Don't have an account? Create one!

Heaven Help Us

AuthorMessage
Roxx my Soxx
Bleeding on the Floor
Roxx my Soxx
January 9th, 2007 at 09:25am
I'm actually listening to this song right now. And it's on repeat... XD

But anyways, I have two theories. One of which has already been stated but I'm going to phrase it in my own words... I think that this song is of him trying to hold strong in his faith. It could mean that he's like "Oh God. I want to believe but how can I with everything you've put me through?" He's kinda blaming God for his sins and wrong-doings. Hence the entire concept of the song. He is begging and pleading for Heaven (a metaphor which represents God or Jesus) to help him. And at the same time he has resentment. Hence "Come crashing down." Instead of saying "Come down" he says "Come crashing down" as if to say "Crash and burn. Fall, I want you to feel the pain I'm feeling."

Secondly, (this is kind of a stretch but) I think he could be coming from the point of view of Jesus. Kind of like a modern day messiah. I think this because it seems like a plea from Jesus. "The angels come screaming" is an allusion to the Bible. When they were about to crucify Jesus, God told him that all he had to do was say the word and God would send down the angels to destroy the world and stop the sacrifice. Also the lyrics "And make a saint of me. 'Cause I'll give you all the nails you need," It's like Jesus saying "Make a saint of me by killing me for what I believe in. For being a martyr." He's also saying "Kill me because I'm trying to save you from and of your sins." "I hear you've been pleading someone save us" can represent his understanding of the world's need and want to be saved. "But I can't tell if I've been breathing or sleeping or screaming or waiting for the man to call and maybe all of the above. 'Cause mostly I've been sprawled on these cathedral steps while spitting out the blood and screaming someone save us." I preceive that as Jesus right before he is about to go on the walk to his death. He is delusional and he can't tell what exactly is going on. "The man" is his father, God. He is being constantly beaten and when he falls (lets say he fell on some church steps) as he is holding the cross on his back he is spitting out blood and screaming in pain to God. "Someone save us." And when he says "You don't know a thing about my sins or how the misery begins. You don't know." This is saying "You think I have sinned but I am pure. You don't know how much pain and misery you are putting me through right now. But it's all for you." And when he says "So I'm burning. I'm burning," it's when after Jesus died and went to hell to get a key from Satan. That's why it towards the end of the song because the song tells a story in chronological order.

My knowledge of the Bible helped me a lot with my interpretation of this song. This is one of the only songs that I can actually visualize...
But that just what I think...
Harry Cuban
Killjoy
Harry Cuban
January 9th, 2007 at 10:25pm
After thinking about this song, it seemed to me that Gerard is fustrated at were is faith has gotten him. He feels that everytime he tries to have faith, his prayers are not answered, which hurts him.

"And at this old hotel
But I can’t tell if I’ve been breathing or sleeping or screaming or waiting
For the man to call or maybe
All of the above
Cause mostly I’ve been sprawled on these cathedral steps
While spitting out the blood and screaming
Someone save us..."

The fact that he, in a way, gets rejected when he prays hurts him more than the personal struggles he has gone through.

"Wipe away those tears of blood again
And the punch line to the joke is asking
Someone save us..."

No one has saved them. No one answered his prayers. His sadness turns into anger.

"So I’m burning, I’m burning, I’m burning, I’m burning"
we're pretty. odd.
Always Born a Crime
we're pretty. odd.
January 10th, 2007 at 12:01am
I just listened to this song for the first time... and I'm crying. It's such a beautiful song, it should have been on the album as well.

As for my thoughts on the meaning, I agree with most of you. ^_^
Quinn.
Bleeding on the Floor
Quinn.
January 18th, 2007 at 02:02am
it is a very beautiful song. i love it.

i think what everyone says about questioning god and religion is absolutely right. i also think its saying us as people, have brought on problems for ourselves and do things we know we shouldnt do...but when it all goes wrong...we end up turning to the heavens and asking "god" for help. like when he says:
"sprawled on these cathedral steps while spitting out the blood and screaming, someone save us". this bit makes me think about war. how everyones dying and people suddenly scream "someone save us" when really, people started the war themselves. if that makes sense.
also when he says:
"and the punch line to the joke is asking, someone save us"

and because it says "someone" save us, it questions god and if his really there. this song really gets to me. the first time i heard it, i cried. this is probably my favourite MCR song ever...and its only a B-side to their single.
Jeanne Paulin.
Shotgun Sinner
Jeanne Paulin.
January 18th, 2007 at 02:48am
good thoughts, guys.
i'm having a hard time realizing/ understanding songs.
i suck at life.
temporary wounds
Killjoy
temporary wounds
January 19th, 2007 at 10:30am
Realising and understanding songs isn't something you can be bad at. Just listen to it and make up your own mind about what it means to you
Disgusting
Bleeding on the Floor
Disgusting
January 19th, 2007 at 11:09pm
I think its that he belives hes being punished for all his sins.
Inertiatic Esp.
Bleeding on the Floor
Inertiatic Esp.
January 20th, 2007 at 01:04am
well the first time i heard it i cried because I felt I could relate

i felt that it was questioning heaven and its creator just like I do
XxXfearpansyXxX
Fabulous Killjoy
XxXfearpansyXxX
January 22nd, 2007 at 12:04am
I think it's about woundering if heaven is real or not.
And if he would go to heaven or not.
madame angst
Salute You in Your Grave
madame angst
January 24th, 2007 at 10:40pm
suzi; bitchcakes.:

Cause I'll give you all the nails you need. ("Go ahead Jesus, be crucified." )

Crucifixion [ombsp?] can also represent starting over. I don't know if that makes sense [seeing as my vocabulary is fairly small] but it's like a reincarnation type of thing. Except you don't turn into anything. Laughing
I suck at explaining.
T__T

But it also fits in at the moment, because they probably wrote that song after Revenge/prior to Black Parade and that's still when they wanted to change [or something like that.] In fact, "The End." is about leaving the "scene". It's literally the end.
;]
Jeffree Star
Motor Baby
Jeffree Star
January 25th, 2007 at 11:47am
This is what I think either they want to establish a religous relationship or they just want to forget it. IDK that's what I think.
Tragic.
Banned
Tragic.
January 25th, 2007 at 02:12pm
Ville Mo:
You guys are good at this, and I agree with you. Both of the theories(sp?) that have been sugested. That he is asking if there is a God out there and if heaven really excists and that it's sort of a call out to the world, if you get me. That he's saying that we need help, cause the world's so fucked up.

eeeeeeexactly.
technicolor.
Demolition Lover
technicolor.
February 2nd, 2007 at 04:31pm
i think this song is about asking for forgiveness for all your sins and asking for help from God.
newsgirl
Killjoy
newsgirl
February 3rd, 2007 at 04:03pm
H e l e n a:
Gerard wants to be saved, but every time the thought enters his mind...he doesn't want to change. He is so used to what he has become, that he's afraid. I believe that God will someday help MCR find the truth. It may be the day before they die, but as long as they know the truth..there is nothing be be afraid of. I have actually prayed for them to find God. I know it sounds stupid, but I believe that they deserve immortal life in heaven, like we all do.

i think that that is a BEAUTIFUL idea...i know what you mean and i totally agree. i have prayed for them to find God also...gosh, what an even bigger influence they could have on people then... and the good thing would be that they wouldn't shove Christianity down people's throats but they would be a fantastic influence on everyone
Jeffree Star
Motor Baby
Jeffree Star
February 14th, 2007 at 11:49am
newsgirl:
H e l e n a:
Gerard wants to be saved, but every time the thought enters his mind...he doesn't want to change. He is so used to what he has become, that he's afraid. I believe that God will someday help MCR find the truth. It may be the day before they die, but as long as they know the truth..there is nothing be be afraid of. I have actually prayed for them to find God. I know it sounds stupid, but I believe that they deserve immortal life in heaven, like we all do.

i think that that is a BEAUTIFUL idea...i know what you mean and i totally agree. i have prayed for them to find God also...gosh, what an even bigger influence they could have on people then... and the good thing would be that they wouldn't shove Christianity down people's throats but they would be a fantastic influence on everyone

That would be so Beautiful. To find God is so cool
Ashley_Fatality
Killjoy
Ashley_Fatality
February 17th, 2007 at 04:12pm
i think its about someone or people pretty much in a sucky situation where they know they are going to die and they are praying for life ...........
hungryhungryhiba
Killjoy
hungryhungryhiba
February 23rd, 2007 at 06:38pm
i pretty much agree with everything here.
i dunno, personally i feel nd have noticed that whenever things get bad, for me as well as what i've seen, people turn to religion.
i guess they do it in hopes that things might get better, they just need an escape and a little hope. even if they don't really know their stance on religion.
AVENGE ME.
Joining The Black Parade
AVENGE ME.
February 26th, 2007 at 09:35pm
I think that it is about a person who has made some bad choices and is now paying for it by suffering. that person is pushed away by people on earth and is turning to God for help. "Cause mostly I've been sprawled on these cathedral steps while spitting out the blood and screaming, Someone save us!"

I think that this song can be used as a metaphore for the people who are turned away from the catholic church. One example is homosexual people, Catholics are the biggest homophobes ever and dont accept them, so if gays cant go to church because of ignorant people they have to pray and practice religion on their own time. And sometimes im sure they get harrassed so much they say to themselves "Heaven Help Us"

A second example is how Africans were treated by catholics. they used to be slaves and treated like dirt "I heard you've been bleeding make your choice they say you've been pleeding" They were very religious though and prayed to God to help them (they used to make up lots of religious songs) With their suffering they too were thinking "Heaven Help Us"

Now I know My Chem were not thinking of these things when they wrote the song. They are just examples of what I think the song is trying to say....even the holy-est people on earth may turn you a away when you are believed to be a sinner or wrong and sometimes all you can do is call out to God himself when everyone else stops listening "Can't tell if I've been breathing or sleeping or screaming or waiting for the man to call. And maybe all of the above"
Rhys Webb
Awake and Unafraid
Rhys Webb
February 26th, 2007 at 10:50pm
i think it is about someone who has lost a lot of faith over the years, but then something bad happens and realize that just using themself as shpulder to cry on doesn't help the person at all. so, they turn to a "supreme being" // "I've been sitting on these cathedral steps while spitting out the blood and screaming" for some kind of guidance on the issue they are having at the moment.
Into The Ocean
Killjoy
Into The Ocean
March 1st, 2007 at 05:24pm
Iero Love:
i think it is about someone who has lost a lot of faith over the years, but then something bad happens and realize that just using themself as shpulder to cry on doesn't help the person at all. so, they turn to a "supreme being" // "I've been sitting on these cathedral steps while spitting out the blood and screaming" for some kind of guidance on the issue they are having at the moment.
I agree with you all,its mostly a struggle about him and his sins and it sounds like he's about to die.
thats what i think.