Homosexual Rights.

AuthorMessage
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
September 21st, 2008 at 03:16pm
Amy-Faye:
I think this can go here.
The other night, i was having an argument with my mum. It was about my friend from school. Her mum married another woman. And she calls them her 'parents' because she didn't really know her dad. But my mum kept telling me how she shouldn't call them her parents because there both woman. It really annoyed me, because of course there are gay couples out there that are eventually gonna want children. And i don't think its right how there children shouldn'tbe able to refur to them as there parents because they have the same sex. The worst part is that she told me i couldn't have an opinion on it because i was only 14. But that dosn't really have anythingto do with it.

Anyway, do you guys think that kids should call there same sex parents, parents?

This should really be asked in the personal questions forum, but yes.
Amy-Faye
Jazz Hands
Amy-Faye
September 21st, 2008 at 03:36pm
Yeah, but i though i'd ask it here because this is the place to talk about homosexual rights. And i think being told that your kid shouldn't call you a parent because you're the same sex as your partner goes under the rights dosn't it?
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
September 21st, 2008 at 04:26pm
Amy-Faye:
Yeah, but i though i'd ask it here because this is the place to talk about homosexual rights. And i think being told that your kid shouldn't call you a parent because you're the same sex as your partner goes under the rights dosn't it?

But you framed it as more of a personal question than something new to discuss.

Someone who raises you from birth or a young age is your parent. It's doesn't matter what sex they are or if they are blood related. If they raise you as their child they are you're parent.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
September 22nd, 2008 at 01:51pm
To Zanarkand:
And is christians don't believe in gay marriage why should we force it on the church?
Who said that the only form of marriage is that which is performed inside of the Church?

DIE! DIE! DIE!:
I don't think i'v ever met an intolerant Catholic. Modern ones are usually very open to new ideas.
I have - TONS, but I've met intolerant people of every persuasion.

KingRex:
Well the latest drama at my school is the new athletics director Ms.Wilkins, who is over seeing Homecoming this year. Suddenly at lunch Thursday, while selling tickets, she made a comment that "if you are bringing someone from another school, they must be a date and not a friend and all couples attending must be guy-girl couples." God that pisses me off. Whats the big deal? Can't two people go to a dance together if they want to?
That's really sad, that that sort of discrimination is still allowed to continue.

Amy-Faye:
my mum kept telling me how she shouldn't call them her parents because there both woman. The worst part is that she told me i couldn't have an opinion on it because i was only 14.
I don't know what's sadder, your Mom's ignorance toward that family or toward yourself. I'm really sorry she treats you like that. Your opinion at 14 (or even 4) is just as valid as anyone else's. We're not talking tax code and mortgage payments here! Rolling Eyes
Amy-Faye
Jazz Hands
Amy-Faye
September 22nd, 2008 at 02:58pm
Deb:
I don't know what's sadder, your Mom's ignorance toward that family or toward yourself. I'm really sorry she treats you like that. Your opinion at 14 (or even 4) is just as valid as anyone else's. We're not talking tax code and mortgate payments here! Rolling Eyes

Thanks Deb hug Its nice to see someone could value my opinion instead of telling me im too young to have one
She claims she's not homophobic. but acting like that i dissagree. It really annoyed me that she said that, and i've still not forgiven her =/

[/spam]
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
September 25th, 2008 at 02:24pm
Deb:
Who said that the only form of marriage is that which is performed inside of the Church?

Is that then not called a civil partnership?

Forgive me if i'm wrong.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
September 25th, 2008 at 05:15pm
Nouvelle Vague:
Deb:

Is that then not called a civil partnership?

Forgive me if i'm wrong.

There are plenty of straight couples that are married outside of church. They are married by a judge and it is still called a marriage. Marriage in the eyes of the law and the sacrament of Holy Matrimony are really two different things, but both of them are called a marriage.
If a straight couple can be married by a judge then a gay couple should have that same right. Gays are being oppressed by not being allowed to marry in this way. We need to have real separation of church and state, instead of politicians who make laws based on their personal opinions and no what is best for everyone.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
September 26th, 2008 at 09:36am
Eponine:
We need to have real separation of church and state, instead of politicians who make laws based on their personal opinions and no what is best for everyone.
Yep. While gay marriage didn't even used to be a thought process, now politicos are seeking to actively ban it, for the first time ever. You tell me what that is. Why actively ban something that doesn't exist in the first place? Our individuality is slowly being stripped from us: Roe v. Wade being considered for overturning after 30 years, musicians are being blamed for murders committed by others,and do you realize that America is the only democracy with censored media? Honest to God, you'd think we all had better things to worry about (like the 1200 billion dollar deficit that the Iraqi war and the Wall Street bailout are incurring for us) than whether or not two people who have loved each other for a quarter of a century should be able to visit one another in ICU or not.
idk. my bff jill?
Demolition Lover
idk. my bff jill?
October 8th, 2008 at 03:42pm
We were discussing gay rights in Current Events today and I was surprised at some of the people that are for gay marriages. I personally don't see anything wrong with gay couples getting married. If they really,truly love each other then go for it. My teacher said people that don't like gay people because they think they're "gross" are mainly going by their gut instinct,not thinking it through.
whateva
Killjoy
whateva
October 30th, 2008 at 04:38am
Fezzik:
Our Avenged Jules:
I'm sorry, I have to disagree with that particular part.
I don't think someone is necessarily born homosexual.
It's something you come to learn about yourself - a preference.
You're not born with a preference for chocolate over vanilla, it's something you experience.
I think, what you're trying to get at, is that homosexuals don't necessarily have control over their attraction to the same gender.
A homosexual person, in my opinion, might believe they've always been gay at heart, but I believe as a person, you might never discover that about yourself - you might choose to ignore it, or you might openly embrace it.

I can't speak with total authority, being that I'm not gay, but I don't think homosexuality is a preference. It is something people discover about themselves, but I think that's because in today's society it's assumed you're straight until proven otherwise (well, that, and the fact that until puberty romantic relationships are "icky", and therefore a person couldn't be certain until at earliest the age of approx. 11-13). Some people may never discover they're gay because they've been totally repressed by society and are afraid to come to terms with it (a la video-camera kids' dad in "american beauty" ). Unless you mean some people could be totally content in heterosexual relationships, and never discover that they could be with a person of the same gender...?

In any case, even if homosexuality is a preference to be discovered, once person discovers they're gay, they cannot be happy in a heterosexual relationship (at the risk of making a generalization: largely homosexual people can't be happy in a heterosexual relationship). I think they still, then, deserve the right to be married.

These posts are fairly old but i felt the need to clarify homosexuality is not so much a preference but an inherited personality trait much like extroversion vs. shyness. it is in fact a condition you are born with and you can try to adjust for it socially (by denying it or repressing it) but ultimately it's a part of who you are not something you've chosen to be.
Jenny.
Jenny.
October 30th, 2008 at 08:25am
^ That's not necessarily true. I don't think there's scientific proof about that, if there is, please enlighten me. I'm thinking it's just a personal opinion, but I apologise in advance if I'm wrong.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
October 30th, 2008 at 08:45am
i felt the need to clarify homosexuality is not so much a preference but an inherited personality trait

I dont see how it's inherited.

Theres not a 'Gay gene'
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
October 30th, 2008 at 10:39am
Homosexuality is NOT a choice, okay? Who would CHOOSE to ostracize themselves when it would be SO much easier to do the "normal" thing? No, you are what you are, and everyone that I have ever discussed this with has assured me that they always knew they were gay. The fact that a person waits until they are older to formally come out simply because it is such a difficult thing to do does NOT mean that they weren't gay the entire time.

Just for the record though, I personally believe that all humans have bi-sexual tendencies; just not everyone wants to acknowledge them.

We're off-topic though - the subject is gay rights, not genetics. Be very careful who you vote for next week, America!
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
October 30th, 2008 at 07:04pm
Twilight FTW!:
^ That's not necessarily true. I don't think there's scientific proof about that, if there is, please enlighten me. I'm thinking it's just a personal opinion, but I apologise in advance if I'm wrong.

Just google homosexual genes and tones of scientific studies will come up showing that it is genetic. Everything is genetic, not just physical traits, but your personality too. Many studies have been done showing that preferences (sexual and other) personality traits (whether you are shy or outgoing) are all actually controlled by your DNA. Society can sometimes change how you use these traits (whether you repress homosexuality or not) but it is still there.

Deb:
We're off-topic though - the subject is gay rights, not genetics. Be very careful who you vote for next week, America!

Funny thing is, both candidates have said they are against gay marriage, however I think Obama would take steps in the right direction. They both say that gay couples will get the same rights as a married couple but they won't be considered 'married' it would just be some sort of civil union. I don't believe that McCain would go through with that though, I think Obama would keep his word on that.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
October 31st, 2008 at 10:30am
^ Obama is a notorious flip-flopper; I have said from the beginning that I don't trust him on the important issues - I'm going with Nader. He has no chance, but at least my conscience will be clear.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
October 31st, 2008 at 01:13pm
Deb:
Homosexuality is NOT a choice, okay? Who would CHOOSE to ostracize themselves when it would be SO much easier to do the "normal" thing?

I hope that wasn't aimed at me.

If it was then I never once said being gay was a choice
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
October 31st, 2008 at 02:44pm
^ It wasn't aimed at anyone in particular - just a discussion that had been taking place on here.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
November 12th, 2008 at 03:10pm
What do you guys think about proposition 8 in California?
From what I know about it, it has essentially restricted marriage to between a man and a woman.

I also saw a Facebook group called "Vote Yes on Prop 8"
here: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=47924336080&ref=nf

What do you think about what they are saying in there?
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
November 12th, 2008 at 11:53pm
I found Vote Yes on Prop 8 to be loaded with what I expected; narrowminded people who fear change, and dubious statistics to back them up (come on - the only way that the AIDS rate could have doubled by sanctioning monogamy is if a lot of HIV positive people relocated to their state!) They even attempted to further points with their own propaganda, rather than actual footage, and tried to make the leap between Mormons donating to flood victims and support of this proclamation.

I have had about all I can take of the Church inserting itself into Legislature. For the last time, we DO have separation of Church and State, do we not? FOR a reason! Decisions are supposed to be based upon what is ultimately good for society, not personal moral holdings. At the end of the day, birth control and sensitivity training are good for society, while ostracization and terror are not. That's it - deal or move!
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
November 13th, 2008 at 12:11am
On the whole Prop 8 thing:

On the facebook group linked above, I found this quite interesting;

Vote Yes On Prop 8:
Supporters for No on Prop 8 campaign methods and beliefs:

• Create negative advertisements that only tears down others instead of presenting facts

But then there was this further down:

Vote Yes On Prop *:
Supporters for YES on Prop 8 campaign methods and beliefs:

• They believe marriage should only between a man and a women
They think that people who are against prop 8 send hateful messages? They're the ones trying to deny a section of society marriage rights based on their own pure belief. They say supporters of prop 8 are trying to "tear others down instead of presenting facts", but they are the ones tearing others down instead of presenting facts. What they believe isn't a fact; it's a prejudice belief. That belief of marriage having to be between a man and a woman is a belief that does not apply to everyone in society.