Don't have an account? Create one!

Single sex schools

AuthorMessage
the.reaper.wore.pink
Motor Baby
the.reaper.wore.pink
July 2nd, 2007 at 08:33am
*Do single sex schools strengthen sex stereotypes?
*Is the environment provided by single sex schools unrealistic?
*Are boys really that different from girls?
*Is the interaction with the opposite sex compromised in single sex education?
*Do you really get distracted by the opposite sex?
*Is the bitchiness worse in all-girls school than co-ed schools?
*How would a student from a co-ed school and a student from a single-sex school differ? in terms of reaction to real life? Who would cope better?
*Can you really experience sex equality if the sexes are segregated?
*Is democracy in school just an illusion?
*Do you believe that gender does affect learning?

Please answer the questions, i need this for my social action thesis. My future is in your hands
followill.
In The Murder Scene
followill.
July 2nd, 2007 at 11:23am
I think single sex schools are totally wrong cos girls and girls together having a bitch fight ain't pretty and I am sure lads and lads together isn't plesant either!
hiddenn.
Salute You in Your Grave
hiddenn.
July 2nd, 2007 at 12:05pm
I go to a single sex school.
It's not that bad, actually. It's easier to be yourself because there aren't guys to worry about. It doesn't really strengthen the sex stereotypes because you don't interact with the other sex often.
The bitchiness is worse if there is another school in the county, because each school tends to compete with one another for the boys. Girls seem to bond easier when put with other girls. In the end, all of the girls are just a big family. I SWEAR.
In single sex schools, there are two kinds of people; the ones that act like guys, and the ones that act like girls... slightly. It's like a co-ed school, but all the same gender. Just different personalities.
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
July 2nd, 2007 at 12:07pm
Well, I think single sex schools may work better, because, boys aren't trying to impress girls, nor girls to boys.
But, they may provoke sexism, both ways, because the girls will notice they're not with boys, or boys with girls, and they may get the idea that's it's because they are superior in learning.
Star Ashes
Fabulous Killjoy
Star Ashes
July 2nd, 2007 at 12:35pm
i know plenty of peeps that go to single sex schools and i go to a mixed but i think mixed is better because you grow up knowing about boys and girls and how they react during educated life and work, rather than just around you hanging out. I have heard that you are more outgoing if you go to a mixed school because you hang round with more of a mixed group rather than just stay in one sex group. but that is my view and plenty of people will disagree. but i dont think it would be too bad to go to a single sex school. Very Happy
the.reaper.wore.pink
Motor Baby
the.reaper.wore.pink
July 3rd, 2007 at 07:24am
I go to a single sex school.
In my opinion, single sex school doesn't offer a realistic setting. The only real world setting i can see where sex is segregated is in public restrooms.
I also think that all-girls school are exaggerrating. They say that girls are overpowered by guys and need a different way of learning. I see otherwise. Grade structures of schools are made by a majority of 'soft skills' such as homework completion, demeanor, and compliance. Obviously, girls are better in doing all of these. This shows that the dominant pedagogical methodology is in favor with girls.
There are extreme rivalry between all-girls school in my country. People say because we are of the same intellect and skills. But why not make an all-boys school our rival if we're talking about intellect?
Another absurd thing that single sex schools claim is that sexism is avoided. How can you experience equality in segregation?
The good thing about all-girls school is that girls develop as themselves w/o being concious about the opposite sex.
me and my stomach
Thinking Happy Thoughts
me and my stomach
July 3rd, 2007 at 08:38am
i came from a single sex school myself, so...
not really. we are NORMAL. what you find in mixed schools are the same as that in single sex schools.

nope. what's so unrealistic. i like the years i spent being in a single sex school. there's not really any pressure of having to look good or be a couple or something. and we ARE exposed to the environment, with programs with other schools and such. we don't come out abnormal or something..

nope. now i'm no longer studying in a single sex school, i mix with both genders. definitely not a lot of difference, unless you're the kind always looking for a relationship. then you won't be able to hang out with your friends normally.

Nope. you do have social lives outside school where you get to meet others, don't you? and there's camps and other exchange programs together...

not now.

NO. in fact, i find co-ed schools more bitchy. must be the guys...

*How would a student from a co-ed school and a student from a single-sex school differ in terms of reaction to real life? Who would cope better?
there's not really a difference. my friend's from a co-ed school, and there's not much difference between us. we eww at the same things, and mostly have similar opinions and stuff.

*Can you really experience sex equality if the sexes are segregated?
yes. that's taught. you just have to learn it. furthermore, what is to say that if sexes are together, there is sex equality? sex inequality afterall arose from the fact the the males and females were together...

*Is democracy in school just an illusion?
to a certain extent. you can't really expect the staff to listen to you or ask for your opinions in all matters. but you can suggest, though the suggestions may sometimes be ignored...

no. the smartest students in singapore comes from both co-ed and single sex. though in singapore, there is a higher number from single sex, due to most single sex schools having the "smarter" kids, which were streamed from primary school, and thus better.
me and my stomach
Thinking Happy Thoughts
me and my stomach
July 3rd, 2007 at 08:40am
XMARILYNMANSONX:
I have heard that you are more outgoing if you go to a mixed school because you hang round with more of a mixed group rather than just stay in one sex group. but that is my view and plenty of people will disagree.

and yes. i do disagree with that. many people find that the girls from single-sex schools are more open and tend to be more out-going than the girls from co-ed schools.
starktreks
Devil's Got Your Number
starktreks
July 3rd, 2007 at 01:28pm
I don't think I'd like it being in a single sex school because, and I don't wanna sound like a bit of a 'man eater' or whatever, but.. I love being around guys. Damn I sound awful saying that don't I?
It's just, I have the same amount of girl friends as guy friends. And I like hanging around with everybody.

But I think single sex schools are awesome, they're different. Mr. Green
kirsten_KICKSHAWS
Killjoy
kirsten_KICKSHAWS
July 3rd, 2007 at 07:41pm
I havnt been in a single sex school....

but i have been in a single sex area...

and it really just depends on the person...

im really outgoing so...

everyone basically hated me cuz i was different....

and in my opinion that was becuase those girls had been in that place for so long that they just started to be the same.... and ya that is kinda a good thing...until you want to be somebody

and if youre shy...

its a place for you... everyone just kinda like w/e towards you and you can make friends...

but if i were to stay in there any longer than i did (a month and a half) i would have ended up trying to run away or something..

it was so boring... cuz they were all soo.... goody... and im bi and i didnt believe that they would accept that ((catholic summer camp))...

trust me i was attracted to someone there and it was kinda hard... i didnt want to offend her or anything... but i did.. we became friends and she asked me to tell her my opinion on gay marriage... i say i was for it... and she was too.... and then i aske d her if she was bi and she cringed and said that she couldnt be... and got up and left...

i was just like "waht?"

CONCLUSION: i dont like it cuz it dosnt give room for people to be expressive...
kirsten_KICKSHAWS
Killjoy
kirsten_KICKSHAWS
July 3rd, 2007 at 07:42pm
shuanghong:
XMARILYNMANSONX:
I have heard that you are more outgoing if you go to a mixed school because you hang round with more of a mixed group rather than just stay in one sex group. but that is my view and plenty of people will disagree.

and yes. i do disagree with that. many people find that the girls from single-sex schools are more open and tend to be more out-going than the girls from co-ed schools.

well.. i think that they are only more open and outgoing towards girls... thats heir safe zone..
idk. my bff jill?
Demolition Lover
idk. my bff jill?
July 4th, 2007 at 12:57am
I'm not too wild about single-sex schools.
I've never attended one,but I think you should mix with both sexes.
It strengthens you somehow I think.
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
July 4th, 2007 at 01:08am
Girls from single-sex schools tend to get better grades.
My mom's considering sending my sister to one.
Hell Yeah Georgie
Really Not Okay
Hell Yeah Georgie
July 4th, 2007 at 06:53am
The thing I've noticed about going to an all girls' school is that people tend to behave their age. I was in a mixed school until I was in year six. In year six, although we were only eleven or twelve we were all behaving as if we were a lot older, trying to grow up too fast.

But when I moved to an all girls' school, the girls in year six there were playing pretend games, skipping, and generally behaving their age.

I think being in an all girls' school gives you the opportunity to be a child, and have a childhood rather than trying to get boyfriends at eleven. It gives you back that innocence, and I think that's good. Children should be children for as long as possible, you only get one childhood.
IamManHearMEroar!!
Killjoy
IamManHearMEroar!!
July 4th, 2007 at 07:01am
single sex schools are not cool.
Hell Yeah Georgie
Really Not Okay
Hell Yeah Georgie
July 4th, 2007 at 07:09am
IamManHearMEroar!!:
single sex schools are not cool.

Would you expand on that opinion a little please?
patrick wolf
Salute You in Your Grave
patrick wolf
July 4th, 2007 at 10:33am
i go to a single sex school, so yeah
well no, not really. at least not around here,. . .

i dont think so. because you still get to see guys, you just dont work with them in a school environment. You dont have to try so hard to look good and compete for guys. except when you go out into the "real world", some girls may go "crazy", but they wont exactly get a shock

not really. girls are just more bitchy and usually like to talk more

No. cause we still have a social life. Im not sure about other schools, but we do a joint school production with a nearby all-guys school. and you do debating with them and you can get offered to go on exchange and whatever

i dont. but at my school, if a guy walks past the front of the school all you hear is a bunch of girls giggling and screaming "OMG!! LOOK @ tHaT GuY!! zOmGoD He'S SOoOoOo h0T!!!" its really retarted
and at parties where there are lots of different people from different schools, you usually find that the single sex girls are generally shyer than the co-ed girls.

i think, yes. but i think i might have only noticed this because when i went to the all girls school, it was at that age when everyone was just becoming bitchier anyway. but i think you notice it more in all girls schools

No. but my parents think so. My mum is also a school teacher and she finds that usually when the boys start off they are more immature than the girls. i guess it evens out as you get older, but some older guys are really just big kids.
the reason why single sex schools sometimes have brighter students is because the kids have to sit these exams, and only the smartest get in. not all schools are like that, but sometimes you are just less "distracted" in a single sex school, and they make you study harder and work harder.
writerGrrl
Salute You in Your Grave
writerGrrl
July 4th, 2007 at 12:22pm
I don't go to one but I think a single sex schools are a good idea at least for middle school. I'm saying this because both guys and girls go nuts around that time because of puberty but for different reasons and with different results and if education was made specifically to cope with only one type of nuttiness in one school that would be easier and grades might improve.

But the whole idea that girls need "softer learning" is bs. I think the problem is that guys in middle school have trouble sitting still for so many hours and would learn better if learning was more "active."

I think schools should be co-ed in high school because by then people are more mature and interacting with the opposite gender will help people in both workplace and romantic relationships when they become adults.
Nightmare Anatomy.
Killjoy
Nightmare Anatomy.
July 4th, 2007 at 10:34pm
I used to go t a single sex CATHOLIC girls school.

I learnt less, Got less social, We didnt learn about sex education, We didnt learn about anything of any importance.
We didnt get to read any GOOD books for english because since it's a catholic school, All oldf books with any mention of witchcraft nor tales was banned.

And basically: People learn better in a both sector environment.
LifeOnStandby
Motor Baby
LifeOnStandby
July 4th, 2007 at 10:37pm
My sister went to Meredith College, an ALL GIRL school.

She loved the experienec, she didn't go just because it was "all girl." She did say that she loved it due to the fact she could concetrate more on school. (she didn't worry as much on apperance, how she resembles herself around others, didn't have guys on her mind as much)

She's now out of college, successful, and has many new friends. She doesn't regret going to an all girl school, and she'd do it again if she wanted to.

I personally think certain people would benefit from it, others wouldnt...some would be mutual. I would honestly not enjoy a all-guy presence... becuase I would simply feel uncomfortable.