Don't have an account? Create one!

Single sex schools

AuthorMessage
Jenny.
Jenny.
July 20th, 2008 at 06:44pm
Captain Gerard:

Yes it is. I've been in that position. It distracts you from your schoolwork.

Agreed.
Elsa
Fabulous Killjoy
Elsa
August 17th, 2008 at 10:28am
tip:

NEVER LET YOUR PARENTS FORCE YOU TO GO TO A CATHOLIC GIRLS SCHOOL Sad
xstarlight
Killjoy
xstarlight
September 8th, 2008 at 02:41am
Sadly, I was at an all girls school last year. Aside from the fact that I hated the school in general (and honestly this isn't why I'm against single-sex schools), I really thought it was unnatural. So here's my take (Mostly referring to all-girls environments)

I know they say it'll keep us from getting distracted, but that statement in itself just degrades us. Really? We girls are just going to throw all of our education out the window because there's a cute guy sitting next to us? Maybe a select few would do that, but for the most part, I'd say no. People are smarter than that.

Most colleges are co-ed; most schools in general are co-ed, and I'm pretty sure any girl who's a good student with a decent head on her shoulders does fine.

Half of the population is male. You're going to be interacting with them quite a lot if you plan to live on planet earth. What's the point of sheltering them in school?

On another note, the all-girl atmosphere was just sort of obnoxious for me.

If you disagree that's okay. Maybe it is the right place for some people. I just think that on a whole it doesn't seem natural...
no face.
Awake and Unafraid
no face.
September 8th, 2008 at 02:55am
I could only endure 4 weeks at one, the amount of bitchiness in the place was just ridiculous because theres no boys to distract their time, they seem to think its funner to just pick on what everyones doing with themselves, their hair and everything. and yes the 'lesbian' thing, I have no issue with it but the assumptions that go on.

I think they're awful imo because as its said, interaction in a social environment in school with the opposite sex is quite important, not everyone has a job or anything Neutral
Emerald Muerte
Bleeding on the Floor
Emerald Muerte
September 8th, 2008 at 03:58am
Bert McCracken:

I think they're awful imo because as its said, interaction in a social environment in school with the opposite sex is quite important, not everyone has a job or anything Neutral

I agree. I got to a Catholic Girls Highschool and we have no interaction whatsoever with boys through our schooling. We used to have socials [dances] every now and then with the neighbouring boy's schools but they've cut all that out due to a few girls in my year who got drunk and brought alcohol with them to the last one. This would be okay I guess, but our school starts from intermediate [11 year olds], and they too have been banned from the socials meaning, unless they do something outside of school, they will never get the opportunity to know how to react in a boy's presence. I think that's really sad.
We do get a ball in Yr 13 [final year] but that's restricted to our neighbouring catholic boy's school, and you aren't allowed to bring a female partner if you're a girl. [vice-versa for boys] It's pretty sick.

Desert Sky:

tip:

NEVER LET YOUR PARENTS FORCE YOU TO GO TO A CATHOLIC GIRLS SCHOOL

Amen to that.
Emerald Muerte
Bleeding on the Floor
Emerald Muerte
September 8th, 2008 at 04:01am
ignore.
green llama
Bleeding on the Floor
green llama
September 10th, 2008 at 09:37am
In my opinion, single sex schools can be better because in an all-girls school, there are no fights over guys, and girls will probably pay more attention to schoolwork instead of trying to impress the boys in their classes. In an all-boys school, there are less fights over girls. I go to a co-ed public school, and most of the violence is because of guys fighting over girlfriends. I'd definitely feel more comfortable in an all-girls school.

The bad thing about co-ed schools is that if you go to a single sex school all your life and than graduate and go to a co-ed college or something, than you might not know a lot about dating. You could be easily manipulated or not know much about socializing with the other sex. But still, this could be prevented by having mulitple single sex schools gather for dances, field trips, etc.
geradsredskittle666
Really Not Okay
geradsredskittle666
September 17th, 2008 at 01:14am
Single sex schools are a nightmare. I went to an all girls school and it was so bad. Everyone bitched about everyone. Poeple spread rumers about you every day. Everyone had there own clique and populars run the school. Poeple were friends coz of status not for the friendship thing. The girls were sluts and there shirts were so short you could see there undies when they bent over. They wore too much make up...I'm talking barbie girl make up here.

I switched to a co-ed school and the differences are huge. No body bitches about you. Poeple are friends to be friends. There are no cliques. No body over does make up. And all the boys and girls get along well.
nevergetmealive
Joining The Black Parade
nevergetmealive
September 17th, 2008 at 03:49am
i go to a single sex catholic high school and its terrible, i ahve always gotton along with guys and have lots of guys friends, and having seperate girls and guys schools are terrible beacuse it makes people who arent used to hanging with the opposite sex even more uncomfortable, as there is more inter-school hating and fights. We get egged contantly from one of the boys high schools near us and many girls do just no know how to act around guys.
it helps everyone be able to get along better if they are in the same school becuase ther're arent as many upfront attacks, because of school rivalry and having over 1000 girls bitching with no guys to buffer sucks.
nevergetmealive
Joining The Black Parade
nevergetmealive
September 17th, 2008 at 03:52am
oh and to add on, im from Sydney and there are no co-ed schools, which i think id wrong, we should have a choice in the matter, im changing school for my two senior years next year to a co-ed school which also has no uniforma dn works much better for the students to learn but also to be able to relax, proving that schools dont have to be one-sex to be able to function.
sciencefreak897
Banned
sciencefreak897
September 17th, 2008 at 03:09pm
I wouldn't say their overrated, but i wouldn't say that we need them either.

I think that it should be the parents choice... Parents know best!
mega_n
Killjoy
mega_n
September 18th, 2008 at 03:51pm
i go to a single sex school and i hate it, i know absolutely no guys which is really fustrating and my school it sthe bitchiest shcool ever, 5 people in my year last year left because of the bitching, but considering we only have like 75 in our year now. . .
Crampy-is-cool
Killjoy
Crampy-is-cool
September 25th, 2008 at 07:04am
lol. i hate single sex schools especially catholic ones. It's one of the most annoying things ever, we need some balance, some different opinions instead of all girls having the same fucking opinion!

and bitching is one of the most irritating things ever, the amount of rumors that go around that are absolutly so unture and made up its funny.

and finallly! homophobes. Im straight myself but still there has been so many rumors going around even about myself that we are lesbians and the shock on the peoples faces and the bitching that goes on. Now that these rumors have gone around you get stares and wispers whenever your around. its stupid!

and finally the whole girls cant take girls to the formal is terrible as some girls should be intitled to take who they want to their formal, just because they go to an all girls school.

although i know its catholic and it goes against the bible. homophones and bitching two main problems at an all girls catholic school.
WildEyedxJoker
Killjoy
WildEyedxJoker
October 1st, 2008 at 09:21pm
I've never been to a single-sex school, but here's my opinion..

~It's not right. Children need to be comfortable with the other sex as well as their own to properly carry on with life.
~I don't see how you could get "distracted" by the other sex. (Well, I see the point of having crushes and all that, but still. It doesn't affect any of your actual schoolwork)
~Isn't it just plain sexist ?
~When you're in one, usually it makes you get the wrong idea about the opposite sex.

But apart from all those, single-sex schools are pretty much fine, since my best friend goes to one..
nevergetmealive
Joining The Black Parade
nevergetmealive
October 2nd, 2008 at 06:41am
^^mines exactly the same! its terrible, and definatley with the rumours although alot of them tend to be ridiculous and actually quite funny when you think about it..like theres one that me adn some of my friends and their boyfriends have a love hexagon :/....catholic schools are way to suffocating
BlueJay
Killjoy
BlueJay
October 5th, 2008 at 05:02pm
I go to a single-sex school so I feel the need to chime in. I do really like my school and it's a really nice environment. It's not perfect, that I'm sure of. The teachers are nosy, sometimes girls are girls and they're catty. I have to say though...we have contact with boys. Both in and out of school. The all-boy school is just down the street from mine. We do plays together and dances. Our teachers(the all-girls schools) do say that we shouldn't visit them, but the all-boys school teachers seem okay with it. I just thought I'd give you all my personal perspective of same-sex schools. I think that it all depends where the school is at. My school is a well known school and we're in the city. So it's not like we're secluded from the rest of the world. That said, those nuns still give me the heebess... Shocked They're strict. Oh and the uniform code is strict too. Hope this added to the discussion. Very Happy
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
October 7th, 2008 at 07:42am
I'm not sure if anyone has brought this up but there have been a lot of studies done (like this one) that show that the young male and young female minds do, in fact, learn differently.

It's not all about wanting to seperate you from boys -- although as an adult that sees *way* too many teen pregnancies, I would advocate it in my area if I could -- it's about finding your best learning potential to help you become a better, more educated person.

I do see the argument of "Well I never get to interact with boys" and I agree that there needs to be some mixers and some events planned that are co-ed. I guess I liken it to home-school; done well, they socialize often with other home-schoolers and also with some public school children, done poorly, they never interact with anyone save their parent and end up socially stunted. There's a line there, and it's up to the educators to ensure that the social aspects are dealt with as well as the educational.
x..touching_hands..x
Really Not Okay
x..touching_hands..x
October 7th, 2008 at 08:56am
I went to an all girls school, so I can tell you a little about it from my point of view. Having always been a tomboyish kind of girl, a lot of my friends growing up and at my primary school had been boys. Then at my secondary (high) school, that was taken away from me. I felt insecure and nervous, but tried to make the best of it.

There was a lot of bullying, always directed at the less pretty and less girly girls, and the teachers weren't really bothered by it. There was a mixed school next door to ours, and we were not allowed to walk to school with a member of the opposite sex.

There were a few male teachers, and some of them would sleep with the older students (15/16). Most of my classmates were boy mad, and only talked about boys all day.

Despite being intelligent and someone who loves to learn, I started skiving off to volunteer at a theatre, which some of the older college students in my youth theatre did.

Without a doubt, that school put me off academic learning for years, and is probably the reason I waited until I was 22 to go to university. It also took me years to feel comfortable making friends with girls, because my confidence was so shaken by the years of bullying.

I'm sure that it's true that men and women learn differently, yet it's also true that individuals all learn differently. I think that single sex schools can be a good idea but often are now outdated, and refuse to modernise to teach the students, I would say especially the female students, of this day. They are often wrapped up in archaic institutions and enforcements, much to the detriment of those they teach.
Incognito.
Bleeding on the Floor
Incognito.
October 8th, 2008 at 06:39pm
I go to a single-sex anglican school. Its like the worlds biggest bitch-fight all day everyday.
It's actually quite amusing to watch....
samantha connolly
In The Murder Scene
samantha connolly
October 8th, 2008 at 07:42pm
I'd just like to again remind people this is a thread for the discussion of the merit of the schools, not JUST your own experiences.
If you experiences help prove your point, go ahead and post them. But just posts like "I attend an all-girls school, I hate it" don't really further the discussion...
Thank you, guys!