Don't have an account? Create one!

Heaven Help Us

AuthorMessage
Cloud Strife.
Banned
Cloud Strife.
August 15th, 2007 at 07:27am
It's not necessarily a song about religion or something.

It's definitely about having a problem and asking God for help.
morgyleigh_way17
Killjoy
morgyleigh_way17
August 18th, 2007 at 10:41pm
~~~"Hear the sound
The angels come screaming
Down your voice
I hear you've been bleeding"~~~

"Make your choice
They say you've been pleading
Someone save us"

---gerard is saying, make your choice to be religious or not. when he is saying "they say you've been pleading", he is saying you have been praying for forgivness from god.

"Heaven help us now
Come crashing down
We'll hear the sound
As you're falling down"

----"come crashing down" is gerard sorta saying "come down, and wash away my sins"

"I'm at this old hotel
But can't tell if I've been breathing or sleeping
Or screaming or waiting for the man to call
And maybe all of the above
Cause mostly I've been sprawled on these cathedral steps
While spitting out the blood and screaming
"Someone save us!""
----"i'm at this old hotel" is him being stuck with his sin, and grief. and his sin has gotten to the point were he doesnt know what he is doing anymore.(breathing sleeping. etc.) hes waiting for god (the man) to call his name to redemption. he has been waiting and waiting, and suffering, for god to come and save him.

Heaven help us now
Come crashing down
We'll hear the sound
As you're falling down

"And will you pray for me?
Or make a saint of me?
And will you lay for me?
Or make a saint of?"
----will someone pray for them (my chemical romance). will god save them. "and will you lay for me" is gerard saying "god, will or did you die for me. and save me from me going to hell and perishing forever.

"Cause I'll give you all the nails you need
Cover me in gasoline
Wipe away those tears of blood again
And the punchline to the joke is asking
Someone save us"

-----in gerard saying "i'll give you all the nails you need" he is saying "god, will you die for me, i'll give you what ever you need from me." and him saying "cover me in gasoline" he is asking god to save him, and burn away his sinful past. "wipe away the tears of blood..."--wipe away the sin i've caused and done. the last to lines are saying, "is god a joke? is this whole being saved a joke?" and its gerard questioning gods existance.

Heaven help us now
Come crashing down
We'll hear the sound
As you fall

And would you pray for me?
(You don't know a thing about my sins
How the misery begins)
Or make a saint of me?
(You don't know
So I'm burning, I'm burning)
And will you lay for me?
How the misery begins)
Or make a saint?
(You don't know
Cause I'm burning, I'm burning)
----hes saying nobody knows his past sins, and regrets, but god does. "you don't know so i'm burning, i'm burning"--gerard thinks he is going to burn in hell, because he hasnt been saved by the grace of god.

Cause I'll give you all the nails you need
(I'm burning, I'm burning again)
Cover me in gasoline again
---in the 2nd and 3rd line, when "again" is used, is saying he has been through this all, but something bad happens and he loses his faith.
UnlucKyneSss
Killjoy
UnlucKyneSss
August 22nd, 2007 at 05:37pm
i think its that hes afraid of death ... it comes in many forms (the black parade) and hes worried that one day hes gonna die and be lost ... he wants to be accepted (into heaven) by people (and god) but he doesnt want to change he wants to be the same old gerard ... hes afraid of rejection basically
Angel of the Lord
Killjoy
Angel of the Lord
August 22nd, 2007 at 10:43pm
I never thought of Gerard being afraid of death, since its his current obsession. You brought out a good point.
cka1992
Killjoy
cka1992
August 24th, 2007 at 06:44pm
I agree..thats what i think he's talking about to..and if its not what he's talking about..then he had me fooled cause thats what it sounds like..I read a magazine with an interveiw with Gerard and he said(quote) : I believe in God,I beleive in that stuff i dont think that were able to do what we do if we dont have faith in something) so thats what i think the songs about too.
iluvmcr90
Killjoy
iluvmcr90
August 28th, 2007 at 10:19pm
i think this song is basically about sumone needing help cause of the tittle heaven help us well neways this is a really good song Laughing
iluvmcr90
Killjoy
iluvmcr90
August 28th, 2007 at 10:22pm
morgyleigh_way17:
~~~"Hear the sound
The angels come screaming
Down your voice
I hear you've been bleeding"~~~

"Make your choice
They say you've been pleading
Someone save us"

---gerard is saying, make your choice to be religious or not. when he is saying "they say you've been pleading", he is saying you have been praying for forgivness from god.

"Heaven help us now
Come crashing down
We'll hear the sound
As you're falling down"

----"come crashing down" is gerard sorta saying "come down, and wash away my sins"

"I'm at this old hotel
"Someone save us!""
----"i'm at this old hotel" is him being stuck with his sin, and grief. and his sin has gotten to the point were he doesnt know what he is doing anymore.(breathing sleeping. etc.) hes waiting for god (the man) to call his name to redemption. he has been waiting and waiting, and suffering, for god to come and save him.

Heaven help us now
Come crashing down
We'll hear the sound
As you're falling down

"And will you pray for me?
Or make a saint of me?
And will you lay for me?
Or make a saint of?"
----will someone pray for them (my chemical romance). will god save them. "and will you lay for me" is gerard saying "god, will or did you die for me. and save me from me going to hell and perishing forever.

"Cause I'll give you all the nails you need
Cover me in gasoline
Wipe away those tears of blood again
And the punchline to the joke is asking
Someone save us"

-----in gerard saying "i'll give you all the nails you need" he is saying "god, will you die for me, i'll give you what ever you need from me." and him saying "cover me in gasoline" he is asking god to save him, and burn away his sinful past. "wipe away the tears of blood..."--wipe away the sin i've caused and done. the last to lines are saying, "is god a joke? is this whole being saved a joke?" and its gerard questioning gods existance.

Heaven help us now
Come crashing down
We'll hear the sound
As you fall

And would you pray for me?
How the misery begins)
Or make a saint of me?
(You don't know
So I'm burning, I'm burning)
And will you lay for me?
How the misery begins)
Or make a saint?
(You don't know
Cause I'm burning, I'm burning)
----hes saying nobody knows his past sins, and regrets, but god does. "you don't know so i'm burning, i'm burning"--gerard thinks he is going to burn in hell, because he hasnt been saved by the grace of god.

Cause I'll give you all the nails you need
(I'm burning, I'm burning again)
Cover me in gasoline again
---in the 2nd and 3rd line, when "again" is used, is saying he has been through this all, but something bad happens and he loses his faith.
i really agree with this
MyChemFan05
Killjoy
MyChemFan05
September 7th, 2007 at 04:31am
Ok basically its this:

I hear you've been bleeding *your in trouble*
They say you've been pleading, someone save us *your in trouble*

Heaven help us* we need help*

and will you pray for me *are you going to try to help me*
or make a saint of me? *or are you just going to try to make me perfect*

Cause i'll give you all the nails you need * to help save me*
Cover me in gasoline *but if you won't help then you might as well just burn me
like a heretic like they did hundreds of years ago*

How the misery begins) *self explanitory)

ya so basically they need help and all ppl are doing to help them is pretty much nothing, they are just judging them and trying to make them perfect, and if you do that then you might as well give up and burn them cause they are never gonna be perfect...well thats what i got
Lady Deathstrike
Killjoy
Lady Deathstrike
September 8th, 2007 at 02:21am
I actually doubt this has anything to do with religion considering gerard isnt very religious; I think he uses religion and god as a metaphor. This is song is confusing though because when he says will you make a saint of me? and will you lay for me? it sounds like he's asking a girl if she'll see him in that praising sort of way and---lay down for him. kinky Smile . And it just sounds like he's making all sorts of bad decisions and seeing himself in that misery realising what he's put himself through and pleading to anyone for help. The punchline to the joke is asking "someone save us" because he's inflicted the pain upon himself. It also makes some sense when he's saying "will you make a saint of me? because I'll give you all he nails you need" he means it like yea go ahead and make me into this iconic figure. The nails does reference jesus but he means it's like driving nails into him by making him out to be something greater than what he sees himself as.

It's basically about how we idolize these people so much and imagine them to be god-like when they're really just humans who make mistakes like the rest of us.
bubble_burst
Thinking Happy Thoughts
bubble_burst
September 26th, 2007 at 02:51pm
seeing as i couldn't be bothered to read back 5 pages and i don't have the time...

heres a brief summary of what i think the songs about....

to start with i kinda agree with ^^...

to me its about making the wrong choices in life... like trying to commit suicide...
at times when you feel so low and you feel theres no other way out, this person has hit that point... and they're saying to themselves, "how did it get so bad?, why am i doing this?" and asking for any way to get them out of the mess they've created...
like they can't physically ctop themselves, they're calling out for help, and when they get help they still find themselves struggling to deal with it... they still want to commit suicide and are asking people to either help them die, do it for them cos they can't carry on with failed attemps... or help them overcome the thoughts...

i don't think its directly linked to religion... just about asking for help in the hardest times and how getting through problems can be hard... the references to god don't necessarily have to be God... just someone to hear their problems and help
i think i've probably just repeated the same point over and over... but hopefull you get the idea

ok... after thinking some more i still think its about what i said... they are in a really deep hole in their life...

but i think theres two sides to the person... kinda like a conscience... both sides we can hear in the song

one half is saying "please someone get me out of this mess... ", he's feeling out of control and in some ways wants to do it, some ways wants to stop... but he's calling out for help to do either

"i can't tell if i've been breathing or sleeping or screaming or waiting for the man to call or maybe all of the above"
"mostly i've been sprawled on these cathedral steps
while spitting out the blood and screaming
heaven help us now"

but theres another side to the person... the one that seems to be winning, saying "just do it... do it now, what are you waiting for? if you want this so much do it!"

"make your choice, they say you've been pleading"
"And the punch line to the joke is asking
Someone save us"

this side of the conscience is kinda talking in a way in which its some sort of game, the person isn't really thinking about what they're doing, they're just doing it...
and this side of the conscience is kinda mocking the other pleading half saying "you don't really want this, do you?! you make all these threats but you're backing out and asking for help, you don't have the guts"

then at the end of the song you get the conflict of the two halves...
you have the menacing, pushy half singing the
"You don’t know a thing about my sins
How the misery begins
You don’t know
So I’m burning, I’m burning"

he's kinda saying that noone cares, so he's gonna do it, and noone will be bothered at all

then the pleading half is over-running this with the
"And would you pray for me
And make me say your name
And will you lay for me
And make a saint of me
‘Cause I’ll give you all the nails you need
Cover me in gasoline again"

he's saying, "if the worst happens/if you do this for me, remember me, think of the good things about me and i'll try to rest in peace"

both these conflicts end abruptly at the end...
and we don't know what the chosen outcome has been...
did they do it? did the pushing part of the conscience win over or did they manage to break free and get out of the mess...

i spose its like a story of how people could sometimes feel in the situation, and the outcome is uncertain
PTA
Killjoy
PTA
September 28th, 2007 at 08:46pm
well, whatever it is about they are awesome and if they are religious and have found God, thats just awesome. its like cool whip to pie.
Radio Saturday
Salute You in Your Grave
Radio Saturday
October 1st, 2007 at 06:12pm
I guess my interpretation is kind of different... I take it in a pretty strictly narrative sense.

The imagery in it, ("The angels come screaming down" etc.) strikes me as being less about wanting religion to save you than being terrified of the powers that be. Like in the movie "Constantine," the "angels" in the song aren't really things you want coming for you. It seems to me that the song is about a man who is trapped in a contract with a bad angel, because they have his girl/love interest (I'm open). She's being tortured and held by them until he does the things they want him to. (Maybe the opposite number of the guy from "3 Cheers"?) He's going crazy, trying to do this stuff and tell everyone that the angels are going to kill us all or something, and he's still trapped in this ugly life of killing for the good guys. "Heaven help us now" then becomes an ironic cry, because there is no way in hell that heaven will help him.

Also, to me, the part with, "Will you pray for me?" (etc.) and all the rest of it ("'Cause I'll give you all the nails you need..."Wink means less a saint in the traditional sense of the word than a saint as in, someone who dies spectacularly and still fighting, burned alive but screaming for what they believe. That's the kind of saint he wants to be, but can't be, because he's bound.

This song (a lot of MCR's songs, actually) remind me a lot of the comics series "Hellblazer" and "Preacher." I know Gerard is a fan of "Preacher" and the Vertigo line generally, so this kind of follows.
synesthesia cure
Killjoy
synesthesia cure
October 29th, 2007 at 01:50am
hey. i think that its avbout the moments between dying and the afterlifee.... his lover dies, and she goes to heaven, but when gee dies, he goes to hell for all the sins he's done to save her... i think this is the most inspirational song ever... anyone who wants me as a friend, feel free.
Charliebitmyfinger.
Salute You in Your Grave
Charliebitmyfinger.
November 10th, 2007 at 03:46am
"or waiting for the man to call"
What would he mean by that?
Are you guys sure it's the right lyrics?
I'd say it's "waiting for the man to come"
As saying waitig for the,, "dark angel-man with the ax to to pick you up" (not sure what he's called on english).. yeah.. so.. i was wondering, where did someone come up with these lyrics? they are everywhere.
i also think it sounds more like "come" than "call" too , maybe my mind is playing with me.
hm.
ImAnAstroZombiee.
Killjoy
ImAnAstroZombiee.
November 10th, 2007 at 11:32am
Ive Never Really Belived In God. Or Anything Like That. Because I Always Thought "If God Is Really Real, Why Would He Allow bad Things To Happen?"
But Ive Just had To Do An Assignment Where I had To create A "Perfect World"
And It Occured To me, That No Matter What You Do, Everyone Is Different, Thus Making The Assignment Impossible. Because No One, And Nothing Can be Perfect, And Everyone Does Things That They Will Look Back on And Regret.
Maybe Gerard Is Scared Of Dying, And Doesnt Know What Is Going To happen to him When he Dies, Whether God Will Forgive His Sins, or Send Him To Hell. I Think This Song Also Questions The Existance Of God. And He Is Looking Back On All That He has Done And Asking, "God, If you really Exist, Forgive Me For It All"

Im Still Not Entirely Sure What this Song Means, But Its Definetely One Of My Favourites.
mr.ross
Jazz Hands
mr.ross
November 10th, 2007 at 06:46pm
Well, it could be that he's starting to loose faith in God because of all the stuff that's been going on in his life and the world. He's just the first one to come out with a song saying something that millions of us have been too afraid to say. He's asking for just some kind of hope.
bubble_burst
Thinking Happy Thoughts
bubble_burst
November 10th, 2007 at 10:55pm
Oi.:
"or waiting for the man to call"
What would he mean by that?
Are you guys sure it's the right lyrics?
I'd say it's "waiting for the man to come"
As saying waitig for the,, "dark angel-man with the ax to to pick you up" (not sure what he's called on english).. yeah.. so.. i was wondering, where did someone come up with these lyrics? they are everywhere.
i also think it sounds more like "come" than "call" too , maybe my mind is playing with me.
hm.

well "waiting for the man to call" can mean the same as waiting for the man to come (in your case i think you're refering to the grim reaper Wink )its just another way to say it... call does not necessarily mean on the phone, it can mean just at your door.

what do you mean "where did someone come up with these lyrics?"
if you mean the cd... its on the welcome to the black parade single i think...
if you just mean cos you think it sounds wrong, then i guess it comes from people listening to it over and over again... or possible they were officially written on something...
it sounds like "call" to me... when gerard sings "and maybe all of the above" you can hear the L from the last word...
Charliebitmyfinger.
Salute You in Your Grave
Charliebitmyfinger.
November 10th, 2007 at 11:59pm
bubble_burst:
well "waiting for the man to call" can mean the same as waiting for the man to come (in your case i think you're refering to the grim reaper Wink )its just another way to say it... call does not necessarily mean on the phone, it can mean just at your door.

what do you mean "where did someone come up with these lyrics?"
if you mean the cd... its on the welcome to the black parade single i think...
if you just mean cos you think it sounds wrong, then i guess it comes from people listening to it over and over again... or possible they were officially written on something...
it sounds like "call" to me... when gerard sings "and maybe all of the above" you can hear the L from the last word...

Interesting..
I have both the "WTTBP" singles, but the lyrics isn't written in them.. ( or in the blackParade limited edition)
But after reading your comment, i no longer think it is "come" that much.
What you said made kinda sense for me too.
Richelle-the-Ripper;
Joining The Black Parade
Richelle-the-Ripper;
November 13th, 2007 at 12:42pm
you guys,,, pray he'll find Christ.
daneeissxc.
Jazz Hands
daneeissxc.
November 19th, 2007 at 12:09am
I think it's about the Patient's journey coming to a close, like the last frame in WTTBP you see him walking away, so this song might be the end of his journey. Iuno, this song just makes meh think tht. And maybe he's dying after he reached the end of his journey, cuz of these lines:
I'm at this old hotel
"Someone save us!"
Lol, like I said, Iuno. This song just makes me think of the patient dying at the end of his journey. When Gerard sings While spitting out the blood and screaming, it makes me think of Gerard actually screaming and spiting out blood. The image in my head makes him look vunerable, with his blonde hair and clutching his stomache while wearing the BP costume, which is torn up and junk. Maybe the song portray's the end of MCR's journey as the BP. =O Hopefully not. Sorry if my reply was long. XD