Don't have an account? Create one!

Single sex schools

AuthorMessage
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
July 3rd, 2008 at 11:01pm
^ I agree
But, most likely, you would have more interaction with the opposite sex if you go to a co-ed school, because you're stuck with them for what, 6 hours every day for half the year?
differant.
Shotgun Sinner
differant.
July 12th, 2008 at 04:27am
this is just based on personal experience, i'm not saying that every single sex school is like this.
i hardly survived my year and a half at an all girls school. i hated it so much. what i found the most irritating was how naive the girls were. i was there for half of year 8 and all of year 9, and in my year 9 science class one day, which was situated at the front of the school, a group of year 10 boys walked past. i am not joking when i say every girl leapt to their feet to get a glimpse of them, because they just thought boys were like an alien lifeform.
i felt like almost every girl in that school was at a terrible disadvantage. they would see a boy and freak out, which impared their social skills.
this may sound quite extreme, which i'm sure it is, as i said im sure not all schools are like this but it did form my opinon that single sex schools set you back socially.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 12th, 2008 at 01:08pm
Single sex schools have always seemed ridiculous to me. I get the reasoning behind it but...I don't know.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
July 12th, 2008 at 10:01pm
Eponine:
Single sex schools have always seemed ridiculous to me. I get the reasoning behind it but...I don't know.

Can you elaborate? Why do you think they're ridiculous?
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 12th, 2008 at 10:09pm
Mindfuck:

Can you elaborate? Why do you think they're ridiculous?

I just don't see the point in keeping boys and girls separate, especially in your teens when you start dating and interacting with the opposite sex more. Teens just need to learn about safe sex. Keeping them separate for that reason isn't even going to work, because boys and girls will still get around it somehow.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
July 12th, 2008 at 10:22pm
^I don't think the point of same sex schools these days is to try and reduce teens having sex. I mean, ironically, the all girls school I used to go to has one of the worst reputations for sluttiness. Seriously, if you told anyone you went there, people automatically assumed you slept around. So teens definitely will find a way of getting around it, but I wholly believe teens can get quite a decent sex education at a same sex school. I seemed to turn out okay Shifty2
HEY AMY
Salute You in Your Grave
HEY AMY
July 13th, 2008 at 02:46am
^ Yeah. For instance, I go to an all girls private school called 'Danebank' and we always get called 'Skankbank' cos we have a bit of a reputation. lol.

I think single sex schools and co-ed schools are both as good as the other. I've never been to a co-ed school, but I have plenty of friends who do, and they learn the same things and it's just as good Smile
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 13th, 2008 at 03:09am
Mindfuck:
^I don't think the point of same sex schools these days is to try and reduce teens having sex. I mean, ironically, the all girls school I used to go to has one of the worst reputations for sluttiness. Seriously, if you told anyone you went there, people automatically assumed you slept around. So teens definitely will find a way of getting around it, but I wholly believe teens can get quite a decent sex education at a same sex school. I seemed to turn out okay Shifty2

That's just what I assumed originally same sex school where for. It makes sense though, if you're cooped up with a bunch of girls when you do have contact with guys, you might go a bit crazy. Hopefully all the education is as good as any other school. There's not really that much of a difference in that aspect.
I would just hate it though, especially since my best friend is a guy.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
July 13th, 2008 at 04:31am
Eponine:

That's just what I assumed originally same sex school where for. It makes sense though, if you're cooped up with a bunch of girls when you do have contact with guys, you might go a bit crazy. Hopefully all the education is as good as any other school. There's not really that much of a difference in that aspect.
I would just hate it though, especially since my best friend is a guy.

I'm not meaning to offend you, but I feel that that point of view about "girls being cooped up for so long that when they see guys they go nuts" is a tad old-fashioned. Extra-curricular activities and jobs anyone? There are so many teenagers who work these days, that I suspect most of them, irrespective of what kind of school they go to, have interaction with the opposite sex in some way or another. Sure, when I went to an all-girls school I never had a best friend that was a guy - but

a) neither did one of my friends who went to a co-ed school, and
b) I did have boyfriends in highschool

So I wholeheartedly think it is somewhat of a myth that people in same sex schools are somehow deprived of interaction with the opposite sex.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 13th, 2008 at 06:13am
Mindfuck:

I'm not meaning to offend you, but I feel that that point of view about "girls being cooped up for so long that when they see guys they go nuts" is a tad old-fashioned. Extra-curricular activities and jobs anyone? There are so many teenagers who work these days, that I suspect most of them, irrespective of what kind of school they go to, have interaction with the opposite sex in some way or another. Sure, when I went to an all-girls school I never had a best friend that was a guy - but

a) neither did one of my friends who went to a co-ed school, and
b) I did have boyfriends in highschool

So I wholeheartedly think it is somewhat of a myth that people in same sex schools are somehow deprived of interaction with the opposite sex.

I'm kind of an old-fashioned person.
I'll take your word for it though. You know what you're talking about, I really don't.
teen spirit.
Crash Queen
teen spirit.
July 13th, 2008 at 10:31pm
In my opinion same-sex or mixed schools are pretty much the same in terms of how many in the school are dating. I've only had experience of a same-sex school so far though. The thing is though, I'm moving to the mixed school nearest to me because, apart from a few problems with certain teachers, is because I really hate being in a same-sex school. Not because I get on better with guys (which I do but that's not the reason..) or because I'm looking to date anyone or anything like that, it's because, my school is just really bitchy. Any girl who I'm not friends with has probably spread rumours etc. about me or my friends. Which I really think guys are less likely to do. And one of my best friends gos to an all-guys school. He's said before that it's horrible. He's a really, really sweet guy, but if he shows this in his school he's called a "fag" and beaten up, which he doesn't cope well with because his much smaller and thinner than the majority of his class and he's got really hurt before. And he said that didn't happen as much when he was in a mixed school. And now he acts like an asshole half the time simply because he's scared shitless that of being hurt so he has to create a tougher image for himself... Maybe people can prove me wrong, I just think mixed-schools are better coming from my own experiences..
teen spirit.
Crash Queen
teen spirit.
July 13th, 2008 at 10:34pm
In my opinion same-sex or mixed schools are pretty much the same in terms of how many in the school are dating. I've only had experience of a same-sex school so far though. The thing is though, I'm moving to the mixed school nearest to me because, apart from a few problems with certain teachers, is because I really hate being in a same-sex school. Not because I get on better with guys (which I do, but that's not the reason..) or because I'm looking to date anyone or anything like that, it's because, my school is just really bitchy. Any girl who I'm not friends with has probably spread rumours etc. about me or my friends. Which I really think guys are less likely to do. And one of my best friends gos to an all-guys school. He's said before that it's horrible. He's a really, really sweet guy, but if he shows this in his school he's called a "fag" and beaten up, which he doesn't cope well with because his much smaller and thinner than the majority of his class and he's got really hurt before. And he said that didn't happen as much when he was in a mixed school. And now he acts like an asshole half the time simply because he's scared shitless that of being hurt so he has to create a tougher image for himself... Maybe people can prove me wrong, I just think mixed-schools are better coming from my own experiences..
calculated sacrifice
Shotgun Sinner
calculated sacrifice
July 17th, 2008 at 12:55am
I go to single sex school which isnt THAT bad. But it has its disadvantages. Like, they say that there's at least 1 lesbian in a batch. ... yeah
Captain Geraaarrrrd!
Motor Baby
Captain Geraaarrrrd!
July 19th, 2008 at 12:43am
I fear single-sex schools because it reminds me of how schools were when black and white was segregated. The white schools had a better education than black schools. My fear would be that one sex is getting a worse education than the other sex. Therefore, one sex has the upperhand and more opportunity.
Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
July 19th, 2008 at 02:05am
Quinntessence:
I go to single sex school which isnt THAT bad. But it has its disadvantages. Like, they say that there's at least 1 lesbian in a batch. ... yeah

oh poor you, it must be fucking horrible for you to have to endure one lesbian.

you moron. imagine how she feels with people like you.
Jenny.
Jenny.
July 19th, 2008 at 08:59am
Quinntessence:
Neutral
....Disadvantages.

How is having a lesbian in a 'batch' a disadvantage? What makes them any different, apart from their sexual preferance? Does that make them some sort of alien who will eat you?
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 19th, 2008 at 09:02pm
I think Quinntessence meant that people start rumors saying certain girls are lesbian.
Which is a disadvantage, if your not lesbian it's quite irritating when people start a rumor that you are.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
July 19th, 2008 at 10:23pm
Eponine:

Which is a disadvantage, if your not lesbian it's quite irritating when people start a rumor that you are.

Ha, that is quite irritating. It's one of the only disadvantages I came up against going to an all-girls school. We'd always get the 'lesbian' stigma attached to us, and even though there were definitely some lesbians at our school, it annoyed most of us that we were called 'a lesbian school'.

I don't have anything against homosexuals, but if you're not gay or a lesbian it can be annoying when people call you that for just going to a same-sex school.
Captain Geraaarrrrd!
Motor Baby
Captain Geraaarrrrd!
July 20th, 2008 at 02:33am
Eponine:
I think Quinntessence meant that people start rumors saying certain girls are lesbian.

Yes it is. I've been in that position. It distracts you from your schoolwork.
the.reaper.wore.pink
Motor Baby
the.reaper.wore.pink
July 20th, 2008 at 03:22am
Now that i graduated from my single sex high school and now in college, which is co-ed, i have noticed differences between girls from single sex schools and those who did not like girls from ss schools are more open minded. (more accepting of different beliefs, more tolerant of weirdness, etc.)
It might be the case only in my experience, it may be different from what others experience.