Don't have an account? Create one!

Vegetarianism/veganism.

AuthorMessage
DIE! DIE! DIE!
Bleeding on the Floor
DIE! DIE! DIE!
July 20th, 2007 at 08:05am
Ok..so it's decided..everytime someone does something stupid, we have yo say "STOP GIVING YOUR KIDS APPLEJUICE"

I tried to find something factual. I know a lot of proveg sites bash meat and vice versa. I don't think they overexaggerate though, they just don't tell you the chances of those things happening.

As for Sowing, basically, yes. When I have kids (If I don't eat them or stone them or something weird) I want to expose them to everything I can. Im not going to impose religion or ways of life on them if I can't help it (Im sure some things are inevitable just from them watching how I act)

Megan, for some reason I see the guy in your avatar munching on a veggie burger and it;s making me giggle (I tend to see avatars as the people using them XD)
&Thanks for being a good sport
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
July 20th, 2007 at 08:05am
I find the debate over whether veganism is natural or not to be completely irrelevant. Nothing about the way any of us eats in our culture is natural. Pineapples in December, apples in summer? Produce flown from Brazil to Connecticut? Animals raised in factories or on farms? Unless you hunt and gather, you're no more "natural" in your diet than any vegan, nor should you have to be in this culture.

Megan Vegantoast
Bleeding on the Floor
Megan Vegantoast
July 20th, 2007 at 02:00pm
LoversHeartDisease:

Megan, for some reason I see the guy in your avatar munching on a veggie burger and it;s making me giggle (I tend to see avatars as the people using them XD)
&Thanks for being a good sport

Haha. Billie Joe eating a veggie burger? Yeah, I could actually see that.

And you're welcome. I'll try to find some sort of unbiased site about meat... though, that's going to be difficult seeing as everyone has an opinion today.

Caitlin Caustic;;:
I find the debate over whether veganism is natural or not to be completely irrelevant. Nothing about the way any of us eats in our culture is natural. Pineapples in December, apples in summer? Produce flown from Brazil to Connecticut? Animals raised in factories or on farms? Unless you hunt and gather, you're no more "natural" in your diet than any vegan, nor should you have to be in this culture.

Then again, we'll probably never know how our ancestors really ate. We've evolved to the point where fruitarianism is way out of the question and since we don't ahve to look a certain way to ahve kids out gene pool has become huge and evolution has basically stopped.

Fruitarian is where all you eat is fruit... and some people consider it "natural"... I really don't think it is.
Kaede
Bleeding on the Floor
Kaede
July 20th, 2007 at 04:00pm
Sowing Season:
I really think you can live a healthy lifestyle as a meat eater or a vegan. Most vegans and vegetarians know that not eating meat is not going to stop anything. The thought of eating a animal is disgusting to them. It's up to everyone to choose what's best for them. Like a diet that made someone lose 30 pounds might make me gain 30 pounds. Everyone's body is different and what works for you might not work for me. It's almost kinda silly to discuss this. No one is going to change anyone's mind. Rolling Eyes

I love meat. In fact I want a hamburger right now however this does not mean I don't care about how the animals are killed. I believe animals shouldn't be tortured or be injected with any type of growth hormones. If an opportunity comes up for to help this cause I take it. So it is possible to eat meat and still care about animals.

I completely agree with you.
^Vegetarianism/veganism is a choice of life. Respect their choices.
(I'm not vegan by the way.)
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
July 20th, 2007 at 05:17pm
[quote="Megan Vegantoast"]
LoversHeartDisease:

Caitlin Caustic;;:

Then again, we'll probably never know how our ancestors really ate. We've evolved to the point where fruitarianism is way out of the question and since we don't ahve to look a certain way to ahve kids out gene pool has become huge and evolution has basically stopped.

Fruitarian is where all you eat is fruit... and some people consider it "natural"... I really don't think it is.

We have a good idea of how they ate, as before about 9000 BC ["Agricultural Revolution"], our species were solely hunter gatherers. If you look at cultures that still are hunter gatherers, you get a decent idea of how our ancestors survived. Obviously diets would vary from the Kalahari to other climates and regions, but it's the same concept. Before that I believe I read that our species were just foragers/gatherers, meaning if they ate any animal proteins it would be scavenged, but I'm not sure.

My point is that the debate over whether vegetarianism/veganism/fruitarianism is natural is irrelevant, because none of us involved in this debate nor anyone we know eats "naturally." I don't care if you have a garden and go bow/gun hunting, because that's not natural either--planting your food, eliminating your competition for that food, and so on is completely unnatural. I make no claims that veganism is the one natural state of being, just that it can be natural because we are omnivores and can eat at any level of the food chain.

As for agriculture and whether it's "natural," I suggest looking into Daniel Quinn's work, and branch out to find his sources from there, because I'm sure my explanation isn't as clear as it should be.

KateConspiracy
Killjoy
KateConspiracy
July 21st, 2007 at 06:30am
I myself am not veg, but i wanted to point out that although yes, being veg can cause you to get sick, so can eating meat. Vegans can't get salmonella, mad cow disease or other meat/dairy related diseases. And if you are veg and take dietary supplement pills that get their calcium and nutrients from non-animal sorces which is possible, than they mostl ikely wont get sick. [I did my research]
I don't think it's wrong that animals are used for food, because animals themselves eat other animals. I just don't like the way animals in factory farms are treated; being forced to live in a small space with a million other cows, pigs, lambs, chicken and even fish for your whole life until you are inhumanly slaughtered shouldn't be the way these animals should live. That's also how diseases like MCD spread so fast; because the animals so close to each other. I also don't like the way they are killed; the animals could be killed humanly and quickly, but instead most are bashed in the head, which doesnt always kill them immidiantly, so they encounter immense ammounts of pain before they die.
I can't really say much because I, once again, am not vegan or vegatarian, but i support people who are and have great respect for them to be able to give up something they're used to like meat.
But before i finish i just want to mention that Peta and Peta2 are a bit, well, ridiculous. There are more kinds of animal cruelty then just eating meat, and PEta uses funds to promote terroism [such as the blowing up of animal testing labs] and contradict themselves entirely.
ImNotOkay3505
Salute You in Your Grave
ImNotOkay3505
July 21st, 2007 at 06:39am
^PETA and PETA 2...oh man i hate them. They are liars. On one part, they say that dairy cows have it worse than..what do you call them? meat cows? ok whatever. but that's not true. I have visitied dairy farms and they love their cows there and have had them for over 15 years. I am a vegetarian, and have been for 7 months now, but I'm kind of in a bad position now because I BECAME a vegetarian because of PETA, and now that they screwed me over I don't know what to believe anymore. I don't think I can stop being a vegetarian now, because I will feel very weak and will lose the respect I have for myself. But it is getting really hard. I'm starting to get meat cravings again, and I haven't had those until just recently. My mom ate McDonalds chicken nuggets the other day in front of me, and I nearly died. I came so close to eating it. I sniffed it, lmao, but then I thought of the chicken trucks that I see everyday [i live in Delaware], and I really couldn't do it. But to the point, there is nothing wrong with vegetarianism or veganism. I have an enourmous amount of respect for vegans, and I have respect for myself, because of the willpower that I have to not eat my grandma's fried chicken [not to sound cocky or anything]. I just hate vegetarians/vegans that hate everyone who eats meat. and i hate PETA. yeah I already mentioned that. [www.petakillsanimals.com]
DIE! DIE! DIE!
Bleeding on the Floor
DIE! DIE! DIE!
July 21st, 2007 at 07:40am
*shrugs*
You don't have to be Veg and love animals. Lots of the respectable, amazing people on this thread *points at Billy Junior* have their reasons, but like I have said, if you feel a need to help animals, you can do it in more productive ways. I you like meat then eat it. If it makes you sick and whatnot, forget it.

A fruititation...odd. I would say that's the least "cruel" (instead of eating living plants and animals, your aborting plants XDDD
But JEZ! That sounds dangerous. Anyone have any info on how that's a lifestyle???

& That site is amazing. Animal Scam is my favorite, but I love Peta Kills Animals.
From what I have seen, the best animal welfare group seems to be NAIA (I think that's it)
Those orginazations are so dangerous. Even well respected ones like The Human Society are actually run by wackos. That's why I often encourage animal lovers to take their own action and not back up large groups...
KateConspiracy
Killjoy
KateConspiracy
July 21st, 2007 at 08:13am
unapologetic apathy.:
^PETA and PETA 2...oh man i hate them. They are liars. On one part, they say that dairy cows have it worse than..what do you call them? meat cows? ok whatever. but that's not true. I have visitied dairy farms and they love their cows there and have had them for over 15 years. I am a vegetarian, and have been for 7 months now, but I'm kind of in a bad position now because I BECAME a vegetarian because of PETA, and now that they screwed me over I don't know what to believe anymore. I don't think I can stop being a vegetarian now, because I will feel very weak and will lose the respect I have for myself. But it is getting really hard. I'm starting to get meat cravings again, and I haven't had those until just recently. My mom ate McDonalds chicken nuggets the other day in front of me, and I nearly died. I came so close to eating it. I sniffed it, lmao, but then I thought of the chicken trucks that I see everyday [i live in Delaware], and I really couldn't do it. But to the point, there is nothing wrong with vegetarianism or veganism. I have an enourmous amount of respect for vegans, and I have respect for myself, because of the willpower that I have to not eat my grandma's fried chicken [not to sound cocky or anything]. I just hate vegetarians/vegans that hate everyone who eats meat. and i hate PETA. yeah I already mentioned that. [www.petakillsanimals.com]

Hah, my moms fried chicken is the reason i'm not veg. That and.. actually a lot of things i dont have the will power.
If you have meat crazings you could try substitue meat. Yea, I know it sounds disgusting but they really taste like the real thing. And, although PETA is ridiculous, there is a forum on peta2 of the brands of substitute-whatever-you-want. Or at least, there was.
Megan Vegantoast
Bleeding on the Floor
Megan Vegantoast
July 21st, 2007 at 08:13am
LoversHeartDisease:
*shrugs*
You don't have to be Veg and love animals. Lots of the respectable, amazing people on this thread *points at Billy Junior* have their reasons, but like I have said, if you feel a need to help animals, you can do it in more productive ways. I you like meat then eat it. If it makes you sick and whatnot, forget it.

A fruititation...odd. I would say that's the least "cruel" (instead of eating living plants and animals, your aborting plants XDDD
But JEZ! That sounds dangerous. Anyone have any info on how that's a lifestyle???

& That site is amazing. Animal Scam is my favorite, but I love Peta Kills Animals.
From what I have seen, the best animal welfare group seems to be NAIA (I think that's it)
Those organizations are so dangerous. Even well respected ones like The Human Society are actually run by wackos. That's why I often encourage animal lovers to take their own action and not back up large groups...

I know a little about fruitarianism and enough to know that I would never even consider doing it.

Its a diet where you only eat things that wont hurt plants. Though, to be considered fruitarian, you ahve to eat at least 70% fruit in your diet.

Fruitarianism is very risky because you will likely become deficient in vitamin B12. People who follow this diet also have a much lower muscle mass, fat content, and can become anemic as well as get other deficiencies.

People who follow fruitarianism tend to believe that their diet is natural and cures all diseases. They back up their diet by claiming that our ancestors followed fruitarianism long before man discovered fire.

That's just briefly touching on the subject. You should google fruitarianism and read up on it.

I find reading stuff like this really interesting. =]

P.S. The aborting plants thing made me choke on my soy milk. xD
KateConspiracy
Killjoy
KateConspiracy
July 21st, 2007 at 08:21am
LoversHeartDisease:
*shrugs*

Those orginazations are so dangerous. Even well respected ones like The Human Society are actually run by wackos. That's why I often encourage animal lovers to take their own action and not back up large groups...

Yea, that I know about the wackos [hence, PETA's fund for blowing up labs] i stick mainly to donations to the ASPCA cus its legit, and you the people who work for it really care about the animals.
And frutitarianism is where all you eat is fruits and nuts, only things that can regenerate naturally. It can make you very sick, it reduces the amount of white blood cells you t body has. They dont eat anything cooked over 116 degrees farenheit because its harder to digest.
http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=20343
those msg boards have a bit of info on it ^^
DIE! DIE! DIE!
Bleeding on the Floor
DIE! DIE! DIE!
July 21st, 2007 at 08:25am
Its my personal joke

Because seeds are like a plants fetus, therefore when we eat them, we are aboring them and stopping them from becoming fruit trees
KateConspiracy
Killjoy
KateConspiracy
July 21st, 2007 at 08:32am
haha it took me 10 minutes to get that but i did XD
makes sense though
followill.
In The Murder Scene
followill.
July 21st, 2007 at 02:23pm
Me and my mate are veggies! w00p!!!
insane clown posse.
In The Murder Scene
insane clown posse.
July 21st, 2007 at 02:47pm
Alice666:
Me and my mate are veggies! w00p!!!
Please do not spam. Anymore. Thanks.
Chat speak is also not allowed. Please read the rules before you post here again.
m45tq
Awake and Unafraid
m45tq
July 21st, 2007 at 07:15pm
I tried to go veg at the begining of this year, not really for the animal reasons, more for the health reasons, but I started getting sick. "/ It was really strange.
The Doctor
Salute You in Your Grave
The Doctor
July 21st, 2007 at 09:06pm
I'm a vegetarian, and I have been for nearly 3 years. I became a vegetarian, because I hated the way some animals were treated.

I don't lecture others about eating meat, and I get offended when people try to lecture me about not eating meat. It's my choice, and I don't see why others find it so hard to comprehend. One of my friends since birth was raised as a christian, and her family, as much as I love them, always try to get me to change my mind whenever I see them. It drives me insane, because I've never lectured them about eating meat.
My mother was a vegetarian whwen she was younger, and so she makes sure I have a balanced diet. I'm a very fussy eater, and sometimes it is hard, especially when we go camping, and we don't have a coocker, microwave or half the stuff you usually have in the kitchen.
I do admit, I sometimes miss eating meat. Where I live, many of the supermakets don't have many vegetarian options, let alone proper vegan ones. Theres a far wider range of the meat, and sometimes I see things with meat in, and I wish they'd do the same but with Quorn or Tofu.

When I am older, and have children of my own, their diet will depend on whether their father eats meat or not. If he does, then they will have a mixed diet. When I cook, it will be a vegetarian meal, when their father cooks, it can be meat, and I'll sort myself out. If he is vegetarian, then they can eat meat once a week, and we'll take it in turns to do it.

One of my best friends has been vegetarian since birth, as are her 3 younger sisters. They get a balanced diet, and although they're all quite skinny, they don't suffer any health issues. I find it quite refreshing, because if I go to any other of my friends' houses, they somehow find it hard to feed me.
Megan Vegantoast
Bleeding on the Floor
Megan Vegantoast
July 22nd, 2007 at 03:58am
new york cassie.:
I tried to go veg at the begining of this year, not really for the animal reasons, more for the health reasons, but I started getting sick. "/ It was really strange.

Did you take a multivitamin?
Did you eat a wide variety of fruits, vegetables, and grains?
Were you making sure you ate enough calories?

One of the biggest mistakes that new vegetarians make are not eating healthily and not taking vitamins.
DIE! DIE! DIE!
Bleeding on the Floor
DIE! DIE! DIE!
July 22nd, 2007 at 07:34am
YEH THAT BETTER MAKE YOUR CHOKE YOU PLANT ABORTER!!
Your thew worst plant aborter ever! Even worse then people who survive on 70% Plant fetus.
Feel free to use that line on your pals BTW.

Well we all are. I still feel like, if you have meat cravings, I mean if you like, it, why bother being a vegan at all? We have already established that there are other ways to help animals and be healthy >_>

Whatever, It's just something that escapes me.
The Doctor
Salute You in Your Grave
The Doctor
July 22nd, 2007 at 03:59pm
Was that directed at me? Because if so, I'm not a vegan.

I still feel like, if you have meat cravings, I mean if you like, it, why bother being a vegan at all?

I find that quite ignorant. Would you say something like that to a recovering alcoholic or drug addict? No, you wouldn't. Yes, I may sometimes have cravings, but that's natural. That's what happens when you give something up, and I'm not ashamed of that.

Why are you so against Vegetarianism and Veganism?