Don't have an account? Create one!

Single sex schools

AuthorMessage
conor oberst.
Bleeding on the Floor
conor oberst.
May 30th, 2008 at 12:19am
i'd hate to go to a single sex school
i hate most of the guys in my class, not to say i don't have guy friend. but the ones in my class are fags.
i don't think it aids the learning to just have one sex. infact boys and girls have varied opinions on things, and it's healitier to have mixed views.
malibu.
In the Cannibal Glow
malibu.
May 30th, 2008 at 03:53am
I can't remember if I've posted here before... Oh well. Mr. Green
I went to an all girls school for 9 years. I liked it because you can all relate to each other and the bitchiness is on a lower level. But it also sucks because you get used to not having boys around and if you ever meet one, it's more akward than say, a person who has been to a co-ed school. It's definatley like that for me.
The interaction with the opposite sex; As I said before, it's a bit harder to make friends/get in a relationship with the opposite sex if you're not used to being around that gender. It does suck, but apart from that single sex schools are good, imo.
HEY AMY
Salute You in Your Grave
HEY AMY
May 30th, 2008 at 04:15am
^ really? i found that bitchiness is a lot higher in an all girls school.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
May 30th, 2008 at 04:34pm
I remember reading an article that said that guys benefit from co-ed schools, and girls from single-sex ones.
facepalm.
Jazz Hands
facepalm.
June 1st, 2008 at 06:17am
I go to a single sex selective grammer.
There is hardly and bitchiness at all, and we're pretty much surrounded by boys schools so its pretty good in that sense. It just depends on the school, I guess. At my one, there's cliques, yes, but we all get along well and everyone is just themselves. We're like... St Trinians, but we're all academic. That's the only way to describe it.
Like I said, I really depends on the school.
Stop!
Bleeding on the Floor
Stop!
June 1st, 2008 at 06:41am
i go to an all girls school.
and i think it is good and bad.
good because i reackon it is easier to concentrate.
but bad because all throughout life we have to interact with the opposite sex and seperating girls and boys makes it a lot harder to do that. well for me anyway.
and the whole bitchiness thing.
i dont know if its a lot different but my friend moved to a co-ed school and she said that she that she is doing a lot better grade-wise than she was before so...
yeah
Rainbow_Vampire
Killjoy
Rainbow_Vampire
June 4th, 2008 at 02:37am
I go to an all girls school and I quite like it. Apart from having no freedom I'd say it's better.
Xfamousxlastxwords
Killjoy
Xfamousxlastxwords
June 4th, 2008 at 07:20pm
i personally dont like the way that schools sperate people i meen girls can be just as smart as guys and guys can be just as smart as girls...
hunteri heroici.
Always Born a Crime
hunteri heroici.
June 5th, 2008 at 02:05pm
My opinion is that single sex schools are just plainly wrong. Kids go there to get educated, mostly about life. School represents the whole society to a child. So, how is a child supposed to know about sex and relationships between the two sexes if they've only learned about their sex? Think about it.
HEY AMY
Salute You in Your Grave
HEY AMY
June 5th, 2008 at 09:59pm
^ Students can learn to interact with the other sex in many other ways. Single sex schools really aren't that bad.
I go to an all girls school, and aside from it being very strict, it's a really good school.
People go to go to school to get educated, and theres no differenc in what they learn in co-ed or single sex schools. All schools have to be taught the same syllabus. And there are so many people who have gone to single sex schools, and are coping perfectly in the 'real world'.
Who's to say that theres a difference and one is unable to cope?!
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
June 6th, 2008 at 12:51am
Sad As In Pathetic;:
My opinion is that single sex schools are just plainly wrong. Kids go there to get educated, mostly about life. School represents the whole society to a child. So, how is a child supposed to know about sex and relationships between the two sexes if they've only learned about their sex? Think about it.

They don't just learn about "their sex". I found that sex education in an all girls school was basically the same as sex education in a co-ed school (I've experienced both). The only difference was that there were no annoying 14 year old boys immaturely laughing and making a scene every time the teacher said "penis" or "vagina".

Trust me, just because you go to a same sex school, it doesn't mean your knowledge of the birds and the bees is any less than that of a co-ed raised kid.

I seemed to turn out quite okay.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
June 6th, 2008 at 03:12pm
I have never been to a single-sex school, but personally, I can't imagine my school without the guys...a lot of my friends are guys, and I like having them there. Different gender's brains work a little differently, so it's interesting to see something from a different perspective, but a drawback of that is that the teaching style may be more suited to one gender.
Radio Saturday
Salute You in Your Grave
Radio Saturday
June 7th, 2008 at 05:28am
I'm currently teaching (yeah, I know) at a very small single-sex school. Partly because it's so small, there's less bitchiness and backstabbery than there could be, but it's also difficult because if one girl misbehaves, because the school's so small, it's assumed that all the girls were in on it, and they all suffer the consequences.

However, I don't think single-sex education is a bad thing. I do think that controlled socialization can and should take place between boys' and girls' schools, though. That's one of the problems we have here: The woman who runs the girls' school is very paranoid about the girls being around boys, so virtually any kind of socialization between them is forbidden. As some of the girls have pointed out to me, this is self-defeating -- because just by talking to boys they're breaking rules, they're much more likely to think, "Oh, well, since I'm already misbehaving I might as well keep right on doing it."

Basically, I think single-sex schools are a good thing, but there does need to be that social element. Things like doing plays together, teas and other arranged, chaperoned opportunities to socialize. I think it's very important that kids learn how to be friends with the opposite sex, learn how to just be polite and courteous, instead of always seeking to create some kind of romantic-sexual relationship.

Incidentally, though, I don't think that very many coed schools do this well, either. So it's really a very important thing.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
June 7th, 2008 at 01:22pm
Nightmare Anatomy.:
I used to go t a single sex CATHOLIC girls school.

I learnt less, Got less social, We didnt learn about sex education, We didnt learn about anything of any importance.
We didnt get to read any GOOD books for english because since it's a catholic school, All oldf books with any mention of witchcraft nor tales was banned.

And basically: People learn better in a both sector environment.

All of the issues you mentioned had zero to do with the fact that it was an all-girls' school - it was all based on the Catholicism. So that opinion is unfounded by the info you gave us. O.o
ghettoboxrancid
Killjoy
ghettoboxrancid
June 15th, 2008 at 02:36pm
I'd say that some of these sweeping generalizations about single-sex schools are pretty crazy, but I'll give my two cents.

I spent my k-12 education in the co-ed public school system, then made the choice to attend the largest women's college in the country (Smith College).

Pros:
Over the past year, I have become so much more confident and more comfortable with my sexuality. I can only speak from experience when I say that at a women's college, there is noting holding you back from saying what is on your mind.
Everybody is so incredibly smart, talented, and dedicated to their work that the school has created, in many instances, an inspiring environment. At home I get along with guys more than girls, but the type of people who go to my school are not conscientiously catty or bitchy.
The thing about single-sex education at the collegiate level, is that these women have CHOSEN to attend this school. They are not coming to college to just party it up, meet a husband, and make babies--they are serious about learning and because of that, they tend to get a more academic experience.

Cons:
Of course I miss the male perspective in the classroom once in a while, and I do miss male company, but in an all female environment, you form really strong relationships with your peers. I miss guys a lot socially, but it makes everything all the more exciting when you come home. Some girls tend to be slightly desparate, which gets annoying and old fast. Most of the desperate girls are first-years and they get over it by like, November of their first semester, haha. Other than those few things, I can't see any cons. I mean, it's easy to say that single-sex education leaves you lacking social skills, but I think any school can do tha. I think the results can vary from person to person, and that self-confidence can be conducive to forming relationships with the opposite sex, so if a person is lacking confidence, then yeah, they might have a hard time.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
June 15th, 2008 at 07:54pm
^ I can definitely see the advantages of single-sex colleges. In colleges, there's probably more dating, and more freedom to do things than in say, high school, so having the other gender around is more distracting? there. Also, you would already know the other gender quite a bit if you had been in co-ed from K-12.
Alx_Aoide
Fabulous Killjoy
Alx_Aoide
June 16th, 2008 at 03:23pm
ghettoboxrancid:
I'd say that some of these sweeping generalizations about single-sex schools are pretty crazy, but I'll give my two cents.

I spent my k-12 education in the co-ed public school system, then made the choice to attend the largest women's college in the country (Smith College).

Pros:
Over the past year, I have become so much more confident and more comfortable with my sexuality. I can only speak from experience when I say that at a women's college, there is noting holding you back from saying what is on your mind.
Everybody is so incredibly smart, talented, and dedicated to their work that the school has created, in many instances, an inspiring environment. At home I get along with guys more than girls, but the type of people who go to my school are not conscientiously catty or bitchy.
The thing about single-sex education at the collegiate level, is that these women have CHOSEN to attend this school. They are not coming to college to just party it up, meet a husband, and make babies--they are serious about learning and because of that, they tend to get a more academic experience.

Cons:
Of course I miss the male perspective in the classroom once in a while, and I do miss male company, but in an all female environment, you form really strong relationships with your peers. I miss guys a lot socially, but it makes everything all the more exciting when you come home. Some girls tend to be slightly desparate, which gets annoying and old fast. Most of the desperate girls are first-years and they get over it by like, November of their first semester, haha. Other than those few things, I can't see any cons. I mean, it's easy to say that single-sex education leaves you lacking social skills, but I think any school can do tha. I think the results can vary from person to person, and that self-confidence can be conducive to forming relationships with the opposite sex, so if a person is lacking confidence, then yeah, they might have a hard time.

I absolutely agree with all of this. That is exactly what I experienced in the one year I attened RMWC before it went co-ed a year ago. I had more of a social life in a single-sex environment than from 12+ years of a co-ed environment.
SisterOfTheRose
Jazz Hands
SisterOfTheRose
June 17th, 2008 at 09:08am
Never been to a single sex school but my biology teacher used to go an all-female boarding school and she said it was a complete nightmare especially when a certain time of the month came along. Personally I think interaction with the opposite sex is an important part of development, even at a young age. There shouldn't be separation during the early years as it will cause separation later in life and people of the opposite sex won't know how to communicate with or understand each other.
Whoa-x
Killjoy
Whoa-x
June 17th, 2008 at 12:52pm
I go to a all girls school.
And im always getting called a lesbain down my street by the people who go dont go there.
It just really gets on my nerves.
Plus im just recently came out that im bisexual, So that doesnt help.

I think it doesnt matter what sex your school is, i mean, theres the bitchy ness in a all girls school, but theres no boys so theres no need to faff about with make up ... ect...

Hmmmm, thats what i think.
the.reaper.wore.pink
Motor Baby
the.reaper.wore.pink
June 18th, 2008 at 06:44am
AnythingButOrdinary:
I remember reading an article that said that guys benefit from co-ed schools, and girls from single-sex ones.

i did too