Don't have an account? Create one!

Single sex schools

AuthorMessage
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
July 28th, 2007 at 04:36pm
Homicidal Hobbit:
I have been to an all girls school for as long as I can remember...

*Is the bitchiness worse in all-girls school than co-ed schools?
YES. YES YES YES YES YES YES.
If you've been to an all girls school for as long as you can remember, how do you know what the "bitchiness" level is in a co-ed school?
Tragic.
Banned
Tragic.
July 28th, 2007 at 10:42pm
I used to be in a co-ed school when I lived here in Florida, but when I moved I started studying in an all-girls school.
It's horribleeee.
I mean, if you have your friends and everything, it's cool.
But, I mean if you don't do everything like everybody they will treat you differently..
bright lights x x
Really Not Okay
bright lights x x
July 29th, 2007 at 11:56pm
Tragic.:
I used to be in a co-ed school when I lived here in Florida, but when I moved I started studying in an all-girls school.
It's horribleeee.
I mean, if you have your friends and everything, it's cool.
But, I mean if you don't do everything like everybody they will treat you differently..

i go to a co-ed school and i can barely deal with the girls there
i cant imagine an ALL girls school
idk about any of your schools but mine is horrible
girls are just waaaaaay too dramatical
the.reaper.wore.pink
Motor Baby
the.reaper.wore.pink
July 31st, 2007 at 01:55pm
sometimes girls there are boy-crazy

all-girls school tend to be very conservative
beautiful_letdown216
Killjoy
beautiful_letdown216
August 7th, 2007 at 03:41am
I went to a mixed school until i was 13 (8th grade) and i definately think equal exposure to BOTH enviroments is the best.
scarred4life
Killjoy
scarred4life
August 7th, 2007 at 03:56am
I really think that same sex schools aren't such a good idea. sure you are more comfortable, but once you get out of there you go straight into a) a college...and as far as i know they are as co-ed as humanly possible b) to a job where most of the time you do have to interact with the opposite sex or c) you do something else that's totally weird to avoid the opposite sex to maintain what you were used to before. either way, if you don't learn to get used to being around the opposite sex when you're a kid, as in before you're "set in your ways", then it might be harder to do when you get older. I gone to a mixed school my whole life and that has been great! i have friends that are girls and boys. if I'd gone to a same sex school then i would have only been friends with girls and then thought that boys were some strange kind of creature that should be wiped off the face of the earth. by separating the genders you pretty much don't let kids realize that girls and boys are all people, it's like having a different school for every race, but if you do that then it's called racism because you separate everyone because you think of them as different, everyone's different but we're all people, and people should be able to get an education with ALL other people, not just their own genders.
Carpe Noctum
Jazz Hands
Carpe Noctum
August 7th, 2007 at 05:37am
without going into too much detail, i think that single sex schools are a bad idea.
They promote a heightened curiosity of the opposite sex which can turn out to be detrimental to an individual...

well, that's my opinion anywho
Addicted;;
Killjoy
Addicted;;
August 8th, 2007 at 07:12pm
Same sex schools are just...dumb, for lack of a better word.

Life isn't same sex, is it? No. Whether its in your job, or at a cafe, or wherever, you will have to interact with members of the opposite sex.

Take for example, a girl is 13 and she has gone to a single sex school her whole life. What if a girl comes in from a public school, and has "done things" with a guy before? Of course the other girls will get curious, and it will make the girls easier to take advantage of later in life. Following me here, people?

Another thing, when the girl turns 18 and gets out of school, she may go wild. She'll do everything she didn't experience (kissing, whatever) then. And it will probably wind up being ALOT worse than kissing someone on the bus. ALOT.

At least that's what I think.
Alx_Aoide
Fabulous Killjoy
Alx_Aoide
August 8th, 2007 at 09:01pm
Addicted;;:
Same sex schools are just...dumb, for lack of a better word.

Life isn't same sex, is it? No. Whether its in your job, or at a cafe, or wherever, you will have to interact with members of the opposite sex.

Take for example, a girl is 13 and she has gone to a single sex school her whole life. What if a girl comes in from a public school, and has "done things" with a guy before? Of course the other girls will get curious, and it will make the girls easier to take advantage of later in life. Following me here, people?

Another thing, when the girl turns 18 and gets out of school, she may go wild. She'll do everything she didn't experience (kissing, whatever) then. And it will probably wind up being ALOT worse than kissing someone on the bus. ALOT.

At least that's what I think.

Single sex schools are not dumb. I spent four years in a co-ed high school before deciding to attend a women's college. Unfortuantely, this past year, the board of trustees decided to make the school co-ed this year due to financial struggles (as only 3% of women taking the SAT have any interest in attending women's colleges). But from my one year of single-sex education, I know what the benefits of a single-sex institution can be. The women at my school are some of the most intelligent, creative, confident women I have ever met. Studies show that women actually do better in single-sex institutions than in co-ed ones. And what women learn in these sorts of institutions transfer very well into the workplace.

Furthermore, at women's colleges, the women tend to worry less about what clothes and makeup and more about different clubs, organizations, and classes.
Foxy_Roxy
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Foxy_Roxy
August 12th, 2007 at 01:27pm
I go to a single sex school (girls). And my peers are overwhelmed by the idea of boys, and they really shouldn't be, they've ended up with a really skewed idea of what the world is like. By the time they get to college they are going to be so easily led - purely because they didn't have the knowledge or experience about what boys are actually like.
I now wish i went to a co-ed - I miss male company.
Foxy_Roxy
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Foxy_Roxy
August 12th, 2007 at 01:27pm
ignore - double post Disgust
mcr_vimto
Killjoy
mcr_vimto
August 12th, 2007 at 04:36pm
i think single sex schools are completely wrong and there is no need for them and if i would hate to be in a single sex school because you would not be able to experience some things. Disgust
Foxy_Roxy
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Foxy_Roxy
August 12th, 2007 at 05:02pm
I agree with mcr-vimto, there is no real reason why single sex schools should still exist - it's a pretty archaic way of organizing the education system - there's no need for them.
mcr_vimto
Killjoy
mcr_vimto
August 12th, 2007 at 08:41pm
ta foxy_roxy but my names now mcr_vimto
stalwart vagabond.
Salute You in Your Grave
stalwart vagabond.
August 13th, 2007 at 02:13am
*Do single sex schools strengthen sex stereotypes? ; I think this depends solely on the individual. Although it may cause one's opinion to change about things depending on one's surroundings.

*Are boys really that different from girls?; In the end we are all human. The difference between us all is not just gender but everything that makes us unique. Gender does, although, create stereotypes that make people believe that our genders are very different. So no, I do not think we are that different.

*Do you really get distracted by the opposite sex?; Personally I do not get distracted. I'm the sort of person who purely has no interest in having romantic relationships for a reason.

*Is the bitchiness worse in all-girls school than co-ed schools?; I think that many a cat-fight is caused by girls fighting over boys. But that doesn't mean that without the male gender there wont be any disagreements. But girls are usually quick to be 'bitchy' to one another. I'm not sure if i could give a solid answer.

*How would a student from a co-ed school and a student from a single-sex school differ? in terms of reaction to real life? Who would cope better?; I think the student from the co-ed school would cope better seeing as how the student has been exposed to a bigger variety of situations.

*Do you believe that gender does affect learning?; For certain people it may, personally it wouldn't bother me, but it does present a variable in the education process for many.
Historia.
Bleeding on the Floor
Historia.
August 15th, 2007 at 11:41am
Ignore.
Historia.
Bleeding on the Floor
Historia.
August 15th, 2007 at 11:48am
I don't think you can say single sex schools in general.
Because every school is different.

In England certain politicians are against grammer schools.
Grammer schools are selective and people seem to think it's wrong to divide.
But the reason we divide is so that we can learn at different levels.
I go to an all girl grammer school and I don't see why it's unfair for us to learn at higher levels when we're perfectly capable of doing so.

I agree with having single sex grammer schools, because they're around to make you learn better. But I don't see the point in having other single sex schools that aren't selective on other bases apart from sex.
Kid__
Always Born a Crime
Kid__
August 15th, 2007 at 02:41pm
I've only ever been to co-ed schools, and I'm really grateful for that because I've realised I'm more comfortable being friends with guys than I am with girls.
I've also noticed that some people, not all people but some narrow-minded people, assume that just because you go to a same-sex school, you're obviously gay and that's the only reason you're there.

Personally, I think that girls and boys try harder in different subjects, because of the ideas of what's a girls subject and what's a boys. That's only because fifty-odd years ago, it was only girls who did Home Ec and only boys who did Woodwork. Now things are changing, but those subjects still have the gender-specific image. That's why people think "Girls do better at this but boys do better at this". It's nothing to do with how we learn, it's to do with the image that the subject has.
And no matter which type of school you go to, you'll still find bitchiness with both sexes because you'll never be up to everyone's standards. People are always going to find something to bitch about.
saved by a sword
Fabulous Killjoy
saved by a sword
August 16th, 2007 at 03:50am
i've never gone to a single sex school, and i don't think they're dumb.
my best friend is going to go to an all girls school for the first time this coming year. i think that all girls schools can stregthen the bond between girls. but i don't think guys are a distraction in school. some girls get bad grades because they "play dumb" to impress guys, but in general, most girls don't.
the.reaper.wore.pink
Motor Baby
the.reaper.wore.pink
August 16th, 2007 at 08:50am
i think that single sex schools tend to be a bit elitist. they improve already good students while leaving, mediocre students to cope with their mediocrity themselves. that happens in my school, which is a single-sex school, so it is just my opinion