Don't have an account? Create one!

Single sex schools

AuthorMessage
Alx_Aoide
Fabulous Killjoy
Alx_Aoide
November 14th, 2007 at 02:22pm
^It really just depends what you take from the experience. For me, I experienced more at a single-sex institution. I learned how to be more confident and to stand up for myself whereas at a co-ed school, I was just shy and nervous around everyone.
ThinkxHappyxThoughts
Joining The Black Parade
ThinkxHappyxThoughts
November 14th, 2007 at 09:58pm
Do single sex schools strengthen sex stereotypes? I don't think so necessarily. Unless you're stupid and believe everything you see in the movies, where in all-girls schools they wear short plaid skirts and giggle all the time.
*Is the environment provided by single sex schools unrealistic? I don't think so. I'm in a co-ed public school, but my algebra class is all girls. I think it just keeps us from getting distracted by guys goofing off, but I wouldn't want all my classes to be like that.
*Are boys really that different from girls? Yes and no. They mature a looooot slower. And they want different things. But eh, we're all human. I couldn't imagine that we're ALL that different.
*Is the interaction with the opposite sex compromised in single sex education? Possibly. It's up to the child and the parents to make sure they know how to act around the opposite sex and stuff. And with like extracurriculars they might be with the opposite sex.

*Do you really get distracted by the opposite sex? /I/ don't. But many girls do.
*Is the bitchiness worse in all-girls school than co-ed schools? I would not know.
*How would a student from a co-ed school and a student from a single-sex school differ? in terms of reaction to real life? Who would cope better? I think that a co-ed school would give them a better idea of coping, they'd know how guys are and stuff. But I think that depending on the person it'd differ.
*Can you really experience sex equality if the sexes are segregated? I'd say it'd depend on the school.
*Is democracy in school just an illusion? Haha, yes, we are told when to go, where to go, what to do, when to do it, how to do it, etc. There is no democracy in school.
*Do you believe that gender does affect learning? To a point. But in general, I don't think so.
Diana_a7x
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Diana_a7x
November 17th, 2007 at 01:31am
I think Co-ed schools is where a person may expierence more.
river phoenix.
Salute You in Your Grave
river phoenix.
November 17th, 2007 at 06:38pm
the.reaper.wore.pink:
hmmm...who do you think experiences more in life, a person from a co-ed school or a single sex schhol?

I think that depends more on the quality of the school than single or co-ed. The more exclusive schools like private schools have different experiences that those at state schools, but neither of them experience more of life -- they just experience a differnt type of life.
Diana_a7x
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Diana_a7x
November 17th, 2007 at 08:09pm
^^Yeah I agree it depends on the quality of school
Sonnet 130
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Sonnet 130
November 19th, 2007 at 06:12pm
Do single sex schools strengthen sex stereotypes?

Does this mean that if you go to an all girls school then your seen as a "dyke"?
because if it does then that's what everyone thinks about the all girls school where i live. But the school as one of the highest teenage pregnancy's rates in my city.

Is the environment provided by single sex schools unrealistic?

Yes, because in everyday life and when you go on to get a job you are going to be working with the other gender.

Do you really get distracted by the opposite sex?

It all depends on what type of person you are and if you do get distracted easily.

Is the bitchiness worse in all-girls school than co-ed schools?

Well the school i go to we spent two years in an all girls class and the same girls the next year. The "bitchiness" was worse. The class i was in had set groups of friends, and the "bitchiness actually caused three girls to move schools.

How would a student from a co-ed school and a student from a single-sex school differ? in terms of reaction to real life? Who would cope better?

I think that a student from a single sex school would find it harder in terms of real life. Like to do with the fact of working with the other sex in the workplace.

Can you really experience sex equality if the sexes are segregated?

no, you obviously need the other sex there to experience this.
Load. Aim. Shoot.
Killjoy
Load. Aim. Shoot.
November 20th, 2007 at 03:17pm
*Do single sex schools strengthen sex stereotypes?
I go to a single sex school and have loads of friends from normal schools and we have the same kind of views on the different sexes.
*Is the environment provided by single sex schools unrealistic?
It's not unrealistic - it's not we don't know about anything other than what we're taught and know nothing of the opposite sex.
*Are boys really that different from girls?
As most people know, boys mature more slowly than girls and so in lessons they're a lot more hyperactive and obviously girls and boys have different likes and dislikes, but overall they're not entirely different.
*Is the interaction with the opposite sex compromised in single sex education?
No, because although girls from other schools will spend more inschool time hours with boys, I don't know of any girls that don't know any guys and has no guy friends.
*Do you really get distracted by the opposite sex?
From the atmosphere in the classroom I would say that when boys and girls are in the same lessons and school and all that, then they act so differently. I went to a normal primary school, then joined a single sex high school and the lessons run a lot more smoothly, because there is no one showing off the impress the opposite sex. The relationship between everyone in the class is a lot more unified aswell - everyone is friends with nearly everyone [though I'm sure not all single sex schools are like this]. No one worries about their appearance when they go to school, because there's only friends there and no guys to impress, so you feel more free. It's easier to concentrate because you're not worried about looking like a boff in front of boys. So, yes, the opposite sexes do distract each other.
*Is the bitchiness worse in all-girls school than co-ed schools?
It depends. Girls in co-ed schools will bitch and make other girls look worse to make themselves look better in boys eyes. However, in all-girls schools they've locked up a bunch of girls together - bitching is totally expected every day!
*How would a student from a co-ed school and a student from a single-sex school differ? in terms of reaction to real life? Who would cope better?
That wouldn't depend on the sex in schools, that would depend on the schools themselves and whether they inform and prepare the students for life after school.
*Can you really experience sex equality if the sexes are segregated?
As long as the two sexes are treated the same, yes.
*Is democracy in school just an illusion?
The depends on the school. With a school council, students choose reps to present their ideas and thoughts, but school councils are normally headed by teachers. So, it's more that teachers choose most things, but some schools are a complete democracy.
*Do you believe that gender does affect learning?
Yes. I believe that students can learn better in single-sex schools - there is less distraction.

^Cor that went on for a bit, sorry!
the.reaper.wore.pink
Motor Baby
the.reaper.wore.pink
November 23rd, 2007 at 08:11am
so, what do you guys say on this claim that the environment in a single sex school is unrealistic because a person misses out on what is it like to compete with the opposite sex. FIne, s/he may know a lot of other people of the opposite sex but does s/he actually know what its like competing with them?
Alx_Aoide
Fabulous Killjoy
Alx_Aoide
November 24th, 2007 at 06:19am
There are plenty examples of women who've gone from women's colleges to excelling in the real world. Many women currently in congress as well as prominent lawyers, business women are alums of women's colleges. Pearl S. Buck was an alum from my school (the author of the book The Good Earth), and Hillary Clinton is a Wellesely alumnae.
yoey962
Bleeding on the Floor
yoey962
November 28th, 2007 at 11:53am
Is the environment provided by single sex schools unrealistic?
i think the environment provided by single sex schools is a completely unnatural environment. after spending 5 yearsin that type of education, with almost all female teachers as well, i have the strong opinion that i do not think it is good for people. you do not learn how to interact with the other sex, and you spend so much time fantasising and planning how it would be once you were able to have contact witht hem, that nothing then lives up to your expectations. for some this little "bubble" is a good thing, but for many, it is a frustrating and detrimental process.

Do you really get distracted by the opposite sex?
yes, i personally do get verydistracted by the antics of the opposite sex. many a night i have had work to do, yet i insist on talking to a guy to find out what he thinks of me, or talk to him to see where we are going in a relationship. but then again, people are always gona have to deal with the fact that they are going to have relationships and they have to deal with the distractions. you can't entirely blame the opposite sex for when you start to not do so well (as i have had happen on 2 ocasions - they blamed my boyfriend for my downturn in results, even expelling one of them) i think people need to take responsibility for themselves and stop blaming the fact that "the opposite sex distracts them" for the way they are.

Can you really experience sex equality if the sexes are segregated?
i think that it can help the equality of the sexes. for example, having spent 5 years of my education in an all girl class, with strong women for my teachers, i have learnt not to take any flak from people who say that a woman "is second class". i have a much higher self esteem, and i have a lot more confidence in the fact that i am a good person who deserves to be listened to - by men or women. therefore, i think single sex education helps, as the products of this system are much more willing to stand up for their rights.
never coming home.
Bleeding on the Floor
never coming home.
November 30th, 2007 at 12:48am
---I don't think that single-sex school's make people perverts or gay/lesbians. It really is the person choice on how outwardly perverted they want to be. As for making them gay/lesbians, you can't control what sex you like more, it's kind of like how you can't control your gender. I'm straight, and I go to a public co-ed school so I can't necessarily speak out from experience. Guys and girls really aren't terribly different from eachother, there is a stereotypical guy and a stereotypical girl. People kind of expect different things from both sexes and a majority of the guys and girls go with their sex's expectations. I guess I really don't think that single-sex schools influence the lifestyles of people nearly as much as that person's conscience and opinions do.
Radio Saturday
Salute You in Your Grave
Radio Saturday
November 30th, 2007 at 05:50am
I was home schooled, and I only have sisters. So, effectively, it was a single-sex school environment. (I think.) Here's my take on it.

I do have a very good relationship with my sisters, and am very concerned about women's rights and their treatment by men and society at large. However, I often have a much harder time acting casually around guys, simply from lack of experience. (Not like my parents kept me locked in a closet or anything, but I didn't really hang out much with guys my own age.) I have no such trouble with guys older/younger than I am, just my peer group. So that could just be my age.

I hope this was pertinent.
vampyre maiden
Fabulous Killjoy
vampyre maiden
December 4th, 2007 at 03:39pm
single sex schools are dreadful i went to one and people from other schools called me posh or lesbien when i am not, i think that they are bad and should be got rid of.
Alx_Aoide
Fabulous Killjoy
Alx_Aoide
December 4th, 2007 at 03:18pm
^Well I think that people should be able to have a say on whether or not they want to be educated in a single-sex or co-ed environment. All of us learn things in different ways. Some people just do better in a single-sex environment.
patrick wolf
Salute You in Your Grave
patrick wolf
December 6th, 2007 at 09:35pm
i go to an all girls school, i've only been there for a few years. before that i was at a co-ed school. but some of my friends have been here since they started school and they would not survive at a co-ed school. they are so obsessed with boys. its not normal. they would get so distracted, their grades would drop and they would have a different boyfriend every week [compared to the new boyfriend every month now].
Worlds Away
Jazz Hands
Worlds Away
February 23rd, 2008 at 09:56pm
I go to a same sex school as well, but the girls aren't constantly drooling over boys and stuff like that. We still see the boys a few times each week, and we often do sports and the like with them. The school is able to cope with the fights that some of the girls may have, but mainly it's just a really nice place, with great teachers who understand why we might not have been able to do homework if we had training or whatever the reason be. There isn't much difference between co-ed schools and same sex except for the guys and girls being seperated. Most of the girls went to co-ed primary schools beforehand so they don't go crazy and flirt madly when they see a "cute" guy. The boys are the same and go through almost the same stuff as we do. To me I just see my school exactly as that. Just School.
YO!howie_fate
Killjoy
YO!howie_fate
February 23rd, 2008 at 11:43pm
I GO TO AN ALL GIRLS SCHOOL. its catholic so i guess its a question
of religious values and your own personal morality. it is looked down upon
for girls to even come in contact with boys.. or something like that
i guess abstinence while receiving an education is the point.
funny how we have a huge pregnancy drop out ratio though...
Harlequinn
Salute You in Your Grave
Harlequinn
February 27th, 2008 at 11:57am
*Do single sex schools strengthen sex stereotypes? yes! i really think it does, becaus then the kids going to one of these schools is being told that male/females are completly different from each other and must be seperated. this leads a student to believe that all girls do this or all guys do this
*Is the environment provided by single sex schools unrealistic? yes, its like censorship. i may have good intentions but it wont help anyone in the long run. ppl have to learn how to deal with all sexes
*Are boys really that different from girls? its not what a person is, its who the person is
*Is the interaction with the opposite sex compromised in single sex education? depends. if someone from a single sex school really wants to interact with the opposite sex they're still going to do it.
*Do you really get distracted by the opposite sex? i think you can, but thats your choice
*Is the bitchiness worse in all-girls school than co-ed schools? i think it would be about the same, just bitchiness about different things, instead of boys
*How would a student from a co-ed school and a student from a single-sex school differ? i think the student from a co-ed school would have a greater hold on reality. Males and females interact, get used to it.
in terms of reaction to real life? Some students from single-sex schools might not do well in real life because they wont have a clue how to treat ppl from the opposite sex. they will be confused
Who would cope better? Co-ed definatly
*Can you really experience sex equality if the sexes are segregated? no. seperating sexes is saying that they arent equal
*Is democracy in school just an illusion? i think it is
*Do you believe that gender does affect learning? no, because what gender you are doesnt dictate who you are. if u are better at learning then u are better at learning, no matter what gender you are.
love on her arms.
Bleeding on the Floor
love on her arms.
February 28th, 2008 at 08:10am
I dont think that segragated schools are un-realistic and if you go them all your life, you will lack some socials that you will need.

I think you defiently can get distracted by the opposite sex,
sherlock!
Crash Queen
sherlock!
February 29th, 2008 at 08:10am
Well, it really all just depends on the person, doesn't it? If that person is like, an obsessed boy crazy teen, then I THINK it'd probably be best if she stuck around people of the same gender for a time.