AuthorMessage
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
April 20th, 2008 at 01:58pm
ChipmunkOnKetamine:
Bad Businessman?:
ChipmunkOnKetamine:

Cows are the single greatest contributer of methane in the atmosphere, so I think they kinda average themselves out...

and I'm sorry about the length of my last post, I kinda had to get it off my chest =]

But would there be as many cows on the planet if they weren't bred for food?

Methane production is one of the reasons producing beef is so bad for the environment, if I'm not mistaken.

surely there would be more, cause they would be free to reproduce, therefore making more cows? Killing them keeps numbers, and methane production down.

Well what do you mean by that? Theoretically, if the whole world went vegetarian right now and all the cows in farms/slaughterhouses/etc were set free, they'd most likely all die very quickly. They wouldn't be able to cope with being in the outside world, they wouldn't have any survival skills. What cows were left would probably fit into whatever ecosystem cows are naturally a part of.

As for how quickly they reproduce, I have to go look for other information on that, but I know their gestation period is 9 months and they live to 15-25 years, so it's not like they're rabbits or rats or something of that nature.

IceHog69
Bulletproof Heart
IceHog69
April 20th, 2008 at 02:21pm
Bad Businessman?:
ChipmunkOnKetamine:
Bad Businessman?:
ChipmunkOnKetamine:

Cows are the single greatest contributer of methane in the atmosphere, so I think they kinda average themselves out...

and I'm sorry about the length of my last post, I kinda had to get it off my chest =]

But would there be as many cows on the planet if they weren't bred for food?

Methane production is one of the reasons producing beef is so bad for the environment, if I'm not mistaken.

surely there would be more, cause they would be free to reproduce, therefore making more cows? Killing them keeps numbers, and methane production down.

Well what do you mean by that? Theoretically, if the whole world went vegetarian right now and all the cows in farms/slaughterhouses/etc were set free, they'd most likely all die very quickly. They wouldn't be able to cope with being in the outside world, they wouldn't have any survival skills. What cows were left would probably fit into whatever ecosystem cows are naturally a part of.

As for how quickly they reproduce, I have to go look for other information on that, but I know their gestation period is 9 months and they live to 15-25 years, so it's not like they're rabbits or rats or something of that nature.

how many ecosystems actually involve cows now??? since cows have been farmed for goodness knows how long, they would most likely cause devastation.

Why would a cow have no survival skills? They live in fields most of the time, they feed off grass, yes, they get fed in the winter, but they can live off a lot of stuff. They are milked for their milk, but if they were released, then the calves would drink that milk.

btw, people that eat meat eat a lot more than just cows, and I think this is going to turn into a chicken and egg kind of argument (it was the egg btw)
rocksmysocks
Killjoy
rocksmysocks
April 21st, 2008 at 11:41pm
http://www.naiaonline.org/resources/links.htm
These guys are my favorite I think. Certainly better then PETA. Im wildy against mindless animal violence and propagandaists.
Sorry!

Thank you so much for this! I've been looking for an good site. Also, my opinion on vegetarianism, I think it's a lot healthier nowadays, with all of the processed foods chemicals, and unhealthy fast food, but I have nothing against people eating meat. Honestly, if everyone stopped eating meat there would be quite an overpopulation of animals.
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
April 22nd, 2008 at 01:06am
ChipmunkOnKetamine:

how many ecosystems actually involve cows now??? since cows have been farmed for goodness knows how long, they would most likely cause devastation.

Why would a cow have no survival skills? They live in fields most of the time, they feed off grass, yes, they get fed in the winter, but they can live off a lot of stuff. They are milked for their milk, but if they were released, then the calves would drink that milk.

btw, people that eat meat eat a lot more than just cows, and I think this is going to turn into a chicken and egg kind of argument (it was the egg btw)

They'd have no survival skills for the same reason a domestic dog or a zoo animal, wouldn't have any survival skills. They wouldn't know to get out of the way for cars, they wouldn't know what predators to avoid--or even what predators were--they wouldn't know what was/wasn't safe to eat (cows don't naturally eat a lot of the things they're fed on farms.) Especially in climates with harsh winters, I imagine they'd die out pretty quickly.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
April 23rd, 2008 at 06:44am
ChipmunkOnKetamine:

That's all fine and wonderful if you're talking about free range farms. But a lot of cattle intended for food (and indeed other animals like pigs, chickens, ducks etc.) are raised in non-free range environments; they're fed unnatural foods pumped full of antibiotics and they don't have much physical space to roam and feed etc.

So I can understand why cows in these conditions would not be able to adapt to another way of life. They don't know any different.

Belong2Ray
Killjoy
Belong2Ray
April 23rd, 2008 at 04:57pm
im a VERY proud vegan!! Frank kinda got me to become one lol. it is REALLY mean and horrid killing animals and stuff.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
May 20th, 2008 at 06:06pm
I would love to be a vegetarian, but my mom says that "I need my protein", and "Animals are there just to be eaten". I try not to think too much about it, but eating animals...that's murder, almost. Now, animals eat other animals all the time, but that's out of necessity. We have a choice.
water-cooler-romance
Killjoy
water-cooler-romance
May 20th, 2008 at 07:16pm
I've been a vegeterian for over 3 years now and couldn't be happier with that choice
but i do live in a small farming community where its considered weird not to eat meat. But i'm used to it now
You just got to stand up for what you believe is right (at least thats how i think)
jared leto.
Awake and Unafraid
jared leto.
May 20th, 2008 at 07:27pm
i am part of peta2 and im attempting to go veggiterean.
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
May 20th, 2008 at 08:11pm
Dallitzway:
I would love to be a vegetarian, but my mom says that "I need my protein", and "Animals are there just to be eaten". I try not to think too much about it, but eating animals...that's murder, almost. Now, animals eat other animals all the time, but that's out of necessity. We have a choice.

I donno if you're from the States or not, but most Americans get about 3 times the protein they need every day.(Stats from the 10th edition of Environmental Science: Towards a Sustainable Future.)
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
May 21st, 2008 at 02:35pm
Audio Geography.:
Dallitzway:

I donno if you're from the States or not, but most Americans get about 3 times the protein they need every day.(Stats from the 10th edition of Environmental Science: Towards a Sustainable Future.)

But do those Americans eat meat?
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
May 21st, 2008 at 02:38pm
Only 1-2.8% of Americans are vegetarians, so for the most part, yes.

Chantal
Bleeding on the Floor
Chantal
May 21st, 2008 at 06:01pm
Audio Geography.:

[/size]

o yes i saw that figure somewhere and now its a regular thing i quote when people ask me "how do you get protein"
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
May 21st, 2008 at 09:53pm
Simple and Clean:
Audio Geography.:
Dallitzway:

But do those Americans eat meat?

I'm from the states. Even if they don't eat meat...if I switched around my diet a bit, I'd still be able to get protein. Thanks for the source, I'll have to show that to my mom.
Chantal
Bleeding on the Floor
Chantal
May 21st, 2008 at 10:03pm
^^

i have this card thingy that I got from the golden temple(local health food store) that says vegan sources of protein-it has coversion stuff like how much of this equals a hamburger and such

there are tonnns of sources on the card listed with how much protein it gives you and it just takes eating a few of the things to get the protein-it really is quite easy

check your local healthfood store or whole foods- maybe they will have one and you can show it to your mom-it also has amounts of protein different age groups need per day and stuff and i also think it has the 3x too much protein a day for meat based diets thing on there too
Danae
Always Born a Crime
Danae
May 22nd, 2008 at 01:09am
I have been a vegetarian since I was 8 years old... When I told my parents at 8 years old of course they didn't believe me or think I would stick to it. Now it's been 5 years...and I am still a vegetarian. I get shit from my dad alot...he calls me a tree hugger and ect.ect. at school I also get bugged because people are stupid assholes. (I was student of the month...so the WHOLE school knows everything about me.) Usually it's like "What's a vegetarian?...so you like only eat vegatables?", "What's wrong with you?", "How can you NOT eat meat?" or "People NEED meant to live, that's what animals are for"... fucking morons...

I don't go and try to make other people stop eating meat, I think it's everyone
s own choice to make, but I just think it's sick to eat other animals...it just seems wrong to me...I love animals...all of them...(not in a sick way or anything)..Anyway, I guess that's it.
HEY AMY
Salute You in Your Grave
HEY AMY
May 22nd, 2008 at 01:38am
i know a few people who groan every time you eat meat, and i find that extremely annoying.
i dont mind if they dont eat meat. its up to them. i think its good. but not eating meat is something i cant do. ive tried it before, i prefer eating it. im sorry, i just like it. but i respect people who dont eat meat. im not gonna give them shit for not eating it, but sometimes im tempted to when they give me shit for eating it.
like one person, emily (amity, on here) is nice about it. it doesnt bother her that i eat me and stuff like that Smile
IceHog69
Bulletproof Heart
IceHog69
May 22nd, 2008 at 04:30am
Audio Geography.:

They'd have no survival skills for the same reason a domestic dog or a zoo animal, wouldn't have any survival skills. They wouldn't know to get out of the way for cars, they wouldn't know what predators to avoid--or even what predators were--they wouldn't know what was/wasn't safe to eat (cows don't naturally eat a lot of the things they're fed on farms.) Especially in climates with harsh winters, I imagine they'd die out pretty quickly.
[/color][/size]

exactly, keep eating them , and they'll continue being farmed, and they wont die out.

honest question, not intended to be sarcastic: how many predators eat cows anyway? I live in England, where there are no wild dogs, or coyotes, or wolves, so that leaves, foxes, badgers, hedgehogs, and deer, which I can't imagine attacking a cow.
The Nightbeast.
Salute You in Your Grave
The Nightbeast.
May 22nd, 2008 at 06:21am
ChipmunkOnKetamine:
honest question, not intended to be sarcastic: how many predators eat cows anyway? I live in England, where there are no wild dogs, or coyotes, or wolves, so that leaves, foxes, badgers, hedgehogs, and deer, which I can't imagine attacking a cow.

In England and the US, probably none. But that's because they're still protected by the fences and farmers. If cows were free then mountain lions, bears, and wolves would probably attack cows. In fact, I think anything with the ability to take down a cow would if it needed the food. And it's not like it would be hard for the predator since the cows probably don't have a defense method since they've didn't need one in the pastures.
IceHog69
Bulletproof Heart
IceHog69
May 22nd, 2008 at 07:14am
^ thanks, but, how many animals could take down a cow? I know in the US, there are bears, and wolves, and all that lot, which probably could, but in the UK?