No, I'm saying you can influence it by using positive thinking if you are attuned to nature.
At least that's what I think.
Beeblebrox
Really Not Okay
Beeblebrox
November 17th, 2007 at 01:13am
Diana_a7x:
And you're saying I should get more into my religion?

No, I'm suggesting that if you have interests outside your religion (like ghosts or wicca), that maybe you should re-examine what you really believe and see if that matches with what you think your religion is. If it doesn't match, then maybe consider doing a little soul searching. You might find your life heading in a new direction, somewhere outside that religion.
Diana_a7x
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Diana_a7x
November 17th, 2007 at 01:18am
Oh okay thanks, I feel stupid for not thinking about that..0_o
SicTransitGloria
Bleeding on the Floor
SicTransitGloria
November 17th, 2007 at 03:18pm
The human mind is something that's always confused me so much. This is related to magick, so don't rip it out of me for asking on this thread, but:

Do you ever feel as though there is something lodged into your mind that is completely barred from the concious part of your brain? We only use a small percentage of our brains most of the time...
What if there's some deeper, implanted magick, or force, or even intelligence/ability that none of us knew we had? How could minds as seemingly simple as ours invent things like magick in the first place?
Do you ever feel lost inside the expanse of your own mind, lost inside yourself? Because even though I inhabit my own skin, my own thoughts, I still feel a stranger to them because there is part of me that I know I can never comprehend. It's far too complex. It's also the reason for most of my teenage angst, or whatever our parents call it these days.

I think far too much...
Girl Anachronism
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Girl Anachronism
November 17th, 2007 at 05:53pm
emotasticvampirekid:
The human mind is something that's always confused me so much. This is related to magick, so don't rip it out of me for asking on this thread, but:

Do you ever feel as though there is something lodged into your mind that is completely barred from the concious part of your brain? We only use a small percentage of our brains most of the time...
What if there's some deeper, implanted magick, or force, or even intelligence/ability that none of us knew we had? How could minds as seemingly simple as ours invent things like magick in the first place?
Do you ever feel lost inside the expanse of your own mind, lost inside yourself? Because even though I inhabit my own skin, my own thoughts, I still feel a stranger to them because there is part of me that I know I can never comprehend. It's far too complex. It's also the reason for most of my teenage angst, or whatever our parents call it these days.

I think far too much...
Wow. I like that theory. lol. *aggrees with it*
Diana_a7x
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Diana_a7x
November 17th, 2007 at 08:11pm
I've that the same aswell.
Well..I am still thinking...*Agrees aswell*
TakeMyFuckingHand101
Fabulous Killjoy
TakeMyFuckingHand101
November 20th, 2007 at 11:02am
Diana_a7x:
So you're typing that humans can control magick?
I thought it was all about nature...which no one can control..

You can't control nature at all.
However you can bend it to your will hence Magic(K)!
You don't GET nature to do something for you, you ASK and the God (If your a bloke) or the Godess (if your a lass) will grant you your wish if he or she deems fit.
However if you Hex someone thats working against Nature and you'll be punished 3x as bead hence you threefold.
For worse crimes againt nature you could even be punished via your tenfold.
Be warned you will be punished, there is no escaping nature and its will.
Green Faerie
Salute You in Your Grave
Green Faerie
November 28th, 2007 at 03:00am
I feel the need to post that there are so many varieties of people who would say that they practice witchcraft or magick. In my opinion because of the lack of 'one sacred text' everybody has a different concept of where it started and where the power comes from. I try not to tie myself down with the rules and guidelines I read in books, as they are just another person's opinion. I say that I am Wiccan, because I follow the threefold law. Although mostly the only other rules I follow come from my own conscience. I mostly work with Greek gods and goddesses, because those are the ones I connected with when I was a child. I don't 'cast' very often because I don't often feel the need to. I think the spell I use most often is one to find lost objects because I am constantly misplacing things. Smile But other than that I don't need to. Although it can be a great feeling.

If anyone would like to ask me any questions about my perception of magick and/ or Wicca, feel free. But I will stress that it is only my personal opinion and will probobly differ from other people's.

xxx