Don't have an account? Create one!

Single sex schools

AuthorMessage
Littlemisschem
Fabulous Killjoy
Littlemisschem
March 24th, 2008 at 08:24pm
I don't see the point of single sex schools. I used to think it'd be really cool, that way you can always hang out with your best friends (especially if it was a boarding school!) and then you wouldn't have to deal with the ignorance of the opposite sex. Also because of cooties. But now that I really think about it, that would be horrific. Sure, I went to a co-ed boarding school, that'd be great.... I seriously think that if there weren't any boys in my school, I'd go crazy. No, that's not my hormones talking, that's me (though they might have a say in this). I don't think same sex schools really make a difference. As for the differences between a coed student and a student that goes to a single sex school, there could be a bunch of different things. The single sex school student could be really proper and stiff, or as curious as a puppy, or really wild from lack of the opposite sex. There'd be way more bitch at an all girl's school because that's just the nature of the woman, to be a bit of a bitch at times.
calculated sacrifice
Shotgun Sinner
calculated sacrifice
March 25th, 2008 at 07:18am
I go to a single sex school and... its kind of .... okay. Except for the fact that we have about 1 lesbian in each batch. or so Ive heard. and it just pushes the girls in our school to go for the boys in our brother school. Its annoying
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
March 25th, 2008 at 07:47am
^So, are you saying that it's weird for there to be a lesbian at your all girls' school??
:\
girl interrupted.
Salute You in Your Grave
girl interrupted.
March 25th, 2008 at 07:51am
Before I start, I'll make it clear that I go to a mixed ghetto school, but my brother &
sister will be soon going to single sex schools, and this is from the point of view of
overprotective older sister.

*Do single sex schools strengthen sex stereotypes?
- I think they possibly could. I suppose in all-boys schools you don't get ballet extra-
curricular clubs, so yes, in a way.

*Is the environment provided by single sex schools unrealistic?
- I don't know. I've never been to one. I'll also say that my brother is what you'd
call special needs, so not really, the inclusions manager at my brother's school
is pretty realistic, for his needs.

*Are boys really that different from girls?
- Not really, not be honest. I've read somewhere that biologically boys and girls
are only something like 1 or 2% different. I don't know. Could be wrong.

*Is the interaction with the opposite sex compromised in single sex education?
- Well, yes, I suppose, because you're thrust from a world of having no male /
female friends into a world where you're expected to pair off.

*Do you really get distracted by the opposite sex?
- Not really. But in my brother's 'special ed' case, yes, because social interaction
is part of the disorder, so you could say that some of the pressure's off.

*Is the bitchiness worse in all-girls school than co-ed schools?
- I don't know, I've never been to an all-girls. It depends on the girls. They'll either
go mad with bitchiness or they'll figure that there's no boys to show off to and
therefore no point.

*How would a student from a co-ed school and a student from a single-
sex school differ? in terms of reaction to real life? Who would cope better?

- I suppose it would be an environment shock, so probably the mixed-school kid
would cope better.

*Can you really experience sex equality if the sexes are segregated?
- I don't really get this question, so I'll leave it.

*Is democracy in school just an illusion?
- I don't really get this either.

*Do you believe that gender does affect learning?
- No, it's the brain doing the learning, not the genitals, to put it bluntly.

HEY AMY
Salute You in Your Grave
HEY AMY
March 25th, 2008 at 08:17am
yeah. i reckon they do. i go to an all girls school, and we have 'girly' sort of activities. lol.

not at all. sure, its definately bitchier than a co-ed school, but its definately realistic. i guess it prepares us for the real world. (although a co-ed school would do the same!)

hmm. i think girls dumb themselves down to try and make boys like them. (thats what ive noticed at excursions where there are boys). but yeah. not much difference really.

yeah. although we have school discos and all that jazz. lol.

i think so. i reckon guys would be distracted by girls, and girls would be distracted by guys. i like the idea of a co-ed school that has single sex classes. that woul probably be the best.

all girls, for sure.

i find at work, it doesnt seem to matter. like, we all seem the same, and no-one really cares what school you go to. i dont think it changes you, unless you go to the same sex school, and dont do anything outside of school, therefore never associating with members of the opposite sex. i believe thats where the problems start.

probably not. haha.

*Is democracy in school just an illusion?
yes. yes it is. especially at my school.

not at all.
I'm Not Okay90
Fabulous Killjoy
I'm Not Okay90
March 25th, 2008 at 01:04pm
Same sex schools are overrated! I go to a boy/girl school and it rocks! I would hate not ever seeing boys at school!
Cap'n Scumbag.
Shotgun Sinner
Cap'n Scumbag.
March 26th, 2008 at 06:01am
-Do single sex schools strengthen sex stereotypes?
Do you mean that by going to an All Girls' is going to make you a lesbian and vice versa? Its pretty stupid for people to say, because I go to an All Girls' and I've only known one girl whose bisexual who has been in our school.
If you mean like gender sterotypes, not always. Our school offers all sports guyschools have.

-Are boys really that different from girls?
There is about the same amount of drama in a boys school as there is in a girls one.
-Is the interaction with the opposite sex compromised in single sex education?
Okay, I don't really think so. A lot of my friends are just as normal functioning when it comes to guys etc. But sometimes it makes me feel a bit more nervous around the guy[s] I like because I'm not around them 24/7.

-Do you really get distracted by the opposite sex?
The friends I have that go to Co-Ed schools seem to say they are. But then again, that really depends on the person.

-Is the bitchiness worse in all-girls school than co-ed schools?
Bahahaha ! Hell no. We MAY be an all girls, but there are more things to fight over in a Co-Ed. A few of my friends conversations at lunch time start with 'OMFG ! DID YOU SEE HER HAIR?' or the odd 'what a slut', but thats about it really. We get bored of dissing the same people. With guys, girls fight a lot more...from what I've heard.
Cherokee
Banned
Cherokee
March 26th, 2008 at 09:52am
Listen to me, I've tried bothe single sex and mixed schools. The only thing I've noticed is that in single sex schools I did like crap. Becaseu all that mattered then is the jealousy between girls! so when I went to a mixed school some girls got drivven off and had too many crushes! so they totally forgot about their marks and future. But I didn't! I went straight forward because I was raised not to bother myself about such matters.
the.reaper.wore.pink
Motor Baby
the.reaper.wore.pink
March 26th, 2008 at 12:07pm
An experiment was done, concerning 3 pairs. The 1st pair consists of 2 boys the next consists of 2 girls and the last consists of 1 boy and 1 girl. They were each given a study material and were quizzed after a given time. The pair that did best was the pair consisting of 2 girls while the pair that did worse were the pair consisting of 1 boy and 1 girl.
Cherokee
Banned
Cherokee
March 26th, 2008 at 02:54pm
the.reaper.wore.pink:
An experiment was done, concerning 3 pairs. The 1st pair consists of 2 boys the next consists of 2 girls and the last consists of 1 boy and 1 girl. They were each given a study material and were quizzed after a given time. The pair that did best was the pair consisting of 2 girls while the pair that did worse were the pair consisting of 1 boy and 1 girl.

Maybe in sucha case, two girls got along together better than the different view of a boy and a girl together. but still we are not talking about a research, we are talking about spending whole school years!
Glitterlust
Salute You in Your Grave
Glitterlust
March 26th, 2008 at 07:49pm
I go to an all girls school, and whilst i have nothing against the idea, i personally don't like it that much. I don't know, there are pro's and cons's to it.

I think you can grow in confidence more, especially if you're a shy person like I am, because i'm surrounded by only my group of friends we can gossip etc without the interruption of boys, and i think i act more myself round my friends that i do when there's boys there.
I think this is kind of a negative thing as well though as i've got no confidence around boys and find talking to them really difficult. it's getting better lately but i think that going to an all girls school hasn't helped.

Theres a lot more bitchiness and grudges tend to be held a lot longer in an all girls school, than they would in a mixed school. I think if boys intervene in an argument between girls it can be forgotten a lot quicker, whereas girls tend to let things simmer for ages and hold grudges a lot.

In my experience single sex schools don't improve behaviour. Theres a hell of a lot of stuff thats gone on in my school, from girls getting pregnant to fights.

I know grades matter and everything and sometimes grades are better in single sex schools but when you leave school, you're grades are essentially just a number on a piece of paper [unless you're completely brilliant, but most people aren't] and unless you have the social skills to help get a job you're going to find it quite tough. I dunno, maybe i'm just biased because i haven't exactly enjoyed going to my school, but i don't really see the point in single sex schools.
heartbreak james
Killjoy
heartbreak james
March 26th, 2008 at 11:07pm
I go to a single sex school and its not as bad as everyone makes it out to be, i prefer going to a single sex school because i know that if i went to a mixed school i would be distracted and i would feel us boys would feel competition towards certain girls. my work would actually suffer tbh. but at the same time it does get boring just being us boys sometimes. but i think in the end i will benefit from it.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. <3
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
March 27th, 2008 at 07:52am
november.:

- Well, yes, I suppose, because you're thrust from a world of having no male /
female friends into a world where you're expected to pair off.

- I suppose it would be an environment shock, so probably the mixed-school kid would cope better.

Umm, just because you go to a single sex school, it doesn't mean you are isolated from the opposite sex. I went to an all girls school, and when I graduated there was no "environment shock" at all. I had guy friends just like girls from co-ed schools had guy friends.
vampirate516
Fabulous Killjoy
vampirate516
April 11th, 2008 at 05:52pm
I think that same sex schools are not necessarly the best way to go becuase when its co-ed you learn how to interact with the opposite sex, you learn how to have a functuable relationship with someone, wheather as just a friend or more, your just exposed to so much more that you cant get at a single sex school. For example if you go to a single sex school all your life, when you graduate you wont have a clue about the opposite gender, and how they act or how they are. However it may be benificial since you dont have such a distraction i guess, but regardless theres going to be distractions and drama no matter what. It just depends on the person and situation wheather or not its best for you.
deathcar.
Jazz Hands
deathcar.
May 21st, 2008 at 05:40pm
Of course not. I go to an all-girls school, and we're encouraged to play sports such as cricket, football, rugby, as well as hockey and netball, which are usually seen as 'girls sports'.

No. Some single sex schools pair up with boys schools: ours does.
We put on shows etc. with the all-boys school near to us. We're given chances to work and interact with boys. Plus, school isn't the only chance for girls to meet boys.

Yes. I do think that some girls mature faster than boys. They also work in different ways. There's nothing wrong with that. Some girls just work better in an all-girl environment.

No, not at all.

I do think that if I went to a mixed school, my grades would not be as good as they are. So, probably.

There will always be bitching. Some girls just feel the need to be like that. An all-girls school won't necessarily have more of a problem with bitchiness than a mixed school.

*How would a student from a co-ed school and a student from a single-sex school differ? in terms of reaction to real life? Who would cope better?
There's no way of knowing. Different people respond differently to different situations.

Yes. I think that being at an all-girl's school has helped me to become more independent, and confident. I know that I don't need to have a boyfriend, and I don't feel the need to throw myself at boys.

I think that sometimes girls find learning by one method easier than boys, and vice-versa. Again, different methods work for different people.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
May 21st, 2008 at 07:51pm
vampirate516:
I think that same sex schools are not necessarly the best way to go becuase when its co-ed you learn how to interact with the opposite sex, you learn how to have a functuable relationship with someone, wheather as just a friend or more, your just exposed to so much more that you cant get at a single sex school. For example if you go to a single sex school all your life, when you graduate you wont have a clue about the opposite gender, and how they act or how they are. However it may be benificial since you dont have such a distraction i guess, but regardless theres going to be distractions and drama no matter what. It just depends on the person and situation wheather or not its best for you.

Read what I wrote above your post; I stated that it's ridiculous to claim that you "won't have a clue" about the opposite gender if you go to a same sex school. How is that possible? Just because you go to a same sex school it doesn't mean you are completely and totally isolated from the opposite sex, unless you make a conscientious effort to be isolated from them. Girls who go to all girls' schools have just as much of an opportunity to make guy friends and have boyfriends, and visa versa for guys. It's kind of insulting to me for you to say that, because I went to an all girls' school. I still interacted with the opposite sex.
HEY AMY
Salute You in Your Grave
HEY AMY
May 22nd, 2008 at 01:41am
^ but some people might not. i know some girls from my school who never interact with the opposite sex. (i go to an all girls school). they dont have brothers, dont go to a youth group, dont have a part time job and they arent allowed to go to the school discos and that. there are plenty of people who dont interact with the opposite sex.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
May 22nd, 2008 at 03:50am
^The point I was trying to make was, don't lump all people who go to same sex schools in the same category. Of course there are going to be people with no experience with the opposite sex, but I'm talking about my personal experience.

So when someone says "when you graduate you won't have a clue about the opposite gender" it annoys me. Not everyone is like that, even if there are people who are.
darenmay
Thinking Happy Thoughts
darenmay
May 28th, 2008 at 05:14am
i'm a teacher in all-girls catholic school.
and yeah lots of bisexual and girl-to-girl relationship.
mind, they're only 12 or 13.
doctor.
In The Murder Scene
doctor.
May 28th, 2008 at 03:18pm
the.reaper.wore.pink:

^^
But doesn't that depend on the pairs themselves?
They could all be very intelligent, they could not be. Some could work better with their sex, others couldn't. The small sample of people involved can not reflect something so wide and general, in my eyes.

I think everything pretty much comes down to the indivuals here. Some people do get totally distracted by the opposite sex but others can get equally distracted by the same sex, maybe not always in the same sexual way, but it still happens.

It depends on how dedicated the people are to their school work. If a student is easily distracted, which ever gender they are surrounded with, they are still likely to become distracted once again.

Just as some people going to single sex schools will never interact with the opposite gender, others will more than often - it einterely depends on how social this person is.

I don't believe that single sex schools are 'thrust away from reality'. To me, they seem as realistic as a mixed school. However, I have been to mixed school since being an infant and, because of this, if I was to go to a single sex school now, I would find this an odd concept. Because it's just not what I am used to.