Don't have an account? Create one!

Smashing Pumpkins

AuthorMessage
Fireplug.
Salute You in Your Grave
Fireplug.
September 30th, 2007 at 05:25am
maryaxe:
if you're looking for any good forums, you won't find any.
There's Netphoria, but I don't wish them upon anyone. They used to be really funny, but now they're just bitter douchebags who think it's really fun to hate on the band.
There's Blamo, but well....just don't go there.

and that's about it. Maybe some minor forums on fan sites, but nothing worth really bothering with.

Interviews...oh man there's so many. You should seriously be able to put Smashing Pumpkins interviews into Google and get a ton of results. Billy did an interview with Risen magazine a couple years ago that was really great. If I have the transcript of it still, I'll post it.
Billy usually comes across really weird in interviews. But the one in Risen is so....him. It's not pretentious, it's not arrogant, it's kind of funny. The magazine is sort of geared towards religion and spirituality, but they don't talk about it too much.

And 19 more days until I see them again!! cow cow
Okay!
Thanks.
XD
I hope you can find that interview...
Fireplug.
Salute You in Your Grave
Fireplug.
September 30th, 2007 at 06:02am
Is all this completely different now?

I’m not romantic about the notion of "selling out." People who are not in your position deciding what is and isn’t selling out I always thought was a crock of s---. The song I wrote, "Today," which ended up being a pretty big song—that song literally saved my life. I was completely suicidal, and I wrote that song in a cold bedroom on a day where it was like, "I’m either going to kill myself today, or I’m going to live because I’m sick of thinking about this." When I played it, it was an intense, extreme feeling. Last year, I was offered heavy, heavy money to license that song. I actually turned down two huge, huge, seven-figure-plus deals last year for two songs.

For "Today" and for which other song?

"Tonight, Tonight." That’s a fundamentally difficult position to be in. At this point, it’s just free money. Song’s already been played. It’s been exploited. The record company’s literally begging me: go ahead and take these commercials. At this point in my life, I don’t feel comfortable. Those songs are the reason I’m alive. If your music is not sacred to the point where it’s a really, really, really heavy decision about whether or not you would allow somebody else to exploit it, then what’s not for sale? For a long time there was this dream that you could hit this utopian point The Beatles hit. "All you need is love." You’d write that song that would change the world. That seems to have gotten lost. Now songs are just vehicles for personality. The song is not the sacred thing anymore.

^ I liked that interview.
That part especially reminded me about MCR though.
x.x
According to Billy Corgan, MCR "sold out" when they sold their songs to those fucking TV shows.
Fatal Madonna.
Shotgun Sinner
Fatal Madonna.
October 1st, 2007 at 09:23pm
PUMPKINS SIMPSONS EPISODE WAS ONE TODAY.

I always get excited when it's been on.

I like this interview type thing:
Meagan.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Meagan.
October 3rd, 2007 at 02:20pm
I wish Smashing Pumpkins would be at Big Day Out 2008 Sad.
social ghost.
Motor Baby
social ghost.
October 4th, 2007 at 01:31am
Um, they played Today on Journeyman on Monday night.
collateral damage.
Awake and Unafraid
collateral damage.
October 17th, 2007 at 06:05pm
I'm seeing them tomorrow :D
Fireplug.
Salute You in Your Grave
Fireplug.
October 22nd, 2007 at 05:45pm
Ahhh this thread is always dead. x.x
I'm seeing them on Thursday!
Do they ever do meet and greets?

I wanna know if I should wait or not. O.o
maryaxe
Joining The Black Parade
maryaxe
October 24th, 2007 at 06:18pm
Wow so the 4 nights in Philly were SO fun. Billy was in an awesome mood and it was so good to see everyone again. I'll talk more about it on Friday when I don't work in the afternoon.

And yes, hang around. Billy comes out and talks with fans almost every night after shows. Unless he's had a bad night or isn't feeling well.
Fatal Madonna.
Shotgun Sinner
Fatal Madonna.
October 25th, 2007 at 09:05pm
yay Angie, Pumpkins stories =]
mirarle
Thinking Happy Thoughts
mirarle
October 26th, 2007 at 08:26pm
Angie---friday. *waiting* I haven't been on here a while. >_>

I was reading Blender the other day and it had Billy Corgan as #39 out of 40 worst lyrcist. There was so many other lyricists I can think of that are so horrible...and they got Billy. >:[
Fatal Madonna.
Shotgun Sinner
Fatal Madonna.
October 27th, 2007 at 05:00pm
WHY CAN'T THERE BE BEST BUY'S OVER HERE?!

worst lyricist?! are they stupid?!
maryaxe
Joining The Black Parade
maryaxe
October 27th, 2007 at 07:10pm
sorry I didn't have a chance to reply yesterday. My body is all sorts of weirded out because of lack of sleep, slowly getting sick and other, um, female issues. Wink

Anyway. Pumpkins! Philadelphia! totally awesome.

The shows were amazing. Some of the stuff we heard were things I've wanted to hear for years. Where Boys Fear To Tread, Set The Ray To Jerry (!!!), Let Me Give The World To You, and then Superchrist, Pomp and Circumstances, Bring The Light. And they brought back some stuff they hadn't played for a while, Rotten Apples, Starz, Bleeding the Orchid...
I was very pleased with the setlists and the length of the shows. Billy was in an amazing mood on Sunday and Monday (the second and third shows)
Sunday night was arguably one of the best shows of the tour. The energy was incredible. And luckily, the whole thing was professionally taped for DVD.

The crowds were a little on the lame side. But I think after Asheville, anything would seem lame. Lots of people who were there probably just for the sake of being there. But there were a lot of good people around us as well. And I got to see a lot of my Pumpkins friends. Some of them I only see once or twice every couple years. So it's awesome to spend any time with them.

After the Friday show, we waited outside to see who came out. Billy did but there were so many people, we couldn't get within a reasonable distance to talk to him without yelling. He made his way over to our side. When he looked up and I knew I had caught his eye, I waved and said Hi Billy! He smiled, pointed at me and says "oh hey, there you are! how have you been?"
I think I died a little. LOL
We had made the band a gift basket, our way of saying thanks for how much fun we had so far this year. My friend and I each made things for them, which included her making these little cartoons of each of them and setting them up in the basket so it was like the way they stood on stage. It was a huge hit with them and they all took pictures of it before they took their gifts from it. I had taken photos of everything before we gave it to them. Maybe I'll post them.
Billy didn't get to actually say thanks, due to some girl who would NOT shut up and let him speak. But he looked over at us, nodded and winked. Jeff came outside to thank us and Ginger showed me from the van that she was wearing the gift I made her. So it was really awesome to know that they really liked what we made for them, because every gift in there was handmade. Even the card.

Oh and if they haven't toured your town yet....don't worry. I can't give any details, but there should be more dates coming in the near future.
Fatal Madonna.
Shotgun Sinner
Fatal Madonna.
October 27th, 2007 at 11:54pm
awh man, the way he said there you are sounds like he was looking for you!

bet'cha they're not going to Belfast though.
mirarle
Thinking Happy Thoughts
mirarle
October 30th, 2007 at 07:42pm
maryaxe:

Anyway. Pumpkins! Philadelphia! totally awesome.

OOh, awesome! Wow, it's like they expect you to be at the shows half the time. They'd probably be worried if you weren't there! Very Happy
Post the pictures of the gift basket, I wanna see!
MCRxDemon
Fabulous Killjoy
MCRxDemon
November 5th, 2007 at 08:10am
tonight tonight
Smashed Pumpkin
Salute You in Your Grave
Smashed Pumpkin
November 5th, 2007 at 08:59am
Does anyone know if they'll be touring Australia anytime soon?
Fatal Madonna.
Shotgun Sinner
Fatal Madonna.
November 5th, 2007 at 01:17pm
they only have dates up until November 18th up, sorry!
maryaxe
Joining The Black Parade
maryaxe
November 17th, 2007 at 03:39pm
Fatal Madonna.:
awh man, the way he said there you are sounds like he was looking for you!

bet'cha they're not going to Belfast though.

Sun 2/10 - Belfast, N. Ireland - Kings Hall

Wink
maryaxe
Joining The Black Parade
maryaxe
November 17th, 2007 at 03:40pm
Smashed Pumpkin:
Does anyone know if they'll be touring Australia anytime soon?

possibly April 2008
yep
Ghost in the Snow
yep
November 21st, 2007 at 11:38am
The Smashing Pumpkins owns Very Happy

Anyone who knows if they're coming Scandinavia anytime?