Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
October 8th, 2007 at 08:42pm
Atchoo.:
All_You_Need_Is_Love:
Atchoo.:
Yeah, there's that too.

Do any vegetarian's ever think that by not eating meat, they're wasting the meat? Meaning that the animal died for no reason?

By purchasing something, you are supporting it and contributing to it.

The less people who eat meat, the less animals need to be killed and put out.

Just because something some people believe is evil has already taken place doesn't make it okay to support it. Just because an animal has already been tortured and killed does not mean that I (or any other vegetarian/vegan) believe it's okay.

Think of the toy recall that took place just a little while ago: the led paint was already used, so by not buying the toys, wouldn't we be wasting that?

Oh, I was just curious; I was just wondering if anyone felt that way.

"The less people who eat meat, the less animals need to be killed and put out."

^^ I don't know if that's quite true though.
Wouldn't they just throw away what's not used?

Or are they actually killing less animals now?
If less of a product is consumed, then demand goes down. If demand goes down, production needs to go down as well or else the company is wasting money. Obviously it isn't always this cookie cutter perfect, but that's a rough sketch of what has to happen in order for the company to survive.

made from neon
Salute You in Your Grave
made from neon
October 8th, 2007 at 10:06pm
I don't know what I am, really. I'm a person who belives "If I can kill it, and watch it die, then I won't feel bad about eating it", so I don't eat anything that comes from a cow, pig, or sheep. Chicken I'm kind of sketchy about, and fish I really don't care about, because I don't eat them that often anyway, but when I do, I don't feel guilty, and I don't wear leather or fur. Even faux fur grosses me out.

I could never be vegan though, at least in my current situation, because I'm young, living with frickin' carnivore parents and it's hard enough to be vegetarian-ish. Maybe when I move out or something. But anyway, I have a question...

Do any other people really hate it when people abbriviate the term 'Vegetarian'? To something like 'Veg-head' or 'Veggie'???

I don't know if anyone has to deal with it but I certianly do because the only people I have to talk to are lazy grade eight kids who don't know how to speak without offending anyone. I.E, "Veg-heads are gay", and stuff like that.
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
October 8th, 2007 at 11:22pm
Satan's Angel:
I don't know what I am, really. I'm a person who belives "If I can kill it, and watch it die, then I won't feel bad about eating it", so I don't eat anything that comes from a cow, pig, or sheep. Chicken I'm kind of sketchy about, and fish I really don't care about, because I don't eat them that often anyway, but when I do, I don't feel guilty, and I don't wear leather or fur. Even faux fur grosses me out.

I could never be vegan though, at least in my current situation, because I'm young, living with frickin' carnivore parents and it's hard enough to be vegetarian-ish. Maybe when I move out or something. But anyway, I have a question...

Do any other people really hate it when people abbriviate the term 'Vegetarian'? To something like 'Veg-head' or 'Veggie'???

I don't know if anyone has to deal with it but I certianly do because the only people I have to talk to are lazy grade eight kids who don't know how to speak without offending anyone. I.E, "Veg-heads are gay", and stuff like that.

It doesn't bug me when people say "veggie" to refer to a vegetarian or something along those lines unless they're doing it to be a jackass, and to me it's pretty easy to tell if they are.

Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
October 9th, 2007 at 01:43am
i'm becoming a vegetarian,i'vetryied before but this time i'm doing it for reals.
any advice?
DIE! DIE! DIE!
Bleeding on the Floor
DIE! DIE! DIE!
October 9th, 2007 at 11:25pm
Yeh, don't waste your time XD

If you like it, eat it

If your not into meat, then do it. No use forcing yourself to eat food you hate.

but if it's hard, you probably like it.

So why bother?
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
October 9th, 2007 at 11:48pm
illustrated_romance:
i'm becoming a vegetarian,i'vetryied before but this time i'm doing it for reals.
any advice?

First off, if you really want to, ignore people who say things like that it's a waste of your time.

Secondly, make sure you try protein and iron sources other than boca burgers and so on. I eat stuff like that pretty often but it's good to try things like legumes, tofu, tempeh and so on just because it's cheaper and you can be more creative cooking with it. Also, if you can afford a cookbook or two, check out Vegan With a Vengeance--I know you said vegetarian, but they're great recipes anyway.

You've probably already tried this if you've tried going vegetarian before, but try cutting out different kinds of meat gradually, starting with the kinds you like less and moving on to the kinds you like more--for instance, if you really like chicken, cut that out last.

If you're worried about your health you could try taking a multi vitamin, just make sure it's labeled vegetarian--the nutrients as well as inactive ingredients can come from animal sources, but lots of brands have a vegetarian vitamin. However if you're careful about what you eat at first it gradually becomes easier to make sure you're getting the right nutrition without taking a supplement.

All_You_Need_Is_Love
Joining The Black Parade
All_You_Need_Is_Love
October 10th, 2007 at 12:11am
DIE! DIE! DIE!:
Yeh, don't waste your time XD

If you like it, eat it

If your not into meat, then do it. No use forcing yourself to eat food you hate.

but if it's hard, you probably like it.

So why bother?

Morals.
Health.
The enviornment.

Very Happy
DIE! DIE! DIE!
Bleeding on the Floor
DIE! DIE! DIE!
October 10th, 2007 at 12:20am
I'll check on the last one. I agree with that on some levels, but we are going to wipe out the earth in every other way before overfarming.

Being vegan doesn't make you a more moral person, so I am not quite agreeing with that
And health depends on how you treat youe diet. I know many healthy omnis and many unhealthy vegans. The idea that you will be more healthy is a load of crap.
All_You_Need_Is_Love
Joining The Black Parade
All_You_Need_Is_Love
October 10th, 2007 at 12:22am
"Being vegan doesn't make you a more moral person"
That's not what I was saying.
Morals often play a part in a person's decision to stop eating meat.

Statistically speaking, yes, vegetarians are more healthy.
Does that mean every vegetarian is healthy? Of course not.
That means according to years and years of research, a vegetarian who watches their diet tends to be more healthy than a meat eater who watches theirs.

I honestly don't know why I'm responding to you again. So, peace.
DIE! DIE! DIE!
Bleeding on the Floor
DIE! DIE! DIE!
October 10th, 2007 at 12:27am
realistically speaking, there are a lot more omnivores then vegans, and there are a lot LESS omnivores that give a crap about what they eat too. If everyone actually concidered what they were eating, i guarantee it would be an even match.

If you can throw a study about two people that carefully monitor their diets, one being vegan and one being an omnivore, and the vegan was healthier, I would be more inclinded to believe you.

But given that a vegan is often sickly unless they actually watch what they eat/or take the right pills, I wouldn't trust one study anyway.

Yeh, I don't know why you responded to me either.
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
October 10th, 2007 at 02:39am
Once you get used to the diet, you don't have to watch what you eat anymore, that's the point I've been trying to get across. After a while it becomes second nature. I haven't taken a multivitamin in months and the only reason I'm monitoring my food at the moment is because I'm training for a road race in November and I need to make sure I'm getting enough of the right foods--my nutritional needs are changing, and so I'm trying to watch my diet again.

The moral idea isn't that it makes you more moral so much as that it works with one's morals. If your morals make you feel guilty about eating animals, then your morals would be a reason for going vegan.

Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
October 10th, 2007 at 04:49am
Dimestore Saint;;:
illustrated_romance:
any advice?

First off, if you really want to, ignore people who say things like that it's a waste of your time.

Secondly, make sure you try protein and iron sources other than boca burgers and so on. I eat stuff like that pretty often but it's good to try things like legumes, tofu, tempeh and so on just because it's cheaper and you can be more creative cooking with it. Also, if you can afford a cookbook or two, check out Vegan With a Vengeance--I know you said vegetarian, but they're great recipes anyway.

You've probably already tried this if you've tried going vegetarian before, but try cutting out different kinds of meat gradually, starting with the kinds you like less and moving on to the kinds you like more--for instance, if you really like chicken, cut that out last.

If you're worried about your health you could try taking a multi vitamin, just make sure it's labeled vegetarian--the nutrients as well as inactive ingredients can come from animal sources, but lots of brands have a vegetarian vitamin. However if you're careful about what you eat at first it gradually becomes easier to make sure you're getting the right nutrition without taking a supplement.

well my mom just forced me to eat chicken soup andwas yelling at me for being a veggieterian.
sweet disposition.
Banned
sweet disposition.
October 10th, 2007 at 07:47pm
Dimestore Saint;;:
Atchoo.:
All_You_Need_Is_Love:
Atchoo.:
Yeah, there's that too.

Do any vegetarian's ever think that by not eating meat, they're wasting the meat? Meaning that the animal died for no reason?

By purchasing something, you are supporting it and contributing to it.

The less people who eat meat, the less animals need to be killed and put out.

Just because something some people believe is evil has already taken place doesn't make it okay to support it. Just because an animal has already been tortured and killed does not mean that I (or any other vegetarian/vegan) believe it's okay.

Think of the toy recall that took place just a little while ago: the led paint was already used, so by not buying the toys, wouldn't we be wasting that?

Oh, I was just curious; I was just wondering if anyone felt that way.

"The less people who eat meat, the less animals need to be killed and put out."

^^ I don't know if that's quite true though.
Wouldn't they just throw away what's not used?

Or are they actually killing less animals now?
If less of a product is consumed, then demand goes down. If demand goes down, production needs to go down as well or else the company is wasting money. Obviously it isn't always this cookie cutter perfect, but that's a rough sketch of what has to happen in order for the company to survive.

Ah right.
Thanks for putting me right.
sweet disposition.
Banned
sweet disposition.
October 10th, 2007 at 07:51pm
I wanna go vegetarian too.
I did it once before.

But on Christmas Day, I had turky...
I don't know how it happened.

I didn't enjoy it.
I don't enjoy meat.

I just... eat it.

I would go vegetarian again, but my family is so unsupportive and refuses to buy me the foods I'd need AKA more vegetables and stuff.

Sad

How can you convince parents that it won't cost them more?? Wink

(Sorry if this is going off topic!)
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
October 10th, 2007 at 08:59pm
To convince them it won't cost more, make sure it won't yourself. Learn how to cook with dried beans, tofu and veggies--it's cheaper than meat and meat analogues.

amber.
Killjoy
amber.
October 10th, 2007 at 10:31pm
im a vegetarian...ive been one for 3 weeks and 2 days now and i already feel a lot better than i did when i ate meat...ahhh help meeee free me from the land of bland signatures!!!!! Surprised
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
October 11th, 2007 at 02:30pm
DIE! DIE! DIE!:

But given that a vegan is often sickly unless they actually watch what they eat/or take the right pills, I wouldn't trust one study anyway.

Please get your facts straight before posting things like this Rolling Eyes

Where is that coming from? Out of your arse, maybe? Rolling Eyes
DIE! DIE! DIE!
Bleeding on the Floor
DIE! DIE! DIE!
October 12th, 2007 at 06:14pm
XD no, it's pretty common knowlege. I did a paper for health class where I had to interview doctors and health experts and very few of them were supportive of the diet.

I also went on a PETA form and talked to people firsthand. Almost everyone mentioned having health issues until they started taking account to their eating habits.
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
October 12th, 2007 at 06:54pm
I spoke to three different pediatricians about being a vegan when I was 14, 16 and then now, and they all said it was fine as long as I actually ate vegetables.

About the PETA forum, though. Anytime you change your eating habits at all, for any reason, you have to watch what you eat for a little while. This goes for everything from starting a new work out regiment to becoming a vegan. Unhealthy if you don't watch what you eat != unhealthy as a whole.

Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
October 13th, 2007 at 01:49am
I've been a vegetarian for three years now, and I have never taken any pills. Yes, that's right, I've never become anemic, I've have never felt physically "weak" from becoming a vegetarian. No health issues.

I think you'll find the vegetarians and vegans that do have health issues don't eat properly, and don't get the iron and protein that they are supposed to.

Don't stereotype all vegetarians and vegans by saying that they are "sickly". That's just silly.