Don't have an account? Create one!

Homosexual Rights.

AuthorMessage
Kaede
Bleeding on the Floor
Kaede
November 15th, 2008 at 09:31am
Yeah, I find it unfair.
I read an article in philosophy class where in my country Australia, Prime Minister John Howard said gay marriages can ruin the relationships of heterosexual couples.

I thought, "Thats a extremely stupid thing to say".

But what I'm thinking why is marriage even important at all? A certificate in marriage doesn't sum up the love you have for your partner whether you are hetero or homosexual.
Jenny.
Jenny.
November 15th, 2008 at 10:47am
the prop 8 page also forgot the part where supporters beat homosexuals to a bloody pulp.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
November 16th, 2008 at 02:12am
Kaede:
Prime Minister John Howard said gay marriages can ruin the relationships of heterosexual couples.
wtf??? Oh how, Kemosabe??
Richey Edwards.
Demolition Lover
Richey Edwards.
November 16th, 2008 at 04:58pm
I kinda swing both ways. I mean, yea, it kinda grosses me out to see same sex couples at school making out or whatever. But at the same time, Im glad to see them happy with someone they love. I think it's okay for same sex to be married. I come from a strong Christian background, so if my parents found out that im for it, they would kill me. One of my best friends is bi, but it doesnt matter to me. Im glad she's happy and has someone to love her. Guy or girl. I think its sad to see gay, bi, or lesbiens get beat up for being that way. I DO NOT believe, however, that God makes you that way. I think that it's a choice. I think they should be able to get married. If it gets illegal, its gonna happen anyway. I hate it when Christians go all crazy about it. Who are we to say that they cant be in love? Its not up to us. I would prefer it if they were straight, but it aint up to me. So, im fine with whatever floats their boats.
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
November 16th, 2008 at 07:00pm
Deb:
Kaede:
Prime Minister John Howard said gay marriages can ruin the relationships of heterosexual couples.
wtf??? Oh how, Kemosabe??

I completely agree with Deb. I've been in a heterosexual marriage for 9 years, and am friends with several homosexual singles and couples, and nothing that they do affects my marriage, my sex life, or any other aspect of my life with my spouse. So unless the Prime Minister can prove that my relationship is suffering because of my friendships with gay people, he needs to back off and stop making erroneous blanket statements.
Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
November 16th, 2008 at 07:09pm
WiltedRose:
I kinda swing both ways. I mean, yea, it kinda grosses me out to see same sex couples at school making out or whatever. But at the same time, Im glad to see them happy with someone they love. I think it's okay for same sex to be married. I come from a strong Christian background, so if my parents found out that im for it, they would kill me. One of my best friends is bi, but it doesnt matter to me. Im glad she's happy and has someone to love her. Guy or girl. I think its sad to see gay, bi, or lesbiens get beat up for being that way. I DO NOT believe, however, that God makes you that way. I think that it's a choice. I think they should be able to get married. If it gets illegal, its gonna happen anyway. I hate it when Christians go all crazy about it. Who are we to say that they cant be in love? Its not up to us. I would prefer it if they were straight, but it aint up to me. So, im fine with whatever floats their boats.

You would PREFER it if they were straight? Do you honestly know how offensive that is? Can you imagine if someone told you they'd PREFER it if you were gay, or black, or white, or male, or female? Do you know how offensive that is? I'm sure your friends love that you "prefer" them another way.

So, homosexuality is a choice? Doesn't that mean that sexuality is a choice? So aren't you saying that heterosexuality is a choice as well? What if I just told you that all the people you've ever liked is only because of a choice that can be changed at the flip of a dime? A choice implies that there are other options, yet you wouldn't say that your own sexuality was just so fluid, would you? It's stupid to think that your precious God would create you set in stone and straight, but wouldn't dare to make these other beings called gay. So they have to choose it. What makes you better than them, in god's eyes? The people they sleep with? So where does it stop? Does god care if you sleep with black people? Short people? Male? Female? If you truly believe in letting people have equality, then why is your god so biased towards gay people?

Lastly, if gay marriage was made illegal, no, gay marriage would not happen anyways. That's the whole point to it. If you make it illegal, it can't happen.

These are some of the questions I think of.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
November 16th, 2008 at 08:31pm
Faye Merci:

Lastly, if gay marriage was made illegal, no, gay marriage would not happen anyways. That's the whole point to it. If you make it illegal, it can't happen.

I think she was trying to say that if gay marriage was made illegal, gay relationships would still happen.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
November 16th, 2008 at 10:42pm
Kaede:
Yeah, I find it unfair.
I read an article in philosophy class where in my country Australia, Prime Minister John Howard said gay marriages can ruin the relationships of heterosexual couples.

I thought, "Thats a extremely stupid thing to say".

But what I'm thinking why is marriage even important at all? A certificate in marriage doesn't sum up the love you have for your partner whether you are hetero or homosexual.
Just in case you weren't aware, John Howard isn't our Prime Minister anymore Shifty2

But still, he was always a pompous old bag when it came to same-sex marriage, and indeed homosexuality in general. I remember reading something similar when he was PM. I think it's a load of crap. I don't see how it will impact on heterosexual marriages or relationships. If gay marriage was legalised here in Australia, I don't think straight people will be turning gay at the click of their fingers.

I'm glad he doesn't represent our country anymore.
Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
November 17th, 2008 at 09:28pm
always:
I think she was trying to say that if gay marriage was made illegal, gay relationships would still happen.

Of course they would, and they should.
make some noise;
Jazz Hands
make some noise;
November 17th, 2008 at 09:42pm
I personally agree with the whole 'love-is-love' statement. My boyfriend is bi, and when my friend asked if it bothered me, [because she's bothered by any type of homosexuality] I just told her that now I have to be jealous when he hangs out with other guys as well as girls. [I was being sarcastic, by the way...] I was raised Catholic and still am, and I think that is the only aspect of my church that I disagree with. I think homosexuality is fine.
Furthermore, if homosexuality is a 'choice', who would make that choice?
Do you think anyone would choose to get pushed around and beaten up and called names?
Whether or not God makes homosexuals that way I don't know, I've never met God, but I know that homosexual people don't wake up one day and go "Hm. Today I'm going to be gay." I don't know what/who gives them their sexuality, but I know it's not a concious choice that the people make, because if it was I doubt there would be any homosexual people, what with all the persecution they receive today.
I don't 'prefer' anyone gay or straight. It's an aspect of their life, not something that would bother me, I made that choice when I was 12. I can't participate in anything like the Day Of Silence, because my parents are EXTREMELY against anything/everything homosexual, and they'd chain me to my bed and spray holy water on me all day while reading the Bible out loud and ban me from any type of people or media until i move out or something outrageous like that, but I fully believe that everyone has the right to be with whoever they want to be with.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
November 18th, 2008 at 12:13pm
WiltedRose:
it kinda grosses me out to see same sex couples making out or whatever.
Why?

Faye Merci:
You would PREFER it if they were straight? Do you honestly know how offensive that is? Can you imagine if someone told you they'd PREFER it if you were gay, or black, or white, or male, or female? Do you know how offensive that is? I'm sure your friends love that you "prefer" them another way.

So, homosexuality is a choice? So aren't you saying that heterosexuality is a choice as well? What if I just told you that all the people you've ever liked is only because of a choice that can be changed at the flip of a dime? What makes you better than them, in god's eyes? The people they sleep with? So where does it stop? Does god care if you sleep with black people? Short people? Male? Female? If you truly believe in letting people have equality, then why is your god so biased towards gay people?

Very well fucking said Clap
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
November 18th, 2008 at 10:12pm
WiltedRose:
it kinda grosses me out to see same sex couples making out or whatever.

I've seen more heterosexual couples making out that disgust me. Sitting in a mall food court and I look over and see two large people in small clothes french kissing with their hands all over each other? No thanks. I'll take seeing two men holding hands or a cheek peck between two women any day.

Besides, the argument isn't about what "grosses you out", it's about the idea of same-sex couples being afforded the same rights as heterosexual couples. It can disgust you all you want but it doesn't change the fact that they are still human beings with the desire to have a relationship with the person they love.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
November 19th, 2008 at 10:01am
tabitha:
I've seen more heterosexual couples making out that disgust me. Sitting in a mall food court and I look over and see two large people in small clothes french kissing with their hands all over each other? No thanks. I'll take seeing two men holding hands or a cheek peck between two women any day.
Fuck, me too!
Dir-en-grey
Joining The Black Parade
Dir-en-grey
November 19th, 2008 at 12:40pm
I am one for homosexual rights and I hope that sometime in the near future that they make gay marrige legal in my state because I dont feel like leaving my home to marry someone where I don't want to be. If it comes down to it I will. Anyway what im getting at is, I think that if you love someone it's love and thats that.
p a n d a_xx
Salute You in Your Grave
p a n d a_xx
November 19th, 2008 at 05:59pm
"Marrage is a right, not a heterosexual privlage."

I found that saying and it's stuck with me.
It's true, why should just heterosexual couples get the right to marry while homosexuals only get 'civil unions'. Seriously people, love is love and it shouldnt matter what your sexual preferance is. >>;;
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
November 20th, 2008 at 11:43am
I'd also like to weigh in as a person who ran a household and raised a child with a man I was not legally married to for close to twenty years. When he fell ill, I had to lie in order to be allowed all-access hospital privileges, and when he passed away, I was disentitled to his social security benefits despite having been his partner in everything since he was two years into his very first job. Is this fair? I say no, and before you leap all over me and ask me why we never married, here's your answer:

When I became pregnant with Damien, Kenny and I were on "break," so obviously we were nowhere near such a step prior to my pregnancy, and we both felt that it was a huge mistake to marry simply because of it. After that, we were afraid to combine our credit, as we had had many lean years and found the dual credit situation beneficial. Had we combined our credit, we would have had to file bankruptcy years ago. That being said, when Kenny knew he was dying, he bemoaned to me that he should have married me years prior, because he was now concerned as to how Damien and I were going to get by without his contribution.

This, in a nutshell is, verbatim, the scenario that every homosexual couple without access to the two or three locations in the U.S. where gay marriage is legal experiences.

My cousin William has had only two relationships in his life, each one over two decades long. It goes without saying that he and his partners have been equal contributors to the lifestyle that they shared. Why should either of them find themselves relegated to no more than "close friend" at the end of their lives together?
Jesse Lacey;
Awake and Unafraid
Jesse Lacey;
November 20th, 2008 at 05:32pm
Alex DeLarge.:
No one ever said the money had to come from the educational system. The government could eliminate the death penalty and use the money it takes to execute the prisoners. But that's another arguement entirely.

The fact is, gay marriage isn't legalized because of the fact that it's seen as immoral and unnatural. Which, when you break it down, stems from religion, really. In America, that's how it seems to be working, anyway. I'm not sure about any other countries.

Religion plays a huge role in this, and I see that as wrong, seeing as how there's supposed to be a distinct seperation of church and state.

And, while it may be true that a child adopted by a homosexual couple may have some problems when it comes to other children teasing them, it's a fact that there are children sitting in orphanages waiting to be adopted and might never get that chance because gays are denied the right to adopt them. As long as a child grows up in a warm, loving household, I don't see the difference in a straight couple or a gay couple raising them.
There are a lot of politicians who maybe don't want gay marriage, but still support the idea of a civil union type, which grants all the same rights and privileges, IE hospital visitation, spousal privilege, etc. but just isn't called marriage. And you're right, gay marriage is seen as immoral and unnatural- but that's not the reason it's not legal. According to America's government, and most peoples' opinion, marriage is between one man and one woman. So if a man and man, or a woman and a woman, were to get married, they would be given the same rights- minus that one where they get to say, "Yeah, we're married."
Jesse Lacey;
Awake and Unafraid
Jesse Lacey;
November 20th, 2008 at 05:39pm
Loserpants_xx:
"Marrage is a right, not a heterosexual privlage."

I found that saying and it's stuck with me.
It's true, why should just heterosexual couples get the right to marry while homosexuals only get 'civil unions'. Seriously people, love is love and it shouldnt matter what your sexual preferance is. >>;;
In the two states in America that allow civil unions, there isn't a difference between one of those and marriage. For example, in Vermont, "Parties to a civil union are given all the same benefits, protections and responsibilities under Vermont law, whether they derive from statute, administrative or court rule, policy, common law or any other source of civil law, as are granted to spouses in a marriage. " (from here)

And in New Hampshire, "Civil unions [in New Hampshire] are permitted under state law between unrelated same-sex individuals and are intended to provide the same "'rights, responsibilities and obligations' as heterosexual marriage, differing in name only."" (from here
)

I don't think it's really a big deal if you don't call it marriage.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
November 21st, 2008 at 09:55am
byerk:
I don't think it's really a big deal if you don't call it marriage.
Well currently the civil union law is barely in existence so it's an immaterial argument, pretty much. However, I would argue that some couples see themselves as spouses and would like to be able to say so, rather than just saying "partner" for the rest of their lives. Kenny and I always referred to one another as husband and wife - however, this is still unacceptable for gay couples to do, and that is also the problem.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
November 21st, 2008 at 04:06pm

I don't think it's really a big deal if you don't call it marriage. [/font][/size]

The point is, with marriage comes a whole array of rights that should be available to homosexuals, forgive me if im wrong but I don't think civil unions comes with the same rights.