Don't have an account? Create one!

Homosexual Rights.

AuthorMessage
Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
November 21st, 2008 at 11:32pm
byerk:
I don't think it's really a big deal if you don't call it marriage.

I do. What if we made it so that black people couldn't get married, but they could be "civilly united"? Well, that would start a civil rights movement. But because we're talking about gay people, "it's not really a big deal."

It would be unfair, because it's bullshit. That's the concept of equal but different. By saying you don't think it can be called marriage, you might as well be against gay rights in general. Think about it if we said that short people, or black people, or asians, or blonde people, couldn't get married - but could get "civil unions". Wouldn't you still want the right to say you were married? Personally, I would. It IS a big deal. Put it in perspective. Let's say I told you because of your race, or because of the color of your hair, you could never get married. You can go to a town hall and get "unioned." But not married. I doubt that would be okay with you.

byerk:
]So if a man and man, or a woman and a woman, were to get married, they would be given the same rights- minus that one where they get to say, "Yeah, we're married."

And why is this okay? Why should they be denied this simple, yet life-changing status? Think about it, again. Imagine you love someone so deeply you want to commit your life to them and grow old with them. You want to get married. And I tell you, sure, you can have all the rights of marriage, but legally, you can't say you're married. It's cruel. It's heartbreaking. All homosexuals are asking for is equality. And yet, they can't have it. Why? Because they sleep with someone of the same sex? So where does the law stop? When can I draw the line? What if you sleep with someone of a different race? Or a different country? Can I say that you don't have the right to marry them, just because you love them and sleep with them? I don't think so.
Jenny.
Jenny.
November 22nd, 2008 at 04:36pm
Guys, please remember that profanity isn't allowed on the discussions forum.
Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
November 22nd, 2008 at 07:01pm
Vanya Hargreeves:
Guys, please remember that profanity isn't allowed on the discussions forum.
seriously? what happened to freedom of speech?
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
November 22nd, 2008 at 07:18pm
profanity distracts from the discussion
and in say, a serious discussion, like in the government, saying f-bombs all over the place is not acceptable
discussion board rules
Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
November 23rd, 2008 at 01:21am
always:
profanity distracts from the discussion[/url]

I guess. Personally I believe that words only offend if you let them. It's just meaningless sounds

but ok.
Marilyn Monroe
Awake and Unafraid
Marilyn Monroe
November 23rd, 2008 at 02:26am
Honestly, I agree with some things your saying. But marriage was originally a religious thing, and it's the legal union of a man and a women,

(N.B) I'm not homophobic, I am bi... so you know, but I'm just saying that that is what a MARRIAGE is defined as.
Jenny.
Jenny.
November 23rd, 2008 at 11:15am
always:
profanity distracts from the discussion
and in say, a serious discussion, like in the government, saying f-bombs all over the place is not acceptable
discussion board rules

Thank you.
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
November 23rd, 2008 at 01:13pm
The idea that a gay couple can not legally consider their partner to be their spouse is unfair. Two people in love, male/female or same sex, deserve to have the same rights. The fact that I am someone's wife, that I have the right to call the man I love husband, is a right that should be able to be shared by all.

I saw an interesting macro the other day of a black man holding up a sign against gay marriage, and the caption read along the lines of "I'm glad the equal-rights movement gave me the ability to discriminate against people different than me" -- and I agree. Black, white, Hispanic, Asian, male, female, gay, straight; we are all *people* and should all be able to live our lives as we choose.
Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
November 23rd, 2008 at 01:54pm
Young Hannibal:
Honestly, I agree with some things your saying. But marriage was originally a religious thing, and it's the legal union of a man and a women

You're kidding me, right? Marriage was originally the trading of one's man's daughter to another man. A woman was nothing more than chattel with dowry. And if you take religion (especially the bible) into account, many of the men had plural wives. And even further back, marriage was when your lord or master decided he needed more slaves so he would unite you and some maid so that you could reproduce babies. And if you want to go before medieval times, then there's the Roman and Greek times where it was perfectly acceptable to be gay or have several wives.

So no, marriage was NOT originally a religious thing. Jesus did not come up with marriage, I'm afraid.
severus.
Awake and Unafraid
severus.
November 24th, 2008 at 12:57pm
Young Hannibal:
Honestly, I agree with some things your saying. But marriage was originally a religious thing, and it's the legal union of a man and a women,

(N.B) I'm not homophobic, I am bi... so you know, but I'm just saying that that is what a MARRIAGE is defined as.
Actually, there is nothing inherently religious about the institution of marriage. It was originally a way of forming ties between families and transferring the property (the woman/bride) of one man (her father) to another man (her husband).

That's no longer how we view marriage anymore, especially in the Western world. It's funny that people who are against gay marriage argue about the redefinition of marriage as if marriage has never been redefined and expanded before. That's what social institutions are supposed to do, they're supposed to change and adapt to the current time. Else they become archaic and irrelevant.
youhaveissues!!
Killjoy
youhaveissues!!
November 24th, 2008 at 01:54pm
yey someone understainds me

you see im in love with another girl

and i love her soo much

i get picked on a school they tell me im not normall

and they say im only going out with her because i cant get a boyfriend SadSad

i think there is nothing wrong with it at all !!!!!!
Jenny.
Jenny.
November 24th, 2008 at 03:05pm
youhaveissues!!:
yey someone understainds me

you see im in love with another girl

and i love her soo much

i get picked on a school they tell me im not normall

and they say im only going out with her because i cant get a boyfriend SadSad

i think there is nothing wrong with it at all !!!!!!
That doesn't belong here. You're better off putting it into the personal questions forum.
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
November 24th, 2008 at 03:12pm
Faye Merci is correct in what she says. Marriage was once viewed as the transfer of ownership of a woman, her dowry and property, from her father to her husband. The idea of marrying for love was for the lower classes, if at all.

In today's society, however, marriage binds two people who are in love. Currently it is only allowed between heterosexual couples in most places. Marriage to someone you love is now seen as a right; the idea of parents arranging marriages is not practiced in most countries (although it is not completely unheard-of) and it is up to each person to choose the person that they love and want to share their life with. If that happens to be someone of the same sex, and they are happy, then they should have the same right to a wedding and marriage as any other person.
t'lema
Salute You in Your Grave
t'lema
November 27th, 2008 at 01:23pm
I may be wrong, but doesn't marriage allow certain priviliges that civil partnership doesn't?

In the lack of a will with one spouse or benefits (in the UK) I believe marriage offers rights that civil partnerships don't. I could be wrong, but that's how I understand it.

Marriage also shows that the union of the two people is recognised by God. That isn't so in civil partnerships, and that can give an exclusion to christian gays.

(Also it's not just heterosexuals who can get married, bisexual people who fall for someone of the opposite sex can too. Unfair, if one relationship they have i recognised and another one a few years later isn't imo.)
Jesse Lacey;
Awake and Unafraid
Jesse Lacey;
November 27th, 2008 at 04:25pm
Faye Merci:

I do. What if we made it so that black people couldn't get married, but they could be "civilly united"? Well, that would start a civil rights movement. But because we're talking about gay people, "it's not really a big deal."

It would be unfair, because it's bullshit. That's the concept of equal but different. By saying you don't think it can be called marriage, you might as well be against gay rights in general. Think about it if we said that short people, or black people, or asians, or blonde people, couldn't get married - but could get "civil unions". Wouldn't you still want the right to say you were married? Personally, I would. It IS a big deal. Put it in perspective. Let's say I told you because of your race, or because of the color of your hair, you could never get married. You can go to a town hall and get "unioned." But not married. I doubt that would be okay with you.

And why is this okay? Why should they be denied this simple, yet life-changing status? Think about it, again. Imagine you love someone so deeply you want to commit your life to them and grow old with them. You want to get married. And I tell you, sure, you can have all the rights of marriage, but legally, you can't say you're married. It's cruel. It's heartbreaking. All homosexuals are asking for is equality. And yet, they can't have it. Why? Because they sleep with someone of the same sex? So where does the law stop? When can I draw the line? What if you sleep with someone of a different race? Or a different country? Can I say that you don't have the right to marry them, just because you love them and sleep with them? I don't think so.

Hey, you've got me on all of your points- but you could use some of your arguments to support other things- pedophilia, for example. If two legal adults have the right to say "i do" because people were afraid of discriminating, what if a man and a young child were to use the same argument?
Jesse Lacey;
Awake and Unafraid
Jesse Lacey;
November 27th, 2008 at 04:26pm
Huck.:
I may be wrong, but doesn't marriage allow certain priviliges that civil partnership doesn't?

In the lack of a will with one spouse or benefits (in the UK) I believe marriage offers rights that civil partnerships don't. I could be wrong, but that's how I understand it.

Marriage also shows that the union of the two people is recognised by God. That isn't so in civil partnerships, and that can give an exclusion to christian gays.

(Also it's not just heterosexuals who can get married, bisexual people who fall for someone of the opposite sex can too. Unfair, if one relationship they have i recognised and another one a few years later isn't imo.)
Only federally- granted rights aren't given.

The government can either change the definition of marriage, or come up with something else to call it. Personally, I prefer the former. You can't change the meaning of words just to fit situations.
IcyColdNights
Jazz Hands
IcyColdNights
November 27th, 2008 at 09:24pm
I am, and have always been, and will continue to be a supporter of homosexual rights. The reason that I think that gay marriage hasn't been legalized in all countries is that people aren't that ready for that big a change. People have heard from their parents and grand parents that being gay is "wrong", per say. Some religions argue that being gay is a sin, and for many people, religion comes first. People have simply been raised like that, and that is the truth. Religion is obviously a touchy subject for many, including myself, and I will not persist with it. I think that we, the new generation, have the ability to change the ideas of the older generations. Many of us are extremely forward-thinking any obviously many accept gay rights and gay marriage, just from reading a few earlier posts.
Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
November 28th, 2008 at 12:41am
byerk:
Hey, you've got me on all of your points- but you could use some of your arguments to support other things- pedophilia, for example. If two legal adults have the right to say "i do" because people were afraid of discriminating, what if a man and a young child were to use the same argument?

Because I'm talking about two adults who are capable of making choices - not an adolescent who can be easily fooled. Pedophilia and homosexuality are far apart in my mind. You yourself said it, I'm saying that two ADULTS can say it. I said nothing about two people (young or old) in love as an example. I didn't use the love is love debate - which is pretty much the only way to vindicate pedophiles. I was talking about equal but different civil rights status being a form of racism towards two adults. I definitely was not implying that such a debate could be used to rationalize pedophilia, because that isn't the same thing as this debate, the debate being equal but different for two ADULTS. When I mentioned that two people who loved one another thing, I assumed I had already made clear in my introduction that I was talking about adults. Sorry if I wasn't clear.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
November 28th, 2008 at 06:48am
byerk:
If two legal adults have the right to say "i do" because people were afraid of discriminating, what if a man and a young child were to use the same argument?
There is legislature that clearly states that minors do not have the legal right to consent.

Faye Merci:
I didn't use the love is love debate - which is pretty much the only way to vindicate pedophiles.
Actually, any testimony I've ever read by pedophiles verifies that they consider their acts to be those of compulsion, not love, and I've never seen one defend their actions - they know they're sick.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
November 29th, 2008 at 09:30pm
byerk:
The government can either change the definition of marriage, or come up with something else to call it. Personally, I prefer the former. You can't change the meaning of words just to fit situations.

I see that you completely ignored what Faye said. The term marriage originally meant trading a women to a man. That's obviously not what the word means today. Today marriage is the union of two consenting adults. I don't see what the problem is with the two adults being the same sex. But obviously you do have a problem with that. Marriage is not a privilege it is a human right, so by denying marriage to gays you're saying that they aren't human, I guess. And marriage is not the same as holy matrimony or a union performed by the church. It is a legal matter. If two people want to get married they don't have to go to a church they can just go to a courthouse and have a document signed. Calling it marriage also doesn't mean that God has 'recognized' the union.
Words are always changing, society changes words all the time to have a better meaning. The dictionary is not set in stone.