Don't have an account? Create one!

Vegetarianism/veganism.

AuthorMessage
Girl Anachronism
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Girl Anachronism
April 13th, 2008 at 10:48am
amity_xo:

I myslef hate preaching people, and don't shove my beliefs down others throats. It's always complicated when the topic of meat eating and what not comes up, because i want to put in my input but don't want to sound preachy or get too gory and upset other people. I'm lucky to have never encountered radical meat eaters who want to convert me back, but i'm always afraid i will which is why i don't tell people. Kinda sad, i know, but i don't want...to make a fool out of myself i guess...
I also get really uncomfortable when people ask me why i'm vegetarian, i generally don't go in to detail, but i'm always afraid of coming off preachy...

p.s in 3 days i will have been vego for a year! I'm going to celebrate somehow...lol

And I thought I was alone, I always get so uncomfortable when I tell someone or when someone asks me why I am because I don't want to come off as preachy or go into huge detail..... I don't know, just makes me feel like I'm being judged because its a big part of who I am and some of the people I've met try to make me mad (aka my uncle) and go to talk about deer hunting season in large detail infront of me just to see my reaction because he doesn't agree with my view on it, Idk.

P.S. Congrats, yesterday was my 4th month of being vegetarian.
Girl Anachronism
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Girl Anachronism
April 13th, 2008 at 10:54am
Die! Die! Die!:
Actually ummm..FYI, plants are alive too. Just because they cannot communicate doesn't mean they don't have emotions, feelings, and their own sets of organs

Ya, but think about this though. An apple tree makes apple to be eaten for reproductive purposes because of the seeds in the apple. The apple will eventually fall from the tree, or get eaten off the tree and what ever is around will eat it and the seeds (or leave the seeds on the ground and the seeds would make more apple trees) and then when the animal or bird goes to the bathroom, the seeds will end up on the ground again, and make more apple trees. So, technically fruit and veggies etc. were meant to be eaten in order to carry on this cycle thing that the worlds got going on. Do you get what I mean or am I just being confusing? And I am aware veggies don't have seeds, but vegetable plants make broccoli or corn etc. to be eaten, naturally it would just fall off and on to the ground later if it wasn't picked off, so your not eating the plant really, your eating what it made for reproductive reasons or w/e and are just carrying on a cycle. Animals, technically, weren't ment to be eaten to carry on a cycle, we ate them back when in order to survive when we didn't have the resources or the knowledge we do now in order to stay healthy and not eat meat and when we couldn't find anything else to eat. I hope that makes sense, if not, just tell me, I'll try to word it better.
Tilly and the Wall
Bleeding on the Floor
Tilly and the Wall
April 13th, 2008 at 02:40pm
turophile:
Die! Die! Die!:
Actually ummm..FYI, plants are alive too. Just because they cannot communicate doesn't mean they don't have emotions, feelings, and their own sets of organs

Ya, but think about this though. An apple tree makes apple to be eaten for reproductive purposes because of the seeds in the apple. The apple will eventually fall from the tree, or get eaten off the tree and what ever is around will eat it and the seeds (or leave the seeds on the ground and the seeds would make more apple trees) and then when the animal or bird goes to the bathroom, the seeds will end up on the ground again, and make more apple trees. So, technically fruit and veggies etc. were meant to be eaten in order to carry on this cycle thing that the worlds got going on.

The problem: we can't live only on fruits. We need veggies too. We don't only eat the reproductive things the plants make. We eat stems, roots and leaves as well. Stuff like potatoes, onions, spinach, cabbages is actually part of a plant. So, actually, not only are we hurting plants, but unlike animals [we kill the whole animal, so it doesn't feel pain when it's being cut into pieces], we eat parts of it.
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
April 13th, 2008 at 03:32pm
Seriously, I read that interview and nowhere does it mention that plants can actually feel pain; just that they react to things on a cellular level. We all know that cells are alive, and it stands to reason that they react to their environment--otherwise ameobas wouldn't have had any reason to evolve. That doesn't, however, mean that they can feel any kind of pain, just that there's a very basic, even lower than instinct, reaction on a cellular level.

The interview mentions that Backster's findings line up very well with Hindu and Buddhist teachings, which is true--Hindu and Buddhist teachings also support vegetarianism.

It also says that both fertilized and unfertilized eggs respond in the same way. For those of you saying that the level of awareness that plants have means that they can feel pain: wouldn't this also mean that fetuses can feel pain?

Even after all this, these experiments aren't done with proper scientific controls. Backster says they can't be, but any self-respecting scientist would be highly skeptical of exactly how trustworthy his results are.

Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
April 13th, 2008 at 07:42pm
DIE! DIE! DIE!:
Every Veg I have ever met take away one or two have been extremely persistent in trying to make the world "go veg", which is probably why I place the veg "culture" on the same detestation level as Jehova's Witnesses XD

And like, hit up a Veggie forum. Weird WEIRD places with constant discussion on how to convert others.

I know not all vegans and vegetarians are like that, but that's the experience I have had as far as shoving opinions down peoples throats. It's bad enough for me to bother taking a stand. Im hitting up warped tour this year with a few PETA KILLS ANIMALS shirts, and a desire to throw hamburger meat at their booth.

Haha, There is my revenge. If your going to do it, why not do it to the people that actually are crazy ^^
oh god, my best friend is agianst veggeterianism too, and at Bamboozle she bought a huge thing of chicken and took it to the Peta 2 booth and said that they were stupid, true story. but like someone else said, they bit in a chicken vien by accident, I just find that disguesting, also meat actually rots and molds inside you, that is disgusting to me.

but on the arguement, on veggeterians shove their beliefs down other peoples throats, I relieze Peta does that, but I don't, if anything every meat eater I know tries to shove meat down my throat. I hate that, i'm not saying I'm right but I will tell people why I am a vegeterian. and I don't want to eat meat ever agian, I just don't really like it
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
April 13th, 2008 at 08:19pm
nsky:
Techinically if you're calling eating animals as animal cruelty then eating plants is also plant cruelty, isn't it?

Umm, no.
If you'd bothered to read my post above somewhere, I stated that I don't think eating animals is "cruel" or wrong, I just don't do it myself.

What I do think is cruel is the farming process.
The consumption of animals is not what is cruel, but the farming in which it is raised can be.

Don't just assume that because I'm a vegetarian that I automatically think that eating meat is cruel. F**king hell, how many times do I have to explain myself?
Tilly and the Wall
Bleeding on the Floor
Tilly and the Wall
April 14th, 2008 at 10:54am
I apologise, Sprinkles. I must have overlooked.
rumored nights.
Salute You in Your Grave
rumored nights.
April 14th, 2008 at 11:38pm
-
Mercutio
Motor Baby
Mercutio
April 17th, 2008 at 02:12pm
i'm a riot.:
We need the proteins and other things inside their bodies to survive!

i hope that made sense and i didn't offend anyone.

Now, this didn't offend me (as a vegetarian) and I don't want to rant specifically at you, but people can and do survive without meat, so it is now like we HAVE to eat them.

Also, every animal plays it's part in the food chain. If one goes extinct, it can and often does react catasrophically (SP). I know that animals will not go extince because we eat them, but it still affects the natural food chain.

Also, I want to add the point of global warming. Here is a stark fact.

Producing one kilogram of beef uses as much energy that you could go on a three hour drive and leaving all the lights on for that time.

Just to put my opinion across. Smile
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
April 17th, 2008 at 10:12pm
nsky:
I apologise, Sprinkles. I must have overlooked.

Hehe, that's okay.
I'm sorry too, I just get worked up sometimes when people just assume that I act or believe in a particular way.
Tilly and the Wall
Bleeding on the Floor
Tilly and the Wall
April 19th, 2008 at 05:05am
: )
me too.
sweet dreams.
Salute You in Your Grave
sweet dreams.
April 20th, 2008 at 12:52am
I recently converted to vegetarianism and am planning on going vegan soon. Most of my family and friends didn't take me seriously when I told them, but I was confident in my ability to not eat meat.

At first I didn't realize that you actually have to replace meat with a sufficient source of protein, not just a bag of chips. I'm getting into more healthy eating habits now though.

I still face the issue of family tormenting me. Not really like, "Don't you wish you could have this?" but more like, "What's the point of being vegetarian? Animals aren't mistreated. They're meant to be eaten." Etc.

It really bothers me when people are closed-minded about it, but I've learned to ignore them, or even better, educate them about what they're eating every time they order a Big Mac.
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
April 20th, 2008 at 04:41am
Yes, but surely 'educating' them about it when they aren't interested is just as bad as them having a go at you.
Tilly and the Wall
Bleeding on the Floor
Tilly and the Wall
April 20th, 2008 at 07:08am
Yeah, and first your family will make fun of you but later they'll get over it if you stick to your beliefs.
IceHog69
Bulletproof Heart
IceHog69
April 20th, 2008 at 11:27am
Okay, before I start, I want you all to know, I was a vegetarian for the first seven years of my 16 year life, okay?

I don't have a problem with veganism, but I do have a problem with some people's vegetarianism.

In my opinion, some vegetarianism is slightly misguided. I understand that you may be a vegetarian because you dint like meat, or for religious reasons, so on and so forth, and I'm cool with that, that's fine with me. What annoys me, is when people are vegetarian because they don't believe in cruelty to animals. This is misguided. In my personal opinion, I think that if you don't like cruelty to animals, and you want to save them and all, then you should be vegan , not vegetarian. I think that this form of vegetarianism is a waste. You are still contributing to cruelty to animals, because you are smearing your face in animal tested products, you are wearing their skin on your feet, you just aren't eating them. I think you should use all of the animal, or none of it. If you choose to just not eat the inside, the 'poor animal', is still going to be 'tortured', and treated just as badly as it would be if you were eating it.

With veganism, you don't use any of the animal, and so, I think that is much better for want of a better word. It makes more sense. You are a vegan. You don't like animal cruelty, so you don't eat the animal. You don't wear the animal, you don't kill the animal for anything.

The only aspect of veganism that I don't agree with it animal testing for medicines. I do not use cosmetics tested on animals. I personally think that medical testing is the lesser of two evils. If we didn't test medicines on animals, then a lot of people would die. I know a lot of animals die, and are put through a lot of pain, but these animals are born for this job, and so, if it weren't for animal testing, the animal wouldn't be alive in the first place, so the rat/mouse/other animal populations are not decreasing, as the human population would if these animals were not killed. I do not like testing medicines on chimps, and apes, but I understand that this may be necessary.

I know that some vegetarians are trying to 'convert' to veganism, or for some reason cannot be vegan, be it a lack of money, or some other reason, and I fully support these people, and I don't have a problem with them being vegetarian. I do however, have a problem with the people that are vegetarian because it is 'cool', and they can't be bothered to look that little bit harder for the fake leather shoes. I have a problem with them, because they can't care, otherwise they wouldn't wear the shoes, and they would do it for a reason.

I don't have a problem with PETA, although I don't agree with all their opinions. I think it's fine if people eat meat, because we are 'made' to eat meat; we have canine teeth. I also think it's fine for people to be vegan, there are enough meat substitutes on the market at the moment, that people can get their protein, their iron, without needing to eat meat. I don't think that everyone should be vegan, because that sort of lifestyle wouldn't suit a lot of people.
IceHog69
Bulletproof Heart
IceHog69
April 20th, 2008 at 11:37am
Tiger-Lily_14:
i'm a riot.:
We need the proteins and other things inside their bodies to survive!

i hope that made sense and i didn't offend anyone.

Now, this didn't offend me (as a vegetarian) and I don't want to rant specifically at you, but people can and do survive without meat, so it is now like we HAVE to eat them.

Also, every animal plays it's part in the food chain. If one goes extinct, it can and often does react catastrophically (SP). I know that animals will not go extinct because we eat them, but it still affects the natural food chain.

Also, I want to add the point of global warming. Here is a stark fact.

Producing one kilogram of beef uses as much energy that you could go on a three hour drive and leaving all the lights on for that time.

Just to put my opinion across. Smile

Cows are the single greatest contributer of methane in the atmosphere, so I think they kinda average themselves out...

and I'm sorry about the length of my last post, I kinda had to get it off my chest =]
apolloinlove
Killjoy
apolloinlove
April 20th, 2008 at 12:25pm
I'm vegan :]

Obviously, since I am one, I completely agree with veganism.
Even so, I generally think that people should do what feels right for themselves, as long as they know all the facts. If people know the whole deal with the meat industry/animal testing/etc and still feel totally feel able to eat meat and use animal products, then thats just the way it is. Whereas if someone goes on ignorantly eating meat and using animal products, or actively ignores any information about animal rights, just so that they can go on eating and using those things, that kinda sucks.

Everyone should be informed, and then do what feels right for them.
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
April 20th, 2008 at 01:22pm
ChipmunkOnKetamine:

Cows are the single greatest contributer of methane in the atmosphere, so I think they kinda average themselves out...

and I'm sorry about the length of my last post, I kinda had to get it off my chest =]

But would there be as many cows on the planet if they weren't bred for food?

Methane production is one of the reasons producing beef is so bad for the environment, if I'm not mistaken.
IceHog69
Bulletproof Heart
IceHog69
April 20th, 2008 at 01:25pm
Bad Businessman?:
ChipmunkOnKetamine:

But would there be as many cows on the planet if they weren't bred for food?

Methane production is one of the reasons producing beef is so bad for the environment, if I'm not mistaken.

surely there would be more, cause they would be free to reproduce, therefore making more cows? Killing them keeps numbers, and methane production down.
Tilly and the Wall
Bleeding on the Floor
Tilly and the Wall
April 20th, 2008 at 01:32pm
If every human being was a vegetarian, it would lead to overpopulation of cattle in the world, since their reproduction and multiplication is very swift.

I read that somewhere, and it's true if you think about it on such a large scale, i.e. every human being becoming a vegetarian.