Don't have an account? Create one!

I'm Not Okay (I Promise)

AuthorMessage
gerardmikey121
Killjoy
gerardmikey121
July 20th, 2008 at 07:01pm
Personally I feel that it's also to do with teenager's today as well; or people in general now that I think about it, who say that they are Okay, and that they feel fine ect; when deep down they aren't okay, there not fine, they are really depressed and need to talk to someone but they don't know who they can talk to without feeling like they might betray them in some way.
!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~!
Totally!
xxMikeyWay
Killjoy
xxMikeyWay
July 23rd, 2008 at 11:43am
its about this girl Gerard liked in high school and that he's not okay...
its kinda obvious if you really listen to the lyrics and read about his life.
Kitty Clover
Jazz Hands
Kitty Clover
July 23rd, 2008 at 09:09pm
Actually I think I agree with the two posts above, and my last post was a different take on it but I think you're both right because of the whole thing with Gerard's past and everything.
im1not3okay
Killjoy
im1not3okay
July 24th, 2008 at 02:21pm
Well, i think that there's a part of it that has to do with the concept albums too. The song as an individual is about teenagers, and making it through high school

But for the album, I think this song is about the guy, he misses his love, and he's remembering her, and he wants to be with her again. He's 'not okay' because he's not with her, but (in my opinion of the album) shortly before he falls out of love with her, the turnaround point where he starts killing more for fun than to get the 1000 bodies.
mcrrocks1234
Killjoy
mcrrocks1234
July 26th, 2008 at 05:17am
i think this relates to me cause my friend took disturbing pics with her boi friend and made my othe frend mad and jelous
frankisahottie
Killjoy
frankisahottie
July 26th, 2008 at 08:38am
this song is about harsh times in high school.
Forget_Me_Not
Killjoy
Forget_Me_Not
July 26th, 2008 at 02:13pm
I think that this song is all about the hard timesin high school and all the problems that it brings.
xxWolvenPrincessxx
Joining The Black Parade
xxWolvenPrincessxx
July 28th, 2008 at 11:11am
I think that this song has a couple different meaning. Gerard liked a girl in school and she did things w/ her boyfriend that made him mad but also the fact that some people really aren't ok with their lives.
Incognito.
Bleeding on the Floor
Incognito.
July 28th, 2008 at 08:41pm
its about the bands high school years and them being complete outcasts
i think its kind of self explanatory
frank'smyhero_22
Jazz Hands
frank'smyhero_22
October 28th, 2008 at 02:21am
gerard's high school life...
about the girl she liked.....
but the girl had a boyfriend...

For all the dirty looks, the photographs your boyfriend took,
XHellsBellX
Killjoy
XHellsBellX
November 14th, 2008 at 09:33am
frank'smyhero_22:
gerard's high school life...
about the girl she liked.....
but the girl had a boyfriend...

For all the dirty looks, the photographs your boyfriend took,
okay yeah, it has to do with Gerard's highskool life. but i think the song has more meaning than just that. because that was just really one lyric about it.
i think the song is saying that deep down we're all going through something. and we usually try to say we're okay when we're not.

"I'm okay/I'm okay now/But you really need to listen to me/Cause i'm telling you the truth/I mean this, I'm okay/Trust me/I'm not okay"

so this part of the song is kind of saying that we're lying to ourselves.
gerard and frank4384
Killjoy
gerard and frank4384
November 30th, 2008 at 04:00pm
arsonist; edlaine:
This song was written for a girl that Gerard used to like back when he was in High School. The girl took a lot of these disturbing pictures with her boyfriend and it made Gerard feel angry.

she is rite Clap
xX::WhYaMiHeRe?::Xx
Killjoy
December 13th, 2008 at 11:26am
Jeffree Star:
Being a screw up could end you up like MCR.
GREAT!!! A VERY POPULAR BAND!!!!! Very Happy

yay my dream will come true ¬__¬
Killjoy
December 14th, 2008 at 07:16am
im definatly gonna be in a band then Nyam No Nyam
christmascar
Killjoy
christmascar
April 11th, 2009 at 01:20am
I don't like that girl either, anyway, I like Gerard's pink makeup in the video and this song is really funny since I am old and looked back the highschool sweetheart love, kinda pure funny feeling.
Black Dawn
Killjoy
Black Dawn
August 13th, 2009 at 06:11pm
its about a guy possibly Gerard in high school, how he didnt want her to go but she did because he wasnt being honest and all she had to do was ask, for everything she did and all the photographs he took. hes not okay and how she wears him out. he is trying to show her life is not as easy and straightforward as it seems, how she says she understands everything but actually doesnt, how she doesnt understand what its like to be alone or unpopular, telling himself or her to forget everything now hes okay, but she needs to listen to him because he's the only one telling the truth, the only one who understand whats its really like in the world. and how he is not okay with everythign
Redrose14
Joining The Black Parade
Redrose14
August 31st, 2009 at 08:49pm
To me this song is kinda telling me, it's fine if you are not completely sane, because we all have some type of problem, but some of us are better at hiding it.
cyanide19
Killjoy
cyanide19
September 22nd, 2009 at 08:13am
my fav song ^^ ...and it's sounds to me like,a revenge in high school for those that won't let you live in peace ...or some old friend that now is an enemy ... Very Happy ...I'm not very good at this kinda stuff ...

I don't want to sound rude[or be off-topic],but I don't understand a think ...[ok,I'm Not Okay,makes an exception] ...I've read the other topics with the meanings of the lyrics,but why in the Earth we need to think that every single thing that is wrote in some lyrics may be something from G's life?[or other member of MCR] ...I personally think that the lyrics are made to sing 'em,not to discover someone's life.Even if fans know things from G's life...or other MCR members.And yes,I know that Gerard writes lyrics from real experiences.[and if someone that has been through all of this things,and it's still alive,that means it's an extremely tough person Shocked ...that's why I love G Mr. Green ]...And I wanted to tell you my friends...I think that every song from MCR has it's message...or,if could I say it like this,every message has more edges,and every one of us understands something special from it ...It's like,they were written to help us to carry on in more situations that we could expect Very Happy ...Ah,MCR is the best In Love
[Sorry for so long message,it's just my opinion about songs meanings Very Happy ]
xXx_BoBeRt_xXx
Killjoy
xXx_BoBeRt_xXx
November 10th, 2009 at 10:45am
I think this song is pretty self explainatory but at the same time it's gonna have a different meaning to a few people. Like for me it's saying I'm not okay. Look at me and see that. Try and understand how it feels. "I've told you time and time again you sing the words but don't know what it means" You say you know how I feel but really you have no clue.

That's just what it means for me, but the other defanitions are pretty spot on. Different people are gonna look at a song in different ways.
squirmyegg
Killjoy
squirmyegg
November 16th, 2009 at 07:04pm
arsonist; edlaine:
Here, I found the quote:

"When I was writing it, I was remembering how hard it was to be a 16-year-old in high school. I always wanted to be an artist, so I was this loner kid who just got drunk all the time. I only had one real friend. There was a girl I really liked, and she ended up taking really sleazy photographs with her boyfriend, and that really crushed me, I was just swimming in this pit of despair, jealousy and alcoholism."

that kind of describes how i feel right now. except its not a girl, its a guy, and i dont get drunk. the girl im jealous of didnt take ppictures, shes just always bragging about how hes her boyfriend, and last week she made me cry in ront of the whole school, and today she showed up to school wearing his jacket. she "forgot" i was completely in love with her boyfriend.