Don't have an account? Create one!

Vegetarianism/veganism.

AuthorMessage
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
May 22nd, 2008 at 07:25am
amyy.vengeance:
i know a few people who groan every time you eat meat, and i find that extremely annoying.

It's annoying vegetarians like that who give the rest of us a bad name.
I don't understand why some vegetarians get annoyed with people who eat meat.

I'm a vegetarian myself, and I know that I like people to respect my choice to not eat meat. So obviously it's only commonsense to accept carnivore's and omnivore's choices to eat meat.

If people are vegetarian for ethical reasons, fine. But it's important for those vegetarians to be aware that not everyone will have the same ethical concerns as they do.

IceHog69
Bulletproof Heart
IceHog69
May 22nd, 2008 at 02:50pm
people need to be vegetarian for the right reasons. not because it is cruel to animals (be vegan, and don't use any of the animal, rather than just skin it), or because it's 'cool'. Be a vegetarian because your family wont let you be vegan, because your family are vegetarian, because you can't eat meat. Not because it's cruel, or 'cool'.
rukan
Killjoy
rukan
May 22nd, 2008 at 10:51pm
ChipmunkOnKetamine:
people need to be vegetarian for the right reasons. not because it is cruel to animals (be vegan, and don't use any of the animal, rather than just skin it), or because it's 'cool'. Be a vegetarian because your family wont let you be vegan, because your family are vegetarian, because you can't eat meat. Not because it's cruel, or 'cool'.

Why not because its cruel? :/
I'm vegetarian for health reasons, and ethical reasons. It is cruel to animals, and I know I will become vegan sometime in my life, but I don't know if I'm ready yet. I don't want to ever have to say, "oh i used to be vegan." I only want to do it when I know I can for the rest of my life.

There's nothing wrong with doing it because it's cool, or cruel. If you want to be vegetarian, I say do it, for whatever reason you have.
rukan
Killjoy
rukan
May 22nd, 2008 at 10:55pm
I am a vegetarian, and I have been for about 3 years. I chose to do it when I first developed an eating disorder, but I also do it because of ethical reasons.

It really makes me mad when people are like, "what's your problem? animals are meant to be eaten, we need to eat them."

I don't preach, so i don't see why people feel the right to preach to me. I just tell if people ask. It's entirely possible to survive without consuming animals.
IceHog69
Bulletproof Heart
IceHog69
May 23rd, 2008 at 04:39am
rukan:
ChipmunkOnKetamine:

I'm vegetarian for health reasons, and ethical reasons. It is cruel to animals, and I know I will become vegan sometime in my life, but I don't know if I'm ready yet. I don't want to ever have to say, "oh i used to be vegan." I only want to do it when I know I can for the rest of my life.

There's nothing wrong with doing it because it's cool, or cruel. If you want to be vegetarian, I say do it, for whatever reason you have.

because if you are not eating the meat because it is cruel the way they are treated, surely you shouldn't use any of the animal? Don't just skin the poor creature. Either use all of the animal, or none of it.

If you think it is cruel, then be a vegan. If you're a vegetarian because you can't go vegan, be it family issues, or you are trying to go vegan, sure, go ahead. But just not eating the meat because you think the way the animal is treated is cruel? The animal is still going to be kept in the cramped conditions, still going to be killed a similar way, but you're just going to use it's skin? or it's bones? I think you should use all the animal, or none of it, if you think it is cruel.
rukan
Killjoy
rukan
May 23rd, 2008 at 08:40am
ChipmunkOnKetamine:
rukan:
ChipmunkOnKetamine:

because if you are not eating the meat because it is cruel the way they are treated, surely you shouldn't use any of the animal? Don't just skin the poor creature. Either use all of the animal, or none of it.

If you think it is cruel, then be a vegan. If you're a vegetarian because you can't go vegan, be it family issues, or you are trying to go vegan, sure, go ahead. But just not eating the meat because you think the way the animal is treated is cruel? The animal is still going to be kept in the cramped conditions, still going to be killed a similar way, but you're just going to use it's skin? or it's bones? I think you should use all the animal, or none of it, if you think it is cruel.

I don't drink milk, I don't eat eggs, I rarely eat cheese. My mother's vegan, and we basically live a vegan lifestyle, but I just don't feel ready to take the entire plunge right now. Did you even read my post?

I'm just going to have to disagree with you on that one, because I think ANY effort a person can make is good. Stop wearing leather, and fur, great. Vegetarian, great. Vegan, awesome.

Being a vegetarian isn't as big of a commitment as being a vegan, and I think it's better than nothing, and eating like 10 steaks a week.

I think you're kind of being ridiculous.
IceHog69
Bulletproof Heart
IceHog69
May 23rd, 2008 at 08:47am
^ yes, I did read your post. I wanted to make it clear to other people. I did read your post, which is why I made sure I said that I think there is nothing wrong with doing it because you dont feel ready to 'take the plunge', and you have my full support.

I think that if you are going to force the animal to live in terrible condtions, and then kill it, you may as well use all of it, otherwise I think it's a waste.

why do you think I'm being ridiculous?
rukan
Killjoy
rukan
May 23rd, 2008 at 03:28pm
All or nothing? I don't know, I've just never heard anyone with THIS argument before. I understand what you mean, but I think we'll just have to agree to disagree about this issue.
HEY AMY
Salute You in Your Grave
HEY AMY
May 23rd, 2008 at 06:22pm
well, i eat meat and eat dairy, but i wont wear animal products. i hate wearing leather or fur or anything like that. the only animal skin i wear is my school shoes, because its hard for me to find any cos i have narrow feet and wear authotics. but i hate having to wear them.
i have tried to be a vegitarian, but its just not for me. but i do understand how animals can be treated cruelly. hence why i make sure my parents buy free range eggs and get their meat from this awesome shop in newtown where the animals are kept in good conditions and everything Smile
i know some of you may be against it, but thats the best i can do.
DeathCabCutie
Fabulous Killjoy
DeathCabCutie
May 23rd, 2008 at 06:36pm
yeah... my dad does the same thing!!!
i'm mean it's just sooo mean to eat or wear those animals that did nothing to you!!!
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
May 23rd, 2008 at 10:29pm
rukan:
All or nothing? I don't know, I've just never heard anyone with THIS argument before. I understand what you mean, but I think we'll just have to agree to disagree about this issue.

Couldn't put it better myself, thankyou.

--

This issue is not strictly black or white; there are going to be different types of vegetarians and vegans, and they are going to do what suits them. It is kind of ignorant to say something like, "you can't be a vegetarian and still drink milk or eat eggs etc. etc."

I understand the thinking behind it; I understand that it may seem hypocritical, but not everyone is suited to the vegan lifestyle. I personally think if you want to be a vegetarian and still drink milk, eat eggs and cheese etc., then that's your business, and no one should tell you what you can or can't do.
Chantal
Bleeding on the Floor
Chantal
May 24th, 2008 at 02:17am
^^I agree-the only thing about it is that is confuses people on the lables. For instance I heard about one story where a girl was going to meet someone else for dinner and the girl who was ordering them dinner knew that the other was a vegetarian but she thought vegetarians ate fish so she ordered the other like a 200$ lobster. The other got to a restaraunt and refused to eat the lobster and the manegement refused to refund the money.

So yeh the only problem i have with the different degrees of vegetarian,vegan,ect are that it confuses people as to who does what and to how to accomodate them when they give a certain name(do they eat fish?cheese?eggs?white meat/turkey/chicken ect or nothing at all?) which causes confusion and situations like this. So I guess maybe the lables in themselves dont really work since like techno cocaine said, their are different degrees and like amyy. vengeance pointed out, their are certain animal friendly things meat eaters do to contribute but still be meat eaters.
GhouliaYelps
Jazz Hands
GhouliaYelps
May 24th, 2008 at 10:09pm
^ i think you're exactly right, i have nothing against meat eaters, but being a meat eater doesn't exclude you from making ethical choices when it comes to eating meat and animal products

but srsly, doing something is better than doing nothing. And even by just not eating meat you are saving many lives. And meat/dairy/leather don't all come from the same cow, they are breed specifially for their purpose.
People seem throw around the term 'vegan' like its something that easy to convert to. it isn't. it's not just about giving up eggs and dairy and not wearing leather and fur. I personally am not vegan because it's hard for my family to do, i'm just count myself lucky they're accepting of my vegetarianism.
NachaCyanide
Thinking Happy Thoughts
NachaCyanide
May 28th, 2008 at 10:28am
I'm a vegan, here in my country it's really hard, 'cause all what ppl eats here is fucking meat.
and of course, the stupid ppl that kidding about "oh are you a cow ?.. you just eat grass!"
haha ¬_¬.
I'm affiliated with PETA too :]
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
May 28th, 2008 at 03:07pm
I guess the way I feel about the all or nothing issue is that it's not a waste if you go only partially, because it's not like you have to eat the whole cow if you have beef, you know what I mean? There are other people out there that eat it, and if you go vegetarian, you're reducing the demand for meat a little, which would, in the end, stop an animal from being killed.
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
May 28th, 2008 at 04:50pm
As far as ethical vegetarians vs. ethical vegans go: I'm a vegan now and have been for almost four years, but before that I was a vegetarian for about a year and a half. During the first year or so of that, I never would have considered being a vegan, it was something I gradually realized I wanted to do. Point is, saying that ethical vegetarians are hypocrites is going to alienate a lot of people who might end up making the switch to veganism later on--and even if they don't, it is a help, especially if they buy local dairy and stuff.

conor oberst.
Bleeding on the Floor
conor oberst.
May 29th, 2008 at 04:44am
i really wish i had the will power and self dicipline to be a vegetarian.
i tried a couple of times, but i canved in. i tried to try again but mum wouldn't let me.
hopefully i can try when i'm older, maybe even become a vegan, it'll be hard. but if i surround myself with friends who are also vegetarians it'll be a lot easier.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
May 29th, 2008 at 06:27am
Audio Geography.:
As far as ethical vegetarians vs. ethical vegans go: I'm a vegan now and have been for almost four years, but before that I was a vegetarian for about a year and a half. During the first year or so of that, I never would have considered being a vegan, it was something I gradually realized I wanted to do. Point is, saying that ethical vegetarians are hypocrites is going to alienate a lot of people who might end up making the switch to veganism later on--and even if they don't, it is a help, especially if they buy local dairy and stuff.

I agree with this.

I don't think it's fair to lump all vegetarians into the same category; some vegetarians make a conscious effort to consume 'ethical' milk, eggs, cheese etc. So not all "ethical" vegetarians are hypocrites.
keep on living.
Shotgun Sinner
keep on living.
May 30th, 2008 at 12:03am
I'm not hugely opinionated on the subject.
I'm neither vegetarian nor vegan, but I respect those people who are.
It's a lifestyle choice and I'm not going to judge them for making it.
If you wanna be vegan/vegetarian, it's cool with me Very Happy
CarcinogenCrush
Jazz Hands
CarcinogenCrush
May 30th, 2008 at 11:10pm
*rant mode*
People *should* feel guilty for eating meat, people should stop before they take a bite of chicken or steak and think- this is the same as eating my pet dog. Chickens are the most abused animals on this planet- if that what was done to them was done to dogs/cats, it would be ILLEGAL. Cows are hung by their feet and their throats are cut while they are still ALIVE so that the average American can have a hamburger when they could easily eat anything else... that doesn't seem fair to me. I'm vegan, and the thought of eating meat/cheese/animal products in general completely sickens me. A), it's unhealthy- milk, for instance, contains bacteria, hormones, pus, blood. No being from another species would NATURALLY drink from another species!!. B), those animals are tortured. The average pig is as smart as the average three year old. If you want to eat a toddler, go ahead. To me, slaughtering animals and eating them is the same as taking a bite out of your mother or your sibling. You are a murderer, plain and simple, if you eat animal products, whether you kill the animal or not. Everyone knows what these animals go through, but they EAT THEM anyway. It's cannibalism. And consuming milk or other dairy products is exactly the same--- if you say that being vegan/vegetarian is unnatural? Mother cows being pumped full of hormones and giving milk constantly is unnatural!
As for getting sick from being vegan/vegetarian. Vegetarians have lower cholesterol, lower chance of dying from a heart-related disease. I've been vegetarian/vegan for almost a year now, and I am perfectly fine. Milk does not prevent osteoporosis, it causes/contributes to it.
To quote Peta, any way you slice it, it's still flesh.

Okay... I'm done now.