Don't have an account? Create one!

Vegetarianism/veganism.

AuthorMessage
Lux Aeterna
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Lux Aeterna
July 22nd, 2007 at 05:23pm
Mum tried to convice me that because I was a vegetarian I was sinning....and she wouldn't drop it so eventually I gave up and just ate whatever she gave me
I still support the concept of vegetarianism and veganism I just cant be them till I leave home whenever that may be...
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
July 23rd, 2007 at 12:26am
Sowing Season:
I see nothing wrong with parents having their kids eat only a vegetarian or vegan diet. Parents are there to guide their kids on what they think is right.

I couldn't dress up for Halloween as a child because of my parent's christian values. Sure I was really bummed in 1st grade when I was the only one not in costume but I got over it. My kids will go trick or treating and dress up if they want. In end however one is raised they will ultimately make the decision for themselves.

Caitlin Caustic;;:

How is raising a child with the morals you yourself have selfish? If that's what you believe is right and you want the best for your child, then clearly you're going to want your children to do what's right. It's the same as parents raising children in their religions. At a certain age they'll make their own choice--usually around 12 or 13--but before then, it's the parents' obligation to expose their children to their own morals.
I can see your points, but not being allowed to dress up for Halloween because of religious beliefs is a totally different thing from having your diet severely restricted because of a 'moral' argument. Religious beliefs have little or no ill-effect on anybody - if you choose to be a very strict Catholic and riase your children as such, it won't do them any harm. Raising your child as a strict vegan, however, could lead to ill health. Children need to be exposed to lots of things from the 'real world' in order for them to make informed choices when they grow up - and a child raised as a vegan or vegetarian, putting health factors aside, is likely to stay a vegan out of ignorance - if they've never eaten meat, they'll never want to because they've been raised with the notion that it's dirty or disgusting or 'wrong' - and there is, to be honest, nothing wrong with meat itself, just the way some of the animals are treated.
Basically, it's not that hard to find a local farmer who treats his cattle well, or a local butcher who sources his meat only from 'humane' farms - thereby erasing your moral argument. Choosing not to eat meat is not going to stop mass-production of cattle, as for every vegetarian there is, there's another 50 meat-consumers out there who honestly couldn't give a f*** where their meat comes from or how the cow it came from was treated.
I just think, as a parent, that if you're really committed to doing what is best for your child, you'd take such vague and ultimately useless stances out of the picture and focus on what is REALLY best for the child - a healthy, diverse diet that allows them to experience all different kinds of foods so that they can make their own choices when they are older - and you never know, they might choose to become vegetarian after all that. But while they're little, I strongly believe it's best for them to have a large range of food to pick from.
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
July 23rd, 2007 at 01:07am
LoversHeartDisease:
YEH THAT BETTER MAKE YOUR CHOKE YOU PLANT ABORTER!!
Your thew worst plant aborter ever! Even worse then people who survive on 70% Plant fetus.
Feel free to use that line on your pals BTW.

Well we all are. I still feel like, if you have meat cravings, I mean if you like, it, why bother being a vegan at all? We have already established that there are other ways to help animals and be healthy >_>

Whatever, It's just something that escapes me.

Because most vegans would disagree with you...eating meat and proclaiming to love animals feels hypocritical to me. If you don't feel that way then fine, but I do, and so I will act as my morals tell me to--which is to not eat animal products, no matter how good that pizza may look.

Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
July 23rd, 2007 at 04:11am
^ I eat meat, but love animals... if that makes me hypocritical, then oh well. I mean, my two cats are the most spoiled, well-looked-after pair of brats ou'd ever find, I treat them as though they were little children. I cry when I read reports in the local newspaper about morons dumping litters of kittens in gutters or smashing a duck's head between two bricks 'for fun'. Animal cruelty is horrific, but I still eat meat - and wherever possible, I try to source it from 'friendly' farms or butchers in order to soothe my conscience about the animals it came from. But, when that's not possible, I just try not to think about how these animals are treated. I mean, if the propaganda that PETA would have us believe is 100% true (with regards to cattle farms, battery hens etc), they'd be made illegal - no government would allow such cruelty to take place. I just can't see how it could possibly be as bad as what some people describe, because there's no way such horrific practices would be allowed to take place.
Yes, these animals are treated fairly inhumanely, but I doubt it's really that bad. And I doubt that me denying myself roast pork or beef in my madras curry is going to prevent a cow from being treated they way they already are - there's plenty others out there who don't care.

But I don't think that being a meat-eater and loving/caring for animals is mutually exclusive - I just don't eat domesticated animals like dogs or rabbits.
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
July 23rd, 2007 at 04:24am
I'm not trying to accuse anyone of anything, I'm talking about my own personal boundaries. I know that not everyone thinks the same way as I do and that's why I don't like bringing this up....anyone who eats meat and has pets automatically tries to prove how much of a hypocrite they aren't. The fact is, I'm not necessarily saying you're a hypocrite, I'm saying I'd be one if I ate meat.

Everyone has different morals and boundaries of what's acceptable to them, these are mine and I'm through with trying to change other peoples' because the fact is it's very hard and unnecessary. When I've ever somehow gotten someone to agree with me on any moral grounds, especially with veganism, it wasn't by convincing them that they're a hypocrite, it was by presenting them with facts and answers to their questions and letting them draw their own conclusions.
Megan Vegantoast
Bleeding on the Floor
Megan Vegantoast
July 23rd, 2007 at 09:06am
You know... this is sorda a tangent on this subject but my friend just started this myspace thing where she posts really meaningful and interesting blogs. Yes, some of these are animal rights related... but they're not the kind that ruin your dinner or anything. She's trying to change the world by getting people to voice their opinions and stand up for themselves and change their world. She's really nice and replies to all comments too. It'd be really nice if you checked out her blogs and added her.

click

back on topic!

AS for the whole "not eating meat won't do anyhting" argument... it actually does. Ever heard of supply in demand? Well, basically, if you eat meat you demand that companies produce it by buying it. This causes them to increase supply. On the other hand, if you don't eat meat then demand goes down and so does supply.

for every vegetarian the demand goes down by about a hundred animals.
darkness_hailey
Killjoy
darkness_hailey
July 24th, 2007 at 11:56pm
hi im a vegetarian.
i never lliked meat before it neva felt right. i hate the tought of eating a living thing urgh.!
DIE! DIE! DIE!
Bleeding on the Floor
DIE! DIE! DIE!
July 25th, 2007 at 02:33am
Megan Vegantoast:
You know... this is sorda a tangent on this subject but my friend just started this myspace thing where she posts really meaningful and interesting blogs. Yes, some of these are animal rights related... but they're not the kind that ruin your dinner or anything. She's trying to change the world by getting people to voice their opinions and stand up for themselves and change their world. She's really nice and replies to all comments too. It'd be really nice if you checked out her blogs and added her.

click

back on topic!

AS for the whole "not eating meat won't do anyhting" argument... it actually does. Ever heard of supply in demand? Well, basically, if you eat meat you demand that companies produce it by buying it. This causes them to increase supply. On the other hand, if you don't eat meat then demand goes down and so does supply.

for every vegetarian the demand goes down by about a hundred animals.

My friend works in a Jewl, and whenever they have extra meat, they don't do anything about it. I asked because my favorite hot wings were never being bought, and I was curious about whether that meant they would stop buying them. He said that they just dump the meat at the end up the night, because they can't be sure there won't be more buyers the next day. From what it sounds like, meat sales are about the same.
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
July 25th, 2007 at 03:17am
That's on a scale of one place. On the scale of the entire industry, it eventually becomes economically stupid to keep spending money raising, feeding and slaughtering animals when no one buys them. Obviously some people still will, but it's a basic fact of capitalism that in order for a company or even an entire industry to survive, it needs to supply only according to demand. Excess is just a waste of money. As more people become vegetarian, less meat is purchased, and slowly "production" slows down.

dont stop.
Salute You in Your Grave
dont stop.
July 25th, 2007 at 02:29pm
Being vegetarian is so much more than just not eating animals.
And from what I've heard, there's lots of different types of vegetarian.
Lacto-ovo vegetarian
Lacto-vegetarian, I think, something like that.
Ovo-vegetarian
Vegan

But, if you're one of those people that are just vegetarian for the purpose of not eating animals, and aren't thinking about health. You can just stop eating any meat, you know? You don't have to make a whole 'I'm Vegetarian, it's nasty to eat animals.' thing.
Helena'sGhOsT
Jazz Hands
Helena'sGhOsT
July 27th, 2007 at 05:45pm
Im a Lacto-vegitarian and proud of it!
i dont eat meat or dariy because its just creul to animals and
with all the drugs the food companies have our livestock on eating meat is
on healthy
DIE! DIE! DIE!
Bleeding on the Floor
DIE! DIE! DIE!
July 27th, 2007 at 06:10pm
Anyone interested in the dumbest thing I have ever heard

Talking about Michael Vick

Me: 650, 000 humans dead in Iraq estimated almost a year ago. But let's worry about dog-fighting. That's what's really wrong with this country.
/sarcasm

Person: omfg.... what a bunch of idiots. I hate Bush as much as the next person, but I don't think the war in Iraq comes even CLOSE to the amount of suffering that goes on in dog fighting. The soliders in Iraq are there by choice. Many of them joined up to fight for their country after 9/11. Yes, some of them died or were seriously injured, but they were there because they chose to be, and when I say chose, I mean, there is no rule saying that you cannot be dishonorably discharged if you want to leave. So in the end, it was completely up to them. They chose to stay.

But dogs that are forced to fight, that are killed in the most inhumane ways possible, that are beaten, tortured, and treated cruelly, DO NOT pick the life they live. They are forced into it, and from the time they are born they are doomed to a fate of misery. I do worry about dog fighting more than what goes on in Iraq. I care a lot more about innocent dogs than stupid humans going around killing each other for no good reason.

Me: Wow, that's got to be the most depressing thing I have ever heard. Your saying that a few dogs getting killed is far worse then the suffering we see in Iraq? Do you ANY idea what war is like Wokka, because if you want, we can switch this around and I will throw a bunch of puppies into a landmine ^^

I think that would be really cool ^^

Dogfighting sucks, but compared to more dramatic human affairs, it can't even measure up. Don't you dare demeane the tragic deaths of thousands of humans for a few dog

You have NO idea how much I hate people who treat animals as though they have more value then humans >_>
dont stop.
Salute You in Your Grave
dont stop.
July 27th, 2007 at 07:15pm
Helena'sGhOsT:
Im a Lacto-vegitarian and proud of it!
i dont eat meat or dariy because its just creul to animals and
with all the drugs the food companies have our livestock on eating meat is
on healthy
uh, actually, you're kinda wrong on that.
Lacto-Vegetarian means you don't eat meat, but you do have dairy products like;
yougurt, milk, ice-cream, chocolate...etc.
dont stop.
Salute You in Your Grave
dont stop.
July 27th, 2007 at 07:19pm
LoversHeartDisease:
Anyone interested in the dumbest thing I have ever heard

Talking about Michael Vick

Me: 650, 000 humans dead in Iraq estimated almost a year ago. But let's worry about dog-fighting. That's what's really wrong with this country.
/sarcasm

Person: omfg.... what a bunch of idiots. I hate Bush as much as the next person, but I don't think the war in Iraq comes even CLOSE to the amount of suffering that goes on in dog fighting. The soliders in Iraq are there by choice. Many of them joined up to fight for their country after 9/11. Yes, some of them died or were seriously injured, but they were there because they chose to be, and when I say chose, I mean, there is no rule saying that you cannot be dishonorably discharged if you want to leave. So in the end, it was completely up to them. They chose to stay.

But dogs that are forced to fight, that are killed in the most inhumane ways possible, that are beaten, tortured, and treated cruelly, DO NOT pick the life they live. They are forced into it, and from the time they are born they are doomed to a fate of misery. I do worry about dog fighting more than what goes on in Iraq. I care a lot more about innocent dogs than stupid humans going around killing each other for no good reason.

Me: Wow, that's got to be the most depressing thing I have ever heard. Your saying that a few dogs getting killed is far worse then the suffering we see in Iraq? Do you ANY idea what war is like Wokka, because if you want, we can switch this around and I will throw a bunch of puppies into a landmine ^^

I think that would be really cool ^^

Dogfighting sucks, but compared to more dramatic human affairs, it can't even measure up. Don't you dare demeane the tragic deaths of thousands of humans for a few dog

You have NO idea how much I hate people who treat animals as though they have more value then humans >_>

This is kind of similar to what bugs me. I mean, what bugs me is about dogs, too.

Have you heard that thing where they ate dog in some foreign countries?

Well, my friend came over and said;

Friend: Oh...my...god! Did you hear that they eat dogs in China? Like, that's so wrong. Poor little doggies are so innocent! I"m becoming vegetarian now.

What bugged me about the above statement is that she only became vegetarian because of a stupid dog.

While as, all her life she's never minded someone eating pigs, cows, chickens, fish.

Really, it's like these people are blind. They only care now because the have a dog, and that means they have some type of personal connection.

It's really wrong. Why didn't they care about the other animals that are killed for their meat and fur before?
dont stop.
Salute You in Your Grave
dont stop.
July 27th, 2007 at 07:21pm
XxEzzZzZxX:
Mum tried to convice me that because I was a vegetarian I was sinning....and she wouldn't drop it so eventually I gave up and just ate whatever she gave me
I still support the concept of vegetarianism and veganism I just cant be them till I leave home whenever that may be...
My mom did the same thing.

Well, except for the 'sinning' thing.

She said that if I didn't eat any animals that I would turn yellow and die.
DIE! DIE! DIE!
Bleeding on the Floor
DIE! DIE! DIE!
July 27th, 2007 at 07:31pm
They eat dogs in China and whatnot because everybody over there is manically poor, and so people often take strays off the street to feed their family. I think over time it just because something that people will even do in restaurants because people became so used to the notion. They say the first thing a Chinese does when they discover something new is try to eat it (Chinese saying)
I don't think its cruel at all for people to eat dogs in poor countries. It keeps them alive.
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
July 27th, 2007 at 09:02pm
Magic muffin toaster:

This is kind of similar to what bugs me. I mean, what bugs me is about dogs, too.

Have you heard that thing where they ate dog in some foreign countries?

Well, my friend came over and said;

Friend: Oh...my...god! Did you hear that they eat dogs in China? Like, that's so wrong. Poor little doggies are so innocent! I"m becoming vegetarian now.

What bugged me about the above statement is that she only became vegetarian because of a stupid dog.

While as, all her life she's never minded someone eating pigs, cows, chickens, fish.

Really, it's like these people are blind. They only care now because the have a dog, and that means they have some type of personal connection.

It's really wrong. Why didn't they care about the other animals that are killed for their meat and fur before?

Hey, sometimes it takes a personal connection to make you step back and realize when something's wrong, especially if that something has been presented to you as perfectly okay for your entire life.
DIE! DIE! DIE!
Bleeding on the Floor
DIE! DIE! DIE!
July 28th, 2007 at 02:04pm
They way you say it it's as if someone was to have an awakening to an injustice. Don't. Nothing is wrong with eating meat. You personally might not deem in nessesary, but as humans we wouldn't be programed to eat it, hell, we wouldn't have evolved from it, if it was "wrong". We arn't all confused herbavor lifestyes like some kind of cannibal cow. Chosing a different lifestyle is by no means "realizing something is wrong". It's doing something against the grain.
Sorry, but that's what im here for. Y'all can do what you want, but don't even *hint* demonizing what I do.
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
July 28th, 2007 at 05:00pm
LoversHeartDisease:
They way you say it it's as if someone was to have an awakening to an injustice. Don't. Nothing is wrong with eating meat. You personally might not deem in nessesary, but as humans we wouldn't be programed to eat it, hell, we wouldn't have evolved from it, if it was "wrong". We arn't all confused herbavor lifestyes like some kind of cannibal cow. Chosing a different lifestyle is by no means "realizing something is wrong". It's doing something against the grain.
Sorry, but that's what im here for. Y'all can do what you want, but don't even *hint* demonizing what I do.

You may not think that it's unjust, but clearly some people do. You don't just wake up one morning and decide so though; either you're raised that way or something, somewhere points out to you that eating meat might just be wrong.

And besides the fact that evolution has absolutely nothing to do with morals, your argument is kind of irrelevant...I was only pointing out the reasons someone might become a vegetarian or vegan, from the perspective of someone who already is one.

Plain and simple: I think it's wrong. It's not just that I've deemed it unnecessary, I think it's morally wrong to eat meat. I'm not saying you have to think it's wrong, far be it from me to try and force my morals on anyone. Someone else decided it was also wrong, I'm trying to point out why that might have happened.

Lights
Salute You in Your Grave
Lights
July 28th, 2007 at 09:55pm
I don't eat meat because it's muscle. It's tissue. It made up a tiny little animal that at one time, before it was killed, had feelings. Plus, with all the chemicals pumped into the animals these days, it's so incredibly bad for you.
I know everything dies, and I'm well informed on "the cycle of life", but we're advanced enough that we don't need to eat defenseless creatures in order to survive.
My vegan friend is ultimately the one who got me to go vegetarian, and I've actually noticed a HUGE change in my health. I feel like I have more energy and for some reason my asthma isn't as bad as it used to be. My heart even feels better!
Hayley, my vegan friend, got me into PETA but told me to be very wary of what they say sometimes. They are very biased and their opinions arereally one-sided.
I've really gotten myself away from their works, but I still think what they're doing is for something they strongly believe and I have nothing bad to say about that.

But you must open your eyes to the truth. ALL FARMS SLAUGHTER THE ANIMALS.
"free range" animals on farms or still in an enclosed space, but they're just not locked up in a little cage and all the animals are in a big penn.
No matter what these animals feel pain.
I've wathched a ton of PETA videos, and they've all really opened my eyes to what goes on in some factories. I'm not saying all, but a majority.
They're incredibly disgusting, and just thinking about it makes me sick.
PETA youtube account
just go and watch some of the videos.