Don't have an account? Create one!

Single sex schools

AuthorMessage
chasing dragonflies.
Killjoy
chasing dragonflies.
July 3rd, 2009 at 09:16pm
(I really hope I can bump this without any hassle, it's not been posted in a while, but different forums have different rules, so imma just do it. xD)

I've been to a mixed primary school, and I currently attend and all-girls school. It's not really that bad, to be honest. At first I couldn't imagine going to an all-girls school, but now I can't imagine it any other way.
The reason my school is an all-girls school is because the founder set up an institute that fought for women to have rights - it's not because we'd get distracted by boys. But really, I personally do not feel I'd be distracted by boys. There are lesbians at my school - surely if we were distracted by the sex we're attracted to they'd have a hard time learning!

I do feel, however, more at home at my school. I feel I can be myself more. Boys, in my opinion, can be very judgmental and make you feel self conscious. I don't know if that's because I'm not around them too much, so I feel different, or not, but whatever. (It's probably just me going all feminist on myself. Recently I've adopted an 'I HATE THE MALE SPECIES!' attitude. Haha) I feel more comfortable in my own skin around girls - we can talk about girl related things in peace, for example.

I do also feel that bitchiness is worse in my all-girls school than anywhere else I've experienced it. I don't know why this is, or if it has anything to do with the absence of guys, but i definitely agree. It might be sort of an animal instincts, hormonal-driven kinda things. I don't know. But yes, bitchiness is definatly an issue.

I don't feel that it is unfair being in a single sex school, though. I know boys, I just don't go to school with them. I think you can experience sex equality in a single sex school. It's not necessarily just a sex preference, but as I mentioned earlier have a reason for being single sex such as my school does.

I wouldn't want to go to school with boys anyway - they're all immature meat heads at my age. -sigh-
Hahah.

In feel like I've contradicted myself, in some ways. >.<
Amuto.
Really Not Okay
Amuto.
July 6th, 2009 at 05:19pm
I go to an all girl's school - And it's easier, I think..
Because you're just with all girls and so you're not as self conscious, most of the time.
I think it's good.
Marilyn Monroe
Awake and Unafraid
Marilyn Monroe
July 6th, 2009 at 06:34pm
Honestly, I think co-ed is better. Becuase you learn how to get along with the opposite sex so that once your in the 'real world' and in offifces and stuff you know how to get along with them.
I hope that makes sense
precious weapons.
Awake and Unafraid
precious weapons.
July 7th, 2009 at 05:28am
i go to an all girls school too
it's sometimes harder because the girls sometimes get in your face too much
but there's a good side too because you can make really good girlfriends.
but yeah- i think i prefer my school but i did like how my old co-ed school was more relaxed.
Sid
Salute You in Your Grave
Sid
July 10th, 2009 at 06:34am
I've never been to a single sex school but I have friends who have. On the boys side apparently it's not too bad but all girls' schools are supposed to be really bitchy. From the people I know who've been they haven't had very good experiences.

But I doubt they're all like that. It's like any school I suppose, you have good ones and bad ones. Personally I prefer co-ed because you learn how to get on with the opposite sex and such.
Dear Tokyo...
Salute You in Your Grave
Dear Tokyo...
July 12th, 2009 at 01:00am
I actually disagree with the whole, "All-Girls schools are bitchier" vibe.
I have gone to both co-ed schools and all-girls schools and from my own experience, the co-ed schools sport more clique-oriented 'bitchy' behavior. I think this is because many of the arguments girls get into have something to do with men. At all-girls schools, the atmosphere is much more relaxed because there is no pressure on anyone to look nice because there are no guys to impress. (Girls would literally come to school with their pajamas on under their uniform skirts with their hair sticking in all directions...I'm still undecided on whether or not that's a good thing.)
But in short, I think that single-gender schooling takes a lot of the pressure off of looking presentable and competing for future girlfriends/boyfriends, and that allows a bit more of the concentration to be put on academics.
Again, this is all just from my personal experience with co-ed/ single-gender schooling.
CandYgurL
Killjoy
CandYgurL
July 15th, 2009 at 12:07am
i went to a single sex school. the first public one in jefferson county. i didnt like it. i was an all girls school and i think its just all drama. i dont really see the perspective of people who say that a gender-mixed school distracts students.
stay away;
In a Bullet's Embrace
stay away;
July 30th, 2009 at 11:49am
i think its a little to conformist but i can see the benefits.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
July 31st, 2009 at 12:20pm
^^ did i make your avatar? I recognize it (:

I think single sex schools should purely be the childs choice, not the parents. If the kid wants to go I see no problem.
xxZalanortxx
Killjoy
xxZalanortxx
July 31st, 2009 at 01:36pm
It seems idiotic to separate girls and boys into different schools. Men and women often are fairly different, and by separating them you have taken away the chance for them to be able to learn how to properly communicate with the opposite sex. You have also made it almost impossible for them to be able to get into relationships (if they're heterosexual anyways). Some people actually need to feel loved, because often times that is the best treatment for depression. Apparently one of the reasons people do this is because the parent thinks they are distracted by the opposite sex, but if they are homosexual or bisexual, then this is a moot point.
t'lema
Salute You in Your Grave
t'lema
July 31st, 2009 at 04:55pm
I was in all-girls schools from 11-18 and I hated it so much.

Factions form, people are twice as bitchy and honestly for most people I went to school with they say (and I agree) that it made it harder to understand/make friends with boys.

One problem I had with the whole system was my friend Kai who is transgendered. Awkward if you're at an all girl school.

I wish I had been at a mixed school. I don't see any benefits for the students, even though we were repeatedly given statstics about how all girl schools do better in league tests and ofsted inspections.

As Zalanort said, the sexuality can be a moot point, and in my experience there is more homophobia in same sex schools.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
July 31st, 2009 at 07:43pm
But how can you say "in my experience there is more homophobia in same sex schools" when you havn't experienced what homophobia in a mixed school is like? i dont mean this in a bad way at all but i dont see how you can make that comparison.
t'lema
Salute You in Your Grave
t'lema
August 2nd, 2009 at 06:49am
John St. John:
But how can you say "in my experience there is more homophobia in same sex schools" when you havn't experienced what homophobia in a mixed school is like? i dont mean this in a bad way at all but i dont see how you can make that comparison.

Fair point, I'm going off my experiences in all girl schools and comparing it with friends who were in mixed.

Actually I think that my school had a very small demographic also added to the homophobia we encountered. One of the teachers encouraged it, it wasn't a very tolerant place for a supposedly Methodist school. When our class tried to do an assembly on prejudice, we weren't allowed to play Christina Aguilera's video for 'Beautiful' because it had two men kissing and a transvestite in it. We were told that was the reason.

Maybe I can't speak for all same sex schools, but mine were not very fun places.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
August 7th, 2009 at 07:07am
^No, you can't speak for all same sex schools... because my all girls school sure as hell wasn't blatantly homophobic. I really enjoyed my time at my highschool, and - even though I didn't want to go at first - I'm glad my parents chose an all girls school. It personally gave me a lot of self esteem.
certain romance
Thinking Happy Thoughts
certain romance
August 13th, 2009 at 09:14pm
i went to a single sex school. had the best few years of my life, it was very relaxed, no pressure and everyone spoke freely. and from my experience none of us had any problems integrating into a mixed college class or workplace.