Don't have an account? Create one!

Vegetarianism/veganism.

AuthorMessage
Stripey-Stripes.
Motor Baby
Stripey-Stripes.
August 5th, 2007 at 06:49am
They can have chocolate, it just has to be made of ingredients that aren't from animal by-products.
So it's like....tofu-chocolate.
It's just as tasty....it just doesn't have milk or whatever in it.

PAGE CLAIM!
Red_of_a_Rose
Jazz Hands
Red_of_a_Rose
August 5th, 2007 at 08:45am
I became a vegan for pretty much 2 reasons...

1. animals have feelings too (yea thats lame to say but you kinda get what im going for...i hope)

2. I was so frickin bored with food. Seriously. And now im trying food i have never tried before!

...and this is weird but vegan cheese is suprisingly really really good...and i dont even like cheese
skystiles.
Banned
skystiles.
August 5th, 2007 at 08:56am
Jet Black Feeling?:

Well not so much weird as (my opinion) incredibly diciplined, I mean OMG no chocolate!!!!!!!!!
I'm pretty sure there's began chocolate. There's vegan cheese, you know.
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
August 5th, 2007 at 07:44pm
streaks in the sky.:
Dimestore Saint;;:
We already are excluded from the food chain, we've created our own. Agriculture, farming, gardening--none of that has anything to do with a natural food chain, at all. We excluded ourselves from the food chain ten thousand years ago because we don't compete the same way other animals do. If you do anything but hunt or gather, you're not a part of the food chain because you're controlling the production of food outside of it.

Whether veganism is natural or not is completely irrelevant because the things you eat aren't natural either. By raising animals for the slaughter rather than hunting them, by planting food rather than gathering it where it grows naturally, by manufacturing food, you are also saying you're too good for the food chain.
Yes, we have. But it's contributed to increased pollution and enviornmental damage. When we were using simple, non-mechanized farming methods starting from the Neolithic Revolution down to the Industrial Revolution, our enviornmental impact was minimal. But the increase of technology in the agricultural field and every other aspect of life has exponentially increased our enviornmental impact.

In other words, the more unnatural humans become, the more damage we do to the environment.

From the very beginning, agriculture did harm to our environment, just because of how it eliminated competition. It threw balance way off and I agree with you--there are probably better ways to get our food, especially considering what we're doing to the planet through our current methods.

However, it's also true that of our methods of producing food, farming animals is the most destructive to the environment--if we must use our current methods of agriculture, cutting out meat production would make it much less hazardous to the earth.

Toro-esqe
Killjoy
Toro-esqe
August 5th, 2007 at 09:50pm
im a vegetarian and i can say that not eating meat is a choice, a personal choice. i never get up on my soapbox and preach the evils of eating meat. i can say that if someone ask me 'why are you a vegetarian?' believe i will let u know of all the harsh circumstances that animals are raised under and the effects on your body.

i also can say that not eating meat isnt as unnatural as some of you have said. my heath has actually gotten better since i became a vegetarian. when i get sick its only because something i have no control over.

for anyone that does eat meat do what makes u happy and makes your life easier. its not my place to dictate how you live. there are some things that are just a necessary evil.
ThinkxHappyxThoughts
Joining The Black Parade
ThinkxHappyxThoughts
August 7th, 2007 at 10:49pm
Okay, I like ham. I like steak. I like turkey. And chicken. And pork.

I'm a vegetarian-going-on-vegan. Because I recently saw a video about the conditions that the animals go through, even dairy cows and egg chickens and suchlike. Old McDonalds Farm isn't green and happy anymore. Anyone else see the video "The video the meat industry doesn't want you to see"? Opened my eyes wide and I felt really nauseous after that delectable piece of pepperoni pizza.
dont stop.
Salute You in Your Grave
dont stop.
August 7th, 2007 at 11:30pm
joy division.:
Jet Black Feeling?:

Well not so much weird as (my opinion) incredibly diciplined, I mean OMG no chocolate!!!!!!!!!
I'm pretty sure there's began chocolate. There's vegan cheese, you know.
Yes there is. It's made of rice milk, I think.
Megan Vegantoast
Bleeding on the Floor
Megan Vegantoast
August 10th, 2007 at 10:20pm
Jet Black Feeling?:
Land Shark:
potatoesatemybabies:
I admire vegetarians (vegans, not so much coz' it's a little weird.) I tried going vegetarian it only lasted about a month coz I missed bacon Very Happy

How are vegans weird?

I"m vegan and I eat tons of chocolate... well, maybe not tons... but I do eat a lot of vegan chocolate when I"m PMSing.
Andrew Morrison.
Jazz Hands
Andrew Morrison.
August 11th, 2007 at 12:56am
I'm vegetarian and I like it. It makes me feel better that I am not eating animals. I am going to become vegan but not for a few years until I'm older.
jason schwartzman
Bleeding on the Floor
jason schwartzman
August 11th, 2007 at 01:17am
Being vegetarian or vegan is all about the decisions you make. That goes with eating meat aswell.

You can choose to be an "unhealty vegetarian or vegan" and you can choose to be an "unhealty omnivore."

If you're a vegetarian, but only live off of a junkfood and salad diet, you're not going to do your body any good.
Just because you're not eating meat doesn't mean you're not still clogging your arteries with the things you're intaking.

Same thing for eating meat.
You can pound down as many steaks and grilled cheese-burgers topped with double bacon as you want,
or you can portion your meat and your vegetables and lead a healty life.

I'm a vegetarian, and I personally think the whole, "It's a healthy lifestyle," isn't exactly true.
Someone who eats meat can be much healtier than someone who doesn't, and vice versa.

Sorry if that was horrifyingly redundant.
DeadInTheWater
Fabulous Killjoy
DeadInTheWater
August 12th, 2007 at 01:30am
I have friends who preach to me about how eating meat is wrong all the time, and it annoys me and my mates to death.

I guess i'm what u'd call a part time vegetarian, i try not to eat meat but sometimes i cant resist.

I dont think i could ever be vegan, i dont see the point, as long as the animals which the produce comes from aren't badly treated.

My advice to vegetarians and vegan is dont preach you will loose friends, i witnessed two people having an argument the other day because a vegetarian wouldnt hug his mate because she had been eating meat. Thats a bit extreme.

Also, i think that if you have a friend who is trying to become a vegetarian you should support that and not tempt them with meat, mates like that made many of my attempts fail.

x.x.x
All_You_Need_Is_Love
Joining The Black Parade
All_You_Need_Is_Love
September 28th, 2007 at 06:39am
I found these for a discussion on another thread, and thought it would be an interesting thing to post here.

The health benefits of a vegetarian diet:
http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/:

Studies have shown that vegetarians (following a well-balanced low-fat high-fibre vegetarian diet) often have lower incidence of coronary artery disease, hypertension, obesity and some forms of cancer.
A vegetarian diet tends to be lower in total fat, and vegetarians tend to eat proportionally more polyunsaturated fat to saturated fat compared with non-vegetarians. (Animal products are the major sources of dietary saturated fat).

www.webmd.com:
Susan Berkow, PhD, CNS, and Neal Barnard, MD, of the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) reviewed 87 past studies by various researchers. They found that vegetarians were less likely to be obese and that vegetarian diets brought greater weight loss.

If properly planned, vegetarian diets are healthy and can provide all the nutrients a person needs. As a group, vegetarians have:
Lower cholesterol levels.
Lower body mass indexes.
Less risk of dying from coronary artery disease (CAD).
Less risk of getting high blood pressure.
Less risk of getting prostate or colorectal cancer.
Less risk of getting type 2 diabetes.

www.webmd.com:

A diet rich in meats and sweets can boost the risk of breast cancer in older women by 60% or more compared with a diet rich in vegetables, soy, and fresh fish, a new study of Asian women shows.

While there is no breast cancer diet, per se, the researchers did find that certain dietary patterns can boost the risk of developing breast cancer.

Breast cancer rates are typically low among Asian women, but as their breast cancer rates have climbed steadily in recent years, experts have begun to focus on the effect that adopting Western eating habits has on Asians. "There is a hypothesis that a Western diet increases the risk of breast cancer," Marilyn Tseng, PhD, a study co-author, tells WebMD.

So her team carefully evaluated the diets of 1,459 breast cancer patients and 1,556 healthy women in Shanghai to see if they could find a link between diet and breast cancer risk. "It's the first time a Western diet pattern has been linked with breast cancer in Asian women," says Tseng, an associate professor in the population science division at Fox Chase Cancer Center in Philadelphia. The effect held true only for the older women.

Personally, I'm a vegetarian. I eat only local (I live in a hippie dairy state... haha), organic, free-range dairy and eggs... but I do eat those things.
DIE! DIE! DIE!
Bleeding on the Floor
DIE! DIE! DIE!
September 28th, 2007 at 06:50am
Like I said previously, I can cite just as many sources you can proving you wrong. The vegan omni debate about heath is a useless one: the only difference between our diets healthwise is that we don't need to artifically render our food to survive on it. All we do is cook and presto.
All_You_Need_Is_Love
Joining The Black Parade
All_You_Need_Is_Love
September 28th, 2007 at 07:13am
DIE! DIE! DIE!:
Like I said previously, I can cite just as many sources you can proving you wrong. The vegan omni debate about heath is a useless one: the only difference between our diets healthwise is that we don't need to artifically render our food to survive on it. All we do is cook and presto.

ALL you do?
So Tyson doesn't brand, chain down, and murder the animals?
You cook live animals?
How interesting.
TaraIsBack!
Bleeding on the Floor
TaraIsBack!
September 28th, 2007 at 12:22pm
Your body, your life, your choice.
I feel bad that an animal died so I can enjoy a steak, but the animal didn't die BECAUSE of me. It was already gone and I just picked it up at the store....

But I do eat every bit. If it's already dead and stuff, why waste it? That to me is the really sad part.
the.reaper.wore.pink
Motor Baby
the.reaper.wore.pink
September 28th, 2007 at 03:52pm
I think that being a vegetarian or a vegan because of health issues is fine but the part about animal killing raises some questions like, if you really care about the feelings of animals, what about plants? Plants are treated as equally as animals are in the commercial industry. It might sound crazy but there have been some studies proving plants do possess emotions. Plants are also force-fed nutrients for them to grow quickly and big, mutated if you say so. Of course, if you care about animals feelings, why not care about plants? Its not that plants are any less.
If this is the case, what are we going to eat now?
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
September 28th, 2007 at 05:00pm
DIE! DIE! DIE!:

Read the ingredients on everything you eat for a day, you'll see you probably eat as many "artificially rendered" foods as I do.

It seems you aren't as educated about vegetarian food as you think you are: many vegetarians don't use meat analogues often, if at all. I won't lie, I still use them, but the fact is you don't have to and sometimes I don't. With seitan, falafel, tofu, tempeh, and all kinds of other foods, you just "cook and presto." You can make soy milk in your kitchen with a soy milk press, you can make almond milk even more easily. Veganism is only artificial foods if you choose to eat that way, just like it's only healthier if you choose to eat that way.

All_You_Need_Is_Love
Joining The Black Parade
All_You_Need_Is_Love
September 28th, 2007 at 05:16pm
the.reaper.wore.pink:
I think that being a vegetarian or a vegan because of health issues is fine but the part about animal killing raises some questions like, if you really care about the feelings of animals, what about plants? Plants are treated as equally as animals are in the commercial industry. It might sound crazy but there have been some studies proving plants do possess emotions. Plants are also force-fed nutrients for them to grow quickly and big, mutated if you say so. Of course, if you care about animals feelings, why not care about plants? Its not that plants are any less.
If this is the case, what are we going to eat now?

The difference between:
and...
...is a huge one.
All_You_Need_Is_Love
Joining The Black Parade
All_You_Need_Is_Love
September 28th, 2007 at 05:17pm
JustTara:
I feel bad that an animal died so I can enjoy a steak, but the animal didn't die BECAUSE of me. It was already gone and I just picked it up at the store....

But I do eat every bit. If it's already dead and stuff, why waste it? That to me is the really sad part.

Actually, the animal did die for whoever purchased it.
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
September 28th, 2007 at 05:44pm
JustTara:

If there weren't demand for the product [in this case, meat] production would have to be reduced. Obviously one person all alone doesn't effect it that much, but denial that one person's actions will be a part of a group's actions in this case is just childish.